AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2011-11-10, 16:26   Link #3341
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
So........

no comments about that little thing happening up in State College?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
I want to say with the recent dirty laundry being aired out at Penn State, it'll be a shame if such a legendary career like Joe Paterno's ends like this.
. . ./10chara
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-10, 20:49   Link #3342
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDW View Post
Oakland at San Diego, Winner: Oakland. Justification: I mean sure, Carson Palmer's thrown three interceptions each against The Chiefs and Broncos, but Phillip Rivers also threw three interceptions against Green Bay last week. What really seals this for The Raiders is that The Chargers have yet to beat a team with a record of .500 or better, and the last time I checked, The Raiders still have a record of .500. Also, expect The Raiders to fake punt during the game.
And there it was. Less than half way through the first quarter.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-10, 21:10   Link #3343
FDW
Zettai Ryouiki Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
And there it was. Less than half way through the first quarter.
Yeah, and it's awesome every time they do it, even if it didn't work this time.
FDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-10, 21:59   Link #3344
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Penn State will burn to the ground (figuratively... for now). Things are bad. The situation gets worse and worse every few hours (literally).

I am just trying to stick to my routine, go to class, do my work, and somehow carry out my duties with Athletics.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-11, 00:29   Link #3345
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Penn State will burn to the ground (figuratively... for now). Things are bad. The situation gets worse and worse every few hours (literally).

I am just trying to stick to my routine, go to class, do my work, and somehow carry out my duties with Athletics.
Damn Jag, I forgot you live up there...So why don't you give us the low down from your unique perspective? Obviously Joepa had to be the lamb, but disregarding the media circus (Not easy I know)...What's the $hit no ones focusing on? Seems to me the dude who did all the diddling should be the one garnering all the hate and obtuse media scrutiny...
Old 2011-11-11, 00:37   Link #3346
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

I tell you what, man; I just read the grand jury indictment against Sandusky and I almost gagged. What a sick bastard and I hope he gets life.

And Penn State's lack off action when McQueary (who should have gone straight to the police) saw what he saw. . .
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-11, 00:44   Link #3347
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Carson Palmer might end up being exactly what Oakland needed once he gets more in sync with their offense. The big ones he unloaded tonight were pretty wow....Rivers is going to get eaten alive by media this week.

As for the Penn State fiacso...ugh...no person deserves to be the victim of something like that. Those responsible had better be made to pay. Sex crimes are usually taken too lighty. People generally only care when it hits close to home. *sigh*
Old 2011-11-11, 01:27   Link #3348
D2
Go Big Red!

Quote:

Been following the situation. Ugly, Ugly, Ugly. Stay strong and unified, sad and disappointed to see JoePa's career end this way with all the good he did for PSU. Don't let the holier-than-thou pundits get to you, hang in there!
Old 2011-11-11, 04:22   Link #3349
Samari
World's Greatest

Those students last night were really acting ridiculous. They made the entire thing about Joe Paterno. I understand they were frustrated because their legendary coach got fired, but honestly he deserved it. Apparently he knew about the entire thing and said himself in hindsight he should have done more. The funny thing is I think he actually had a chance to keep his job, but when he kept coming out of his house and showing support for his college worshipers and said his little statement about the board of trustees not needing to worry about him and that he'll coach the remainder of the season, that was probably the time where the board decided to bring the hammer down. They had to take back control of Penn State and maintain some order within that institution.

