AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-03-05, 09:12   Link #741
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

End Game DLC is now live for PS3 Premium players. PC and X360 Premium members will have to wait a week to join the fight. T_T

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Not that there's nothing to do in the meantime. As per the now-established routine, there's a pre-DLC patch to apply before jumping into the fray. And it's not a small, five-second formality. It's a whopping six gigabytes patch, containing mostly bugfixes and map collision issue adjustments (see link above for changelog).

There are four new vehicles in EG - two AA vehicles (a Vodnik and Humvee variant), the dirtbike and a C130 from which infantrymen and even an IFV can parachute (O_O) - now THAT is something to look forward to. There's only one new weapon to add to the BF3 panoply and it's the tactical suppressed M1911 (a M1911 with sound suppressor and tac light), something that was, IIRC, an exclusivity to beta testers or developers until now.

There are four new maps and two new game modes.
Old 2013-03-12, 06:44   Link #742
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Well, this is it, End Game (the last DLC, now DICE is free to leave BF3 in the dust and work on either BF4, Mirror's Edge 2 or another BF installment T_T) has made landfall for X360 and PC Premium players (a 4Gb update, which is slapped on top of last week's 6Gb patch). Just played a couple matches on it (Conquest on Sabalan and Air Superiority on Riverside) and there are some things that are interesting, others that I'm less keen about - for now, at least.

Some of the new maps are absolutely gorgeous - I particularly like the seasonal theme DICE used for this DLC and I immediately went for Sabalan Pipeline (the "winter"-theme map). Had some luck, first spawn was an IFV airdrop - got to experience this new feature firsthand and it's quite nice, it makes for tantalizing, deep, behind-the-frontlines insertions. I managed to find a dirt bike and boy is that thing nervous...swerving to avoid obstacles while at full speed still leaves you with a good chance of French-kissing a tree, a wall or some manmade structure. So either I need to lower the sensitivity setting for vehicle maneuverability...or I seriously need to get better at this.

Air Superiority...whoa.
The good:
- 24 x 24 is pure mayhem. My missile warning tone kept sounding off every five seconds or so, but there were plenty of targets to go after.
- Easy way to get air warfare ribbons.
- No waiting on an airstrip for a plane to spawn. You litterally spawn in midair (even in Conquest Large, IIRC), though with the engines spooled down.
The bad:
- Spawning was annoying as there is this is engine spooling delay that leaves you like a sitting duck for a couple seconds and...
- It seems they seriously decreased max engine output / engine throttling in favor of maneuverability (not a surprise, but still quite annoying when you're chasing after targets - takes too much time to catch up to them, IMHO). The cruise/top speeds were so reduced there were times I thought my engines were choking on blind birds or I was going into a stall.
- So many chances for midair collisions...
- No eject button. You just fly until you die.
- The flag (symbolized by a JLENS blimp) is not easily captured with all the constant flying and dodging. You literally have to fly around the darn thing, hoping there's nothing creeping up on you, straddling your jetwash. This is however made easier by DICE making the flag capture process faster, just like in Conquest Domination.
- Lots of kill steals by teammates. ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) Can't remember the number of times I found myself heartily molesting a Su-27 with the nose cannon only to see some guy sneak up behind me and steal my prey with a heat-seeker or a cannon salvo.

Haven't had the opportunity to try Capture the Flag yet, due to time constraints, so I'll have until this afternoon to join in and see what manner of chaos it keeps in store.

BTW, aren't those green strips (marking the roads where bike ramps can be found) silly? They're particularly weird on Sabalan. Yellow snow...hmmm...
*slap yourself if you're thinking about that*
Old 2013-03-21, 13:34   Link #743
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Well, it's now pretty much certain we'll have a Battlefield 4 Beta this year. EA is probably putting pressure on DICE to roll out another AAA title ASAP instead of letting the developers fix what's broken in the old games (such as the silly fluorescent roads found in the End Game DLC)... *sigh*

Anyway, the first pic available on the website above is that of a blurry, burning Nimitz aircraft carrier - probably an antiship missile hit.

YouTube

YouTube

Kinda sad to already make the jump from BF3 to 4, though, since I've spent >320h on MP fighting, unlocking, etc. I just hope that I'll have a better GFX card (700 series or an "old" 600) by the time BF4 hits the shelves.

