AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-02-10, 11:17   Link #61
marvelB

^Well, to be fair, the usual depiction of dragons (both eastern and western kinds) have pretty distinctive differences from dinosaurs. Like how dragons tend to be shown with long horns when carnivorous dinosaurs had rather short ones (if they had any at all). And not to mention that they tend to have batlike wings (when in reality avian reptiles had more birdlike wings, seeing as they're even distantly related). So yeah, I see no reason why Luffy and co. wouldn't automatically assume that they encountered a dragon......
Old 2012-02-10, 11:34   Link #62
james0246

^But, if you actually encountered a large lizard like creature, I seriously doubt your immediate description would be dragon, it would be of a creature you already know exists (and if you have the required experience, something you've already encountered). Or at least that is my thought process.

To put it in to (my) perspective, when the Strawhats encountered the talking legs (or talking penis with legs?), they immediately assumed the legs were a zombie of some sort, because they had the required experience to recognize that what they were seeing was similar to a zombie. Their immediate reaction wasn't "Is that a Blemmye/Acephali?" (Obviously Oda wouldn't be using African mythology, but I am not well versed in Japanese/Chinese mythology to create an adequate comparison.)

Last edited by james0246; 2012-02-10 at 11:57.
Old 2012-02-10, 11:48   Link #63
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^But, if you actually encountered a large lizard like creature, I seriously doubt your immediate description would be dragon, it would be of a creature you already know exists (and if you have the required experience, something you've already encountered). Or at least that is my thought process.

To put it in to (my) perspective, when the Strawhats encountered the talking legs (or talking penis with legs?), they immediately assumed the legs were a zombie of some sort, because they had the required experience to recognize that what they were seeing was similar to a zombie. Their immediate reaction wasn't "Is that a Blemmye/Acephali?" (Obviously Oda wouldn't be using African mythology, but I am not well versed in Japanese/Chinese mythology to create an adequate comparison.)

Ah, but there's a difference in that dragons have been universally-known mythical creatures since ancient times. I mean, even in real life people have known about dragons since childhood through storybooks or cartoons/movies/etc. It's nothing like the examples you used with the talking legs, since those are much more specific/obscure mythical creatures than dragons, which EVERYONE would know about. So again, I see no reason why Luffy and co. wouldn't see a giant winged lizard and immediately come to the conclusion that it was a dragon.
Old 2012-02-10, 11:56   Link #64
james0246

^While I definitely agree that Dragons are more universally known, that wasn't quite my point. I was more alluding to the idea that their initial description should be based on experiences they've already had or evidence they already poses. So, upon seeing a giant lizard approach them, their first thought (imo) should have been dinosaur. Then, once it breathed fire, they could switch their stance to the mythological.

(btw, I'm fully aware of just how silly this discussion is .)

---

As an afterhtought, I've decided that due to the size of Big Mom (and to a lesser extent, Whitebeard), I seriously hope Kaidou is a dwarf. Something about one of the Yonkou being less than a meter tall just seems indescribably cool to me...
Old 2012-02-10, 12:04   Link #65
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic

I hope this arc doesn't just waste time...

Re: James0246: Shanks is of unremarkable stature, wish granted.

First they went for communists: and I didn't speak out, not being a communist;
Then they came for trade unionists, and I said naught because I wasn't a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews: and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew;

Then they came for me!
...and there was no one left to speak out for me.
Old 2012-02-10, 12:10   Link #66
kakakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^While I definitely agree that Dragons are more universally known, that wasn't quite my point. I was more alluding to the idea that their initial description should be based on experiences they've already had or evidence they already poses. So, upon seeing a giant lizard approach them, their first thought (imo) should have been dinosaur. Then, once it breathed fire, they could switch their stance to the mythological.
I think with fire around the place and a scary giant lizard (add in their mood(?) for adventure at the time), I think it's okay if they think it's a dragon.

Hmm.... Checking the last page of the 655, it was already breathing fire it approached (when it was first shown).
Old 2012-02-10, 12:12   Link #67
marvelB

Personally, I think it would be cooler if there were an emperor who were an actual giant, mainly because most of the giants we've seen in the series so far in the series ended up being glorified fodder. For once, we could use a giant who's actually the monster he was meant to be, instead of mostly dealing with the typical human monsters all the time. So yeah, here's to hoping that Kaidou is a titan from Elbaf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holypanl View Post
I hope this arc doesn't just waste time...

We've got Smoker and Shichibukai involvement and you're seriously still saying that!? Geez, some people are hard to please....
Old 2012-02-10, 12:13   Link #68
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by holypanl View Post
Re: James0246: Shanks is of unremarkable stature, wish granted.
Shanks is regular size. So, while cool, it is not indescribably cool .

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
So yeah, here's to hoping that Kaidou is a titan from Elbaf.
Considering we are unsure of just what Big Mom is, she could very well be your Elbaf giant.
Old 2012-02-10, 22:10   Link #69
Mateus

When those masked guys said "M" maybe they were referring to "Big Mam/Mom", of course it's probably still too early for her. Still I wonder what the legman's deal is, it looked like Robin was saying he was actually quite tall and invisible? Still I hope they recruit someone else for the final crew member if only to balance out the sexes.
Old 2012-02-11, 01:25   Link #70
Hisoka??
Ultra noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
he probably slash the dragon with other sword (and with his hand)

while sword in his mouth didn't do anything and stay there since he don't have time to shete it
I'm not so sure. If that was the reason, this is the first time that he has performed a one sword style while using 2 swords. + based on what we saw he really had a lot of time to sheath the sword, while running, jumping, etc.

btw I really like how ODa made the contrast in reactions. esp the last 2 panels at the bottom of page 17 where luffy/Ussop had thier mouth open while Zoro and Robin in the background were just calmly frowning.
Old 2012-02-11, 11:17   Link #71
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateus View Post
When those masked guys said "M" maybe they were referring to "Big Mam/Mom", of course it's probably still too early for her.

The "M" stood for "Master". Pretty sure that if they were referring to Charlotte they'd refer to her as "mama" instead (y'know, like we saw some of her own crew did a few chapters back).

BTW, I missed this earlier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by animeffs13240 View Post
btw that picture looks an awful lot like vivi even though i know its not her
You can check out the SBS thread for more info, but the person from that picture was basically a prototype of Catarina Devon.
Old 2012-02-15, 02:18   Link #72
LeoThugs
Ero Sennin the Second

Send a message via Yahoo to LeoThugs
I see some people getting noticing that Zoro had oe sword in his mouth while he used the the Iai technique. tsk tsk tsk, your lack of faith in our swordsman hurts me. You failure to WOW in amazement at his EPICNESS astounds me. It is so OBVIOUS he used his hand for the single sword Iai technique to behead the dragon while he flipped and twirled the katana in his mouth to pick his teeth. You know, to clean those hard to reach places between the gums .. Le Duh.

Old 2012-02-15, 05:05   Link #73
marvelB

So yeah, new thread.
Closed Thread