And the students throwing a fiesta on Joe Paterno's front lawn was one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen. And that was before the rioting began. Joe wasn't the victim in all of this. I will say that after all he did that the way he was fired was kind of screwed up since it was via a phone call, but really no other choices seemed logical at the time. The board members certainly couldn't have Joe Paterno followed by his legion of students to the building where the decision would have been made to fire him. Imagine him walking out in tears and the college kids burning that building to the ground. They also couldn't go to his house for safety reasons. Unfortunately this was the only method to do it. I get the feeling a lot of these kids were just using the entire fiasco as an excuse to run buckwild. If you watch the news footage you can tell a lot of folks were smiling and just having a good time causing mayhem. Those idiots needed to stop and think about what they were actually rioting far. Because a football coach got fired? Because he got a raw deal? Right, Joe Paterno really got the raw deal out of all of this. This is more than about a football legacy. It's about people. And it's about doing the right thing. Paterno failed at that. I don't care about the library he donated money to, or how many wins he has as a coach. All of that takes a backseat. Accountability had to be upheld. If he was allowed to coach another game even, it would be terrible and a disaster and further tarnish Penn State's reputation. The board of trustees made the right decision.

I really liked what this kid had to say though:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I'm pretty disgusted to see today that McQueary, who witnessed the rape yet did nothing to rescue the boy, will be on the sidelines in Saturday's game.
That is something I still don't understand. I don't see how he is not fired. I know he's not coaching this Saturday and he actually won't be on the sidelines. I'm guessing he won't be back after the season.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-11, 08:55   Link #3350
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Damn Jag, I forgot you live up there...So why don't you give us the low down from your unique perspective? Obviously Joepa had to be the lamb, but disregarding the media circus (Not easy I know)...What's the $hit no ones focusing on? Seems to me the dude who did all the diddling should be the one garnering all the hate and obtuse media scrutiny...
You're absolutely right. Sandusky himself has garnered virtually no media attention. All the attention is on the two guys who were not charged with any crimes. No one is talking about the three guys actually facing indictments.

I, personally, blame the students for fanning the flames of controversy and causing the Board of Trustees to panic into firing Joe. The students' actions made it seem like we're a very callous fan base that cares more about a football coach being treated like a deity than we do about victims of child abuse.

There was absolutely no need for that firing by the BoT... except but to panic in the face of media scrutiny. At this point, students are just rioting to riot. It's disgusting.

Quote:
I tell you what, man; I just read the grand jury indictment against Sandusky and I almost gagged. What a sick bastard and I hope he gets life.

And Penn State's lack off action when McQueary (who should have gone straight to the police) saw what he saw. . .
The questions swirling around McQueary and Joe are moral questions. Neither did anything wrong legally; that much is clear. Are the laws wrong? That's a debate to be had in the State Congress. In fact, legally, it would be bad for the prosecution of Sandusky if McQueary had gone to the police directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari View Post
Those students last night were really acting ridiculous. They made the entire thing about Joe Paterno.
Right on the money, Samari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari View Post
I understand they were frustrated because their legendary coach got fired, but honestly he deserved it. Apparently he knew about the entire thing and said himself in hindsight he should have done more. The funny thing is I think he actually had a chance to keep his job, but when he kept coming out of his house and showing support for his college worshipers and said his little statement about the board of trustees not needing to worry about him and that he'll coach the remainder of the season, that was probably the time where the board decided to bring the hammer down. They had to take back control of Penn State and maintain some order within that institution.
However, I disagree with this in large part. The Board of Trustees has acted extremely inappropriately this week. There was absolutely no need to fire him after he decided that he would step down following the season. I understand where you're coming from regarding the need to take back control, but they haven't actually done that. The BoT (and the school, as a whole) have showed incredible ineptitude in terms of crisis management. We have a god of crisis management on faculty here and he was interviewed for some articles this week. If you boil down what he was saying in each article, it basically comes out to, "What the FUCK are they doing? How stupid can this administration possibly be?"

Joe is not the issue in this case. As I said above, are there moral questions? Absolutely. But, legally, Joe did nothing wrong by PA law.

Quote:
And the students throwing a fiesta on Joe Paterno's front lawn was one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen. And that was before the rioting began. Joe wasn't the victim in all of this.
He was not, I agree. The students are absolute morons. I am a negative person, I'll admit, and I generally dislike most people, but I REALLY hate my fellow students right now. I will forever blame them for what happened to Joe this week.

The student body can wear blue ribbons all they want and try to have a candle light vigil for the alleged victims today all they want, but the fact remains is that the vast majority of the student body has done nothing but whine like little babies about how their beloved football coach is being treated.

Do I love what Joe Paterno has stood for? Absolutely. Have I wanted him to retire for years? Yes. What happened this week should never have happened. BUT that is not the issue! Why the hell are we not talking about Sandusky, Curley, and Schulz... you know, the GUYS ACTUALLY CHARGED WITH CRIMES? Why are we not up in arms about that?

Quote:
I will say that after all he did that the way he was fired was kind of screwed up since it was via a phone call, but really no other choices seemed logical at the time. The board members certainly couldn't have Joe Paterno followed by his legion of students to the building where the decision would have been made to fire him. Imagine him walking out in tears and the college kids burning that building to the ground. They also couldn't go to his house for safety reasons. Unfortunately this was the only method to do it.
The Board could have EASILY foreseen this; they chose VERY poorly.

Quote:
I get the feeling a lot of these kids were just using the entire fiasco as an excuse to run buckwild. If you watch the news footage you can tell a lot of folks were smiling and just having a good time causing mayhem.
You're 110% correct. It's the Penn State way, unfortunately.

Quote:
The board of trustees made the right decision.
Every decision that they have made so far has been the opposite of right.

Quote:
I really liked what this kid had to say though:
He's partially right. Joe didn't deserve to be fired. The second kid had a good point. When a guy like Joe has done so much for the University, he deserves some benefit of the doubt. Do I think Joe should have done more? Yes, I do. But to fire him was absolutely inappropriate, especially in light of him announcing that he'd retire and expressing remorse in his announcement. The Board has much bigger things to worry about, like civil and criminal suits heading right at them. An attorney for some of the victims has conveyed to the media that the victims and their families are upset with the Board's decision.

Quote:
That is something I still don't understand. I don't see how he is not fired. I know he's not coaching this Saturday and he actually won't be on the sidelines. I'm guessing he won't be back after the season.
He's received death threats and won't be coaching.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-11, 09:47   Link #3351
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The Board of Trustees were under enormous pressure to fire Paterno. Each day this week the sportswriters on shows like ESPN's Around the Horn and Pardon the Interruption spoke with one voice that he should be fired.

However a more important influence was probably PA's governor, Tom Corbett. He was the state's attorney general when the grand jury process began. When he was elected governor, he automatically became a member of the Board. He couldn't reveal what he had learned during the grand jury process, but it appears he put a lot of pressure on his fellow Board members to fire Paterno. I recommend this article for some details on his role.

Paterno had to go; McQueary needs to go, too. While there may have been threats against him, it does sound like a convenient excuse for keeping him off the sidelines tomorrow.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-11, 11:02   Link #3352
Highman
Keep Pounding and Destroy

Send a message via AIM to Highman
Quote:

You need a vacation for a very,very,very long time and paid trip leave off.
Highman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-11, 17:47   Link #3353
ChainLegacy
廉頗

The reason why the attention is swirling around Paterno and McQueary moreso than Sandusky is because we know what Sandusky is. We know he's a sick freak, and he'll be locked up for life, and probably get revenge raped by some violent inmate. Justice will be served, though of course if I had the chance I'd take a 2x4 to his skull myself.

The assumption is there might be an odd freak in the group, but these 'normal' people reacted in a pretty heartless way themselves. Certainly not on the level of Sandusky himself, but what's the deal with McQueary? You see a kid being raped and choke up and call your daddy? I'd be horrified too, but I'd also be in tears worrying for the kid. You have to stop the rape IN PROGRESS, in my mind, if you are a person with any semblance of proper morality. His decision to consult with his father screams of his desire to cover up his actions. Why else would you wait? What other reason could there possibly be? I think he had to have realized the shame this would cause, and didn't want to involve himself immediately for fear of his career. And while I'm certainly just speculating and don't know enough details to be fully convicted in this idea, I just can't wrap my head around another plausible scenario.

For Paterno I'm less inclined to believe his actions were selfish to the point of evil, but it's certainly possible. Hearing him talk, he sounds senile and demented, but who knows. What we do have on the table is the grand jury testimony the McQueary reported everything in detail; if that is true then Joe too is most definitely guilty of covering this up for his fame. Not to mention, Sandusky gets arrested right after Joe breaks the record? Obvious much?
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-11, 21:07   Link #3354
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:

However, I disagree with this in large part. The Board of Trustees has acted extremely inappropriately this week. There was absolutely no need to fire him after he decided that he would step down following the season. I understand where you're coming from regarding the need to take back control, but they haven't actually done that. The BoT (and the school, as a whole) have showed incredible ineptitude in terms of crisis management. We have a god of crisis management on faculty here and he was interviewed for some articles this week. If you boil down what he was saying in each article, it basically comes out to, "What the FUCK are they doing? How stupid can this administration possibly be?"

Joe is not the issue in this case. As I said above, are there moral questions? Absolutely. But, legally, Joe did nothing wrong by PA law.
You're missing the point here. Joe Paterno shouldn't have said that statement about him stepping down after the season was over...as if he still had the power to decide his own fate. Making that decision was ridiculous. Could you imagine Paterno and the team continuing the season and getting booed at every road game and the countless backlash the school would further receive for keeping someone employed that knew about the raping of little children that had been going for nearly a decade, but decided not to do be proactive about it? Or imagine being the parent of a victim or a victim yourself and you see Paterno that had known that a child sex offender was lurking on campus all these years, but is still allowed to coach. Fulfilling the legal obligation isn't enough. And if I heard correctly Paterno just hired a defense attorney. He knew about something terrible that was going down and was nonchalant about it. Maybe since he's an older man he comes for a different generation where sex crimes weren't that big of a deal now and were kind of just thought of as "oh knock it off" or maybe he was also trying to protect the program and keep this in house and hush hush. The fact of the matter is he and his GA knew something as they both testified what they had known. Paterno admitted that in hindsight he should have done more. Just because you are protected legally from getting charges thrown at you doesn't mean your job security should be safe. This is the biggest scandal in American collegiate sports history. Anyone that had knowledge of what was going on needs to be booted. And they certainly shouldn't have the leverage of deciding their own fate. Imagine the president that was just fired saying "Oh I'll just stay another month as president then I'll resign". Yeah I'm sure that would fly well.

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。

Last edited by Samari; 2011-11-11 at 21:18.
Old 2011-11-11, 21:11   Link #3355
Samari
World's Greatest

I also find it funny that the students are defending Paterno, but want to axe McQueary when they are really both in the same boat. But due to Paterno being an icon and his tenure at the university, he gets a pass. It's absurd how we put certain people on a pedestal just because they either have a football legacy or they are famous, or whatever. It's practically cult-ish.

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Old 2011-11-12, 00:26   Link #3356
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Quote:

There is not enough rage to be expressed by my face...
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-12, 01:50   Link #3357
solomon

As far as Paterno saying when he will go....

that along with the coverup just goes to show how much of an unwieldly behemoth college football has become.

Also I agree about the student/alumni just giving Paterno a pass. Mind you I am not a Keystone Stater, let alone related to PSU.

However, if this happened at ioono, Illinois and Ron Zook was in JoePa's shoes, people (including students) would be lining up to stone the guy.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-12, 17:20   Link #3358
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:

i read in one the espn articles that mcqueary qualify for whistle blower protection. the school is probably having its lawyer go through the law with fine tooth comb before they fire him.
Old 2011-11-13, 16:34   Link #3359
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

I know my cousin is raging right now, he's a huge Bills fan
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 17:07   Link #3360
FDW
Zettai Ryouiki Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. DJ View Post
I know my cousin is raging right now, he's a huge Bills fan
How was the Supercrack and Transsexual bondage down there?

EDIT: The Niners just recovered an onside kick, fuck yeah.
FDW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
american football, sports