AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2015-09-29, 22:32   Link #1081
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Yeah, the problem with Soundscan is storefront sales.
There's also Oricon's problem arising for September 25 and 26 only, so it's impossible to just add them up.

Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-29, 22:50   Link #1082
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Regardless of how these data are collected, the production committees obviously know how many discs they sold. They are going to base future decisions on those figures, not survey data from a third party.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-29, 22:56   Link #1083
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

It would be nice if we know what those production committees know.
That way, we'd be able to determine which series can get adaptations, which series can get sequels, and which series and sequels are a hopeless wish for anyone.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2015-09-29, 23:06   Link #1084
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Frankly, though it's interesting to look at the data, all those decisions are out of our hands. Also I doubt that differences in measurement are sufficiently large to affect conclusions about which shows are likely to be renewed and which are not. For one thing, those decisions may reflect sales of the adapted material and associated merchandise as much as sales of the DVDs and BDs themselves. Chihayafuru had atrociously low disc sales for season one, but it got renewed anyway. Why? Perhaps because when the anime aired, manga sales quadrupled to just under 200,000 copies, and the manga finished the year ranked in the top twenty.
Old 2015-09-29, 23:22   Link #1085
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Yeah, the problem with Soundscan is storefront sales.
There's also Oricon's problem arising for September 25 and 26 only, so it's impossible to just add them up.

Uh, that's what I meant by magic combining since they have stores that overlap and thus you can't just add them.

Also, bd sales don't mean much for series. Look at madhouse. Ngnl, mahouka, and overlord likely won't get them despite all selling amazingly.

No accel world or horizon either
No index
Etc etc
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-30, 00:54   Link #1086
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Also, bd sales don't mean much for series. Look at madhouse. Ngnl, mahouka, and overlord likely won't get them despite all selling amazingly.
We all know that Madhouse is notorious for not giving its bestsellers a chance for more seasons. I'm sure that even those who loved Overlord dreaded how the anime landed on the hands of Madhouse.

Accel World and Horizon are both shelved because Love Live can give Sunrise Studio 8 the money they want at a lower degree of effort. Even as a fan of Horizon, I understand why they don't want to adapt more of the series.

As for Index, if you consider Railgun to be part of Index, then that makes four seasons composed of sixteen cours of content out of a franchise. The last time J.C.Staff did such a thing was with Zero no Tsukaima, and very few anime series got that kind of "privilege". I won't blame them if they decide to shelve Index and Railgun in favor of fresher franchises like Kamachi's other works, even if the anime averaged 10-20k in sales.

Old 2015-09-30, 02:07   Link #1087
IceHism

Quote:
We all know that Madhouse is notorious for not giving its bestsellers a chance for more seasons. I'm sure that even those who loved Overlord dreaded how the anime landed on the hands of Madhouse.

Accel World and Horizon are both shelved because Love Live can give Sunrise Studio 8 the money they want at a lower degree of effort. Even as a fan of Horizon, I understand why they don't want to adapt more of the series.

As for Index, if you consider Railgun to be part of Index, then that makes four seasons composed of sixteen cours of content out of a franchise. The last time J.C.Staff did such a thing was with Zero no Tsukaima, and very few anime series got that kind of "privilege". I won't blame them if they decide to shelve Index and Railgun in favor of fresher franchises like Kamachi's other works, even if the anime averaged 10-20k in sales.
But there are many series that only end up selling 2k-4k and get a sequel as well too so... Shinmai maou for example
Gatchaman and Log Horizon also sold like shit but they got 2nd seasons.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-30, 02:38   Link #1088
Kakurin
大佐

With the speed Shinmai got a second season I suspect that it was planned as a split-cour in the first place.
Old 2015-09-30, 09:38   Link #1089
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
We all know that Madhouse is notorious for not giving its bestsellers a chance for more seasons
I've seen this argument elsewhere and still find it puzzling. Anime is produced by committee, and the studio is often just a hired gun. Decisions about whether to have another installment usually come from the publishers and merchandisers on the committee. I'd imagine most studios would prefer having sequels to get more work. Once again I'll point to Chihayafuru, a Madhouse work. As I said above, I think the decision about having a second season came more from Kodansha than Madhouse.
Old 2015-09-30, 10:13   Link #1090
Westlo
Lets be reality

They'll always be differences between soundscan and oricon With Japanese videogame sales they have two different trackers in Media Create and Famitsu and the differences happen all the time. To use something that ties into anime I'll use Idolmaster Cinderella Girls, last months volume since I only have Media Create figures for Vol 5 atm....

Media Create Sales: Week 35, 2015 (Aug 24 - Aug 30)

07./00. [PS3] TV Anime Idolm@ster: Cinderella Girls G4U! Pack Vol.4 <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.08.27} (¥10.778) - 15.496 / NEW

VS

Famitsu Sales: Week 35, 2015 (Aug 24 - Aug 30)

10./00. [PS3] TV Anime Idolm@ster: Cinderella Girls G4U! Pack Vol.4 <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.08.27} (¥10.778) - 12.172 / NEW <80-100%>

Than you add the normal Bluray and DVD sales...

