AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-04-29, 18:06   Link #1
Chichi

My Anime List - Basing Off...

I'm not sure whether there was much of a point behind posting a topic as I usually have little trouble choosing an Anime title, nor do I have much time these days like I use to.

Nonetheless I'm thinking about looking into something new, preferably a classic of sorts, or a must see that for some strange reason I have missed.

I can watch Japanese only, so it doesn't matter if the titles are not English translatable, but I'm under the impression that anything remotely suggestible here would have an English fan-sub, which I prefer.

I have generated my own Anime list for you to observe my tastes. It can viewed via my signature.

Thank you for any of the suggestions. I'll try my best to answer any of your queries.

Last edited by Chichi; 2007-08-09 at 13:15.
Old 2006-04-29, 18:33   Link #2
jedinat

I don't see Juuni Kokuki on there. You have to watch that.

What else...
Rurouni Kenshin & Rurouni Kenshin - Tsuiokuhen
Onegai Teacher (waay better than twins)
Ichigo Mashimaro
Hellsing and/or Hellsing Ultimate
Seikai no Monshou (and sequels)
Mushishi

There's just a few
Old 2006-04-29, 18:50   Link #3
Chichi

Sounds awesome. I'll definitely have a look into Junni Kokuki. Anyway, I'll edit this message when I get back from University. Bus isn't going to wait for me. - But yeah, certainly going to look into these...

Edit:

Right, I'm back home for the night so I've decided to review the suggestions in a little more detail.

- Junni Kokuki

This looks extremely promising. It's the type of title that I knew I should have seen way back but hey, better late than never?

- Rurouni Kenshin & Rurouni Kenshin - Tsuiokuhen

I'm always one for a tragic Samurai drama. Again, I wonder why I didn't see this before. I purposefully make it my duty to scout such titles of this calibre. I fail miserably it seems.

- Onegai Teacher

As I said previously before I edited my post. A friend of mine gave me the sequel (Twins) and even then I was fully aware of the prequel (Teacher). I think she even said that I should watch Onegai Teacher before this one as it is much better. I didn't. I think I was planning to at the time, but this was a long time ago. I'll have more reason to do so now.

- Ichigo Mashimaro

Now, from looking at the description on Anidb, this looks like the type of show I should watch with Rika, Yuto and Miki. They rarely watch Anime but I know what makes them tick. - It looks really good though, I'm a sucker for cute character designs. The premise even describes it as being 'cute', so cool.

- Hellsing - Ultimate

I have actually seen Hellsing and the Ultimate. I'm not sure why I didn't add it to my list. It can be said that I've seen many more titles than what you see on there. I'm in the possession of the ones shown on the list, any others have been lost, forgotten, etc.

- Seikai no Monshou

I'm not entirely sure about the character designs but anything by Sunrise is worth a watch. It also has many of the key genre elements that I like and the story seems moderately interesting, so yes, thank you, will buy this.

- Mushishi

This is something I had considered watching but at the time I had so many titles on the line that it didn't hold enough strength of interest for me to actively pursue it. I probably will come around eventually to seeing this but not anytime soon. There's something about it, it's just not giving off any vibes, even now, after recommendation. Call it distinctive ignorance or something.

Last edited by Chichi; 2006-04-30 at 02:14.
Old 2006-04-30, 00:09   Link #4
nixie
Nyunga Ro Chaga

Is it me or is there no Full Metal Alchemist there? :O If so, how could you miss this modern classic?! XD

FLCL - you can't miss this please. It's hillarious!

.hack//Sign - a popular love-it-or-hate-it title. One of those series with the BEST music.

Tokyo Godfathers, Perfect Blue - Kon Satoshi's awesome movies (Former's a comedy, latter's a weird psycho show lol)

Steamboy - To quote: Steamboy is the most expensive animated film in Japanese history with a budget of some 2.4 billion yen (roughly $20 million). Enough reason?

Cardcaptor Sakura - well, it's possibly the best mahou shoujo series ever. Does it count as a classic then?

Genshiken - a comedy/drama about otakus.

Azumanga Daioh - Everyone knows Azumanga!
Old 2006-04-30, 02:26   Link #5
Chichi

- Full Metal Alchemist

Haha, yes, how could I? Good thing I didn't fail in my scouting duties this time around. Strangely I didn't add this to my list, but I have 'seen' this, but while it was shown on television. I didn't manage to finish it and I usually skipped episodes. It was purely based on whether I saw it on TV. I think I should give this title the worthy justice it deserves and re-watch it completely.