EDIT:

Some interesting stuff on this website. Take it with a grain of salt, though.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2013-03-21 at 15:16. Reason: Added "land" video
Renegade334 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 16:13   Link #744
Chase

I can't wait to see. Im going to watch the trailer a 1000 times before the game is released knowing me.lol. BF3 and H4 are the only competitive mp shooters im still playing. BF3 way way more though. Game been out for a long time but I still don't have anything else I want to play like that because I don't feel their is anything else that can compete with it in my eyes. I like the options this game has.

P.S I look at some of the complaints ive had in here and all i can do is laugh. Especially the chopper ones.
Battlefield 4
Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 23:21   Link #745
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
Kinda sad to already make the jump from BF3 to 4
I don't think so. It's already been about a year and half since BF3 came out, would hit the 2 year mark by the time 4 comes out. I'm even starting to see BF3 graphics get a bit old compared to the newer games now.

And, since there's no more upcoming DLC now that EG came out, they have to make a new one, or create more DLC. Even then, the only DLCs I've like so far was B2K. EG is fun since it's something new especially with CTF, but the fact that javs can lock onto dirt bikes basically kills CTF. Not to mention you don't even know if you're being locked on while on the bike, I really hope they fix that.

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-24, 20:32   Link #746
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

I just got BF3 this weekend, as the free game for the Sim City debacle.

Played TDM for about 4 rounds on Noshar Canals. I found it to be surpisingly fun, and pretty enjoyable. First round my Kill/Death ratio was 4/15, next round was 8/14, third round was 15/7. I started getting pretty good with the RPK and the M27.

Tried playing last night, but I found myself getting disconnected from every single server I joined, so that was a little annoying. Still, for a game that I got free, I ain't complaining.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-26, 16:21   Link #747
Chase

Battlefield 4 is currently being revealed behind closed doors in Stockholm to the Swedish press and gamers. And the first details about the game have emerged.

Many suspected that Battlefield 4 would be powered by an updated Frostbite 2 engine — the same that powers BF3. Now it appears that Battlefield 4 is getting a brand new engine, Frostbite 3, filled with tons of new features built from the ground up.

Among the new additions is a much improved destruction feature where buildings can be completely destroyed (like in Bad Company 2, only at a much greater level and detail), a better lighting system, new animations, a brand new weather system, and more.

We’ll be hearing a lot more about Frostbite 3 and the technology of Battlefield 4 over the next few days. Stay tuned!

http://bf4central.com/2013/03/battle...e-frostbite-3/
Battlefield 4
Old 2013-03-26, 16:25   Link #748
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

BF4 is probably why I won't invest in Premium and the other expansions beyond B2K. I barely play at all so I can't justify buying it with my low income, but if BF4 comes along within a year or two, the incentive is even lower.

But, such is life. Besides, EA gained top shitlist status with me recently so no big loss. Just sad to see such a great franchise going this route.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-26, 18:04   Link #749
Chase

First BF4 screenshots

Battlefield 4
Old 2013-03-26, 18:25   Link #750
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Send a message via ICQ to Tk3997 Send a message via AIM to Tk3997 Send a message via MSN to Tk3997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
First BF4 screenshots
*snip*
Going by that first shot even after the UNIVERSAL hate and thumbs down it got... they seem to have kept the retardedly high bloom. Not that their utter incompetence managing BF3 post launch left much doubt, but this pretty much confirms that Dice isn't listening to a god damn thing the players are saying.

Tk3997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-26, 21:51   Link #751
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

I think I may skip on BF4. I have to wonder though - seems a bit fast for BF4 to be coming out. Bad Company 2 came out in 2010, BF3 in 2011... well, let's some SP has some benefit towards it.

