AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-03-27, 13:34   Link #1041
ookamigirl

Running, running, running away...
It was very romantic watching those two run away together ^^
The others were sure engaged in a full blown private war!
So Ichika finally found that special place she was looking for all along.
The price to pay for that was pretty sad..
At least they have that summer movie they made together as a nice memory of their time together.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 13:38   Link #1042
Xaturas

Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
What things? And there is nothing in front of the womb other than the cervix

EDIT: why am I responding to this? *Shakes her head*, I must be bored, hahaha
And thats how it looks like.
That she's crawling out from a big womb into a cervix o_O.
Old 2012-03-27, 13:50   Link #1043
warita
Dai-Youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaturas View Post
And thats how it looks like.
That she's crawling out from a big womb into a cervix o_O.
Hihihihihi, dont watch the last episode and keep that idea :P
warita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 14:35   Link #1044
Xaturas

Quote:
Hihihihihi, dont watch the last episode and keep that idea :P
Naaah I already spoiled myself today, and know the ending. Just don't find the resolve to sit trough last 2 eps, same goes for ZNT anime but that was left like 6 eps ago.

Ichika coming back and making another movie was kinda meh, but still at least it got a happy end.
Old 2012-03-27, 16:03   Link #1045
Spat

Remon is on an entirely different level when it comes to kicking ass!
Spat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 16:28   Link #1046
Solafighter
Hige

If you put this MIB stuff away, its a real good ending. Remon.. well ok, didn't expect less from her. Like the title of this anime, I kinda had this feeling, it would turn out this way. When they reached kizakiko, found the evidence and on top of it, MIZUHO's voice recording, that certainly was a breathtaking moment.

Thinking of the story of Onegai Teacher, its actually sad. That means, that Mizuho and Kei experienced a similar scene.

So animewise, if you forget about this MIB stuff, its realy well made. The feeling, images and music were well selected and it was very enjoyable to watch. Soon, I will certainly do a marathon with onegai teacher, onegai twins and ano natsu de matteru.
Old 2012-03-27, 16:51   Link #1047
warita
Dai-Youkai

Comparing the two series Onegai sensei and sempai.... I cant help but observe a certain shift in the japanese culture in what is considered sexualy attractive.

In older series it was often stressed how sexy adult women look and not teenage girls. When thinking of this, I have to always think about a scene from great teacher Onizuka, where he and some of his male students entered the house of a female teacher and snoop in her drawers and the boys are a bit taken aback by Onizukas antics and he says with a knowing tone in his voice: "Arent you guys interested what the apartment of a mature woman looks like?", of course implying with it that its adult women who are really sexy.

There are a few similar examples in different anime oldies..... but that has disappeared completely now. And sensei was replaced by sempai.... she is still older, hence sempai, but not an adult woman anymore.

Now, dont get me wrong, of course young girls are sexy.... but I still cant help but feel sligthly upset by this change. Its like once you are past your teen years, you are just second best.
warita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 17:11   Link #1048
Xaturas

Quote:
Comparing the two series Onegai sensei and sempai.... I cant help but observe a certain shift in the japanese culture in what is considered sexualy attractive.

In older series it was often stressed how sexy adult women look and not teenage girls. When thinking of this, I have to always think about a scene from great teacher Onizuka, where he and some of his male students entered the house of a female teacher and snoop in her drawers and the boys are a bit taken aback by Onizukas antics and he says with a knowing tone in his voice: "Arent you guys interested what the apartment of a mature woman looks like?", of course implying with it that its adult women who are really sexy.

There are a few similar examples in different anime oldies..... but that has disappeared completely now. And sensei was replaced by sempai.... she is still older, hence sempai, but not an adult woman anymore.