- .hack//Sign

I had heard about this but my girlfriend's brother said it was crap... - for the better senses of the word. It's funny that you said it was a love/hate type of title, as he was definitely on one side of the preference. I'll have a look into this though, although from the amount of great titles suggested I'll probably come around to this later.

- Tokyo Godfathers

Kon Satoshi is known for Perfect Blue, or at least to my knowledge, I tend to refer him to that title. I have seen Perfect Blue (another I didn't add to my list), but I haven't seen Tokyo Godfathers. Thanks.

- Steamboy

Expensive? I spend a couple of billion yen casually down the local high-street on the weekends. (Damn bitch!).

And yeah, good reason.

- Genshiken

I'm not so sure about this one, I have to admit. It's probably really funny but the whole otaku thing is a little, urm, yeah.

- Azumanga Daioh

I actually saw this back in the UK ages ago, like when it was airing. I did like it then. My Mother subscribed to Japanese channels around that time as well. She use to get her friends to ship Japanese TV on recorded tapes... I mean, wow?

Edit:

- Cardcaptors Sakura

The first title I ever saw with my sister on television. It was also the first one I saw without the aid of English subtitles. In addition, it was also the first title I saw as a series, excluding movies.

- FLCL

Why do I keep overlooking things? This looks incredibly funny, as you said. I might watch this first actually since it seems to be my type of show. Thanks.

Last edited by Chichi; 2006-04-30 at 04:32.
Old 2006-04-30, 02:47   Link #6
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichi
- Rurouni Kenshin & Rurouni Kenshin - Tsuiokuhen

I'm always one for a tragic Samurai drama. Again, I wonder why I didn't see this before. I purposefully make it my duty to scout such titles of this calibre. I fail miserably it seems.
Keep in mind the TV series is more shounen action and comedy (there's drama also, of course), while the OVA is very dark and tragic. The OVA actually takes place 10 years before the TV series, but it doesn't really matter which you watch first as there are benefits either way. There's also another OVA, but I will not watch a show where Kenshin dies. (I've also heard it's not very good, and you're better off pretending it doesn't exist)

Oh, and the manga is very good also... better in some ways than the TV series.

Last edited by jedinat; 2006-04-30 at 03:01.
Old 2006-04-30, 04:26   Link #7
Chichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat
Keep in mind the TV series is more shounen action and comedy (there's drama also, of course), while the OVA is very dark and tragic. The OVA actually takes place 10 years before the TV series, but it doesn't really matter which you watch first as there are benefits either way. There's also another OVA, but I will not watch a show where Kenshin dies. (I've also heard it's not very good, and you're better off pretending it doesn't exist)

Oh, and the manga is very good also... better in some ways than the TV series.
Right, well, I don't mind the occasional shounen once and a while but I'm inclined to prefer the OVA probably. In any case I'll watch the series first.

I've never been much into reading Mangas, the whole holding a comic book thing really isn't me. Ironically I did attempt to create my own at one point.

Thanks for the help.
Old 2006-04-30, 11:46   Link #8
miaka

Saiunkoku monogatari - currently ongoing ( BS2)
Nishi no Yoki Majo- Astraea Testament ( Good witch of the west)- currently ongoing also.
xxxholic - its Clamp title and the character here is responsible for tsubasa chronicle's time travel.
Kino no Tabi - its adventure and will let you think think and think....
X-tv- its also a clamp work... lots of characters in tsubasa chronicle are from here. X-movie is very dark so i'll just recomend the tv series instead.
cluster edge- action... I am impress with the God-liness of the main character. Lots of fillers in the middle but the end is really interesting... boy drama. Surprise to know that it has been labelled as shounen-ai but i've seen the entire series and theres no love interest relationship going on.
Kyou Kara Maou - action comedy adventure...
Kimagure Orange road - its a classic romance
Old 2006-04-30, 18:15   Link #9
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaka
cluster edge- action... I am impress with the God-liness of the main character. Lots of fillers in the middle but the end is really interesting... boy drama. Surprise to know that it has been labelled as shounen-ai but i've seen the entire series and theres no love interest relationship going on.
Kyou Kara Maou - action comedy adventure...
Too many guys/not enough girls in those anime to hold a guy's interest imho.
Closed Thread