I'm also not entirely keen on the whole Battlelog system of launching from the browser, but I suppose I can live with it - if I weren't getting kicked all the time.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2013-03-26, 22:20   Link #752
konart

leaked lq trailer:

YouTube
Old 2013-03-26, 22:28   Link #753
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
leaked lq trailer:

YouTube
That looks incredible
Battlefield 4
Old 2013-03-27, 00:26   Link #754
Chase

17 min trailer is up
YouTube
Battlefield 4
Old 2013-03-27, 00:42   Link #755
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk3997 View Post
Going by that first shot even after the UNIVERSAL hate and thumbs down it got... they seem to have kept the retardedly high bloom.
They did work on the God-awful flare at least when you watch the 17min gameplay footage. It's totally playable now...I'm sure there will be a video option for bloom issues if it really does look that bad.

Btw, the gameplay footage looks sikkk. After all these years of waiting for gameplay footage to somewhat match cinematic footage, it's here (kinda haha)! Looks like I'll have to shell out some doe to upgrade my desktop...

Was hoping for multiplayer footage though, tbh I don't care much for singleplayer for war games like these...kinda odd how they make singleplayer for the BF series when it has been large scale multiplay. I just hope they don't focus too much on singleplayer and ignore multiplayer issues.

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-27, 00:49   Link #756
Chase

Man i kind of wondered if they would even improve the graphics much and yep, they did. It looks amazing. Tho i probably won't even finish the campaign.lol. I love BF for mp, their campaigns are lackluster overall.lol.
Battlefield 4
Old 2013-03-27, 01:32   Link #757
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Never thought BF4 would be where I reclaim my love for "Total Eclipse of the Heart".

Looks absolutely stunning, I can see myself preordering it for sure.
Old 2013-03-27, 02:04   Link #758
T-6000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
Man i kind of wondered if they would even improve the graphics much and yep, they did. It looks amazing. Tho i probably won't even finish the campaign.lol. I love BF for mp, their campaigns are lackluster overall.lol.
I had hoped they would just do what they did with Battlefield 2, put in smart and capable bots and forget about the single player campaign. The campaigns feel like they're copies from the COD Modern Warfare series. In fact, when I saw the gameplay trailer I said to myself "It looks very nice, but this feels like another variant of COD Modern Warfare 2".

I'd love to see a sequel to Battlefield 2142. I'm a sucker for Sci-Fi and I feel that doing a science fiction setting can offer alot of potential.
T-6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-27, 02:14   Link #759
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

I'd be happy if BF4 could go down ME3's route with having both great SP and MP; ME3's SP experience was pretty good, but MP is where the action's at; I dumped around 60 hours into SP and have almost 200 hours in MP...

I believe in miracles.

Old 2013-03-27, 08:37   Link #760
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by barcode120x View Post
Was hoping for multiplayer footage though, tbh I don't care much for singleplayer for war games like these...kinda odd how they make singleplayer for the BF series when it has been large scale multiplay. I just hope they don't focus too much on singleplayer and ignore multiplayer issues.
Maybe we can have both.

I like BF2 and BF3 for their multiplayer aspects and BF3's SP campaign was weak, but, I am a dyed-in-the-wool SP gamer. I want good SP action. Companies are all trying to cash in on the MP buck. I know MP has been BF's bread and butter for a decade, but it would be very nice to see a quality SP campaign created out of the great technical achievements that the BF team at DICE make. CoD used to have superlative SP campaigns. The last really good one was the original Modern Warfare. MW2's was pretty poor and MW3's was "meh." Very few games come out anymore with good, quality, and LONG SP campaigns. Again, I know MP is BF's claim to fame, but I do not see it as all that unreasonable to attach a good SP campaign to the game. I'll settle for even a shorter campaign (6-ish hours) if it's at least a good story with good missions (See original MW campaign).

As for the people complaining about "blooms"... huh? What is that?

EDIT: Watching the trailer, I have to say I am underwhelmed by a few things. The mission seems terribly written and whoever is at the controls is bloody awful at playing.

I do like the squad commands, though; I think that's what they are. Seems like the player is giving a command to the team to suppress the enemy while the player flanks. And I do like that there apparently will be the ability to use vehicles at-will in SP.

EDIT #2: Finished the trailer... Not impressed with the SP so far. Obviously, this was just a premiere trailer and there's probably a lot of work to be done, but... yikes. Can we have a NORMAL campaign, like early CoD games? I am kinda tired of this spec ops stuff in locations that make no sense.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."

Last edited by JagdPanther; 2013-03-27 at 09:01.
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote