AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2013-11-30, 01:55   Link #32161
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Yes, that's good enough. Except for the wash, I'm still not sure...

Also, depends on what plastic. But lacquer primer is not recommended for Gunpla, IIRC.

If you want to be sure, just test them on the runners/sprues.

---

Anyway, do anyone here have an idea how Sei scratchbuilt 2 extra head vulcan into his Gunpla? Seems to be a tough job.
Old 2013-11-30, 04:47   Link #32162
StratoSpear
Titans Test Team Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroXSEED View Post

Anyway, do anyone here have an idea how Sei scratchbuilt 2 extra head vulcan into his Gunpla? Seems to be a tough job.
He actually scratchbuilt all four head vulcans... Hell, the even cheek vents are completely different from the Strike and Strike E's. It's like he remade the entire head part.
Old 2013-11-30, 06:22   Link #32163
suiton629
Master Grade Master

Just get Tamiya acrylics. Stick with 1 brand and 1 type of paint.
Old 2013-11-30, 07:26   Link #32164
Shinobi2013

Panel line wash shouldn't be the same type of paint you used on the kit, for example painted the kit with acrylic then enamel on the panel line wash. If you used one and the same type of paint both in painting and panel line wash, both of them will stick together or worse mixed up so if you tried to remove the excess panel lines then so does the paint. It's a simple logic like the oil and water won't be mixed together.
Shinobi2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-30, 07:58   Link #32165
suiton629
Master Grade Master

Paint with Tamiya acrylics.

Or what you can do is 'milk' Gundam Markers onto a paint tray, and then use it to hand brush gate marks. Then panel line with the panel lining Gundam Marker, and then spray a flat top coat over it. It'll give it the painted look with the details you want.
Old 2013-11-30, 08:03   Link #32166
duotiga
Zander Yuusha Kyorugold

Send a message via ICQ to duotiga Send a message via MSN to duotiga
finally is here!!!

now i shall wait for the RG Destiny Heine ver....
duotiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-30, 08:29   Link #32167
suiton629
Master Grade Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by duotiga View Post
finally is here!!!

now i shall wait for the RG Destiny Heine ver....
Lucky.
I was considering the RG Destiny Heine but I declined. =D

I'm waiting for these right now:

SD God
SD Devil
SD Shining
MG Exia Repair 2
MG X
RG Strike Freedom + Wings
RG Destiny + Wings
...and some Action Base 1s and LED sets

=D Lots of GunPla paid for. Now just a matter of time.
Old 2013-11-30, 08:39   Link #32168
Shinobi2013

Problem with the Gundam markers for panel lining is still a bit thick, more especially if you want to apply it on a very thin or very deep details which even the Gundam Markers can't even reach. So instead I use Copic Marker 0.03 on very thin panel lines which is even more thinner than Gundam Markers and on very deep details which is even the copic markers can even reach, I'll just use enamel wash instead.
Old 2013-11-30, 08:40   Link #32169
suiton629
Master Grade Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinobi2013 View Post
Problem with the Gundam markers for panel lining is still a bit thick, more especially if you want to apply it on a very thin or very deep details which even the Gundam Markers can't even reach. So instead I use Copic Marker 0.03 on very thin panel lines which is even more thinner than Gundam Markers and on very deep details which is even the copic markers can even reach, I'll just use enamel wash instead.
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

It's still pretty thin and you can do what I and others do. Use it, and then wipe off excess with a q-tip/cotton swab.
Old 2013-11-30, 08:46   Link #32170
Shinobi2013

I already used Gundam marker before and it's still a bit thick compare to copic marker 0.03 as seen on the picture you've posted, never ever used Gundam markers since ages.
Old 2013-11-30, 09:08   Link #32171
Appel

Quote:
Originally Posted by suiton629 View Post
Just get Tamiya acrylics. Stick with 1 brand and 1 type of paint.
That would only work well if you just want to paint each piece in one color. If you want to do a panel line wash or a reverse wash you absolutely have to use different kinds of paint.
Appel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-30, 12:15   Link #32172
suiton629
Master Grade Master

Call me lazy, but that's all I do.
Old 2013-11-30, 12:59   Link #32173
Providenceangle

Don't panel wash with enamel over acrylic. The lighter fluid will eat the paint! You can do panel washes with water and acrylic. It works the same as the enamel washes, just wait 3-5 days for the base paint to dry. You know already about clear coating before doing the wash, this step is the same, but when using acrylic it's critical that you leave the base coats dry, so they don't lift with the watered down acrylic wash. Use the same cotton swab/qtip method. You can get the same results.

Enamel panel washing is used for people who use lacquer paints as a base. Lacquer paints are the best but, they can eat plastics(best to use airbrush in thin coats, until you have a thin dry base you can paint over, so they don't eat the plastic). They are very toxic as well. A respirator is a must.(should use a mask for any painting)
Providenceangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-30, 13:28   Link #32174
suiton629
Master Grade Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Providenceangle View Post
Don't panel wash with enamel over acrylic. The lighter fluid will eat the paint! You can do panel washes with water and acrylic. It works the same as the enamel washes, just wait 3-5 days for the base paint to dry. You know already about clear coating before doing the wash, this step is the same, but when using acrylic it's critical that you leave the base coats dry, so they don't lift with the watered down acrylic wash. Use the same cotton swab/qtip method. You can get the same results.

