AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-13, 09:28   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 550 (manga)

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Ha ha, well what do you know, a spoiler as soon as the break's over! Summary:

-The ministory now focuses on Usopp (can't wait to check this out, myself! ).

-It's the time of Ace's execution. All the admirals are present, even Akainu. As for Luffy's group, they're still stranded outside the Gate of Justice.

-We learn from Sengoku that Ace's father is Gold Roger (so it's confirmed that he and Luffy may not be blood relatives after all.....). His mother's name is Portgas D. Rouge. It seems that she died after giving a delayed birth to him, and Roger asked Garp to take care of him. The rest of the marines are surprised when they hear this information. Sengoku says that he wants to execute Ace as quickly as possible, even though Luffy's group hasn't been captured yet......

Well now, Oda certainly came out of his break with a bang, huh? For some reason, the identity of Ace's father doesn't surprise me as much as I thought.... honestly, I was just more shocked to see the pic of Akainu (he most definitely looks badass, too ). It's also great to finally get the name of Ace's mom. I suppose we'll see her in the inevitable flashback that's certain to pop up in this storyline. Well, it shouldn't be long before Whitebeard now, either......

Oh, and pics:

Spoiler:

And now to wait for the more detailed summary.....

Last edited by marvelB; 2009-07-13 at 14:21.
Old 2009-07-13, 09:46   Link #2
marvelB

^The impression I had is that Garp hid the fact that Roger was his father. Heh, it's kinda funny that no matter which way you look at it, Ace STILL had a legendary criminal as a father.

Anyway, now I'm really interested in learning about Rouge. So we now have our first female D, eh? And she somehow gave birth to Ace 2 years after Roger's death? Geez, no wonder she died as soon as he was born. So I guess this means that Dadan was that friend of Garp's who took care of Luffy and Ace after all (and MIGHT be Luffy's mother, but I dunno). Well, the info should become clearer when the full summary/chapter comes out.....

Edit: There's a little more info:

-Usopp's ministory involves him partying with that Hercules dude.

-Marine HQ is at a crescent-shaped island. It would seem that the Shichibukai are guarding the frontlines. There's 100,000 marines gathered at Marineford, with the admirals sitting atop Ace's execution platform......

-About Whitebeard, it seems that some more scout ships were sent out to watch him, but they've disappeared. Meanwhile, Ace's exectution is actually being televised.

-Portgas D. Rouge is shown, but it's only her silhouette.

Wow, so there are TVs in the OP world, huh? I guess that's operated by the denden mushi snails too, then. By the way, it's also mentioned that Akainu doesn't talk in this chapter, despite his face being revealed. And 100,000 marines? That's 10 times the number of marines that were guarding Enies Lobby. Heh, I can't wait to see the return of those obscure VAs like John Giant and Comil (I STILL think that the latter may want to secretly help Ace. I'm crossing my fingers)......

Last edited by marvelB; 2009-07-13 at 10:26.
Old 2009-07-13, 10:25   Link #3
Rahan

The excuses for Ace being Roger's Son are pretty pathetic ...

The whole crew disbanded safely, yet Rouge had to keep her baby inside her belly for years (Ace is 20, Roger died 22 years ago, do the maths) because otherwise it would be dangerous for Ace ?
But she didn't bother to change her name, so the government would still be able to tell Ace is her son (hence Roger's son) just by hearing his name ?
Old 2009-07-13, 10:37   Link #4
marvelB

Yeah, about Ace's birth...... as I saw someone point out at AP, Rouge probably didn't carry Ace for a full two years. For all we know, she could have carried him for for one and a half years or something instead. Either way, I still imagine that carrying a baby for over one year would be a quite a burden.....
Old 2009-07-13, 12:03   Link #5
kari-no-sugata

I'm rather curious as to why Oda's bringing this up now. Obviously it would be rather uninteresting if we found out after Ace was executed. It would be one thing if this was known some time ago, but by bringing it up now it gives me the sense that it increases the chance Ace will survive. More precisely, I feel that Ace might survive and have a big change in attitude to what he wants to do - for example, he may decide to aim to become Pirate King himself, even if it means clashing directly with Luffy.

PS Didn't Garp want both Ace and Luffy to become Marines? If he'd succeeded that would have meant both Roger's son and Dragon's son would have become Marines... heh.
Old 2009-07-13, 12:12   Link #6
SMASHERJACKSON

gold roger = dragon
Old 2009-07-13, 12:29   Link #7
shankss
CP10

Finally Akainu full pose! Looks damn badass! Seeing him like that was much more exciting than learning about Ace D Roger.

Also Heracles you better not disappoint me and start teaching that kid something useful rather than partying -_-
Old 2009-07-13, 12:35   Link #8
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

that is mad. i really do hope that Ace survives.
Old 2009-07-13, 12:42   Link #9
james0246

While I find it interesting that Ace has turned out to be Roger's son, I can't help but wonder why he as to be related to Roger. Specifically, why did Oda decided to cut Ace's and Luffy's firm familial tie? Could this be an indicator that Ace could die...?

