AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-12-25, 00:46   Link #1
Taufiq91

JC Staff: Studio discussion, speculation, and whatnot.

I saw a Gonzo & KyoAni thread, so I guessed why not make a thread discussing JC Staff?

JC Staff seems to make both really god and really bad animes.

For every Azumanga Daioh, Toradora!, Excel Saga, Bakuman, Index/Railgun and Ookami-san, you'll also get Eiken, Ikki Tousen and Puni Puni poemy.

JC Staff basically will adapt any manga or light novel into an anime. And whether that's good or bad actually depends on the hardwork they put for a series.

But to me, JC Staff's hardwork seems to be all over the place.

I mean, Ikki Tousen gets FOUR SEASONS!

Why? Nobody demanded it, and the last time i checked, not many people bought the DVDs. And they're planning to make another season of Ikki Tousen!

I mean, what's up JC Staff? Why are you making more seasons of that? I don't mind seeing a second season of Maid-sama or Ookami-san, but another season of ikki tousen? Seriously?

Anyways, what are your thoughts on JC Staff along with their current and future output?
Old 2010-12-25, 01:27   Link #2
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taufiq91 View Post

Why? Nobody demanded it, and the last time i checked, not many people bought the DVDs. And they're planning to make another season of Ikki Tousen!

I mean, what's up JC Staff? Why are you making more seasons of that?
??

J.C.STAFF only worked on the first season of Ikkitousen (2nd and 3rd seasons by ARMS, 4th season by TNK).....At any rate, it sells quite well on DVD, and that's why the series has gone on for so long.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-25, 01:40   Link #3
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
But to me, JC Staff's hardwork seems to be all over the place.

Well, JCStaff only handled one season of Ikki Tousen, the others were by different studios. And the series does sell, very well actually

from the sales thread

Spoiler for snip:

Also, I'm sure what anime gets a new season isn't in the hands of the studio itself, but the sponsors decision.

What do I think of the studio itself? I don't know a whole lot about it to really make a judgment about it. I a good number of what they produced, Shana, Toradora, and Azumanga Daioh being some of my all time favorites, but other than that I don't really feel strongly for them. If I hear their name attached to an Anime, it would have a good early impression on me.

edit: ninja'd on the ikki tousen bit :P
Old 2010-12-25, 01:46   Link #4
Taufiq91

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
??

J.C.STAFF only worked on the first season of Ikkitousen (2nd and 3rd seasons by ARMS, 4th season by TNK).....At any rate, it sells quite well on DVD, and that's why the series has gone on for so long.
Forgive my ignorance lol :P Yeah, i finally realise that JC Staff only did the first season of ikki Tousen.

But yeah, even with the DVD sales, it's one of the least deserving animes to have a sequel.
Old 2010-12-25, 18:08   Link #5
Echoes

While I agree that JC staff has made some atrocious stuff, like the cited Eiken (*shiver running down spine), I don't think it's anywhere near the 50-50 ratio that is implied. I like the vast majority of their shows. They're not all masterpieces, but the majority of them range from decent to awesome.

I actually think Ikki Tousen is one of the better shows that employ "shameless" fanservice; it's actually interesting at times. It's not great, but it's mindless fun. Ironically, I commend JC Staff for their involvement, as the first season is much better than any of the sequels. (Though that tends to be the case with most works, so it's not necessarily their involvement that was the cause.)

In short, they make a lot more good than bad, and like Arabesque mentioned, their name is likely to make a positive impression on me, and make me a bit more likely to pick something up.

Shana III ASAP please!
Old 2010-12-25, 18:40   Link #6
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
Well, JCStaff only handled one season of Ikki Tousen, the others were by different studios. And the series does sell, very well actually
The latest Ikki Tousen season didn't. Those DVD sales figures for Xtreme Xecuter really aren't that good.

I can understand it getting four seasons (as the first three sold decently well), but this anime has run its course (commercially), imo.
Old 2010-12-25, 18:47   Link #7
TyG3R

I'm not a fan.

I think they are ok , but nothing really special , all the stuff made by them is decent.There are a few exceptions of good shows , but that's it.

They're best work is Honey and Clover. Great anime , definetly worth watching.
Old 2010-12-25, 18:49   Link #8
FireChick

My favorite anime that were produced by them are Nabari no Ou, Nanaka 6/17, and Aoi Hana.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-26, 06:39   Link #9
arias

If they made Azumanga Daioh, they're good for life. Need to make more of that good shit.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-26, 22:13   Link #10
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Some of their best titles:
- Revolutionary Girl Utena
- Excel Saga
- Azumanga Daioh
- Shakugan no Shana
- Honey and Clover
- Nodame Cantabile
- Toaru Majutsu no Index
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-27, 00:54   Link #11
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

While there are indeed 'better' studios like the Kyoani and Bones etc. I would consider JC Staff my favorite because more often than not, their choice of series usually clicks with me the right way.

Shana, Index, Kaichou, Zakuro, Ookami, ZnT (what 2nd and 3rd season? No such thing!), all of them just feels right for me Plus they do awesome parodies! I'll be looking forward to their new series in winter!
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-27, 01:00   Link #12
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
The latest Ikki Tousen season didn't. Those DVD sales figures for Xtreme Xecuter really aren't that good.

I can understand it getting four seasons (as the first three sold decently well), but this anime has run its course (commercially), imo.
I was going to make a case that it had more to do with the sales being split between the DVD and bluray sales, but after taking a look at both, I'm inclined to agree with you that the Ikki Tousen anime has ran out of steam. It's a bit strange that there would be such a drop between GG and XX.

That being said, it could be that XX was poorly received due to the quality of the show itself? I haven't watched anything past mid-Dragon Destiny so I wouldn't know if that played a factor in that.

On the thread's original topic, I have a question regarding something I've been seeing mentioned regularly on topics about anime's produced by the studio (specifically Bakuman and Index II) where the drop of quality of these shows is related to the problems with their outsources. Is there any information about this matter?

Quote:
Plus they do awesome parodies!
The -tan specials always manage to make me laugh
Old 2010-12-27, 01:07   Link #13
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:

The -tan specials always manage to make me laugh
Well it's not only the tan specials, they also sometimes references their previous shows in regular episodes, like for example Ookami when they had the cast of Toradora and Railgun make a surprise appearance They have quite the sense of humor

...But yeah, I'm crossing my fingers for the next [Shana-tan vs Index-tan] showdown ever since I saw the first one
Old 2010-12-27, 02:05   Link #14
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

The cameo's are pretty nice, though I don't really count them as jokes. I did think it was hilarious that one scene in Ookami

But the specials are the best parts for me. The Shana ones are always funny (the Index are also pretty good, I especially liked how they explained Schrodinger's cat lol )

Kinda sad that there wasn't a Railgun-tan though
Old 2010-12-27, 05:46   Link #15
TJR

Quote:
On the thread's original topic, I have a question regarding something I've been seeing mentioned regularly on topics about anime's produced by the studio (specifically Bakuman and Index II) where the drop of quality of these shows is related to the problems with their outsources. Is there any information about this matter?
I don't think there's going to be any information aside from idle speculation. In terms of staff and scheduling, J.C.STAFF isn't the only studio to encounter problems. For instance, Madhouse and A-1 Pictures have struggled with Iron Man and Togainu no Chi, respectively. Earlier, SHAFT had problems with Dance in the Vampire Bund, so I'd guess that the availability of talent has become less predictable. It's a bit strange for three reputable studios to fall flat on their faces simultaneously.

[While I don't know if this is related, competition for work amongst animators has become pretty fierce given the decline in the number of projects. Consequently, people (and perhaps animation assistance companies) are trying to line up lots of work ahead of time, sometimes double booking. If so, I wonder if this can explain unexpected resource shortages or schedule delays.]

Going forward, studios might want to rethink how they plan and coordinate projects to prevent such issues.

Quote:
While there are indeed 'better' studios like the Kyoani and Bones etc. I would consider JC Staff my favorite because more often than not, their choice of series usually clicks with me the right way.
They're kind of a reliable favorite for me, in terms of both content and production. J.C.STAFF rarely produces masterpieces, but you can usually count on them to make something nice looking and above average in quality (plus I love their art styles and knack for animating tsundere characters).
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-27, 05:53   Link #16
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
I... um don't like most of their shows. Except Shana, that's pretty decent. Excel Saga was pretty funny from the little I saw of it.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-27, 06:05   Link #17
Taufiq91

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
They're kind of a reliable favorite for me, in terms of both content and production. J.C.STAFF rarely produces masterpieces, but you can usually count on them to make something nice looking and above average in quality (plus I love their art styles and knack for animating tsundere characters).
The thing about JC Staff is that they can adapt ANYTHING! They've done pretty much 95% of genres in anime. They have amazing diversity in genres. You want slice of life, you get Azumanga Daioh. You want sci-fi, you get Index/Railgun. you want romantic comedy, you get Toradora!, You want parody, you get Excel Saga, you want mecha, you get Gunparade so on and so forth.

In terms of genre diversity, JC Staff is the greatest example of them all. However, they don't get exposed by Hollywood unlike Madhouse or Gainax. Which is kind of a shame.
Old 2010-12-27, 06:19   Link #18
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
The thing about JC Staff is that they can adapt ANYTHING! They've done pretty much 95% of genres in anime. They have amazing diversity in genres. You want slice of life, you get Azumanga Daioh. You want sci-fi, you get Index/Railgun. you want romantic comedy, you get Toradora!, You want parody, you get Excel Saga, you want mecha, you get Gunparade so on and so forth.
They also do a pretty good job at shoujo series heh.

It's like... You can look at a Light Novel, and KNOW if it's going to be a JC Staff Anime in the future

Quote:
In terms of genre diversity, JC Staff is the greatest example of them all. However, they don't get exposed by Hollywood unlike Madhouse or Gainax. Which is kind of a shame.
They produce fun series (comedy/romance/action), but hardly anything that is well, something that grabs a hold of the west's attention.
Old 2010-12-27, 06:41   Link #19
brocko

The only real outstanding shows I've seen from J.C Staff have been Mahoraba ~Heartful Days~ alongside Honey and Clover. Bakuman has been pretty great so far as well.

They seem to have no problem making popular shows, but on the flip side they also seem to be rather inconsistant at making good shows too with just as mediocre to decent and solid stuff.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.

Last edited by brocko; 2010-12-30 at 04:31.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-27, 06:46   Link #20
Taufiq91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
They produce fun series (comedy/romance/action), but hardly anything that is well, something that grabs a hold of the west's attention.
They did Excel Saga and Azumanga Daioh. Both of these shows are so popular that JC Staff deserves a Gainax-esque popularity in the West.

But i think JC Staff has problems in terms of marketing their shows. I mean, unlike Gainax, KyoAni & Madhouse which has full on PR & Marketing power to appeal to the West, JC Staff tends to ignore those. When was the last time a JC Staff anime has a huge billboard in Akihabara that is usually occupied by KyoAni/Gundam/Shonen animes?