Enamel panel washing is used for people who use lacquer paints as a base. Lacquer paints are the best but, they can eat plastics(best to use airbrush in thin coats, until you have a thin dry base you can paint over, so they don't eat the plastic). They are very toxic as well. A respirator is a must.(should use a mask for any painting)
I think acrylics or just Gundam Markers (real touch, regular, metallics, panel lining) is a the safest route. =) That's why I go with them and always have a stockpile of them as well as the Mr. Hobby flat top coat.. few cans each time.
Old 2013-11-30, 13:56   Link #32175
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

BOOM headshot....my wallet took a hit....

Ordered a HG Age-1 with razor parts and pre-ordered the MG X.....

I can honestly say I actually hate deals, they always make me part with my hard earned cash when I'm not supposed too!!!
Old 2013-11-30, 14:01   Link #32176
suiton629
Master Grade Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
BOOM headshot....my wallet took a hit....

Ordered a HG Age-1 with razor parts and pre-ordered the MG X.....

I can honestly say I actually hate deals, they always make me part with my hard earned cash when I'm not supposed too!!!
How is that boom head shot?

Here's what I have on queue and recently received..

Recent received...
SD Exia
SD 00 Raiser (x2) --> to make one condenser type
SD 00 Qan[t]
SD 00 7 Sword G
Action Base 2 Sparkling Green (x7)

Waiting for...
SD God
SD Shining
SD Devil
SD Wing Zero Custom
SD Wing EW
RG Strike Freedom + Wings
RG Destiny + Wings
MG Exia R2
MG X
MG Wing Gundam EW
MG Wing Zero Custom
green LED set
Action Base 1 Celestial Being version (white)

If your think that's a "BOOM headshot", then mine must be a BOOM NUCLEAR GIGATON EXPOSSIONNNZZ TIMEZZZZZZZZ right?

EDIT

Can you take the SD Wing EW and SD Wing Zero Custom and kit bash easily to give it a SD Wing Zero Custom with more modern, proportioned SD scale?

Last edited by suiton629; 2013-11-30 at 16:14.
suiton629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-30, 16:39   Link #32177
Skye629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Regarding old exclusives/limited items, don't worry. They sound like endangered species but Bandai actually still reprint them. For example, recently my local seller got a restock of the old MG GP01, GP02, & GP03 metallic coating ver. coz Bandai just reprinted & re-released them. So, don't worry, MG Destiny Heine will get made again. You just have to wait, and don't bite the bait of those who offer it with unreasonable price. "Twice the price of the normal ones (exclude shipping & delivery fee)" is the highest you can charge for exclusive/limited items which aren't metallic coating, titanium finish, clear/sparkly parts or those with additional content (like Linkin Park's HG GP01 or TM Revolutions' HG Destiny Heine complete with CDs and whatnot).

Now, if you can properly communicate with Gentei (as in by phones, emails, etc), you can tell them that you really want MG Destiny Heine thus asking them to put your name (and contact numbers) on their list of customers who will receive the kit once it got restocked. A good hobby store usually willing to accept that kind of request as it will only bring them more profit & loyal buyers.

Btw, since you live in the US, are stores like GG Infinite and the likes never had any restock of old Limited kit (for example, MG Zeta Karaba)?
Hmmm good advice, I'll just wait and hope for a lucky break or rerelease then

Even though Im in the US I have not checked GGInfinite much, so Im not too sure whether or not they periodically restock the exclusive kits when Bandai rereleases them or when they reprint/do another run of them

Quote:
How is that boom head shot?

If your think that's a "BOOM headshot", then mine must be a BOOM NUCLEAR GIGATON EXPOSSIONNNZZ TIMEZZZZZZZZ right?
You do realize that these comments are made in regards to the user's funds/what they consider alot right? Even $20 is a BOOM HEADSHOT for me as thats a good fraction of my monthly allowance
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-30, 16:42   Link #32178
Providenceangle

Quote:
I think acrylics or just Gundam Markers (real touch, regular, metallics, panel lining) is a the safest route. =) That's why I go with them and always have a stockpile of them as well as the Mr. Hobby flat top coat.. few cans each time.
The comment was aimed at Double_Edge. As he's asking advice on it. You can do whatever you wanna do all day long.
Providenceangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-30, 16:49   Link #32179
Shinobi2013

My "BOOM headshot" for me so far is the whole set of Gundam Wing G-Unit series:
Gundam Geminass 2x(display both as normal and space type Unit), Gundam Hydra, Gundam L.O. Booster, Gundam Aesculapius and Gundam Griepe.
Old 2013-11-30, 16:53   Link #32180
suiton629
Master Grade Master

Can you take the SD Wing EW and SD Wing Zero Custom and kit bash easily to give it a SD Wing Zero Custom with more modern, proportioned SD scale?

Tags
gundam, gunpla, model kit, toy