AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-10, 21:20   Link #41
Ke0

Send a message via AIM to Ke0
Good episode, I knew that eating PS had something to do with the Homos, and we all pretty much knew those limbs were Ed's and Wrath was Izumi's kid. Good to see my theory wasn't crap
Old 2004-05-10, 22:12   Link #42
tektonik
I can see that speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaint
The ones that try and cash in the money too fast and start the series very early like FMA are forced to go and make their own story, but of course the story is NEVER as good as the original manga one. Pretty soon you will start seeing plot holes and things that generally don't make sense. People have already said the whole thing about Envy being the youngest yet now Wrath seems to be.
So the manga is immune to having plot holes? The story in the anime is fine and as long as they explain things as they have been doing I have no problems with it.
Old 2004-05-10, 22:13   Link #43
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

These statements somehow just come across to me as just simply wrong in some way......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grona
Well looks like we have conformation on how homos are created
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke0
Good episode, I knew that eating PS had something to do with the Homos, and we all pretty much knew those limbs were Ed's and Wrath was Izumi's kid. Good to see my theory wasn't crap
Old 2004-05-10, 22:41   Link #44
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
Vandread

Now now Yebyosh lets not get side tracked to gay fetish over here =)

Well I thought this episode was very nice and for those of you manga readers who complain that the anime is not as good as the manga here is the way to look at it:

We did NOT watch the manga so we don't care how much better it is because in my opinion, its good enough as it is right now. But I do know how you are feeling as I am a Naruto manga reader and I feel that the manga was better. Never the less, please have more respect towards the anime. Thank you.

PS: If my post was completely irrelevant to what you were discussing please ignore me as I did not have the time to read through all the posts. Ja nei
Old 2004-05-10, 22:52   Link #45
FlyByNite

So if Homunculus
Spoiler:

and if Wrath
Spoiler:

Then
Spoiler:
Old 2004-05-10, 22:52   Link #46
tiramiisu

I actually think the anime is better, it developes the characters more deeply and emotionally, even if the events are starting to differ from the manga, the stuff in the anime probably flows better as an anime. Just because the anime isn't exactly being faithful to the manga, it shouldn't be biased as crappy.
Old 2004-05-10, 23:14   Link #47
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova
I just want to add that the mangaka plans to have FMA running for 20+ years. There is NO WAY anyone would wait 20 years to start on an anime. And no way most of the readership will stay way into their thirties and fourties.
Actually, I have been corrected on this, the manga is only supposed to go for 7 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
These statements somehow just come across to me as just simply wrong in some way
I'm glad that im not the only one who was upset by this decided use of "homo". Also the use of HT. Seriously people, stop being lazy and making up things. Just at least try to spell it out, even if you get it wrong. And why dont you just call them "the sins". There are no homunculus that arent sins (yet).

Anime vs manga is another thread...

Last edited by bayoab; 2004-05-11 at 00:40.
Old 2004-05-11, 00:10   Link #48
Lost World
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaint
Look at animes like One Piece,Naruto,etc. The anime creators actually waited a bit before starting the anime and create some filler episodes here and there and a filler arc if need be BUT still stick to the main story that was in the manga.
Naruto and One Piece were given an unlimited number of episodes. Full Metal Alchemist (not nearly as popular) was given 52. They have to tell a complete story. What else would you like them to do? Stick to the manga and not have an ending?
Old 2004-05-11, 00:13   Link #49
Zauren
Master of Pimpage

About Juliet and Ishbal

Spoiler:

Another thing about Envy...

Spoiler:

And to Fighter Volk...

Spoiler:

It's not as good as the last couple, but still pretty good. I want to see more of Scar, Lust and Gluttony and Roy though! Grargh!
Old 2004-05-11, 00:43   Link #50
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Envy: Like I would know!

Okay, now that I've watched the AA version, here are some points I thought of:
  • The bag that we saw last episode is probably the smashed-up skull piece that Envy used to imprisoned Greed. I still don't like how the anime depicts Greed as Envy's bitch, GRRR.
    GREED IS SUPPOSED TO BE PIMP, m'KAY?!
  • Because of the anime's intention to connect Lust to Scar's sister-in-law (probably to allow a smoother transition for Scar to become Ed and Al's ally against the Sins), Lust is now a young Homonculus instead of an old school Sin who existed before Greed got imprisoned. Regardless of how much you anime-only people are annoyed by comparisons to the manga, I still want to point out that I liked it much more when Lust was the ring leader; maybe I just don't like Envy very much...
  • Sloth is now almost certain to be Ed and Al's human transmutation.
  • loki9x had already spoke of this, but I'm going to talk about the homonculus-creation process with emphasis on chronology: although it remains unclear how the transmuted version of Scar's sis-in-law, Izumi's kid, and Tricia Elric were all monsters that resembled nothing like human yet look exactly like how they should've been once they've become homonculus (except with pale skin), I can now finally construct a substantial theory regarding the "inconsistent chronology" people have been talking about: when "Lust" and "Sloth" were transmuted, they were intended to be adults and were immediately "ready" to become homonculus. I initially thought that because they were already adults, they were strong enough right away to open the gate on their own, but judging from Envy's impressed tone when he commented on how Wrath got out of the gate on his own, the rest of the Sins most likely came to being through a different method. In support of that, it is unlikley for Sloth and Lust to spawn from where they were originally transmuted (especially Lust...in the war-zone?). Unlike Lust and Sloth, Wrath was intended to be a baby so it took time for him to grow, but instead of having to wait to be brought in like everyone else, his acquisition of Ed's arm and leg made him capable of getting out on his own.
    Cliffnotes for lazy people: Wrath started off as an infant and took quite some time to grow older to get out on his own whereas Lust and Sloth started off as adults and were already suitable to be brought into the world.
  • So...will there be a homonculus who took Al's entire body?

Last edited by sarcasteak; 2004-05-11 at 01:20.
Old 2004-05-11, 01:02   Link #51
Kyon

Wow. LOTS to learn here in this episode!
While everyone else is at it, I'd like to toss my theories out, too
Spoiler:

And about Ed's arm and leg...

Spoiler:

Which, to me, raises another question..
Spoiler:

Oh.. and my two cents on the Sloth/Wrath chronology& age debate
Spoiler:

Ahh! Sorry for writing so much. I hope it was an interesting read to someone, even if it's all wrong XD
Old 2004-05-11, 01:18   Link #52
sarcasteak
WAHA~

I don't think we need to spoil-tag everything anymore...^_^;;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyon
While it's not stated, I think that it implies that the homunculous that come through the gate are innocent like that until they take a human life. While the kid did not kill anyone there, he did taste the PS, which Envy states are made with human lives.
After the kid eats them, he seems to remember everything, and sees his own kind of truth.
Well...I think the kid became wrathful because he regained his memory of everything that was caused by the fake PS candies, not because the candies involved human lives.

Quote:
Envy a.so says that the kid MUST be a homunculous to be eating those.
Normal humans probably will just die if they eat those; they are, afterall, solid version of the "red water." Besides...I don't think they'll taste good to anyone not a homonculus. ^_^;;

Quote:
And about Ed's arm and leg...
I'm sorry, but I think it's kind of silly. If a homunculous needs a body part of an alchemist in order to preform alchemy, wouldn't all homuncili be able to?
Granted, none of them seem to have all the abilities of a "human" alchemist. They seem to have one specialty. Does this come from the body parts?
Refer to my above post. I think the other Sins' abilities were granted by someone else, but Wrath escaped the gate with his own power and circumvented the normal process because he gained the ability to perform alchemy thanks to Ed's generous donations.

Quote:
Maybe Wrath just took Ed's arm & leg for the heck of it :P At first, we're led to believe that it's part of an equivalent exchange. Al's body& Ed's leg for their mother & the "truth", Ed's arm to seal Al's soul in the armor. However.. whether it was just tough-talking or not, Wrath makes it sound like Ed's sacrifices were not part of the equivalent exchange.
That's pretty much how I thought of it. The trade wasn't really "equivalent" to begin with, which led me to believe that the "things" inside the gate simply take away whatever they can when someone foolish ventures the gate...which results in the "trade," or more accurately, punishment.

Quote:
Ahh! Sorry for writing so much. I hope it was an interesting read to someone, even if it's all wrong XD
Doesn't matter whether you are wrong or not; feel free to contribute as long as your theories are supported and not random nonsense.
Old 2004-05-11, 01:25   Link #53
Kyon

Sarca- I didn't see your above post because I was typing mine up at the same time as you. lol After I submitted mine, I noticed there was a new one above mine that I hadn't read.
Maybe I'll come up with some random nonsense later. Like the time Greed through a beach party and Envy was pissed b/c he wasn't invited.
Old 2004-05-11, 01:44   Link #54
avmoghe

Cool Episode. I will agree that the battle in the beginning could've been much more dramatic, but its not a big deal. Random observations..

1.) We now know the identities of six of the sins; all except Pride. Pride is mentioned as already existing by Greed. Envy confirms that all seven sins exist at this point. Out of the sins Lust, Sloth, and Wrath seem to be the newer sins. Greed and Envy have been around for at least a century. I don't think we know how long Gluttony or Pride have been along. I think that Pride, whoever he is has been around for a while since Greed seems to know about his existence (and greed was sealed up for a century).

2.) Envy sealed up Greed; something to do with some skull. I would like to know exactly what Greed and Envy's group are fighting about.

3.) If homunculus are created everytime someone attempts a human transmutation, was there someone created when Ed and Al tried it? As someone stated, Sloth was born BEFORE Ed and Al's attempt.

4.) I would definitely like to know why wrath took Eds arm. Why wasn't he born immediately after Izumi attempted the transformation? Why did he hang around inside that gate till Ed came along?

so many questions.. oh well. I am eagerly looking forward to seeing Mustang vs. Scar.. can't wait. Gluttony and Envy are in the same area.. I'm expecting great things.

I would like to express my annoyance at the people who are comparing the anime and the manga. This thread is tagged [anime], and according to the rules, should only discuss the topics.. please take your comparisons and put them in another thread.

You have already lost the ability to enjoy the series to its fullest by reading the manga... please don't ruin it for the rest of us.
Old 2004-05-11, 02:08   Link #55
neoko

thanks for the nice pictures , they were very ... good? hehehehe and no i still haven't been spoiled yet, it just makes me all the more exited.
Old 2004-05-11, 02:16   Link #56
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Originally Posted by avmoghe
3.) If homunculus are created everytime someone attempts a human transmutation, was there someone created when Ed and Al tried it? As someone stated, Sloth was born BEFORE Ed and Al's attempt.
Then that "someone" stated wrong. We only know that a soldier named Julia Douglas started the Ishbal War and that Sloth currently works as the Fuhrer's secretary under the very name; we do not know whether Sloth was that soldier, so don't treat this like a fact.

Quote:
4.) I would definitely like to know why wrath took Eds arm. Why wasn't he born immediately after Izumi attempted the transformation? Why did he hang around inside that gate till Ed came along?
The popular theory (well, "three" is popular I guess?) so far explains that the reason Wrath didn't come out right away was that he was born an infant instead of an adult like Lust or Sloth. From Envy's impressed tone (when he commented that Wrath got out on his own), I'm led to believe that the other Sins were brought out through a different method when they were deemed ready. It seems to me that Wrath might still be waiting in the gate had he not taken Ed's arm and leg.

Quote:
I would like to express my annoyance at the people who are comparing the anime and the manga. This thread is tagged [anime], and according to the rules, should only discuss the topics.. please take your comparisons and put them in another thread.
Feel free to express your annoyance. Those particular manga information I mentioned and compared here no longer have any relevance to the anime. I am fully aware that certain future events in the manga might still be the same in both stories, but at THIS current point the manga story is more of an alternative universe so I don't see how I'm "spoiling" anything.

Quote:
You have already lost the ability to enjoy the series to its fullest by reading the manga... please don't ruin it for the rest of us.
That is your opinion...a cute one but silly nonetheless. "Ohnoes, I abstain from reading the manga...I am higher than thou! Ha you losers who read the manga! No animation and no music!"
Old 2004-05-11, 02:53   Link #57
avmoghe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcasteak
Feel free to express your annoyance. Those particular manga information I mentioned and compared here no longer have any relevance to the anime. I am fully aware that certain future events in the manga might still be the same in both stories, but at THIS current point the manga story is more of an alternative universe so I don't see how I'm "spoiling" anything.

That is your opinion...a cute one but silly nonetheless. "Ohnoes, I abstain from reading the manga...I am higher than thou! Ha you losers who read the manga! No animation and no music!"

Whether you are spoiling for future events or not is completely irrelevant. The rules don't say "talk about the manga if you're not spoiling". The rules say "talk only about the anime".

This thread isn't a place to talk about the manga... period. This is NOT the place to state why you liked the "manga-version" of Greed better, EVEN if your statements have no relevance to the anime and its future.

Make another thread without [anime], and post your comparisons there.

How is my opinion silly? You've read the manga. You have expectations about what is about to happen in the future. That is enough to ruin a series. The emotional impact of watching the entirely unexpected and tragic death in episode 25 is considerably lessened if you've read the manga ahead of time. The element of surprise is gone.. that is a fact.. not an opinion.