Here are the weekly Blu-ray & DVD rankings for August 24th - 30th

Rank / This week's sales by copies / Cumulative sales / Titles

Blu-ray
*3. 12,724 12,724 The iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls Vol.4 Limited Edition

DVD
*3. 3,774 **3,774 The iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls Vol.4 Limited Edition

So going by Oricon & Mediacreate Vol 4 of CG sold 31,994 copies. Going by Oricon & Famitsu though it sold 28,670, a difference of 3324 copies. Now imagine you add soundscan figures to the mix if you could, would be an absolute clusterfuck. Oh and can you even buy idolmaster on ps3 digitally? If so Media Create and Famitsu don't track that either....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Frankly, though it's interesting to look at the data, all those decisions are out of our hands. Also I doubt that differences in measurement are sufficiently large to affect conclusions about which shows are likely to be renewed and which are not. For one thing, those decisions may reflect sales of the adapted material and associated merchandise as much as sales of the DVDs and BDs themselves. Chihayafuru had atrociously low disc sales for season one, but it got renewed anyway. Why? Perhaps because when the anime aired, manga sales quadrupled to just under 200,000 copies, and the manga finished the year ranked in the top twenty.
Well the difference in measurement won't affect the production companies at all, they'll know exactly how many discs were printed and sold in. (For example Macross Frontier Vol 1 had 100k discs printed and they probably sold them all in to retail and it's only listed as 65-70k sold on Oricon....) And I'm sure they'll know how well it sold to retail as well...

And too add to your example Nanatsu no Taizai sold pretty mediocre, around the 5k range but it's going to get another series next year even though they'll be pushing it with how many manga chapters are out.

But since it was the #1 manga for the first half of the fiscal year of 2015 it's getting a new anime.

Manga Sales by Series
*1. 7,059,400 Nanatsu no Taizai
*2. 7,046,066 One Piece
*3. 5,231,158 Ansatsu Kyoushitsu
*4. 5,047,725 Shingeki no Kyojin

Though it will only be 3rd @ best for 2015 since One Piece and SnK will overtake it 100%....
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-30, 12:28   Link #1091
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I've seen this argument elsewhere and still find it puzzling. Anime is produced by committee, and the studio is often just a hired gun. Decisions about whether to have another installment usually come from the publishers and merchandisers on the committee. I'd imagine most studios would prefer having sequels to get more work. Once again I'll point to Chihayafuru, a Madhouse work. As I said above, I think the decision about having a second season came more from Kodansha than Madhouse.
I'm not exactly knowledgeable, but I've always been under the impression that Kadokawa for example is rather tight when it comes to sequels, not the studios that have been hired to do the work.
Old 2015-10-01, 12:07   Link #1092
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
No accel world or horizon either
Producers more than willing to make AW-2 (and Horizon-3 too, most probably) but Sunrise Studio 8 gets even more profit from Love Live and it's not so easy to find the replacement studio for such high-budget animes.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-01, 20:05   Link #1093
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakurin-san View Post
I'm not exactly knowledgeable, but I've always been under the impression that Kadokawa for example is rather tight when it comes to sequels, not the studios that have been hired to do the work.
For contractors with little to no investment in a production, the agendas aren't actually too different.

A studio brings the most value to its clients by producing new hits for them, which keeps them in demand (meanwhile, if they coast on sequels and their competitors produce the new hits, who has the upper end when it's time to bid on the next round of work?). Consequently, there's an opportunity cost to taking on a sequel since the resources could be used in search of the next hit.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-20, 23:59   Link #1094
AP24

The LN sales are getting quite a boost from the anime:

Japan's Weekly Light Novel Rankings for Jan 11 - 17
14. *4,706 *43,411 Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut
19. *4,007 *37,142 Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut Vol.2

Weekly Light Novel Series
*2. 34,690 Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut

Bahamut might end up being LN-adapted anime of the season, but it's competing with KonoSuba for that.
AP24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-21, 00:33   Link #1095
Estzero1

Interesting. So, if they nail the other volumes right than Bahamut could profit even more.

What´s the answer to everything ?
Estzero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-21, 03:52   Link #1096
RDNexus

But if they don't and sales keep like that, it'll only feed the producers' ego to keep doing things that way...
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-13, 08:34   Link #1097
Gabrielg395

Hi, I'm new to the Forum is a pleasure. Well I wanted to ask if you know of any news of how sales of the Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry volumes of the novel and the blu-ray; time not updated this topic in the Forum, thank you
PS: My native language is not English, disculpem any error

Last edited by LKK; 2016-02-13 at 14:47. Reason: added series' name
Gabrielg395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-14, 09:57   Link #1098
Archaeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrielg395 View Post
Hi, I'm new to the Forum is a pleasure. Well I wanted to ask if you know of any news of how sales of the Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry volumes of the novel and the blu-ray; time not updated this topic in the Forum, thank you
PS: My native language is not English, disculpem any error
For the anime, combination of both bluray and dvd have 3.5k average sales per volume. You can check the link below not just for Rakudai sales but also for also for all other anime sales as well.

http://www.someanithing.com/series-data-quick-view

Rakudai novel is the sold at 226010 last year. It is the 29 best selling light novel in 2015.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...es-2015/.95914
Archaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-02, 06:06   Link #1099
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Wanted to ask whether the stats I've been looking at for the Jan 2016 season are accurate.

This has been one of my fave seasons ever, but the pre-order numbers look very low. From what I saw, only the latest Monogatari installment had decent numbers and the rest were hovering around 2k?

Edit: Seems to still be the case for most titles, but Konosuba has definitely picked up and seems way ahead of the rest of the season.

Last edited by Last Sinner; 2016-03-11 at 12:41.
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-12, 10:17   Link #1100
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

A year later and the first reports for 2017 suggest hardly anyone is buying discs any more. Even selling 1,000 copies seems like a bar too high for most series to meet. Uta no Prince Sama is the striking exception, but most series on that list like Flip Flappers (839 copies on average), Classicaloid (235), or Trickster (200) can hardly even be breaking even. It makes me wonder how much longer original series like Flip Flappers, which have no other obvious sources of revenue other than disc sales and licensing fees, will continue to be made.

Tags
sales, statistics