AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2010-04-14, 04:27   Link #81
Socke
Banned

Finally I was able to play it in English. I wasn't impressed with its graphics considering it was already few years old in Japan.

However Sega did made smart choice though. They did not dub it. Maybe they are using same strategy as Yakuza games(except first one).
Socke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-14, 08:32   Link #82
Elvin

They gave 2 different disks, one is the entire game with English voices and the other is the entire game with the Japanese voices, so you can't really say 'they did not dub it.'
Elvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-14, 11:05   Link #83
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

And Wii users are stuck with dub. Not that's entirely a bad thing, as Laura Bailey <3.

The artbook was also worth the money. For once, it's hardcover!

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-14, 14:14   Link #84
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Well the PS2 version isn't being released here, so i'm just stuck with the dub anyway.

I'm not a fan of dubs, though thankfully this one i can deal with. Sure i can just turned off the voices, though it's nice to add a voice to the character from time, plus it's not fully voiced which helps.
Old 2010-04-16, 06:22   Link #85
Sciel
Etoilé

Didn't really like Gemini's dub voice TBF :|
Sciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-04, 10:37   Link #86
Mauru

Sakura Wars So Long My Love.

Finally, the game is out. For all the Anime, Dating Sim and SRPG lovers it is a must have!

What is Sakura Wars?

Sakura Wars (also referred to as Sakura Taisen) is a series of Strategy RPGs developed by Red Entertainment (Tengai Makyo, Thousand Arms), Overworks/Sega WOW (Skies of Arcadia, Valkyria Chronicles), and published by Sega (You know, Sega!). The series features character designs by renowned manga artist Kosuke Fujishima (Tales of Phantasia, Symphonia, the Abyss, and Vesperia), music by Kohei Tanaka (Alundra, Bionic Commando), and story by Ohji Hiroi (Moeyo Ken).

The concept is simple at first glance: Sakura Wars is a strategy RPG with an unusual twist for building your stats. In the game, you play as the captain of a specially created unit of female solders with high levels of spiritual energy to fight the forces of evil in large, steam powered robots. Sounds pretty cookie cutter so far? Good, ‘cause that’s as many cookies as we’re gonna cut!

What makes Sakura Wars so special then?

Lots of things, but for now let’s stick with gameplay. Unlike most RPGS where characters improve by gaining levels through experience earned in battle, in Sakura Wars your squad members improve in strength and mobility the more they like/trust you. A typical “episode” in a Sakura Wars game consists of two modes:

1) Adventure Mode: Walk through the theater/town, talking to the various characters in the story
2) Battle Mode: Get into them mechs and take down the bad guys.

The Adventure Mode is where the stat building occurs. As you walk through the theatre (your base) and the town itself, you’ll encounter the various members of your squad doing whatever it is the story feels like having them do at that particular moment. As you talk with them, you’ll come across questions or situations where you have to choose how to respond. Respond correctly, and the girl’s trust increases. Respond poorly, and you lose trust.

Now, I know what you’re thinking. “That sounds like one of them dating sim hentai games!” Let’s get this out of the way: Yes, there are dating sim elements. No there is no hentai. But even THIS aspect of Sakura Wars is hardly standard fare; like everything else in this series, there’s a twist involved.

In most adventure games/dating sims/Elder Scrolls, when the window of choices pops up, you have more than enough time to read each response, think it through, and select the best choice accordingly. But that hardly seems interesting/realistic right? I mean seriously, what girl’s gonna wait there for hours and hours for someone to respond to a simple question?

Sakura Wars utilizes a system called LIPS for your options, and these responses are timed. Usually, you’re given no more than 3-5 seconds to respond. That’s 3-5 seconds to read each response, decide on the best one, and then select it. So you gotta be on your toes. Let’s take a look at the following screen:

See that bar around the text window? That’s the timer, and it’s going to fill up fast so you better respond quickly or your character will say/do nothing instead. BUT this also brings up another interesting choice; sometimes the best course of action is to say/do nothing.

Additionally, there are times where you’re given one choice, but must adjust the volume/intensity with which you state it to the appropriate level using the analogue stick.

There are also times where you’re given one long time frame to go through several timed options.

As you can see, it’s anything but cookie cutter. All of these interactive scenes in Adventure Mode serve two purposes:

1) Determine the stats of the characters in Battle Mode
2) Determine which ending you’ll get at the end (i.e. which girl you “win” with)

Now, you might say to yourself “Well, that’s easy then! I’ll just make every girl trust me and they’ll all kick ass in battle!” Not so fast buddy! It’s not that easy. All of the girls have various and sometimes conflicting personalities. Some girls are easier to please than others. And sometimes, you’ll converse with two “conflicting” girls at once, meaning you’re liable to gain one’s trust while simultaneously losing trust from the other. And you can’t afford too many weak links when you enter Battle Mode, or you can get your ass handed to you if you’re not careful. So it’s a giant balancing act, one that’s much more addicting and interesting than it seems at first glance!

And this is just the Adventure Mode. Now let’s talk about the Battle Mode! Here’s a screenshot of a typical battle scene in Sakura Wars:

For those who’ve played Valkyria Chronicles, you might notice a couple of similarities (or at the very least, you might have read some of us mentioning them in the official VC thread). This shouldn’t come as much of a surprise; this is the game Overworks developed immediately prior to Valkyria Chronicles. Unlike the grid-based competitors like Final Fantasy Tactics, Disgaea (or the first two Sakura Wars games I might add…), this Sakura Wars title features a free roaming battle field, with the Action Bar at the bottom of the screen determining how far you can move.

The major difference is that in Sakura Wars, the bar isn’t just for movement. It’s also used for actions like attacking (all mapped to a specific button, as shown). Each bar is split up into a set of partitions. Move a certain distance, and one partition will be drained. Thankfully, if you haven’t carried out any actions, you can also return to your starting position to refill your gauge. As you can see, this system requires careful management of the Action Bar. Maximize it to make battle easier. However unlike Valkyria Chronicles there are no real-time elements to the battle system; it’s a strictly turn-based affair.

There are some other notable similarities between Sakura Wars and Valkyria Chronicles (though there are arguably, just as many differences if not more)

- Both are set in an alternate version of the early 1900s (SW modeled after the 1920s, VC after the 1930s)
- Both feature similar gameplay flow of story sequences, followed by battle sequences (and a similar menu in-between these scenes for saving and reviewing your characters).
- Both feature one very highly powered technology that runs just about everything (SW uses steam, VC has “ragnite”)
- In both games you play as the captain of a squad, and in both games if this captain is killed in battle, the game ends (also like VC, the story characters don’t “die”, they retreat. Unlike VC, there are no non-story based characters in battle though).
- Both games are told in “Episodes” (or “Chapters” in VC)

A quick FAQ:

I’ve heard the game Nippon Ichi is bringing to America is actually the 5th game in the series. Am I going to be completely confused?

With the exception of a couple of cameos in the first 15 minutes, this is a pretty self-contained game. There’s no need to worry.

I’ve heard some people say this entry isn’t the best the series has to offer. So is this a bad game then?

To me, this argument is akin to saying Super Mario Bros. 2 is a pile of trash because 3 is better. It may be different, and maybe not as good depending on who you talk to, but it’s still a really good game and definitely worth picking up!

I don’t like JRPGs that have light-hearted unrealistic stories, big eyed characters, peppy music, turn-based battle, and colors other than green and brown. Will Sakura Wars change my mind?

No, no it won’t. However, if you do like quirky off-beat humor, lovable characters, colors, and are willing to check your disbelief at the door, it’s a fun and entertaining ride.

So this is coming to the PS2 and Wii?

The game was released for the PlayStation 2 in Japan. According to Nippon Ichi America’s Press Release, it’s coming to the US on both the PS2 and Wii, so you can pick whichever system you prefer.

What kind of review scores did it get?

Famitsu: 10, 10, 9, 8 (37/40)
Deigeki: 90, 85, 85, 85.
Publication Score
1UP.com 83 / 100
Famitsu 37/40
GameZone 6 /10
IGN 9 / 10
Nintendo Power 7.5/10
RPGamer 3.5 / 5
RPGFan 9/10
Cheat Code Central 9/10
Nintendo Life 9/10
TotalPlaystation 9/10
ZTGameDomain 8/10
WorthPlaying 8/10

What are these “extras” that Nippon Ichi mentioned in their press release?

The game features an option called “The Long Day in New York,” where you can walk around the town and talk to various characters to view images and cinemas you’ve viewed, music you’ve heard etc.

Will the game feature the original Japanese voices?

According to this link here, Nippon Ichi is going the extra mile and releasing this as a 2 disc set!!! One disc will have the English Dub, the other will have the original Japanese language! And this is standard! As far as I know, this is the first time in videogame history that a company has released a game on multiple discs for the sole purpose of accommodating different languages (however please correct me if I'm wrong)

Two disc set? What's the cost?

PS2 is looking to be $39.99, Wii $49.99

Is there a website?

Just click right here! for the official US website: http://www.sakurawars.us/

Can I please see what the game looks like in motion?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp3fLJz6Mvw

Gallery

Adventure Part:

Battle Part:

System:

Credits go to RurouniZel and his post in Neogaf because I am to lazy to write my own post.

My other thread is outdated and it's main focus was the upcoming of the game. This thread is about the game already being out and informing people.

Last edited by Mauru; 2010-05-04 at 10:53.
Mauru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-04, 12:29   Link #87
Sides

Only the PS2 Premium Package has 2 discs, the Wii comes as one disc and is version is dubbed.
What can i say it just feels dated, since the japanese released was in 2005. However text adventure fans should go for it.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-04, 15:52   Link #88
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
I got the premium version and Even after all this time I was still able to enjoy it's release in English. It was fun comparing my translations with the official translation too. ^_^
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment
DingoEnderZOE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-05, 05:12   Link #89
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
I don't know why you created this new thread when the original thread you created is still active
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 20:23   Link #90
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae

I dug up this funny picture recently.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 20:34   Link #91
DingoEnderZOE2

Reviving a two year old topic just for a joke?

=/
Old 2012-09-24, 23:00   Link #92
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Meh. I found it interesting though.

Wasn't saying it for a joke.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-24, 03:03   Link #93
DingoEnderZOE2

Bringing this topic back up to announce that Project X Zone has officially been confirmed to be coming out in the states thus giving a bit more exposure to the Sakura Taisen series by including Ohgami Ichiro, Sakura Shinguchi from Sakura Taisen 1 -5, Erica Fonteinu from Sakura Taisen 3 - 4, and Gemini Sunrise from Sakura Taisen 5.