I've never said I was higher than anyone, or called anyone a loser. I know some people like the mangas better and I can respect their personal preferences. All I'm asking is for the manga readers to follow the rules posted... do not talk about the manga in certain threads. I don't think that's too much to ask.
Old 2004-05-11, 03:26   Link #58
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Whether you are spoiling for future events or not is completely irrelevant. The rules don't say "talk about the manga if you're not spoiling". The rules say "talk only about the anime".

This thread isn't a place to talk about the manga... period. This is NOT the place to state why you liked the "manga-version" of Greed better, EVEN if your statements have no relevance to the anime and its future.
Oh hey, Ed and Al defeated Cornell. Oops, that was in the manga as well. Sorry, I shouldn't mention that here.
Oh hey, I think if Greed were faster he could've beaten Envy to a pulp! Oops, that was a hypothetical comment not from the anime; I retract!

I respect your wish to keep your FMA experience strictly anime, I do, but I felt anything that is either completely the same in both versions (just an example of loopholes in the "rule") or any alternative depictions in the manga that are as relvent as any hypothetical remarks does not ruin your experience. I will take note of your complaint, though, and do a conscious effort to restrain myself from now on.

Quote:
Make another thread without [anime], and post your comparisons there.
Forgive me that I did not spam a thread everytime I want to make comparisons specific to a particular point in the episode. I will be sure to do that in the future.

Quote:
How is my opinion silly? You've read the manga. You have expectations about what is about to happen in the future. That is enough to ruin a series. The emotional impact of watching the entirely unexpected and tragic death in episode 25 is considerably lessened if you've read the manga ahead of time. The element of surprise is gone.. that is a fact.. not an opinion.
I'm sorry. I guess I didn't feel any emotions when the event in episode 25 occured during the manga. My bad...I ruined my experience of FMA because I saw the same event depicted differently. Clearly without the animation and the music, I ruined my experience of the series.

Quote:
I've never said I was higher than anyone, or called anyone a loser. I know some people like the mangas better and I can respect their personal preferences. All I'm asking is for the manga readers to follow the rules posted. I don't think that's too much to ask.
Aww, don't take the entire comment seriously if you strongly believe some of the points don't apply to you; I was merely covering all grounds.
Old 2004-05-11, 04:09   Link #59
avmoghe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcasteak
Oh hey, Ed and Al defeated Cornell. Oops, that was in the manga as well. Sorry, I shouldn't mention that here.
Oh hey, I think if Greed were faster he could've beaten Envy to a pulp! Oops, that was a hypothetical comment not from the anime; I retract!

I respect your wish to keep your FMA experience strictly anime, I do, but I felt anything that is either completely the same in both versions (just an example of loopholes in the "rule") or any alternative depictions in the manga that are as relvent as any hypothetical remarks does not ruin your experience. I will take note of your complaint, though, and do a conscious effort to restrain myself from now on.

Forgive me that I did not spam a thread everytime I want to make comparisons specific to a particular point in the episode. I will be sure to do that in the future.

I'm sorry. I guess I didn't feel any emotions when the event in episode 25 occured during the manga. My bad...I ruined my experience of FMA because I saw the same event depicted differently.

Aww, don't take the entire comment seriously if some of the points don't apply to you; I was merely covering all grounds.

Direct quote from the rules: "Threads with [Anime] in their title are strictly limited to anime discussion."

Its obvious from the above that posting facts about the manga version of Greed is not allowed in this thread.

Look, I'm not trying to be an ass, nor was I targeting you specifically. I'm merely asking everyone to stop further comparisons. The comparisons haven't ruined much for me so far, and I wish to keep it that way. I've had other series ruined for me by manga readers, and I wish to avoid that with FMA.

I do not care if you spam another thread when you want to make comparisons....just keep them out of a thread labeled [anime].
Old 2004-05-11, 04:23   Link #60
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Direct quote from the rules: "Threads with [Anime] in their title are strictly limited to anime discussion."

Its obvious from the above that posting facts about the manga version of Greed is not allowed in this thread.
I am well aware of the way the wording of the rule. My point was that I felt the those manga comparison can be treated as mere hypothetical scenarios, but thanks for bringing it to my attention that others don't necessarily see that the same way. I'll make a conscious effort to keep them out of the episode threads.

Oh, and I commend you for remaining civil even when I wasn't...^_^;;
Closed Thread