AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2018-12-20, 14:23   Link #1
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Major characters with pride problems

Pretty simple request, I'm looking for heroes (not necessarily the MC but still major protagonists) who suffer from excessive pride, an inflated sense of self-worth. Particularly those who are in the story forced to learn humility and face matters like their personal limits and the way they measure their worth. Most obvious is Bakugo from MHA, though his arrogance isn't as big a characteristic or as big a problem as his rage. And Vegeta, again packaged with at least as much rage potential as pride.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-20, 17:20   Link #2
kitten320

Accelerator from Toaru Majutsu no Index comes to mind, the strongest character in the series who believes that entitles him to being a shithead.

Tales of the Abyss - MC is an arrogant prick who causes tons of trouble that finally makes him re-think his behavior.

Major - if you are into sport series then this could work. Goro is a talented baseball player with a massive ego to the point that he believes he can be a one man team. His character goes through changes and development over 6 seasons.

Kuroko no Basket - similar thing but with basketball. Not MC this time though. Aomine is an amazing basketball player who has not lost in years and his arrogance is sky rocketing.

Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch - MC is all about pride but it does bite him in the ass quiet badly on several occasions.

Ballroom e Youkoso - dancing anime. Chinatsu who appears in second part of the series is a prideful person but in order to win she needs to learn to corporate with her meek partner.
Old 2018-12-20, 17:32   Link #3
Pale Rider
The Silent killer of GGO

Death note comes to mind, MC believes himself better than everybody else, eventually biting him in the ass hard. Most anime fans have already seen it, but in the off chance you haven't, it fits pretty well with what you're after.
Pale Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-21, 07:37   Link #4
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Goro from Major was the first one I thought of as well.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-21, 13:45   Link #5
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Kojiro Hyuga from Captain Tsubasa has a bit of that but it might be dated due to how extreme he is. In the series, he is incredibly violent while playing but at the same time, he has a soft spot for his family to the point he works for them despite being underage. During the first season, Hyuga starts caring about football as well as his teammates.
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-21, 15:25   Link #6
Ka-el

Selim Bradley is quite Pride... lol
Ka-el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-22, 16:46   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I think a couple of characters in Re:Creators qualify including Aliceteria and the antagonist.

Revy's pride gets in her way from time to time in Black Lagoon.

Then there's Dallas Genoard in Baccano! who deserves his fate.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-24, 16:35   Link #8
AntonKutovoi

Escanor from Nanatsu no Taizai is Sin of Pride for a reason. Granted, he is yet to receive any lessoin humility, because his arrogance is more than deserved.
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-26, 11:31   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

How could I have forgotten Chiaki Shinichi from Nodame Cantabile? Not an action character by any means, but he definitely has a "pride problem."
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-01, 18:40   Link #10
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Does too much chivalry count as pride? Cause now that I think about it, most characters from the Fate franchise are considered egoist for their wishes (my avi included). Arturia wants to change her past which is ridiculized by Gilgamesh and Iskander as they consider that an insult to all the people she served to.
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote