AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-08-27, 05:15   Link #41
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
The fight he couldn't see to the end. Seriously, if Obama wants to use his memory to fuel the drive, he had better do it fast.
If you want my opinion, just fixing the economy would be an already "two four-year term president-qualified" task. Have you ever thought about the pressure and temptations when your in the position well-known as the "most powerful"?(not to mention "first minority president role"---i can't bear to see how failures would determine the U.S's ethnic futures.) Even trying to not do something crazy and selfish would count as awesome.

No offense to all healthcare "lovers", but have you tried looking at other nation's health situations? I say you're irritatingly too wanting.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 05:26   Link #42
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Look at Singapore's one. They ran a pretty good one. But because the place is a microstate, it is not known if it can be applied to larger populations.

Obama would have an easier time if the rest stop playing politics and get real on the issues. I have a feeling that most of the politicians are claimed patriots, not real ones.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 05:44   Link #43
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Look at Singapore's one. They ran a pretty good one. But because the place is a microstate, it is not known if it can be applied to larger populations.
I sure hope, for once, people would mention Poverty Africa's saddening ancient situation. I wouldn't blame Obama if he felt a little positively biased and sympathetic towards the continent.

Quote:
Obama would have an easier time if the rest stop playing politics and get real on the issues. I have a feeling that most of the politicians are claimed patriots, not real ones.
That's not just a "feeling", that's "truth".
Old 2009-08-27, 06:25   Link #44
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

The state of healthcare in the US is not shameful only if one looks at non-industrialised countries. Among the industrialised nations, the US system has little to shout about.

As I overheard on BBC Radio, "Africa is not poor. It is poorly managed." Of course, that can be said for Burma and Iraq. (Personally, I don't think Afghanistan is in that list, but I digress.)

And no, Obama cannot afford to just focus on the economy. The "perfect storm" is coming. Social Security is in trouble, and of course we have healthcare. Business as usual is not really an option. If the US doesn't start accepting painful reform, I cannot imagine how the implosion can be avoided.

Don't forget: Even a humble man like Ike cannot help but poke fun at himself with this quote. On it, even Washington himself can be said to fall in the second category. So, I do not doubt for a second that he knows what he's getting himself into.

"Any man who wants to be president is either an egomaniac or crazy."

Last edited by yezhanquan; 2009-08-27 at 06:38.
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 06:42   Link #45
Cipher

Quote:
The state of healthcare in the US is not shameful only if one looks at non-industrialised countries. Among the industrialised nations, the US system has little to shout about.
So only "industrialized" nations are acknowledged as "fitting" comparisons? Try Looking for the ratio of poor to rich countries worldwide.

Quote:
As I overheard on BBC Radio, "Africa is not poor. It is poorly managed." Of course, that can be said for Burma and Iraq. (Personally, I don't think Afghanistan is in that list, but I digress.)
Africa's several nations are inherently impoverished. Being poorly managed is just one of the many reasons why these nations face these crisis. The people of Africa are not to be blamed...some have valiantly strive for development and security but the damage is too great of a task---it needs help.

Quote:
And no, Obama cannot afford to just focus on the economy. The "perfect storm" is coming. Social Security is in trouble, and of course we have healthcare. Business as usual is not really an option. If the US doesn't start accepting painful reform, I cannot imagine how the implosion can be avoided.
While its certainly necessary to protect the already established development, The danger is too exaggerated.
Old 2009-08-27, 06:44   Link #46
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Well, exaggerated or not, at the end of the day, it's the US's problem. Only they can solve their problems. That of course goes for almost every country on this planet. As someone in my country once said (Singaporeans would know), "No one owes us a living."
Old 2009-08-27, 07:00   Link #47
Cipher

Quote:
Well, exaggerated or not, at the end of the day, it's the US's problem. Only they can solve their problems. That of course goes for almost every country on this planet. As someone in my country once said (Singaporeans would know), "No one owes us a living."
I believe in a better way of salvation: cooperation. I hope the time comes where everyone realizes the necessity of an austere "world unification"---A time where world leaders embraces each others' differences and values, a time where Singaporeans help the Americans and vice versa, and so that this era of self-centeredness would come to an end. I feel so cheesy.
Old 2009-08-27, 07:04   Link #48
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Co-operation is now in place in many diplomatic settings. Maybe, you're going for something beyond that.
Old 2009-08-27, 07:08   Link #49
Cipher

Quote:
Co-operation is now in place in many diplomatic settings. Maybe, you're going for something beyond that.
yeah i am. Today's "co-operation" is frankly shaky and resource-motivated ...am i getting vibes of your opposition?
Old 2009-08-27, 07:12   Link #50
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Nope. You just remind me of Watanuki from CLAMP's canon: you may have to temper altruistic impulse with self-regard.
Old 2009-08-27, 10:18   Link #51
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
I admired Ted Kennedy for the years of service he has done for the American people. There are not many politicians i trust but at least when i listened to Ted Kennedy i felt he cared and i mean honestly cared about doing the right thing and helping the common people. Even till the end he really was like a Lion and i admired that even after finding out about his Brain Cancer he didnt shy away from his duties nor his obligations he still worked to get Americans affordable health care. The man sacrificed a lot for the people i feel and he will be dearly missed. I dont think there is anyone is the senate with as much respect as Ted Kennedy had. He was a good man too bad he couldnt see his last venture realized.
Old 2009-08-27, 15:04   Link #52
mg1942

Kennedys are the most admired american political dynasty.
I wonder if same can be said with the Bushes
(I won't be surprised if Jebb Bush runs for prez)
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 16:39   Link #53
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
Kennedys are the most admired american political dynasty.
I wonder if same can be said with the Bushes
(I won't be surprised if Jebb Bush runs for prez)
I'm not fond of "political dynasties" whether I agree with their aims or not. It smacks too much of royalty. Sometimes I get the feeling too many Americans *want* a return of the aristocracy (especially the way they coo and get starry-eyed over the British crown or even idiot tabloid celebrities).

edit: I also admired Ted Kennedy for his life long work towards bettering the country and the lives of its citizens. Whatever his motivations - his intent was to improve the infrastructure so that life for the middle and working classes had a better chance to go well.

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-08-27 at 18:40.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 17:56   Link #54
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'm not fond of "political dynasties" whether I agree with their aims or not. It smacks too much of royalty. Sometimes I get the feeling too many Americans *want* a return of the aristocracy (especially the way they coo and get starry-eyed over the British crown or even idiot tabloid celebrities).

+1 I kneel to no one nor do i admire a crown that does nothing. Iv been on the ropes for a while no over this figure head business. Im not fond of political dynasties but i admired Ted Kennedy for his life long work towards bettering the country and the lives of its citizens.
Old 2009-08-27, 19:05   Link #55
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

For the Kennedys, they certainly believed in noblesse oblige.
Old 2009-08-28, 01:44   Link #56
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
+1 I kneel to no one nor do i admire a crown that does nothing. Iv been on the ropes for a while no over this figure head business. Im not fond of political dynasties but i admired Ted Kennedy for his life long work towards bettering the country and the lives of its citizens.
Political dynasty... The positives? Very efficient cooperation and thus, instantly finished projects and thus again, satisfied citizens. The negatives? a democracy in-name only, thus powers are confidently controlled thus again, highly risky and critical leaders----a sort of "inside" political war could also occur. In short, Kingdoms are only good if they're leaders are good---a very risky affair.

Last edited by Cipher; 2009-08-28 at 02:47.
Old 2009-08-28, 04:31   Link #57
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post

edit: I also admired Ted Kennedy for his life long work towards bettering the country and the lives of its citizens. Whatever his motivations - his intent was to improve the infrastructure so that life for the middle and working classes had a better chance to go well.
It's kind of funny because a strong central government like a monarchy seems like about the easiest and most possible way to get these reforms passed quickly. It could be done with almost be done with little more than a decree and an okay from a Prime Minister.

I would be for monarchy myself for it's efficiency if it weren't for that one nagging problem. That you can't put the power of government into the hands of one man and expect them not to abuse it. The idea behind the monarchy was that they were supposed to be ordained by the Pope or other equivalent religous leaders as worthy to lead in the name of god. That was supposed to mean that they were infallible, honourable and were fit to govern and bring prosperity, but of course we all now know that that's putting a lot of faith in an intangible power to guide the monarch away from personal greed and other such ugly aspects of human nature. A heck of a lot of faith.

Although there are people like the Dalai Lama who almost seem to have truly rejected all earthly temptations outright and really do just want to make things better for people, learn, and have everyone coexist in peace so I guess anything is possible.

I think there was a quote in Douglas Adams The Restaurant At The End of The Universe that perfectly sums up what I'm trying to say:

"It is a well known fact, that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it. To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-29, 01:05   Link #58
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Another side of the coin, by the way. The British don't hold Ted Kennedy in such high regard due to his outward support (in fundraising) for the Irish Republican Army, which perpetrated terrorist attacks against Britain from 1969 to the late 1990s. I'm not sure whether he knew what he was fundraising for, he may well be giving money only because they are Irish and Catholic.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/ed...nd-of-britain/

http://www.time.com/time/world/artic...883661,00.html
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-29, 09:48   Link #59
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Ah, yes. The IRA. Those used to be the guys we call "terrorists". Now, they should be called "schoolyard bullies".

After reading Time magazine's special on Edward, I realised that I agree mostly with one writer's observation: while the world talked about the might-have-beens for John and Robert, and remembered them as legends (along with disregarding their weaknesses as humans), Edward was all too human, and his achievements had a human touch to them, which is something unlikely to be associated with his brothers.
Old 2009-08-29, 13:09   Link #60
sa547
*Author

The whole funeral coverage on the networks reminded me of the Aquino funeral weeks before, except that this is more somber, almost quiet and dignified.