AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-10-27, 17:16   Link #21
Weissent
on and off member

German ..

.. can be a bitch without doubt. As a native speaker of G., I. took E.English, A.E., Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, French, and by the way fuck you.

Since tradition forbids us to say anything positive about our language, I just say: If you want to know about the origin of English, learn German. Have Fun.
Weissent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-27, 17:18   Link #22
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ???
Can someone tell me why in hell german is one of the main language to learn at school ? Did adolf Hitler invade canada or something ?

I remmember when i was at collage, i used to choose between Spanish VS German and most students choosed spanish and 1% choosed german :P

Why is that?
You got conquered by spain?
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-27, 17:28   Link #23
Meow
So Who Is On Top ?

In canada you should at least talk 3 languages wich is: English, Spanish, French. as for:

German is not an obligation to learn here.
Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-27, 17:28   Link #24
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexander
I pray to god no :lol: .
There is a German Mod (name starts with R but he isn't online very much).

Quote:
.. plus ... I don't know what I'm saying ... german is a very tough language indeed right?
Well, sometimes it's even harder for me to say stuff in German than saying it in English although I'm a native speaker (I blame the English fansubs )

Quote:
Mein pen0r ist sehr klein. Es ist nur 5 milimeter. traurig ... nein?
Wow, and I didn't even notice in the "Post your thigh" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by anita-chan
NSW ist nicht eine manchen
OMG! Anita-chan just revealed NSW's gender! I'd tell you if you bribe me with positive rep and/or sexual services

PS: "Dick" means this and not that

Furthermore, if you could speak German you'd notice that there is lots of stuff said in Animes that are German or relate to it. So if you are a hardcore otaku go for it ^_^

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ???
Did adolf Hitler invade canada or something ?
Actually, yes he did. It's a fact that isn't known very well because historians decided to erase all records of Hitler invading Canada with his special sqaud of Killer Rubber Ducks, mounted by elite Penguins (they were drawn from the German base located in the North Pole - that's why the fish is speaking German there, too). Am I the only one who wonders why this fact is being kept secret?
Anyone else thinks of Godwins law by now?

Last edited by _Sin_; 2004-10-27 at 17:40. Reason: Added useless stuff because the post was on topic and helpful before - and I don't want to make a good impression here, now do I?
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-27, 17:50   Link #25
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

The hardest part I thought are the genders ... It's a huge part of the vocab. Not only do you need to know the meaning but the gender also. 3 genders(he,she,it) + the formals.
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-27, 18:10   Link #26
Anita-chan
Disabled By Request

i hate german ... really gets on my nerves ...

as for your translation of my brilliant works whoever translated it .... how can braun = brown and braun = green at the same time xD silly person, -rep .. im gona look for u and -rep you now wahahaha....

i thing i hate the most in german, was .... the teachers =.= .... my teacher was a guy who went on temper management courses and in class he would go red and count to 10 ^^ was very fun ..... 1, 2 , 3, 4 ,,, 5 ,, 6 ... EXPLOSION!!!!

scary xD .... i just noticed ... NSW hasnt PM'ed me today

tis a sad day to be on a forum
Anita-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-27, 18:29   Link #27
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
I've studied German for a total of five years (seven/eight at the end of my schooling if I hadn't dropped it) and it's nothing you want to pick up just for the heck of it. I'm Swedish so a lot of the vocabulary and pronounciation is already there (the easiest parts of German), but I am horrifyingly bad at grammar and the German grammar downright confuses the heck out of me, and considering I can't even understand the grammatical rules governing my own native language of Swedish that's pretty bad . I can, at the very most, order food and ask for directions :P

German is one of the coolest sounding languages in the world though, but if there aren't any real classes your German would be limited to something like this:

Ich hätte gern eine junior tüte und ein klein cola

Or something like that.
srb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-27, 18:35   Link #28
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by srb
German is one of the coolest sounding languages in the world though
I'd really have to disagree with you here ... I hang out with 2 german girls on a daily bases ... even with their girly voice ... it's so rough sounding. It doesn't have that sweetness and flow, hard to explain...

Anita-chan - o_O ... you want to perhaps pm me about it too ... I don't think I get it wasn't grun(or however it is spelled) that you wrote from just a post in the thread and a message in rep box ...
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-27, 18:48   Link #29
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
Quote:
I'd really have to disagree with you here ... I hang out with 2 german girls on a daily bases ... even with their girly voice ... it's so rough sounding. It doesn't have that sweetness and flow, hard to explain...
That's what makes it so cool! It's a very rough and powerful language.

