AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-03-16, 19:16   Link #1
DynamicPerformance
Skilled Web Ninja

Send a message via AIM to DynamicPerformance
Question Why does Ed want his arm and leg back?

I am a avid FMA fan, from the first episode i saw. It is well made, and i enjoy the story.

Recently i had an argument
with my friend, and it revolved around this question:

Why does Ed want his arm and leg back?

My friend claims that he is much cooler with his artificial body parts,
but i maintain that Edward is not longing for his arm and leg, but more for a return to the way life was before his mother dies.

Any comments?
Old 2004-03-16, 19:19   Link #2
BigFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicPerformance
I am a avid FMA fan, from the first episode i saw. It is well made, and i enjoy the story.

Recently i had an argument
with my friend, and it revolved around this question:

My friend claims that he is much cooler with his artificial body parts,
but i maintain that Edward is not longing for his arm and leg, but more for a return to the way life was before his mother dies.

Any comments?

Why? Automail is not maintence free accessory. It's actually quite maintence intensive compare to your flesh & blood. Sure he has the added benifit of having a more durable limb, but the trade off can be argue that his growth stunce is caused by having to wear the automail.
Old 2004-03-16, 19:25   Link #3
DynamicPerformance
Skilled Web Ninja

Send a message via AIM to DynamicPerformance
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFire
It's actually quite maintence intensive compare to your flesh & blood.
Yeah, but in numerous episodes, his automail arm and leg have saved him from death, it is a good trade off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFire
growth stunce is caused by having to wear the automail.
i think you mean his stunted growth, i think that that is more a price that goes along with the rest of his punishment, like having the arm and leg.

Anyways, the question is: still why? ...
Old 2004-03-16, 19:33   Link #4
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
To some extent it's the McGuffin, without it there wouldn't be much of a story would there
Old 2004-03-16, 19:34   Link #5
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Yeah, but in numerous episodes, his automail arm and leg have saved him from death, it is a good trade off.

i think you mean his stunted growth, i think that that is more a price that goes along with the rest of his punishment, like having the arm and leg.

Anyways, the question is: still why? ...
Would you rather have your own arm and leg or artifical limbs in place of them? Even though automail is more functional than real artifical limbs, it's still better to have one's real limbs. Plus every time Ed has his auto mail adjusted, he is forced to suffer through extreme pain. It doesn't seem like a difficult choice to me...
Old 2004-03-16, 20:07   Link #6
dom02

woudl you rather have a metal arm and leg for the rest of your life? Yea thats a great way to attract the ladies. Also can he actually feel anything through them??
Old 2004-03-16, 20:15   Link #7
Go-lytely

I suppose it would be cool but then again you would be looked upon as a freak. Of course you could easily kick their asses.
Old 2004-03-16, 20:32   Link #8
ziphra
Seed Whore Galore!?!

Send a message via AIM to ziphra
I always figured Ed actually AIMED for getting his brother's orginal human form back as top priority and maybe the "must have arm and leg back deal" was like a side-quest, or ermm...whats the word?, [thinks really hard, loses it] eh...sorta deal.

Anyways, like everyone else said, having the auto-mail puts Ed in so much stress. Having to worry if its going to malfunction, the consequences of mistreatment, not feeling all too "human," etc. But to me, I figure he wants to get those limbs back just because he feels "unnatural" with them on, as much positives as they come with. But like I said up there, maybe its just a "hey when we do this, we can do this too!" sorta deal, so I figure Ed is caring more about his brother right now than his own body.
Old 2004-03-16, 20:42   Link #9
nak
Squishy

Send a message via AIM to nak
If we all recall in episode 16, having Auto-mail isnt everything most would think.
Old 2004-03-16, 23:21   Link #10
BrodoFaggins

Ed had trouble writing a letter to winry in the nina+alexander chimera episode...reformatted hd and forgot to back up on cd's, so i no longer have eps, anyway...and yeah, automail would be too high-maintenance, and faulty, according to the more recent episodes where it fails to work.
Old 2004-03-16, 23:53   Link #11
NocturnalFerri

I dont think its so much because it's painful to get connected or cuz it's not hot with the ladies or anything. (though i think hes pretty cool either way) I think its more of a wish to go back to the way things were, like someone else said. A reminder of what they had to sacrafice and of days gone by that were much simpler. Play with alchemy, make okaasan happy, hate tousan, hang out with winly... When/if he gets his real arm and leg back, he wouldn't *have* to be a dog of the military anymore. So, maybe also an additional reminder of their goal, besides the pocketwatch.

and what's it matter if it helps him out once in a while. It's like being thankful that he's short in ep22(?). Or Ed gettin' hit with something. *shrug*. It's lucky it happens to be that way, but you dun really want it like that, but hey, it helped in the situation and its necessary, so "when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade". But it doesnt hurt to wish.
Old 2004-03-16, 23:54   Link #12
diabolistic
pythagorean≠python gorax

i think the ending explains why he wants his arm and leg back..
to have no feeling in your arm and leg would be horrible, which may explain why he feels so obliged to return Al's body back too.

the shot with the snowflakes melting on one hand and not the other is beautiful ;_;

<Pabs> kcl, you sure do put out a lot of Naruto eps
Old 2004-03-17, 00:20   Link #13
A Lamer
あほぉ&

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziphra
I always figured Ed actually AIMED for getting his brother's orginal human form back as top priority and maybe the "must have arm and leg back deal" was like a side-quest, or ermm...whats the word?, [thinks really hard, loses it] eh...sorta deal.
the word(s) would be quite simply, equivilent trade. Ed has only one interest, to get his brother back into his original body. The same goal is held by Al, so in order for Ed to get Al to help, Ed promises he'll let Al return his arm and leg when they've gotten Al's body back.
Old 2004-03-17, 05:00   Link #14
Anthias

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Lamer
the word(s) would be quite simply, equivilent trade. Ed has only one interest, to get his brother back into his original body. The same goal is held by Al, so in order for Ed to get Al to help, Ed promises he'll let Al return his arm and leg when they've gotten Al's body back.
Good point. And of course, Automail HURTS!...
Old 2004-03-17, 05:28   Link #15
FlyByNite

I think if I was Ed I'd want my real leg back, but the metal arm is kinda handy. Especially when I can trasmutate it into a sword and stuff.

Then again we've all grown up with seeing Luke get his artificial arm in ESB and it was hella cool. So I'm biased with that
Old 2004-03-17, 06:41   Link #16
ziphra
Seed Whore Galore!?!

Send a message via AIM to ziphra
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Lamer
ah quite so, quite so. but equivalent trade is kind of working out to be one of those moral things they are trying to sort out in the series. thats only in the context of doing bad as a trade off for good results or what not, blah blah. i wont go into morals, it's just a show anyways ^_^.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyByNite
I think if I was Ed I'd want my real leg back, but the metal arm is kinda handy. Especially when I can trasmutate it into a sword and stuff.

Then again we've all grown up with seeing Luke get his artificial arm in ESB and it was hella cool. So I'm biased with that
rawr! but how cool would it be to see Ed transmute different types of swords using whatever materials he has available to him in the series? mmm...what if EVERYONE used alchemy to create a different type of sword in the series?!? [ponders some more] mmm...super duper fire sword of death...mmm colonel mustang wielding that super duper fire sword of death...haha. i dunno, just thought about the necessity of the auto-mail as a sword. ^_^
Old 2004-03-17, 12:16   Link #17
skillosopher
Dr. J

Send a message via AIM to skillosopher
Quote:
Originally Posted by xris
To some extent it's the McGuffin, without it there wouldn't be much of a story would there
yeah but, even if there werent much of a story, or driving ambition to get his arm and leg back to normal. at the very least, it should all make sense. keeping the story alive in disregarde for anything else isnt the coolest thing. i tend to agree with the origional post'er.

other than pure sentimentality (equivalent trade sob-story), i dont see a good reason for ed to want to get his arm and leg back to normal!

al, is a different story. the poor guy cant even eat, or have sex! if i were al, i would do anything in my power to get that facet of life back!

however, if i were ed, would amputate my other arm and leg to complete the automail goodness!!!
Old 2004-03-17, 15:03   Link #18
Akichan
Ichi wa zen, zen wa ichi

Send a message via AIM to Akichan
To be honest, I don't think that this is high on Edward's goal priority. That's AL's goal, in exchange for Ed returning him back to his body. Al continually has to remind Ed of that part of the goal.

The reason being, is that I think Edward feels responsible for what happened to Al, and somewhat feels like he should suffer his punishment in exchange for what he did.

Unfortunately, I get the feeling that Edward won't be restoring his body. But that's just a personal feeling I've had since episode 10 or so.
Old 2004-03-17, 18:45   Link #19
LinChoiSin

am i the only one who thinks that losing an arm and a leg is something horrible ? of course Al is great and can transform his automail but for me it goes without saying that he must do all he can to recover his arm and leg and if it's not his top priority i guess it's because Al 's case is even worse and that it's more urgent to get back Al's body.
Old 2004-03-17, 19:04   Link #20
skillosopher
Dr. J

Send a message via AIM to skillosopher
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinChoiSin
am i the only one who thinks that losing an arm and a leg is something horrible ? of course Al is great and can transform his automail but for me it goes without saying that he must do all he can to recover his arm and leg and if it's not his top priority i guess it's because Al 's case is even worse and that it's more urgent to get back Al's body.
losing an arm and leg isnt so bad if it gets replaced with something that feels no pain (as ed constantly uses it as a sheild), and seemingly more durable, and powerful than his other limbs.

my question is...why not?!
Closed Thread