Now, dont get me wrong, of course young girls are sexy.... but I still cant help but feel sligthly upset by this change. Its like once you are past your teen years, you are just second best.
Sad but true. All mature women gets push back by lolified characters in almost every new production, if not in every that is released now.
Milfs and mature women still do exists but now they are mostly a support characters who are just there for the sake of being there.
Few years back there really it was different. Now its loli/moe/teenager stuff everywhere.
Old 2012-03-27, 17:28   Link #1049
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Well ... I thought that was satisfying as a whole.

Imo this was one of the better series of the season - it really was consistently good in so many different ways - although for me while it was consistently good and engaging it was not really a "mind-blowing" series. But then no series in this season's winter lineup were "mind blowing". Ah well.

And while I have sorta warmed up to the male lead a little more than mid season he still doesn't really stick out in my mind for some reason. Hmm. Maybe he will impress himself in my mind after a steamroll re-watch or something.

Anyway, 7.5/10 for ep 12 and a 8/10 for the series overall.
Old 2012-03-27, 18:52   Link #1050
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
About shifting trends, maybe you should read/watch more hentai, where experienced women are presented differently than broadcasted anime. There is no shift there, there is always a balance between deflowering pure teenagers (which was and is very popular overseas) and having the time of your life with a cheating housewife or a desperate OL. But they also have totally different audiences.

But concerning TV broadcasted anime, I agree, that the focus shifts to what is perceived as marriage material, i.e. inexperienced, somewhat stupid, teenage girls

Quote:
I noticed that animes are exceptionally good at building up suspence but usually fail at providing a good ending. Why that is so, I cant say. But maybe different people understand something else under a good ending, so it may just well be the simple: cant please everybody.
Because they always try to have an original plot at the very end

Quote:
PS: Am I supposed to understand the strange shot of Ichika dressed in the souvenir jacket the way that she returned to earth after all? I didnt quite get that.
You know a lot of viewers do not have the stomach for a BAD END
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 20:23   Link #1051
Dr. Casey

Quote:

Yeah, as someone that hates youth-obsessed culture I definitely agree with this. The attitude shown in so many RPGs and anime series where you're washed up by the time you reach your 30s (Or even younger, as evidenced by the 'Christmas Cake' crap) gets on my nerves to no end. I remember the episode of Dragon Ball Z towards the very end where Chi-chi dances for a few moments before hurting her hip or something, at which point everyone laughs and calls her old... yeah, because an extremely fit 34 year old martial artist clearly can't dance for ten seconds without breaking something. Or all the sigh-worthy series where the resident 'old man' of the group is someone in his 30s or later 20s. I have pretty generous views on aging (I think of the 20s, 30s, and 40s as the youthful decades, and think of everything under the 80s in mostly positive terms), so it does annoy me how many people seem to think you're bad off unless you're 20 years old.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 20:43   Link #1052
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
As much as some try to see the message/memory as a connection between Onegai Sensei and Senpai, it makes no sense! Mizuho ended up staying, had both her sisters visiting, and her federation was well aware where she was and what she was doing.
After reading various comments around the blogosphere, it seems views on this part of the story is split into two camps: one that views that the recording is a hint of a connection to Onegai Teacher/Twins, while the other viewing this relation as merely an indirect one.

One reason for AnoNatsu only being a spiritual successor and an indirect sequel is due to the the technological natures of the timelines not making sense if indeed Onegai Teacher happened all those many, many years ago. The facts the recording also claims are also different from Onegai Teacher—simple differences not matching up such as Mizuho being allowed to go to Earth as part of her original job in the first place and so on. In this case, 'Mizuho's voice' does seem more as an easter egg, or a fan tease if you'd like, to long time fans of the previous two shows. Remon (surprisingly) not being Ichigo goes along with this view even more.

On the other hand, the other argument is that the recording refers to the time when Mizuho had left Earth and was away for around a year, when the memories of everyone had been wiped clean. Mizuho's year long absence from Earth is probably the closest event you can link the recording with—unless of course, if you think Mizuho did leave Earth after the events of Onegai Twins, which would open another round of speculating. Even with a supposed relation to the events of Onegai Teacher ep11, I'm beginning to think that this connection is lacking or kind of weak unless some OVA can clear this up sometime in the future.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 22:02   Link #1053
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

The whole alien love story was just to much that just seem just way to much going on and just lost me in the whole story but the whole romantic rivals was the best part

7/10
Old 2012-03-27, 22:28   Link #1054
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
After reading various comments around the blogosphere, it seems views on this part of the story is split into two camps: one that views that the recording is a hint of a connection to Onegai Teacher/Twins, while the other viewing this relation as merely an indirect one.

One reason for AnoNatsu only being a spiritual successor and an indirect sequel is due to the the technological natures of the timelines not making sense if indeed Onegai Teacher happened all those many, many years ago. The facts the recording also claims are also different from Onegai Teacher—simple differences not matching up such as Mizuho being allowed to go to Earth as part of her original job in the first place and so on. In this case, 'Mizuho's voice' does seem more as an easter egg, or a fan tease if you'd like, to long time fans of the previous two shows. Remon (surprisingly) not being Ichigo goes along with this view even more.

On the other hand, the other argument is that the recording refers to the time when Mizuho had left Earth and was away for around a year, when the memories of everyone had been wiped clean. Mizuho's year long absence from Earth is probably the closest event you can link the recording with—unless of course, if you think Mizuho did leave Earth after the events of Onegai Twins, which would open another round of speculating. Even with a supposed relation to the events of Onegai Teacher ep11, I'm beginning to think that this connection is lacking or kind of weak unless some OVA can clear this up sometime in the future.
Actually, she was back in episode 12, and continued living happily with Kai, for 12 more episodes of Twins and 2 OVAs

The only connection is indecisive staff that messed up big time with the script
Old 2012-03-27, 22:37   Link #1055
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Actually, she was back in episode 12, and continued living happily with Kai, for 12 more episodes of Twins and 2 OVAs
Yeah, we already know that. I simply meant that there's a view that the recording might possibly be referring to the time when Mizuho was gone from Earth, prior her return in the final episode.

Though I was a bit confused when you mentioned Kai instead of Kei. I thought you were referring to Kaito there for a while.
Old 2012-03-28, 00:22   Link #1056
Flame-X
Anti-fan

I'm just gonna copy and paste someone's comment from RandomC's blog to clear up that Onegai connection.

Quote:
I’ve watched both Onegai series, and the only similarity between this series and the other two is that the lead girl with glasses is an alien and Lemon was similar to Ichigo. That’s where the similarities end.

Regarding the crystal at the lake, while it is voiced by the same person who voiced Mizuho, I don’t think it is meant to represent Mizuho but rather a cameo. The proof is in the following spoiler for Onegai Teacher and Twins.
The biggest difference is that Mizuho did not crash land on earth – she came to earth to inspect it. Also in the onegai timeline, contact with natives was allowed – heck she posed as a school teacher as part of her investigation which required a lot of contact (though she was not allowed to let anyone know of the existence of aliens). And while Mizuho was taken away at one point, her sister helped her return to earth where she lived happily with her husband. In Onegai Twins, set after Onegai Teacher, Mizuho is still a teacher at the school.

-taiakun
Old 2012-03-28, 00:33   Link #1057
kujoe
from head to heel

Yeah, I came across that comment too. Quite informative and it makes sense.
Old 2012-03-28, 00:54   Link #1058
teja208
Critical fanboy

I wonder whether those who have no knowledge of Onegai Teacher would be able to better appreciate this series better than those who did. I watched Onegai Teacher long time ago so I don’t remember much detail btw so I apologize in case if I made some mistake recalling what happened in that series.

I think one of the mistakes Kuroda and his fellow production team made is trying too hard to connect this series with Onegai Teacher. Small dose is fine for nostalgia feelings among his long time fans, but he gone overboard during what supposed to be the story climax. Because of this, OT fans tried to make connections with the flashback at the pond with event at the end of OT resulting in people complaining about the inconsistency and implied bad end for OT. Ending could’ve turn out better if he hadn’t tried connecting both series during climax in which he’s, I admit, very bad at it.

MIB plot twist should’ve been a shock factor for viewers since MIB references in the first few episodes are supposed to be a series joke so that it would turn into a big surprised when they found out that MIB really does exist. By associating Remon with Ichigo too much and the obvious hint in episode 9 I think that had reviled more than necessary. OT fans already had the impression that she might have known about aliens and could’ve joined MIB so it wasn’t much of a surprise anymore. Had Remon resembles Ichigo a little less in both her appearance and mannerism and is actually a new character who is secretly part of MIB, things could turn out more surprising to the audience.

Anyway, I believe I can come up with an explanation for previous two paragraphs above. What you need to understand first is:

Remon = Ichigo
Ichika’s ancestors =/= Mizuho

Technically speaking, explanation about earth having no contact with alien is an assumption made by people on Ichika’s home planet. This may not be true on the earth side of things as they might have already made many contacts with other alien species from the opposite side of the universe including Mizuho’s planet. MIB is earth’s secret organization established to contact new species of aliens. Remon’s superior probably assigned Remon to observe Ichika, an unidentified alien species, as they never made contact with her people before, therefore, had no idea of what her intention is for coming to earth even by accident. After collecting enough data, Remon report back to her chief claiming that Ichika alienforks aren’t hostile and is actually nice to her so we should send people there to make contact with them. When Remon said that Ichika is the first alien she met, she meant it in a sense that she never made contact with her people not the first alien she had ever seen. Can you honestly believe that she is part of MIB and never met an alien before? Besides, I don’t remember Ichigo being that close to Mizuho either.

One thing I can’t deny is the issue of leaving Tetsurou relationship in the opened end. Just like at the end with Ichika wearing poncho, episode 11 should’ve given enough clue about who Tetsurou picked. He even invited her on a date at the movie theater, but they had to ruin it at the end with the small conversation at last moment.

Looking on the bright side, Ano Natsu is fundamentally a series about bonding between true friends which can be a beautiful thing if done properly and I felt that this series manages this aspect quite splendidly. This series outlines the concept that bond between friends can overcome various obstacles and is at times can be more powerful than bond between lovers. Overall, this series has been an enjoyable ride for me than I originally anticipated when I first start watching this series. In the end I gave this series an 8 out of 10.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 01:36   Link #1059
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, we already know that. I simply meant that there's a view that the recording might possibly be referring to the time when Mizuho was gone from Earth, prior her return in the final episode.
That still doesn't make sense, because Mizuho returned to the knowledge of her federation, and also there was no reason to leave a subliminal message message embedded in her descendants DNA... It's just sloppy and indecisive writing.

Quote:
Though I was a bit confused when you mentioned Kai instead of Kei. I thought you were referring to Kaito there for a while.
My bad, Kai(to), Kei(to), are easy to mix, plus occasionally Kaito was called Kai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame-X View Post
I'm just gonna copy and paste someone's comment from RandomC's blog to clear up that Onegai connection.
There were way more parallels
  • character designs we mentioned thoroughly before the show even started airing
  • plot structure and subplots paralleled many in Sensei
  • the main plot was exactly the same
  • they even went as far as to copy dialogues
Old 2012-03-28, 01:46   Link #1060
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
That still doesn't make sense, because Mizuho returned to the knowledge of her federation, and also there was no reason to leave a subliminal message message embedded in her descendants DNA... It's just sloppy and indecisive writing.
Well yeah, there's that too. I guess after thinking about it some more, thinking of both series as directly related really doesn't hold up after all. As an OT fan, this certainly makes a whole lot more sense to me—but if you ask me, this has been quite the big missed opportunity to make a nice, seamless continuity for all three titles.

Tags
romantic comedy, shounen