Other very cool sounding languages are very formal Chinese, Japanese and such.

Swedish is great for official documents, it sounds so very authoritarian and rigid
srb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-27, 19:24   Link #30
Meow
So Who Is On Top ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by srb
That's what makes it so cool! It's a very rough and powerful language.

Other very cool sounding languages are very formal Chinese, Japanese and such.

Swedish is great for official documents, it sounds so very authoritarian and rigid
Cool ? no way.. i have a friend who talk arabic and each time he talk arab he spit to everybody.(Arralallalalallarararralaaaaa) saliva everywhere

Mermaid Voices:

French
Spanish
Italian
English
Japanese
Portuguese
Korean
Latin/Greek
Ive never seen peoples eating ther tongue while talking to someone.

monstrosily Voices:

German
Chinese
Russian
African
Arabic
Dutch
And those alien noices from starwars.
Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-27, 20:07   Link #31
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Lol, I understood *some* of Anita's post. Basically the easy stuff lol. I know 'Meine' from Meine Liebe (My Love~)...hopefully XD

hallo, meine name ist anita und ich bin sebt zehn jahre alt. ich habe braune haare und habe braun augen ... ich am nicht tall un am sehr dick
Hello, my name is Anita and I ----------. I have brown hair and brown eyes. I have - tall and -

ich wohne ist in London, Nightwish gelive near ich (its breaking down badly here ) meine hobbies sind radfahren, fussball und ticht-tennis (bike riding, football and table tennis ... this aint really my hobbies but they were standard and easy )
I (live in?) London, Nighwish - near me. My hobbies are - - and -.
ChibiDusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-28, 04:27   Link #32
Anita-chan
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiDusk
Lol, I understood *some* of Anita's post. Basically the easy stuff lol. I know 'Meine' from Meine Liebe (My Love~)...hopefully XD

hallo, meine name ist anita und ich bin sebt zehn jahre alt. ich habe braune haare und habe braun augen ... ich am nicht tall un am sehr dick
Hello, my name is Anita and I ----------. I have brown hair and brown eyes. I have - tall and -

ich wohne ist in London, Nightwish gelive near ich (its breaking down badly here ) meine hobbies sind radfahren, fussball und ticht-tennis (bike riding, football and table tennis ... this aint really my hobbies but they were standard and easy )
I (live in?) London, Nighwish - near me. My hobbies are - - and -.
yea, your right ... i live near NightWish too .... nothing can change that mr nightwish ....

can you believe that i got 3A's 1B and the rest under C's >< i was accepted to do A levels under conditions such as, work your arse off or we going to kick you after a year ><

if only i learnt my german vocab (pfffft!) and actually focused in classs listening to the teacher instead of turning to the back of my book and doodling ^^ im sooooo nawtee in school hehe...

*EDIT* Btw, you can see gelive ... well it basically means when i dont know a word, i usually add ge- alogn with the word ... for example Chibidusk is gay i would right .... chibidusk ist gegay ... hence the ich gelive near Nightwish

*EDIT 2* i joke i joke
Anita-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-28, 04:55   Link #33
subcool
Arienai Co-Founder

Send a message via ICQ to subcool Send a message via AIM to subcool
German is a weird language...
for example:
In Dutch (my native language) the word for Lake is "Meer" but in German the word "Mer" means Sea and the dutch word for Sea is "Zee", but in german "Zee" means Lake lol

And, Blow in dutch (blazen) means "suck" in german and suck (zuigen in dutch) means "blow" in german o_O

this might have been confusing, but german is a weir language for sure o.o;

I never know whether to use Der, Die, or Das cause i can't remember all the namefalle >_<

Unlike english, german and dutch both have a formal version of You.
German: Sie (note the capital S =P, Sie = formal you and sie = you (when talking to/about females)
Dutch: U (yes, the U has to be capitalized =P)

@Meow:
African is not a language btw, its "Afrikaans" wich is derived from Dutch. i can understand afrikaans quite well even though i never spoke it =P

ps: try try pronouncing Sch from Scheveningen =P
its harder than you think
subcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-28, 10:07   Link #34
Bracken33

I like "hard" languages more then "soft" ones. Of course it is totally subjective what is "hard" or "soft".
Using my personal scale languages like german, russian, japanese or latin are hard languages. I really love to hear them.
Italian for me is a "soft" language (some call it mermaid voices ).

