AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Potential Pairing - Multiple Choice Option
Alto x VF 171 32 12.31%
Ozma x Bobby 13 5.00%
Ranka x Sheryl 42 16.15%
Sheryl x Alto 199 76.54%
Yasaburo x Alto 5 1.92%
Ranka x Ai-kun 38 14.62%
Alto x Klan 14 5.38%
Ranka x Alto 54 20.77%
Ranka x Brera 37 14.23%
Klan x Michael 101 38.85%
Ozma x Cathy 111 42.69%
Luca x Nanase 41 15.77%
Wilder x Monica 41 15.77%
Alto x VF25 37 14.23%
Yasaburo x Alto's father 10 3.85%
Alto x Brera 18 6.92%
Grace x Ranka 12 4.62%
Nanase x Ranka 21 8.08%
Sheryl x Klan 24 9.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-08-03, 09:42   Link #1281
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

... So, any possibility of a Sheryl x Alto's dad pairing?
Old 2008-08-03, 09:49   Link #1282
Westlo
Lets be reality

I guess Alto's father coming across a fainting Sheryl would make sense, too coincidental but after everything in this series what's one more anyway? I'm not exactly getting my hopes up because it's just a rumor but I would really like this to happen since it can help progress a lot of things that need to be progressed in a small time frame. With Ranka's utter lack of interest in Alto's past I guess if any of the two girls get involved in that it would be Sheryl, would be nice to see how Alto's love for flying is connected to his paper planes and mother which we saw in the flashback before he choose to go with Sheryl to Gallia IV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Yeah, indeed. Didn´t you want to make a long post in the speculation thread? Still waiting to see what you think over there.
Lack of motivation and wanting to watch the the first two episodes of Xamdou before going to bed will prevent me from doing that Also Newtype spoilers should be out in a few days time, which should give me something more to work with the a few one liners and a hunch. Btw that irc chat is #macrosssuki on the rizon network, drop by some time and see if anyone is online.
Old 2008-08-03, 10:10   Link #1283
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Lack of motivation and wanting to watch the the first two episodes of Xamdou before going to bed will prevent me from doing that Also Newtype spoilers should be out in a few days time, which should give me something more to work with the a few one liners and a hunch. Btw that irc chat is #macrosssuki on the rizon network, drop by some time and see if anyone is online.
Will do, although not today.... I got to prepare for my D&D group.

Will the Newtype spoilers be anything bigger than one or two liners?
Old 2008-08-03, 16:02   Link #1284
dahak
Utu Class Planetoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
If Sheryl comes to him, I think he'll do what he can for her, but since it's not something he can shoot at, he'll have to resort to being just moral support. And his repertoire there is pretty much limited to "You can do it" and "Don't give up on your dream". I don't think he'll go out of his way to be a jerk about it, but, well, that's all he's got.
He's got being a punch bag and just listening as well in his repertoire. Plus he is the only character in the show who can say " I don't care about that, I care about you." in perfect sincerity in that situation.

I'm now of the opinion we've just had Ozma's supermove in Frontiers actual romantic triangle.

Though being Ozma he had to go right over the top.
Old 2008-08-03, 16:07   Link #1285
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahak View Post
He's got being a punch bag and just listening as well in his repertoire. Plus he is the only character in the show who can say " I don't care about that, I care about you." in perfect sincerity in that situation.
Sheryl: "Alto, my career, which I value so much, and which serves to define me, is coming apart at the seams. It was all a lie."
Alto: "I don't care about that, I care about you."

Yeah, that's going to go over very well. I think I preferred "You can do it" and "Don't give up on your dream". They may not be that helpful, but they're at least supportive.
Old 2008-08-03, 16:50   Link #1286
Teletha

Why wouldn't that go over well ? Alto never gave a crap she was Sheryl Nome and just because she's not the Sheryl Nome she was before, doesn't change his feelings for her at all. She's still just Sheryl to him and that Sheryl sung and liked to write songs. He likes her for her, not for who she was. Her fame is fleeting, but friends are what really matter. I think it's sweet. It depends on how it's said, but the thought is genuine.

You can do it! Do what? Not be a clone/whatever? Don't give up on your dream? What's her dream? Her dream was a lie. I don't see either thing working. This wouldn't be some silly thing she needs encouragement for.

I guess we'll see after we find out what the whole thing is. Still hard to judge reaction when we don't know what will happen.
Old 2008-08-03, 22:34   Link #1287
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Sheryl: "Alto, my career, which I value so much, and which serves to define me, is coming apart at the seams. It was all a lie."
Alto: "I don't care about that, I care about you."

Yeah, that's going to go over very well. I think I preferred "You can do it" and "Don't give up on your dream". They may not be that helpful, but they're at least supportive.
I'm pretty much in agreement... unless we get some serious intense character development/introspection like... Sheryl breakdown followed by profession of love to Alto > Alto goes soul searching, visits Ranka, vists his dad's house, takes 7 Vajra on with no backup... whatever > Alto comes back and says sappy line. I dunno... I'm not in a particularly shipping mood today, so I'll leave it at that.
Old 2008-08-03, 23:07   Link #1288
cerrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
I'm pretty much in agreement... unless we get some serious intense character development/introspection like... Sheryl breakdown followed by profession of love to Alto > Alto goes soul searching, visits Ranka, vists his dad's house, takes 7 Vajra on with no backup... whatever > Alto comes back and says sappy line. I dunno... I'm not in a particularly shipping mood today, so I'll leave it at that.

Yeah, their relationship needs some serious work (Alto's character development more so) before the audience will buy into that sappy line.
Old 2008-08-03, 23:28   Link #1289
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
Yeah, their relationship needs some serious work (Alto's character development more so) before the audience will buy into that sappy line.
Bah, Hikaru never bothered with sappy lines! He just grabbed Misa and commenced their first kiss!

Yeah, Alto boy should learn from the senpai!

- Tak (Action, is more important than words)

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-08-03, 23:40   Link #1290
Traece
:cool:

I'm sort of dropping in here...

But actually, Alto would be great comfort for Sheryl, who is being faced with the death of all the effort she has put forth for the last [insert years as an idol] years. Alto isn't the kind of guy to go into 'giddy schoolgirl' mode at the sight of an idol. He's no Nobunaga (from Hazuka ) and that's what makes him special. I'd imagine one of the things that will hit Sheryl most is that her fanbase will shift away from her. Though she may always be an idol, the most likely thing that will go through her mind is, "Who will I be after I'm just Sheryl? What is there for me when I'm no longer a singer and an idol?" That's where Alto plays a good part. Even though she'll be losing her career, she still has Alto, someone who will still love (Er... Be with her) even though she's not an idol.

Have to look at things from the point of view of a person who is and has been the biggest thing for a long time. When you've lost it all, what then? What would you do? No more career, nothing to occupy you for years and years.

Edit: As far as all the soul-searching and visiting and lamenting goes... I've got nothing there. xD All I know is that Alto is being set up to be a great match for poor Alto. Plus she's a much better singer, she deserves the guy she wants.
Old 2008-08-03, 23:44   Link #1291
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
Though she may always be an idol, the most likely thing that will go through her mind is, "Who will I be after I'm just Sheryl? What is there for me when I'm no longer a singer and an idol?" That's where Alto plays a good part. Even though she'll be losing her career, she still has Alto, someone who will still love (Er... Be with her) even though she's not an idol.
*Clap clap clap*

That was good man, good job for pointing that out. Still, down with sappy lines. Alto boy, you have to take a good look at her, grab her with both arms and press your lips against hers! Hold your breath for at least 180 seconds, or the magic won't be as convincing! Do it boy, DOOOO EEEETTT!!

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-08-04, 00:36   Link #1292
magnuskn

Can´t go wrong with that.

Now, although I really, really want Sheryl to be a pilot ( Which is the thing she did on her own, no involvement by Grace ), I don´t think she´ll give up singing completely.

After all, May'n and Kawamori still want to sell those records.
Old 2008-08-04, 00:38   Link #1293
Traece

Quote:

Now, although I really, really want Sheryl to be a pilot ( Which is the thing she did on her own, no involvement by Grace ), I don´t think she´ll give up singing completely.

I could see Sheryl and Alto teaming up to fly against the Vajra together... That's not the most likely scenario considering Alto barely seemed to get into the SMS as it was... But it would be nice.

She could sing songs at the start of missions for good luck.
Old 2008-08-04, 00:41   Link #1294
.Mero

Quote:

No piloting Sheryl please... As much as i like her as a character, she's not the piloting character, she'd just end up like random VF19S pilot 38 or something

Either continue singing, or be a good housewife and mother for Alto's offspring
Old 2008-08-04, 00:46   Link #1295
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Bah, Hikaru never bothered with sappy lines! He just grabbed Misa and commenced their first kiss!

Yeah, Alto boy should learn from the senpai!

- Tak (Action, is more important than words)
Not that I don't agree, to a point with as far as action is concerned... I think that was the Roy influence, though... but with regard to Hikaru, and DYRL comparisons in general... I think people are missing the bigger DYRL picture, no offense. When Hikaru and Misa got back aboard the Macross, he saw Minmay on the big screens, and knew he was happy with Misa; and when Minmay came back, and Misa was ready to basically bow out, her told her in no uncertain terms that she was who he wanted to be with. It's one thing to think you love someone when you're at you're weakest, completely another to know you love someone standing strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
I'm sort of dropping in here...

But actually, Alto would be great comfort for Sheryl, who is being faced with the death of all the effort she has put forth for the last [insert years as an idol] years. Alto isn't the kind of guy to go into 'giddy schoolgirl' mode at the sight of an idol. He's no Nobunaga (from Hazuka ) and that's what makes him special. I'd imagine one of the things that will hit Sheryl most is that her fanbase will shift away from her. Though she may always be an idol, the most likely thing that will go through her mind is, "Who will I be after I'm just Sheryl? What is there for me when I'm no longer a singer and an idol?" That's where Alto plays a good part. Even though she'll be losing her career, she still has Alto, someone who will still love (Er... Be with her) even though she's not an idol.

Have to look at things from the point of view of a person who is and has been the biggest thing for a long time. When you've lost it all, what then? What would you do? No more career, nothing to occupy you for years and years.
...so, in simplest terms, you're in the 'Sheryl as a housewife' camp? Just so long as we know where everyone stands.

That was crude, so I'll elaborate. This attitude just pisses me off about Sheryl navy, and supposed "Sheryl fans." She's all washed up, so she should be with Alto!!! It's like... her romance with Alto is more important than her identity? Take off the shipping goggles, people, plskthx. The girl is one phone call to Elmo and a double billed Ranka concert away from being back in the swing of things, provided she's not about to die. But all everyone seems to be thinking about is all the romantic developments that can come of it. Fuck that. I'd rather a strong, standing tall Sheryl wins in plot than a beaten Sheryl wins in romance.
Old 2008-08-04, 00:57   Link #1296
Traece

Quote:
...so, in simplest terms, you're in the 'Sheryl as a housewife' camp? Just so long as we know where everyone stands.

That was crude, so I'll elaborate. This attitude just pisses me off about Sheryl navy, and supposed "Sheryl fans." She's all washed up, so she should be with Alto!!! It's like... her romance with Alto is more important than her identity? Take off the shipping goggles, people, plskthx. The girl is one phone call to Elmo and a double billed Ranka concert away from being back in the swing of things, provided she's not about to die. But all everyone seems to be thinking about is all the romantic developments that can come of it. Fuck that. I'd rather a strong, standing tall Sheryl wins in plot than a beaten Sheryl wins in romance.
It's hard to muster up the strength to try and say how that's wrong. Mostly because I'm not sure I want to waste my time with it.

I'd ask you to understand the world of musicianship before you tell us that Sheryl is capable of getting back, "in the swing of things," along side Ranka. For lack of a better way to put it, "There can be ONLY ONE!!!" All things considered, even in real life it's rare to see two superstar ANYTHINGS going at it in an epic battle for fan supremacy. Sheryl can sing if she wants to, she could continue doing it at her own will, and nobody is saying otherwise. But the point is, she can't be the Queen in this universe anymore. Ranka stole that from her, just like she's stealing Grace from her now. She's been abandoned and left all to her own by Grace (who tried to kill her) and her fans have chosen to chase after Ranka. Plus, her sickness has put her far behind Ranka and until she recovers, any attempt at a concert would just be a huge mistake. The issue for her, is that she's losing her crown. This is just like any band's singer, who tried to go out on their own and launch a solo career. Would you like Sheryl to be the Justin Timberlake of Macross? Could you handle that kind of immense stupidity? Yeah... Suddenly her bunking up with Alto is welcome isn't it?

The point is, Sheryl entered the life of a musician, and now she's facing the death of a musician. She's been beaten at her own game. Thinking that Sheryl has to sing professionally to be strong, is the sort of attitude that I think is despicable. She's faced her dreams, and loved her life. She's been happy. Sure, that's been cut short... But she can move on and face another happy aspect of life, Alto. Nobody says she can't sing to him.

Edit: Besides, it's insulting to say I'm in the 'Sheryl the Housewife Camp' when I'm clearly not. Sheryl enjoys flying as well. There are other things in life she can enjoy. It's not MUSIC OR BUST. One-sided thinking is never appreciated.

Double-Edit: Although I do agree with Justinstrife. However, the physics involved in such a thing are debatable. Since she no longer has an agent that cares about her existence, she's sort of screwed. Random nobody agent wouldn't be of much help. Grace knew what Sheryl needed and everything about her. Especially considering it's feasible that Grace was entirely responsible for her career.
Old 2008-08-04, 00:59   Link #1297
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
I agree with you completely Stray. I'm hoping for a STRONG comeback by Sheryl soon, where she shows us why we fell in love with her in the first place. -nods-

Though I'd prefer to see her as the Basara Pilot/singer type, rather than what she was career wise at the start of this series.
Old 2008-08-04, 01:03   Link #1298
mike_s_6

Quote:
But all everyone seems to be thinking about is all the romantic developments that can come of it. Fuck that. I'd rather a strong, standing tall Sheryl wins in plot than a beaten Sheryl wins in romance.

Don't ask me, I still can't see why the lead female characters are in love with Alto. I'd be happy to see Sheryl fly and shoot Grace like "F(*$$% YOU B!!TC#!!!". Perfect ending.

(But I'm still wondering if Grace is really on the bad side, she's too... evil. I expect a plot twist.)
Old 2008-08-04, 01:03   Link #1299
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Mero View Post
No piloting Sheryl please... As much as i like her as a character, she's not the piloting character, she'd just end up like random VF19S pilot 38 or something

Either continue singing, or be a good housewife and mother for Alto's offspring
I ( and a bunch of other Sheryl fans ) obviously disagree, as I´ve seen many of them swooning with the thought that Sheryl might be a pilot. As for her piloting skills... she has just begun to train, so with the same good anime magic which Alto uses to level up so fast, she´d be an ace by episode 25.

And, really, good housewife? Bleeech, where did *that* come from? Terrible idea, terrible.

Quote:

While I think that for character development reasons ( on which I´ve elaborated further in the episode 17 thread, page 12, post #229 ) that Sheryl is ungently pushed off her throne is a good thing for her further development , I do want her to get strong on her own again.

But I also think that support from the one person who still has her trust would help her much to get back up... be that support from Alto romantically or as a good friend ( which would, IMO, set up further romantic development. ^^ )

Also, I´m a Sheryl X Alto fan, so I'd think that hoping for some positive developments on that front is not something you should find unnatural for me .

Last edited by magnuskn; 2008-08-04 at 01:12. Reason: Elaboration on some things
Old 2008-08-04, 01:06   Link #1300
Traece

Quote:
While I think that for character development reasons it is good that Sheryl is pushed ungently off her throne, I do want her to get strong on her own again. But I also think that support from the one person who still has her trust would help her much to get back up.

Also, I´m a Sheryl X Alto fan, so I think hoping for some positive developments on that front is not something you find unnatural for me.
To be honest I agree with that as well.

Like I said, Alto can provide a lot of strength to Sheryl, as a guy who treats her just like any other person (Which is why she's in love with him. That's generally how idols fall in love with random guys. Just because they don't get that treatment. At least in animes and the like). Plus, when I'm talking about Sheryl, Sheryl's career, and her love life... I'm talking about 'at the time'.

There's still plenty of episodes left for Sheryl to live whatever life she wants to live. But for the time being with her breakdown and all, blah blah blah what I said before.

Tags
romance