AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-12-29, 18:00   Link #2341
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Silly question time.

Did you ever get your arm numb while sleeping by involuntarily obstructing the blood flow? Well, I was wondering, since the other day I had some very traumatic 30 seconds or so when I realized I couldn't even feel my arm (it had "died" completely, it wouldn't even feel numb or anything. Didn't even feel like my own arm--of course, a couple of seconds later and the thing revived quite happily), how exactly does blood relate to "feeling" the arm? Aren't the nerves merely an extension of neuronal axons, whose originating cells are located in the spine?

I understand how not getting any blood into my muscles would prevent them from moving, since that's where they get the oxygen they need in order to produce energy, but I don't understand how I can't even feel the arm.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-29, 18:17   Link #2342
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Yes. It's happened to me.

For a explanation of why your arm goes numb when you cut off blood, check here.
SeedFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-29, 18:37   Link #2343
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
The blood supply to a nerve probably got cut off. The blood vessels which supply the nerve run in the connective tissue that surround the axons. So, the blood vessels are actually in the nerve. When you compressed the nerve, the blood vessels are also compressed, and blood supply to the axons gets cut off.

Cutting off the blood supply to an area of the body is called ischemia. Ischemia is about the worst thing that can happen to a body part. Since that part recieves no new blood, it doesn't get oxygen, it doesn't get food (glucose) and it doesn't get its wastes (carbon dioxide, lactic acid, whatever) carried away. Nerves are particularly succeptible to ischemia because it takes a lot of metabolic energy to transmit nerve impulses.

The reason that ischemia causes paraesthesia (what SF linked to) is that cutting off a nerve's blood supply changes the excitability of the nerve. First the nerve become superexcitable. But as the ischemia contines, the nerve becomes steadily less excitable, and after several minutes conduction of nerve impulses stops completely. Chances are if you wake up with an "dead" arm, that means the circulation has been cut off for at least 30 minutes.
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-30, 04:02   Link #2344
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I'm never sleeping on my arm again.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-30, 18:43   Link #2345
aahhsin

Why do people eat boogers? I can understand people picking boogers, because sneezing them out just doesn't work work sometimes.

But eating them? Are we still predisposed to bacterial instincts where we find eating other bacteria and dirty things still good for us?
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-30, 18:54   Link #2346
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by aahhsin View Post
Why do people eat boogers? I can understand people picking boogers, because sneezing them out just doesn't work work sometimes.

But eating them? Are we still predisposed to bacterial instincts where we find eating other bacteria and dirty things still good for us?
actually it isn't bad, it helps strengthen your immune system by allowing the body to absorb and destroy already dead bacteria that is trapped in the mucus of your boogers and find better ways to fight against it in the future.

and another thing, what is inside our nose already drains to our throat

edit:

here is something weird yet funny

Quote:
Of the 1000 surveys mailed out, only 254 were completed and returned to the researchers.

* 8.7% claim that they have never picked their nose. (In other words, they are liars or they can't remember doing it as a kid.)

* 91% stated that they had picked their nose in the past and were still actively practicing this habit. Yet, only 49.2% of the respondents actually thought that nose-picking was common in adults.

* 9.2% rate their pickin' as "more than average."

* 25.6% actually pick their noses daily, 22.3% do it 2 to 5 times each day, and three people admitted to doing it at least hourly.

* 55.5% spent 1-5 minutes, 23.5% spent 5-15 minutes, and 0.8% (2 people) spent 15-30 minutes each day cleaning their nostrils. One lone soul claims to devote over 2 hours each day to this ritual (I'm not a doctor and I can tell you that this guy definitely has rhinotillexomania).

* 18% reported nosebleeds, while 0.8% claimed perforation of the nasal septum from their nose-picking.

* 82.8% had picked their noses to "unclog the nasal passages", 66.4% had done it to relieve discomfort or itchiness, 35.7% to avoid the unsightly appearance of a booger hanging from their nose, 34.0% for personal hygiene, and 17.2% picked out of habit. 2.1% (five people) claimed to pick solely for enjoyment. To no one's surprise, one perverted person picked his/her nose for "sexual stimulation."

* 65.1% use their index finger, 20.2% use their pinky, and 16.4% use their thumb (must have BIG nostrils to fit a thumb in) as their instrument of choice.

* Most people (90.3%) disposed of the goop in a tissue or a handkerchief, while 28.6% used the floor, and 7.6% stuck it to the furniture.

* 8% of the respondents actually ate the end product. In case you are thinking of trying this delicacy, the study claims that the pickings are quite tasty (salty).
source: http://home.nycap.rr.com/useless/nose/index.html
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-02, 08:27   Link #2347
Aza-oniichan
~Blazing Red Eye~
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aza-oniichan
while i was watching movie, i feel something "bumpy" in my finger. The i look the bottom side of the chair and i saw many booger "dangling" here and there. When people finds no place to dispose their booger, they usually "put" them on nearby reachable places like the bottom side of a chair or table. Is it true that it tasty? i'll try it right away
Aza-oniichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-02, 10:05   Link #2348
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aza-oniichan View Post
while i was watching movie, i feel something "bumpy" in my finger. The i look the bottom side of the chair and i saw many booger "dangling" here and there. When people finds no place to dispose their booger, they usually "put" them on nearby reachable places like the bottom side of a chair or table. Is it true that it tasty? i'll try it right away
they say its salty, I agree I did poke my nose as a kid but never left them at places that I find disgusting also I hate it when people do it in public, which I never did either
Old 2009-01-02, 21:47   Link #2349
FateAnomaly

Why would it be salty or anything? Isn't it just dirt?
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-02, 22:15   Link #2350
aahhsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aza-oniichan View Post
if you ever had mucus in your throat after a bad cold, that's how boogers taste. why i have no idea why it tastes that way.

someone should make a booger recipe for booger eating enthusiasts.
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 16:38   Link #2351
Solafighter
Hige

Does someone perhaps know, where i could get a Vista style for Windows XP 64 bit? I found a good one but that doesnt work with 64 bit..

