AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-28, 11:37   Link #1101
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

*quickly hides own dripping knife* Shouta Yuuno already comes pretty darn close though.
Old 2009-04-28, 11:37   Link #1102
Iromaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyral View Post
But back then Chrono was what, about 12 years old? Just one year older then Erio was when he joined the cast.
Wasn't he 14/15y old?

And I don't really mean the weight of this gunblade, but rather it's shape. Signum's sword is pretty much a gunblade too, but it's grip is sword shaped. This guy's weapon is a sword with revolver grip, it must be a nightmare to fight with this thing.

And Fate's scythe is a completely different matter. Scythe isn't very suitable in combat because of the blades weight and very bad aerodynamics. This problem is solved when blade is made from energy. Fate's weapon is pretty much a staff with weightless magic blade.

But yeah RL physics don't really apply in manga :P
Old 2009-04-28, 11:41   Link #1103
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
*quickly hides own dripping knife* Shouta Yuuno already comes pretty darn close though.
QFT. The ponytail in StrikerS didn't help either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iromaru View Post
Wasn't he 14/15y old?
I think you're thinking of Amy.

Quote:
And I don't really mean the weight of this gunblade, but rather it's shape. Signum's sword is pretty much a gunblade too, but it's grip is sword shaped. This guy's weapon is a sword with revolver grip, it must be a nightmare to fight with this thing.

And Fate's scythe is a completely different matter. Scythe isn't very suitable in combat because of the blades weight and very bad aerodynamics. This problem is solved when blade is made from energy. Fate's weapon is pretty much a staff with weightless magic blade.

...I was gonna argue, but your last point's my best shot... so the defense rests...?
Old 2009-04-28, 11:41   Link #1104
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Wasn't he 14/15y old?

Actually, our elders from all over the world designed unusual weapons, combining close-combat weapons with firearms, like a shortsword with a flintlock pistol, or a pistol with a fork (for eating, so don't eat dinner while that thing is loaded), or mace + rifle. So our ancestors were ahead of times in term of crack.

http://www.rolly-armes.com/pistolets-revolvers.htm

The first weapon is a sword combined with a wheel lock.
Old 2009-04-28, 11:45   Link #1105
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Wasn't he 14/15y old?
Yes he was.

Quote:
Eerh no. Laevateinn, for all intents and purposes is a pure Falchion, just with a cartridge system installed. However, it's still used and wielded as a sword, being that it's actually SHAPED like one.

And actually, the angle of a revolver grip in relation to the blade (perpendicular instead of axial) makes the Gunsword grasping angle more comfortable than a sword (given the ergonomics of the hand), and theoretically allows for better power during a swing. The closest we have to the gripping angle represented by a gunsword are katars for example. The only reason we don't make swords with such a grip angle is because of engineering limitations, and also because it's kinda hard to draw quickly due to its angle, Not to mention the reduction in flexibility and technique. Like all weapons, certain configurations have advantages and disadvantages.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2009-04-28, 11:51   Link #1106
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:

*puts on weapon-jocky glasses*

Actually, concerning a gunblade, it's doable. You'll notice existing weapons like the khukri have similar shapes, and those are wielded even today. The design of the gunblade would by no means make it easy, and I would choose a khukri over a gunblade in a heartbeat, but those limitations are more because the handgrip is a revolver style, which forces your trigger finger in a vulnerable position. Also destabilizes your grip on the whole darned thing. Place your trigger finger on a more appropriate spot, though, and it becomes a hellalot more wieldable.

Now Fate's scythe, on the other hand, is more problematic. Weight and aerodynamics are only a small part of the problem. Simply the design of the blade is already far from efficient as a melee weapon. It's easy to block it, but not easy to cut people with. A scythe is a tool for farming, not fighting, and there is a reason war scythes are shaped like glaives rather then farming scythes.

But this is manga, so we'll ignore physics and realistic viability of weaponry. Otherwise we'd be complaining about a lot of the devices we see.
Old 2009-04-28, 11:52   Link #1107
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Quote:
Wasn't he 14/15y old?
Err... I failed in math again... >>
Old 2009-04-28, 12:00   Link #1108
Iromaru

Quote:
The closest we have to the gripping angle represented by a gunsword are katars for example.
Now that you mention it... I forgot about katars. Since his weapon has a short blade it's quite plausible
Old 2009-04-28, 12:05   Link #1109
Outlaender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Actually, our elders from all over the world designed unusual weapons, combining close-combat weapons with firearms, like a shortsword with a flintlock pistol, or a pistol with a fork (for eating, so don't eat dinner while that thing is loaded), or mace + rifle. So our ancestors were ahead of times in term of crack.

http://www.rolly-armes.com/pistolets-revolvers.htm

The first weapon is a sword combined with a wheel lock.
I remember seeing a fork/knife/gun set like that in a museum. The funny thing is,
when held like a knife and fork, the barrels point at the _user_. Gotta watch those itchy trigger fingers at dinner time.
Old 2009-04-28, 12:07   Link #1110
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

I apparently went off the deep end on Chrono's age (I thought he was 12, and Amy was 14 during A's). Where did I get that idea?
Old 2009-04-28, 12:10   Link #1111
Nina.Wolken
~~N/F~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicoX View Post
Wow, one image and it's already disaster. As usual, the normal horsebeating mixed with that. Its getting boring people.
*jumps over the infinity arguments*
Excuse us for not taking part in your enthousiam and to be bold enough to state it orz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
...though I'm biased against gunblades. Dammit FF8, why did you suck?
I usually think that's a pretty cool weapon. But this one looks quite cheap. I mean... what are those bands between the blade and the top part of the weapon? Tape?
Plus it doesn't looks like a magical weapon ... but maybe it's not "activated" yet.
Old 2009-04-28, 12:11   Link #1112
Evangelion Xgouki
NERV Personnel
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Evangelion Xgouki Send a message via MSN to Evangelion Xgouki
*peers*
Well looks like the storm has passed for now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
And I wanted him to "join the battle", if you will (...whatever happened to Hayate's Lesbian Army? )
Well with an army of such nature they would need some appropriate 'maids'...

*cough*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyral View Post
Err... I failed in math again... >>
*pats*
Old 2009-04-28, 12:13   Link #1113
Nagumo
Random Translator

Clearly this is a new shiny weapon to use whenever there's a shitstorm brewing.

Mention traps and reverse-traps, SUDDENLY!!!
Fandom unites! (well except for that one guy)
Old 2009-04-28, 12:14   Link #1114
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Spoiler for Read if you have too much time to waste:

Signature by liro
Old 2009-04-28, 12:16   Link #1115
Iromaru

Quote:
*puts on weapon-jocky glasses*

Actually, concerning a gunblade, it's doable. You'll notice existing weapons like the khukri have similar shapes, and those are wielded even today. The design of the gunblade would by no means make it easy, and I would choose a khukri over a gunblade in a heartbeat, but those limitations are more because the handgrip is a revolver style, which forces your trigger finger in a vulnerable position. Also destabilizes your grip on the whole darned thing. Place your trigger finger on a more appropriate spot, though, and it becomes a hellalot more wieldable.
What I'm wondering is: why is he the only cartridge system user that needs a trigger... Maybe he's just a random cosplayer they meet while on leave :P

Quote:
Now Fate's scythe, on the other hand, is more problematic. Weight and aerodynamics are only a small part of the problem. Simply the design of the blade is already far from efficient as a melee weapon. It's easy to block it, but not easy to cut people with. A scythe is a tool for farming, not fighting, and there is a reason war scythes are shaped like glaives rather then farming scythes.
Well imagine Fate's weapon as a battle staff or... well bardiche (:P) that just happens to be able to produce bonus energy blades. It's blade works more like a double sided axe with slimmer blade, and can be launched too. It has a very long reach and work as well as staff in defence. It's not a bad design at all
Old 2009-04-28, 12:20   Link #1116
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estavali View Post

Anyway, I'm not really impressed with the gunblade. Not for the fact that it IS a gunblade, but more for the impression that it looks like some lazy bugger stapled the blade onto the gun (those.... black lines connecting the barrel and blade, what are they?) and then proceed to call the stapled product a gunblade. Can't Tsuzuki come up with something more.... grand? Ah, but I'm jumping to conclusions here again.
Something like Sol Badguy's zipposword or Gilgamesh's pillardrill sword?
Old 2009-04-28, 12:25   Link #1117
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
What I'm wondering is: why is he the only cartridge system user that needs a trigger... Maybe he's just a random cosplayer they meet while on leave :P
Teana and Vice forgotten so soon?

The trigger is mostly for the looks. I mean, can you imagine a gun without a trigger? That just loses some of its cool.

Quote:
Well imagine Fate's weapon as a battle staff or... well bardiche (:P) that just happens to be able to produce bonus energy blades. It's blade works more like a double sided axe with slimmer blade, and can be launched too. It has a very long reach and work as well as staff in defence. It's not a bad design at all
*shakes head* No, tacking on an energy doesn't really work. I'm not arguing the added bonus of being able to shoot, but to say the blade works like a double-bladed axe... no, that doesn't really fly. An axe is a power dependant weapon, made for bashing. A weightless scythe blade fulfills neither of these.

Anyway, realistically speaking it's not a viable weapon, but this isn't realism. Whatever she uses, Fate makes a scythe work. I may not like the girl all that much, but she sure looks awesome making a scythe work. Go Fate, go!
Old 2009-04-28, 12:34   Link #1118
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Something like Sol Badguy's zipposword or Gilgamesh's pillardrill sword?
Hmmm, those look good =3. Or Cloud's First Ken/Tsurugi. Now, THAT is a sword I like very much.

But alas I'm not Tsuzuki nor Higa, and thus my hopes are doomed to die .

Signature by liro
Old 2009-04-28, 12:38   Link #1119
Iromaru

Quote:
Teana and Vice forgotten so soon?

The trigger is mostly for the looks. I mean, can you imagine a gun without a trigger? That just loses some of its cool.
I didn't mention them since their devices have barrels so trigger is plausible. But yeah I forgot about the existence of Vice :P Thx for reminding me of him And true gun without a trigger don't look so good.

Quote:
*shakes head* No, tacking on an energy doesn't really work. I'm not arguing the added bonus of being able to shoot, but to say the blade works like a double-bladed axe... no, that doesn't really fly. An axe is a power dependant weapon, made for bashing. A weightless scythe blade fulfills neither of these.
Well I just have different opinion, but it's not like mine have to be right I think this design is very good.
Old 2009-04-28, 12:44   Link #1120
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Trap/reverse trap is about the only trope Nanoha has not done.

Or is it even a trope?

Tags
adventure, manga, nanoha, seinen