AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > School Rumble

Notices

View Poll Results: SR Second Term Episode 2 Rating
Perfect 10 22 29.33%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 22 29.33%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 20.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 9.33%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 6.67%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.33%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 2.67%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.33%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-04-14, 21:13   Link #21
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

I didn't think this episode was that great. It was funny in the first stanza and the twist at the end was hilarious, but I thought the majority of the survival game (so far) was rather tedious. Particularly the scene with Shigeo and Madoka. I found that very much overdone and it wasn't nearly as funny as I think they intended.

Mako was good in Ichijou's voice... particularly when she sang. I thought when she spoke she was trying just a little too hard to emulate Ichijou's old seiyuu, but her singing is quite strong. I'm not exactly sure what the point of having the song when they did was though. It's probably part of School Rumble's patented style of pretending to be ultra serious when it's not, but I didn't think it worked brilliantly this time. I suppose that could be said of the entire episode as well.

A few humourous moments, but not nearly as funny as last week's episode.
Old 2006-04-15, 03:49   Link #22
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

wow u didnt like this episode? i thought it was FANTASTIC!

i knew i couldnt wait to see this one ever since they showed it in the ending previews of the first series.

nakamura showing up was great. that is comedy at its finest.
i really hope that itoko makes a stunning scene also. and i cant wait to see what karasuma does.

shigeo being shot in the back by hi sgirlfriend. i bet it affects him emotionally in future episodes. cant wait if they add any puns to it.

im so glad they made this longer than one episode. i hope they continue with the serious yet misplaced humor.
Old 2006-04-15, 06:06   Link #23
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit
wow u didnt like this episode? i thought it was FANTASTIC!
I didn't not like it... but let me put it this way: I thought last week's episode was far better. As far as School Rumble episodes are concerned, this one ranks somewhere in the middle... maybe a touch below average for an SR ep.
Old 2006-04-15, 12:42   Link #24
arias

This episode was excellent. Good mix of everything, and the parodies and exaggerations were well done : ) If anything, SR has a really good director who knows how to pace the episodes.
Old 2006-04-15, 13:10   Link #25
ragnarokr
The Rare Visitor

Send a message via MSN to ragnarokr
Voted 8.

Yeah, it had Battle Royale written all over it, could it have been intentional.
Old 2006-04-15, 15:06   Link #26
Xinil
Blargh

Send a message via ICQ to Xinil Send a message via AIM to Xinil
I'm going to have to agree with everything Sorrow-K said.

This week's episode was enjoyable, but no where near the quality of last week's episode. This one just felt crazy all around. While I enjoyed it, I would definitely appreciate episodes like last week more. Too many "ehh...that's not funny" parts in this episode. By the way, why do we care about some group singing? Or who cares about Madoka and Shigeo's relationship? Where'd that come from? Why'd they waste near 5 minutes of the episode with it? *sighs*

I give it a 7.
Old 2006-04-15, 15:33   Link #27
philip72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinil
Or who cares about Madoka and Shigeo's relationship?
*sotto voce* I kinda did *embarrassed*

They were one of the few successful couples in the series. Not a big fan of Madoka's anymore though.
Old 2006-04-15, 15:42   Link #28
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

yeah we have different tastes i guess. i thought the first episode was not done well
Old 2006-04-15, 16:49   Link #29
wombatlord
All Wombats Shall Bow

Episode 2 was very good; I've been looking forward to it for months and months, ever since I read the manga story.

To address one earlier poster--if they follow the manga, we'll get a big Tenma moment next episode.
Old 2006-04-15, 18:00   Link #30
FlyByNite

Madoka and Shigeo are like the only real couple in the class so I care

I know there's some other couple, but they've never really been featured at all.
Old 2006-04-15, 18:36   Link #31
iq2001
Dojiboron

Location: anime.... anime.... anime.... anime.... anime.... anime.... anime....
Cool

i could say that the episode two really makes one good hit on the anime industry...

hehehe just foolin around!!!
Old 2006-04-15, 18:44   Link #32
iq2001
Dojiboron

Location: anime.... anime.... anime.... anime.... anime.... anime.... anime....
Harima is the best!!!

justy lookin at him akting like an idiot makes him so cool!!
Old 2006-04-15, 19:38   Link #33
Trax
Rock beats scissors

I agree with Sorrow-K. Apart from a few gags... Episode 2 just wasn't funny overall imo. Really disappointing to me after a promising first episode. Gave it a measly 4.
Old 2006-04-15, 20:24   Link #34
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

It just didn't have the comedy that the first episode had. Or maybe all the Harima x Yakumo action in the first episode spoiled me...

This episode had to much... continuity? ^^ One long battle, albeit very interesting with over the top seriousness. Go Harima! And while we're at it, that crossdressing commando butler, too! =O

(DO NOT WANT!)
Old 2006-04-16, 02:09   Link #35
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Disappointing episode. First part (up to 7:20 minutes) ok, the rest was simply not good. Not enjoyable, slow, boring. Yeah, it was "Battle Royalish" , but that certainly isn't my cup of tea. And I don't expect that from SR. Imho, of course. Plus, no Tenma? no Yakumo? How could I even call it School Rumble then? First time a School Rumble episode (first season and OVAS included) let me that cold.
Total failure. 4/10
Old 2006-04-16, 03:08   Link #36
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowscar
thats one thing that has me confused when i first started watching that episode i though they were seriously dieing, but then im like those gotta be paint ball guns or something or maybe BB guns...
It can't be paintball guns, as one: paintballs leave a splattering mark and there are none to be found. And two: paintball guns (usually) aren't modeled after real guns, but the guns we see bear striking resemblence to actual firearms. The guns they're using are airsoft AEGs (Automatic Electric Gun). The AEGs are near identical replicas of actual firearms, but rather than shooting lead bullets, they shoot .20-.25 gram BBs at a usual mininum of ~300 feet per sec. I'm in the airsoft club of UBC and owner of a Tokyo Marui AK-47. The characters should've really worn more than just an eye shield, and there should never be any exposed skin. The BBs have enough kinetic energy to imbed themselves into the skin and flesh, and sometimes even enough to break and cut skin. Not pretty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K
Particularly the scene with Shigeo and Madoka. I found that very much overdone and it wasn't nearly as funny as I think they intended.
The way I saw it, I thought that part was delibrately overdone, like a satire of the whole "lovers dying together is dramatic" archetypical scene. I thought this way because the situation was so cliché and predictable (two people on opposite sides, lovers, yet enemies. And from the very beginning of the game at that conversation it was obvious to see that she was going to shoot him in the back and both was going to "die" together). And it sort ties in with what philip72 said. I believe they had Madoka betray Shigeo just so they can have this satirical scene. But yes, most of the episode was underwhelming. In episode 02, School Rumble did not do what it does best, but instead we are presented with an arms battle, and thus the quality of the episode is evidently lower. Only experienced a few glimpse of what SR really is.
Old 2006-04-16, 15:41   Link #37
Mephisto2k
anime4life

It was indeed not all that much the typical SR episode. But i think it was great non the less. Even though there werent that much of those "SR super funny moments", this episode have still proven the SR-anime-teams writing skills. They are also skilled in animating action arcs. Even though i know its just the typical "very serious when its actually not serious", its still done very good. And i liked the songs.
I cant complain about this episode. It was different but it was good.
Old 2006-04-17, 17:59   Link #38
Js2756
Thread Killer

Just a m'eh episode for me. Not all that much of Eri again, and Harima didn't really do all that much. Yakumo wasn't even there. Too many shots of Suou just hiding behind a desk. I have nothing against Suou, but at least have her do something. I had no problems with Ichijou's new VA though.
Old 2006-04-18, 10:14   Link #39
Xinil
Blargh

Send a message via ICQ to Xinil Send a message via AIM to Xinil
Haha, yeah, Js2756. Call me ignorant, but I didn't even know who the hell Suou was until this episode. In fact, if you showed me a picture of 5 characters, one of them being Suou, I probably couldn't pick her out. Damn I'm good.

Main characters are my main focus. I don't understand episodes like this that focus on secondary characters.
Old 2006-04-20, 04:42   Link #40
mtarzaim

6/10 for me ...

The begining (double mummies ! ) and the ending ( Eri with mustache ?! ) were at school Rumble level. But the overdone seriousness was a little ... overdone for me ! ^^

About Madoka, I think she shot Shigeo in the back, not because she truly wanted the maid café, but probably because he didn't figure out what she really wanted.
It's like buying a wrong present for a girlfriend. It's a bad sign of misunderstanding (yes, girls are more sensitive about that sort of things ^^ ). Her killing by the class rep appears to me somehow like a redemption.
So I don't blame her for what she's done.

The technical part was a little missed imo. And the VA for Ichijou felt weird for me (maybe a matter of time to get used to it ... ).

At least, Harima and Hanai are at their top. And I'm looking forward the next episode to see how they will settle their quarrel.

Closed Thread