Thanks a lot.

PS: I already googeled. Thats why im asking here.
Old 2009-01-04, 07:50   Link #2352
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
http://kayeirene.deviantart.com/

Try one of her themes, they oughta work. I have one of them, but I don't remember which >.<. Use StyleXP to apply. ( The program does not need to be ran on the backround for theme to work )
Old 2009-01-04, 18:26   Link #2353
Solafighter
Hige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lualdi View Post
http://kayeirene.deviantart.com/

Try one of her themes, they oughta work. I have one of them, but I don't remember which >.<. Use StyleXP to apply. ( The program does not need to be ran on the backround for theme to work )
Thank you. I will try it out in a few minutes. I will report back about the results.

-----

EDIT: mmmh, the vista theme cant be applied.

When i add the theme with XP Syler, i even cant see it in the small box, where you can see the selected themes.

What windows do you have? If you have the same as me, then i will recheck about the error.

Cause for some reason, not every program is for XP 64 bit. >_<

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by Solafighter; 2009-01-04 at 18:51.
Solafighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 02:54   Link #2354
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Well... this more of a health concern issue than a silly but i didn't want to create a whole thread to this question.

Our microwave is sorta old and it's flaking okay? So daddy decided to take it outside and clean it and "spray painted" the microwave. So the question came to me, how safe is it to microwave my oscar mayer weiners in there now? Okay... the hotdogs were just a funny example but really, how safe is it? It still has that spray paint smell which is horrendous, and it amplify when it's i microwave stuff in it, like hotdogs. First of all I have no idea what kind of spray paint he used, so I don't even know if it's safe. Currently it's been 3 or 4 days since then and i've been reluctant to use it but I have used it a few times.

But how safe is it? without and kind of knowledge on what spray paint he used?

ps: Oh shuddup, can't afford a new microwave atm >.<

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 03:00   Link #2355
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
Well... this more of a health concern issue than a silly but i didn't want to create a whole thread to this question.

Our microwave is sorta old and it's flaking okay? So daddy decided to take it outside and clean it and "spray painted" the microwave. So the question came to me, how safe is it to microwave my oscar mayer weiners in there now? Okay... the hotdogs were just a funny example but really, how safe is it? It still has that spray paint smell which is horrendous, and it amplify when it's i microwave stuff in it, like hotdogs. First of all I have no idea what kind of spray paint he used, so I don't even know if it's safe. Currently it's been 3 or 4 days since then and i've been reluctant to use it but I have used it a few times.

New ones range from 30-60$ they are not that bad much anymore...but I took one a older cousin replaced painted it up its runnign good as new.

Paint wise you want a enamel type something thats able to withstand the heat and moister of the microwave, I used rustoleum on mine.
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 03:03   Link #2356
mangalowres
AS Mods Sandbag

Quote:

Hmm safe, let me say it in this way:
You won't die fast or maybe when it goes KABOOOOOM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyDSM View Post
New ones range from 30-60$ they are not that bad much anymore...but I took one a older cousin replaced painted it up its runnign good as new.

Paint wise you want a enamel type something thats able to withstand the heat and moister of the microwave, I used rustoleum on mine.
You should not repaint a MW at all
Really, it can be dangerous if you are not 100% sure what you are doing.

The worst case scenario = explosion.
mangalowres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 03:10   Link #2357
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangalowres View Post
Hmm safe, let me say it in this way:
You won't die fast.
As long as you don't use latex/oil based paints it wont come off so easily, as for fumes and stuff....once its dry it should be realtivly safe...at last as safe letting microwaves dry..er...heat food...

If I can not brown it or lightly saute it I don't cook with it >>

So the Mwave for me is used for reheating soem food and drinks....cook with it? what am I a barbarian?!?!?
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 03:52   Link #2358
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:

Are you saying that he sprayed the inside of the microwave oven (inside, as in the cooking compartment) or did he just spray the outside cover?

I find it hard to believe he sprayed the inside so I would assume it was the outside. If so then there is no real issue health wise. Yes, there will be a paint smell for a while but as long as it wasn't some sort of lead based paint (which I suspect has been banned for a long time) then there shouldn't be a problem with the food if it's been 3 or 4 days since it was painted.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 06:34   Link #2359
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Think of it as this, cause I've never heard of anyone spray painting the inside of a microwave (if that si what you mean)
Microwaves are never normally spray painted to begin with, there is a protection layer that goes over the paint (if it is even painted tbw)
I wouldn't say that is is save to use it with paint inside because the radiation and heat can cause chemicals from the paint to evaporate and then affect your food
Old 2009-01-05, 07:01   Link #2360
othera

Dono if this is the right place, and its most likely been asked(But im not the type of person to go over 120 pages...)

How much of my bandwidth does youtube steal per min/hour? I googled it but ended up with many diffrent answers >.<

@ the microwave question, wat?-__-
If spraypainted inside:
Your dads an idiot, i wouldnt use it...
If spraypainted outside:
I would use it, but why would you spraypaint the microwave...
othera is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, q&a, serious