Also, Akainu (his jaw at least) looks a bit like Charles Bronson .
Old 2009-07-13, 13:05   Link #10
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata View Post
PS Didn't Garp want both Ace and Luffy to become Marines? If he'd succeeded that would have meant both Roger's son and Dragon's son would have become Marines... heh.

Personally, I find it rather amusing that despite the fact that Ace isn't related to Luffy and Garp by blood (at least not directly anyway), he still has their traits. I can only assume that narcolepsy and a voracious appetite are traits that are shared by all those who inherit the "will of D". So I guess this means that Rouge was an avid sleeper and glutton, too.

By the way, some more pics appeared. Some of the various other marines shown at the execution ground was Coby, Helmeppo and Hina. Interestingly enough, there also seemed to be a rather large female marine present, as well (wonder if she came from Amazon Lily? ). Apparently, in one of the pics Ace shouts out that Whitebeard is his only father, and Sengoku responds that old man Newgate probably has his own biological children. I really don't know what to make of that right now..... I think I'll wait until the full chapter comes out before I share my views on that line.

Anyways, now that Akainu's finally (re)appeared, I'm actually going to go out on a limb and say I hope that he's a Zoan (an Ancient Zoan to be more specific). I know the chances of that happening are slim (seeing as Aokiji and Kizaru are both Logias), but as I said in the Zoan thread, it would still be great to see an uber-powerful Zoan that's in the same "god-tier" category as Logias.....

Last edited by marvelB; 2009-07-13 at 13:21.
Old 2009-07-13, 13:23   Link #11
shankss
CP10

I'll stick with Blood.I really want to see a marvel's Carnage like entity in One Piece.Besides its %80 logia so..A blood df sounds violent and scary as much as his nature and fits the most.
Old 2009-07-13, 13:44   Link #12
james0246

^Garp was something like Roger's rival (along with Whitebeard), so Roger definetly knew how the man acted and reacted. So, Roger choose him because he knew that he could trust Garp to help his son.
Old 2009-07-13, 13:52   Link #13
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankss View Post
I'll stick with Blood.I really want to see a marvel's Carnage like entity in One Piece.Besides its %80 logia so..A blood df sounds violent and scary as much as his nature and fits the most.

A blood fruit was my original guess for Akainu's power, and is actually still my back-up guess since he most likely WON'T be a Zoan, anyway. Either way, it still would be cool to see that not all of the admirals are Logias. Heck, guys like Kuma and Magellan already prove how broken Paramecias can be, so my man Sakazuki can just as easily follow the trend......

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
Well, he could still be a relative... like I mentioned: Roger could have been Dragon's brother (=Garp's first son) or maybe even a brother of Garp. Just because Oda decided that Ace isn't Dragon's son, it doesn't mean that he is totally unrelated. There especially has to be a reason why Roger choose Garp.

Note that I said that Ace probably isn't directly related to Luffy and Garp. He could still be something of a distant relative, since they all carry the name of "D". All of the D's that appeared so far had some common trait (insane strength, huge appetite, narcolepsy, etc.), so Ace wouldn't really be a complete "outsider", so to speak. Of course, we'll have to wait until the full chapter comes out before things become clearer, but I believe that to be the case....
Old 2009-07-13, 15:21   Link #14
Prestige

Nice spoilers.

I really didn't expect that Ace is actually Gol D Rogers son so that came total suprise for me.
Akainu's face finally revealed and he really looks like pissed off guy with little tolerance, he should be really bastard guy with absolute justice.

According by latest spoilers there are over 100 000 marines and highest top officers from Fleet admiral to top captains are gathered in there.
Marineford itself is crescent shaped opening towards sea and its FILLED with powerful and exceptional marines and officers.
Sengoku, Akainu, Aokiji and Kizaru are all sitting on high at execution platform watching and observing over marine force consisting over 100 thousand.

Enies Lobbys had 3000-5000 marines and most of them were but a typical soldiers... Marinefords is entirely diffrent scale in everything...

Fleet admiral, 3 admirals, vice admirals and 100 000 marines... I love Luffy and his party has awesome guys but damn... if he even tryes to get near of force of that magnitude he wont last more than second if he is lucky....

We really need Whitebeard and/or Revolutionaries armies or this will turn out very very ugly...
Old 2009-07-13, 15:25   Link #15
AddiKtioNn-BlaCk
Is Your Daddy & Its True

Wow (my mouth kind of dropped when I read that part. That was completely unexpected)..
Ace is the Son of the Pirate King....
It would make sense for him to die kind of...
That would mean that both of their deaths brought forth new Era's...
And this war between Whitebeard and The World Government is definitely going to usher in a new Era.

