AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-08-22, 18:10   Link #561
sikvod00

So is France really a more patriarchal society than Japan during this time period, as was implied by this episode? Or is Alice's fangirling of Japan merely a "grass is greener" mentality?
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-22, 18:15   Link #562
Zakoo

Hmm, well yeah, it was only with the World Wars that women began their "emancipation" since men were sent on the front.

I must have said it before, but they were considered as commodities, only useful for marriage and money trade, rich familiy breeding with others rich families to not lose any money.

Bird cage heh ... Paris was indeed a city for women, but it was exactly like Versailles: a golden prison ... without the golden.
Zakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-22, 18:30   Link #563
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Hmm the atmosphere in the anime is alot less tense than it was when I read the chapter... Amazingly they could drag this one chapter out to two episodes I would imagine they flesh out more of Camille and Claude background next episode... Don't know how it feel about that- it's depressing enough as it is...

That said, it looks like everyone and their grandpa knows about Claude's childhood exploits with Camille

Hmm... At the rate this is going... Yeah, I can pretty much guess what the last story would be for this season... That big thing that happen at that big place....
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-22, 18:32   Link #564
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
....Hmm... At the rate this is going... Yeah, I can pretty much guess what the last story would be for this season... That big thing that happen at that big place....
Shhhh!
Old 2011-08-22, 18:42   Link #565
sikvod00

Hmm. I get the feeling that Camile is not only jealous of Yune--for how close she is to Claude--but also of Alice. This episode made quite clear that Alice has a free spirit and is not willing to let French society dictate her entire life; at least not without a fight and some rope to climb out of buildings. Her love of everything Japanese apparently represents part of this freedom. Camile on the other hand has apparently given up such aspirations (Claude?).
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-22, 20:00   Link #566
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Shhhh!
BUT BUT! THAT THING! THAT THING IS- !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikvod00 View Post
Hmm. I get the feeling that Camile is not only jealous of Yune--for how close she is to Claude--but also of Alice. This episode made quite clear that Alice has a free spirit and is not willing to let French society dictate her entire life; at least not without a fight and some rope to climb out of buildings. Her love of everything Japanese apparently represents part of this freedom. Camile on the other hand has apparently given up such aspirations (Claude?).
I get the feeling Alice is only able to enjoy such freedom with relatively little resistance because Camile had taken it upon herself to bear all the responsibilities of a noblewoman.

That said, I don't think that she's particular jealous of Alice, but rather she's doing all this so that her sister doesn't have to.
Old 2011-08-22, 20:55   Link #567
RegalStar
Mishaguji-sama

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikvod00 View Post
So is France really a more patriarchal society than Japan during this time period, as was implied by this episode? Or is Alice's fangirling of Japan merely a "grass is greener" mentality?
I'm pretty sure that Kaguya-hime is the exception, not the norm.
RegalStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-22, 21:09   Link #568
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

We got the sick Yune, can we get a tsundere Yune next?
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-22, 21:57   Link #569
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
We got the sick Yune, can we get a tsundere Yune next?
I don't think they exist yet in the 19th century...
Old 2011-08-22, 21:59   Link #570
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Great episode but I wounder what happened between Camile and Claude

Yune look so cute in that dress
Old 2011-08-23, 00:26   Link #571
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

I loved the ending song for this episode. I'm guessing that's Camille's character song?

Also, when Camille was being so stern towards Claude and scolded Yune for her ways, I found myself slightly pissed at her for that. I wonder what made her that way? I need to know what happened between her and Claude NOW! @_@
Kismet-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-23, 01:59   Link #572
calorie

Hmm, a good episode, but nothing special.

At this point the whole Claude - Camille angst is getting a tad annoying, in the way that it detracts the spotlight from Yune. I'm just hoping that all this 'building up' will be worth it and that this story will somehow contribute to this slice-of-life anime.

Oh and I liked Yune better in that big dress, thought she looked cuter that way.
calorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-23, 02:42   Link #573
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Definitely a good episode with Camille here. Really got to see her perspective a bit more and how complicated things are for her. There just isn't any warmth that you could see in the flashbacks when those two were in the same room. Shots being taken at each other a bit there though maybe more from Camille.

Seems we'll get some definite answers though can get a fairly good idea about what happened already. Camille gave into her position and took on the role that she was expected to. Maybe in part to protect Alice from having to do all that. Either way the basic class difference between them had to be the major point.

A really good episode for Alice I thought. Showing off even more of her good points here. Exchanging the stories was a fun thing too. Alice definitely is at odds with the beliefs of her society and really dislikes the roles of women in the western fairy tales.

Some nice moments from Yune too. Able to turn things after Camille was really letting her darker side out. Funny how both thought the same about Claude there, but Yune could laugh about it . Can understand Camille feeling some jealousy.
Old 2011-08-23, 02:52   Link #574
scr
my sides are in orbit

Claude-Camille seems forced. They seems to be constantly irritating each others, what's there to like? Also, damn, Claude is the most principally stuck-up fictional guy I've ever seen in my life. Swallow some pride and think of Yune, he will not.

On the other hand, I'm kind of surprised about this sudden emancipation thing. The part where Camille tells Yune how it's pointless to base her life based on Claude's opinion. I feel something DEEP about that.
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-23, 02:57   Link #575
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by calorie View Post

At this point the whole Claude - Camille angst is getting a tad annoying, in the way that it detracts the spotlight from Yune.
What's wrong with focusing on some other characters than Yune, which we already have 5-7 episodes about her give or take

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr View Post
Claude-Camille seems forced. They seems to be constantly irritating each others, what's there to like?
Angry sex?
Old 2011-08-23, 03:05   Link #576
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Angry sex?
That's quite ironic, but I think I can imagine what would happen.
Okay, Chaos2, I think we got a whiff of Mr.Kyon's Holy Crack.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-23, 03:13   Link #577
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr View Post
Claude-Camille seems forced. They seems to be constantly irritating each others, what's there to like? Also, damn, Claude is the most principally stuck-up fictional guy I've ever seen in my life. Swallow some pride and think of Yune, he will not.

On the other hand, I'm kind of surprised about this sudden emancipation thing. The part where Camille tells Yune how it's pointless to base her life based on Claude's opinion. I feel something DEEP about that.
They may be irritating each other now, but it might not have always been that way (in fact, we know it wasn't). And even so, just because two people get on each other's nerves that doesn't mean they aren't mutually attracted.

I sort of took Camille's comment to Yune slightly differently. I don't think it was much from the perspective of not trying to live up to Claude's expectations on principle - I took it more as her telling Yune that Claude wasn't the sort of guy who would be impressed by that kind of thing, so don't bother.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-23, 03:17   Link #578
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
They may be irritating each other now, but it might not have always been that way (in fact, we know it wasn't). And even so, just because two people get on each other's nerves that doesn't mean they aren't mutually attracted.
Yup, Angry Sex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
That's quite ironic, but I think I can imagine what would happen.
Okay, Chaos2, I think we got a whiff of Mr.Kyon's Holy Crack.
What do you mean crack?! This would totally work!

The servants were even considerate to prepare a room with a big enough table so when tensions run high and things get heated, Claude and Camille have plenty of room to french it up.
Old 2011-08-23, 05:38   Link #579
calorie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
What's wrong with focusing on some other characters than Yune, which we already have 5-7 episodes about her give or take
What's wrong is that it isn't entertaining me; I tend to see Ikoku Meiro as the more fun (but just as relaxing) version of ARIA with more focus on Japanese culture, and making one extremely likable, strong character (Yune) instead of several mediocre ones. So I hope this 19th century social analysis through Camille and Claude won't be taking much more screen space in the attempt to make this already great slice-of-life something more pretentious but also more boring. And it seems like the next episode is again heading in that direction.

This was still just a minor remark on my part, I nonetheless enjoyed this episode too, was just sharing my thoughts, that's all.
calorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-23, 05:41   Link #580
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
What's wrong is that it isn't entertaining me; I tend to see Ikoku Meiro as the more fun version of ARIA with more focus on Japanese culture, and making one extremely likable, strong character (Yune) instead of several mediocre ones. So I hope this 19th century social analysis through Camille and Claude won't be taking much more screen space in the attempt to make this already great slice-of-life something more pretentious but also more boring. And it seems like the next episode is again heading in that direction.

This was still just a minor remark on my part, I nonetheless enjoyed this episode as well, was just sharing my thoughts, that's all.
No matter how good one character is, eventually even Yune would become boring if you don't switch things around once in awhile especially with such a simple story, and I certainly don't see the side characters as 'mediocre', they played their individual roles pretty well.

Quote:

This was still just a minor remark on my part, I nonetheless enjoyed this episode too, was just sharing my thoughts, that's all.
Fair enough.

Tags
historical, romance, shounen, slice of life