AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-12-15, 04:35   Link #81
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Although similar in appearance, the SVD and Kalashnikov are completely different machines inside.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-15, 16:18   Link #82
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
Last but not least, they recently sent several XM25 counter-defilade weapons to Afghanistan to see how well they perform onsite. It's supposed to be five times more effective than either the XM320 or the M203, so we will probably witness another tactics shift should the XM25 prove itself as a potential gamechanger.
I certainly am looking at the XM25 with quite a bit of interest. Assuming it works as advertised, it'd provide substantially different kind of tactical options for infantry in the field. I'm suddenlly imagining that taking cover in trenches is going to prove to be allot less effective for the Taliban. I'm not gonna put money on it, but it somehow doesn't seem unreasonable that smart munitions like this are going to start becoming standard infantry weapons in the future.

Making the XM25 purely a grenade launcher seems a much more realistic goal than what the army had previously with the OICW. They tried to stick a rifle and a smart grenade launcher together, and ended up with a rifle with a barrel to short to be effective, and a grenade to small to work as efficient ordinance. And to top it all off, it exceeded the weight requirements.

Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-15, 20:43   Link #83
Lost Cause

GundamFan0083, another big "Thank You!" for the fabulous pictures of the Schofield revolver as well as the old Colt Navy and Remington! I remember in the movie 'Pale Rider' when Clint Eastwood swapped the cylinders on his Remington durring the showdown with the crooked Sheriff! I was like "WHAT"! I might have to fondle one the next time I see one.
That XM25 is certainly menacing looking, what sort of ammunition does it use?
I heard that the AN-95 was to expensive for general issue to Russian troops. Which is why most stayed with AK-74s.
I vastly prefer revolvers, to qoute Obi-Wan Kenobi:"Not as clumsy or random as a blaster, an elegant weapon for a more civilized time."

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-15, 23:27   Link #84
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallschirmjager View Post
Although similar in appearance, the SVD and Kalashnikov are completely different machines inside.
I was referring to the appearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
I certainly am looking at the XM25 with quite a bit of interest. Assuming it works as advertised, it'd provide substantially different kind of tactical options for infantry in the field. I'm suddenlly imagining that taking cover in trenches is going to prove to be allot less effective for the Taliban. I'm not gonna put money on it, but it somehow doesn't seem unreasonable that smart munitions like this are going to start becoming standard infantry weapons in the future.

Making the XM25 purely a grenade launcher seems a much more realistic goal than what the army had previously with the OICW. They tried to stick a rifle and a smart grenade launcher together, and ended up with a rifle with a barrel to short to be effective, and a grenade to small to work as efficient ordinance. And to top it all off, it exceeded the weight requirements.

Very nice, though I think they need to downsize it.
The weapon looks cumbersome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Cause View Post
GundamFan0083, another big "Thank You!" for the fabulous pictures of the Schofield revolver as well as the old Colt Navy and Remington! I remember in the movie 'Pale Rider' when Clint Eastwood swapped the cylinders on his Remington durring the showdown with the crooked Sheriff! I was like "WHAT"! I might have to fondle one the next time I see one.
I heard that the AN-95 was to expensive for general issue to Russian troops. Which is why most stayed with AK-74s.
I vastly prefer revolvers, to qoute Obi-Wan Kenobi:"Not as clumsy or random as a blaster, an elegant weapon for a more civilized time."
You are most welcome.
The old Dragoon pistol is one of my favorite colts.

Primarily because it was the weapon that Leiji Matsumoto used to model his Cosmo-Dragoon pistol off of for Space Pirate Captain Harlock:

Old 2010-12-16, 04:55   Link #85
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
25X40mm grenade rounds. Supposed to be accurate to point target 500 meters out and longer if you got an area target. This is a pretty big advantage compared to the m203 which is only good up to slightly more than half that (300m) at area targets.

Plus, the XM25 is multishot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
Very nice, though I think they need to downsize it.
The weapon looks cumbersome.
It IS a multishot grenade launcher with a built in rangefinding device. And I think it's the angle.

I'm not sure where you could downsize. The Army already abandoned the OICW part of the project since they found the 20mm grenades inadaquete. Certainly can't downsize the caliber here.
Old 2010-12-16, 05:20   Link #86
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I heard that the AN-95 was to expensive for general issue to Russian troops.
The other big reason is because the AN-94 uses a double-tap fast-track loading system, which "preloads" a second round beneath the bolt, allowing it to be chambered just after the first round is fired and the bolt slams back (guaranteeing a theoretical, non-continuous rate of fire of 1,800rpm if my memory serves me well). It's quite a complicated system and not that easy to maintain, which is why the Russians prefer to leave the AN-94 to the special forces instead of the regular army, which is more content with a simpler weapon.
Quote:
They more or less succeeded with the XM29 SABR, but even that got shafted then broken down into multiple components (the targeting system, the XM25 and the ill-fated XM8). Budget cuts and a bevy of other issues (too short a barrel, etc) finally spelled its doom. Not to mention that the one system it was supposed to work with, the Land Warrior (which could have made use of the fire-behind-cover concept), was also cancelled right after it got fielded in Iraq...although now they're banking on the Future Force Warrior program, originally the follow-on to the Objective Force Warrior (the LW's projected successor), another prog that slipped into oblivion.

But the XM29's engineering issues didn't prevent South Korea from riding on the US Army's coattails with their new Daewoo K11:

And that one is just about to be issued to regular troops.
Old 2010-12-16, 06:13   Link #87
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Well just looking at the K-11, it does seem a whole lot more ergonomic than the OICW. And they definitely got it significantly lighter than the XM29 by 1-2 kilo's at least. Gotta say that's pretty good engineering on the South Koreans part.
Old 2010-12-16, 07:33   Link #88
ZeKeR
Superbad

tho i like the K11's look... cant tell of its specs tho... but i can say is that its like a K1 with an OGL attached....
Old 2010-12-16, 10:04   Link #89
Messerschmitt_Bf-109
y hello thar

I'm against general ownership of guns, but I live in Texas, so it is pretty much required to own a gun. Got a 12 gauge shotgun, a .22 rifle, a .357 magnum, and a .380 auto. All given to e by my grandparents.
Old 2010-12-16, 11:13   Link #90
GundamFan0083

Quote:
I'm not sure where you could downsize. The Army already abandoned the OICW part of the project since they found the 20mm grenades inadaquete. Certainly can't downsize the caliber here.
I'm not surprised that they abandoned the project.
It's not the first time the Army has attempted this kind of thing.
Back in the 1950s they tried to develop a weapon dubbed the SPIW (Special Purpose Individual Weapon).
Ian Hogg wrote a book on it called The Deadliest Weapon That Never Was: SPIW.

Here's a picture of it.
It looks like a similar concept to the OICW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
The other big reason is because the AN-94 uses a double-tap fast-track loading system, which "preloads" a second round beneath the bolt, allowing it to be chambered just after the first round is fired and the bolt slams back (guaranteeing a theoretical, non-continuous rate of fire of 1,800rpm if my memory serves me well). It's quite a complicated system and not that easy to maintain, which is why the Russians prefer to leave the AN-94 to the special forces instead of the regular army, which is more content with a simpler weapon.

They more or less succeeded with the XM29 SABR, but even that got shafted then broken down into multiple components (the targeting system, the XM25 and the ill-fated XM8). Budget cuts and a bevy of other issues (too short a barrel, etc) finally spelled its doom. Not to mention that the one system it was supposed to work with, the Land Warrior (which could have made use of the fire-behind-cover concept), was also cancelled right after it got fielded in Iraq...although now they're banking on the Future Force Warrior program, originally the follow-on to the Objective Force Warrior (the LW's projected successor), another prog that slipped into oblivion.

But the XM29's engineering issues didn't prevent South Korea from riding on the US Army's coattails with their new Daewoo K11:

And that one is just about to be issued to regular troops.
Wow, kudos to South Korea.
That certainly looks a lot less cumbersome than the American version.
Very nice.
Old 2010-12-16, 12:28   Link #91
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
I'm not surprised that they abandoned the project.
It's not the first time the Army has attempted this kind of thing.
Back in the 1950s they tried to develop a weapon dubbed the SPIW (Special Purpose Individual Weapon).
Ian Hogg wrote a book on it called The Deadliest Weapon That Never Was: SPIW.

Here's a picture of it.
It looks like a similar concept to the OICW.

Aside from both being rifles that had grenade launchers, I'm not seeing the similarity. A big focus of the SPIW project seems to have been to make a flechette weapon. The OICW (and K11) fired regular 5.56mm NATO.

And there's a bit of a difference between a rifle with a grenade launcher and a rifle with a grenade launcher PLUS the targeting system and air detonating grenades that this project has created. There seems to be a more distinct design philosophy.
Old 2010-12-16, 20:33   Link #92
Lost Cause

Ok, time to name your favorite movie, anime, or TV show that featured a favorite gun!
Me first; Movie 'Quigly Down Under' starring Tom Selleck, featureing The Sharps rifle
Anime; the original 'Appleseed' featureing a Colt 1911
TV show; 'The A-Team' featureing the Ruger Mini-14
TV show; 'The Rifleman' starring Chuck Conners and featureing a Winchester 92

Ride, Boldly Ride!

Last edited by Lost Cause; 2010-12-17 at 21:07. Reason: Adding another favorite!
Old 2010-12-16, 20:40   Link #93
james0246

TV Show: Sledge Hammer! - .44 Magnum Smith & Wesson Model 29.

That's all I can think of...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-16, 20:51   Link #94
Lost Cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
TV Show: Sledge Hammer! - .44 Magnum Smith & Wesson Model 29.

That's all I can think of...
LOL! I remember that one!! David Rachie (sp?) played the lead role right? God it was a hoot!^-^

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Old 2010-12-16, 21:17   Link #95
kaizerknight01
Extra Superior Otaku

my fav gun's
kaizerknight01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-16, 22:32   Link #96
Kagayaki

Here's a freebie crop sig, if anyone wants it.

AS safe, nontransparent:

Transparent:

source: http://danbooru.donmai.us/post/show/421322
Kagayaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-17, 21:10   Link #97
Lost Cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaizerknight01 View Post

my fav gun's
Now your talking! Totally AWESOME!

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Old 2010-12-17, 21:23   Link #98
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Ah, I have the wallpaper for this (as well as the opposing shooter's wallpaper)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagayaki View Post
Here's a freebie crop sig, if anyone wants it.

AS safe, nontransparent:

Transparent:

source: http://danbooru.donmai.us/post/show/421322
Old 2010-12-17, 22:21   Link #99
ZeKeR
Superbad

featuring one of my favorite guns, the AWM/AWC....
(the girl is from the JP flash game material sniper)

get yourself back on that scope. NOW. (inb4 people will say she look like Saber)

confession INTERVENTION (immature, isnt she?)

you should try to use a semi auto for a change
Old 2010-12-18, 19:34   Link #100
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
So that's where that image is from.

I recall JR using a version of that his signature and avatar.

I'll give it a whirl...

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firearms, guns