[On another note: I wonder if Rayleigh knew of this. I would love to see him come busting in there to save Ace]

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
This is strange...
If Ace's father was Gold Roger, then why did he ask Garp out of all people to take care of him? And what was about the discussion in Ace's cell, when Garp made it look like they had the same father? Is it possible that Gold Roger and Dragon are brothers, so that Ace and Luffy really are cousins?

Garp and Roger could've had a relationship similar to Coby and Luffy...
Who knows.
Old 2009-07-13, 17:44   Link #16
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic

I think these spoilers will take me while to wrap my mind around.

I keep thinking that Whitebeard will die, though. When something this significant is revealed, something crucial must change.

They've just revealed that Ace is Roger's son, so now Ace is like a Prince of sorts, in Pirate lore. Whitebeard is the limiting factor. Ace won't willingly step out from under his wing. So for Ace to fill in the character he's been set up to portray, I think Whitebeard has to go.

Ace is, without a doubt, going to live. I say this with confidence enough to bet my life on it. and he's going to be probably one of the most influential characters throughout the storyline from now on. I dare say that he'll step up as Luffy's main challenger for the Position of Pirate King.

I'm waiting at the edge of my seat to see whther or not he gets a whole fleet of ships like whitebeard. In any case, the very fact that he will most likely captain his own vessel now will be satisfying enough.

This, although regrettable, also presents the possibility, however faint, that Ace and Luffy will eventually have to fight. And seriously. I honestly think that Ace and Luffy will emerge as the new Top Dogs on the Grand Line.

From what I see: Ace will take over Whitebeard's Yonkou position, and Luffy, upon entering the New World, will defeat one of the Yonkou, and take up his role.

This is...epic.

First they went for communists: and I didn't speak out, not being a communist;
Then they came for trade unionists, and I said naught because I wasn't a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews: and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew;

Then they came for me!
...and there was no one left to speak out for me.
Old 2009-07-13, 18:31   Link #17
james0246

^Or, the complete opposite is possible, and now that Oda has erased the familial ties between Ace and Luffy, Oda can now have Luffy experience the tragedy of losing a nakama by having Ace die.
Old 2009-07-13, 18:45   Link #18
andy

Either way lets wait for the chapter . Damn i already want to see what going to happen next week .
Old 2009-07-13, 19:16   Link #19
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^Or, the complete opposite is possible, and now that Oda has erased the familial ties between Ace and Luffy, Oda can now have Luffy experience the tragedy of losing a nakama by having Ace die.

I dunno.... considering the string of losses that Luffy's had lately (being seperated from his crew, nearly dying from Magellan's poison, and losing Bon Clay), I'd think that Ace's death would kinda be overkill. However, I'm unsure about Ace deciding to take up the mantle and continue his father's legacy as Pirate King. I mean, it's definitely possible, but he doesn't really seem to be interested in such a grand status. It was already implied from his brief flashback in chapter 549 that he simply wanted to live freely. If he becomes king and sits at the top of the world, then he'll have several of the silver medalists clawing at him from the bottom. That doesn't sound like "freedom" to me at all.......

Oh, and I nearly forgot to mention that I lthink it's pretty neat that Akainu is still wearing his cap from the Ohara flashback, heh. I also wonder where Sengoku's goat is? I always did like that little fella.....

Oh yeah, nearly forgot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by holypanl View Post
I'm waiting at the edge of my seat to see whther or not he gets a whole fleet of ships like whitebeard. In any case, the very fact that he will most likely captain his own vessel now will be satisfying enough.

You know, this actually brings back to mind something I mentioned in a past thread about Ace being the one to take over Whitebeard's crew after the mighty emporer bites the dust. I guess this new twist DOES increase the chances of that happening......
Old 2009-07-13, 19:52   Link #20
AddiKtioNn-BlaCk
Is Your Daddy & Its True

Quote:

[On another note: I wonder if Rayleigh knew of this. I would love to see him come busting in there to save Ace]
Some more things crossed my mind...
It seems as though Buggy doesn't know who Ace really is...
But I think Shanks does, which is why he saw it fit to deal with the matter personally when he sat down and talked with Whitebeard...
That being said, I think Buggy might've left the crew before Shanks....
Also, this could be what Kuma told Rayleigh during the fight with Kizaru...

I just read the last page of Chapter 549 and i think its fair to say that the person who truly influenced Luffy's way of thinking is Ace.

How funny is it that Ace considers Whitebeard to be his father, who is his REAL father's rival... I wonder if Whitebeard knows.

Its also funny how Oda tricked us... this whole time we were thinking he was talking about Dragon in Chapter 525, the whole time he was talking about Roger..
Oda did good planning this out... it completely through me off...
When Garp told Luffy about his father... I thought it was weird he didn't mention Ace..
Closed Thread