Quote:
In Dutch (my native language) the word for Lake is "Meer" but in German the word "Mer" means Sea and the dutch word for Sea is "Zee", but in german "Zee" means Lake lol
Yeah, "Meer" means sea.
But with "See" it is more complicated:
"der See"=lake but "die See"=sea.
e.g.: "auf hoher See"=on the high seas
Bracken33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-28, 10:10   Link #35
Cha

Sorry, double post (at the moment, my Internet is kinda slow)
Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-28, 10:10   Link #36
Cha

I'm also from The Netherlands.

Anyways, although I pretty good with languages, I really suck when it comes to German...
(Although, I'm getting the hang of it (grammar is easy...))

At school, I'm getting: Dutch, English, German, French, Latin and Greek.
And outside school, I'm trying to learn Mandarin Chinese (cause I am one of them) and of course, Japanese (what a lousy manga/anime fan I would be if I didn't).

Last edited by Cha; 2004-10-28 at 10:31.
Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-28, 11:21   Link #37
7thMethuselah

My native language is Flemish, which in theory is the same as dutch but we use different expressions and words for the same situations while both are grammatically correct (the dutch use "jij" while flemish will use "gij" for example) and the pronounciation can differ.
Personally I find German a very cool sounding language, since it sounds like a softer version of dutch, also it has a feeling of power with it. I also like the sounds of most scandinavian languages (they are all in the same language family(the german language group)). However I hate the Roman languages, imo they don't sound good, especially french (even though I'm quite good at it too)

Learning the German language isn't easy because of the beforementioned namefalle (those take quite a bit of practice), and the genders, but if you wanna be able to conversate with germans there is no real need to know all of these perfectly. I'd say go for it if you are interested in them. If you can speak dutch or a scandinavian language allready, or even english to a certain extent, you'll find that the vocabulary isn't all that hard, and this is allready a major part in any language study.

PS About the "Afrikaans" : any native dutch/flemish speaking person can understand it easilly, because it practically the same although they use extremely funny words and expressions all the time (for dutch speaking ppl that is). Try speaking to someone who knows Afrikaans, you'll find it very amusing

Quote:
Originally Posted by subcool
ps: try try pronouncing Sch from Scheveningen =P
its harder than you think
LOL, so very true, what about "schoolschrift" (schoolbook) a real tongtwister for those who can't handle the "sch" (which is not the english sch btw )
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-28, 11:37   Link #38
ato
Oups...

What's with all the German bashing? It's a perfectly ordinary natural language - It has it's fair share of wierd exceptions, but not excessively so. Actually, germans being the way they are ( ) have catalogued and categorised just about all of them for your convenience... I mean, try learning English for example!

My distant memories from school seem to suggest that pretty much everyone hated learning German, not so much because of the language itself, but rather because it was a language they were not in the slightest interested in. You see, the Swedish education system places a great emphasis on learning languages. English is mandatory, and then you have the choice between (in a normal school) German, French and Spanish (some schools offer Russian, Italian, Finnish, Icelandic and so on, but the three first can be had pretty much everywhere). Since a lot of people (including me) are lazy bastards, and lazy bastards abhor working, they invaiably choose German. It is by far the closest related to Swedish and hence entailing a magnitude lower effort in learning vocab. Now, since no one has any real motivation, and learn real slowly, German is percieved to be A) Difficult and B) Boring. So. There.

Anyhow, if you are interested in learning it, then I would highly suggest finding someone to teach you, or at least talk to you. The grammar es excruxiatingly well documented, and can be learned fairly fast, as can the vocab, but the pronounciation will take a lot of work for an average English speaker. Also the only way to get used to constructing your sentences "backwards" from what you are used to will take practice, practice, practice. But don't worry - As these things go, English is fairly close to German, and it should be a snap compared to East Asian languages
ato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-28, 12:52   Link #39
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

I've also been interested in learning German. The reason is that a lot of high-tech research related to my field goes on in Germany and Switzerland and I've often come across documents/papers that were in German. I thought it would be helpful to learn the language because of that. Plus I like German hard rock

I already know Japanese (well, for the most part) and I didn't find it hard to learn at all. I did take 3 years of Spanish in high school and I know hardly any Spanish now. I agree with ato, it is much, much easier to learn a language when you want to than to learn any other language when you have no motivation to.

Anyways are you guys going to keep bashing German/whatever or are you going to share some useful texts/references for Chibi and I?
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-28, 13:15   Link #40
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

I could start posting in german only, so you two have something to learn.
..or maybe.. not...

oder doch? hmmm
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote