AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2009-09-10, 09:47   Link #1
Falkor

Akagami no Shirayuki Hime

manga by AKIZUKI Sorata and serialized in Lala DX. on-going with 11 chapters so far scanlated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-U
Shirayuki was a young girl born with unique apple-red hair. She meets a famous but foolish Prince Raji, who falls in love with her at first sight and orders her to become his concubine. With nowhere else to go, Shirayuki cuts her hair and escapes to a neighboring country. While traversing through the forests, she meets a young boy, Zen, who helps her after she boldly cures his wounds but then gets poisoned by an apple given to Shirayuki. Meanwhile, Prince Raji sends out henchmen to search for her. What will happen to Shirayuki? What is Zen’s true character? A refreshing fantasy story between an optimistic heroine and a prince who constantly stays on her watch.
Link

The main character is a very strong, determined and intelligent female. She is probably the only character I've ever thought of being strong. not only does she take very bold decisions, but she also shows a lot of valor and courage in doing so. Shirayuki is nonetheless a very sincere, honest, and optimistic girl---and all these traits add a lot to her charm.

As far as the story goes, I have to say that is very unique. it has a bit of fantasy and Slice-of-Life---and it's something you don't see very often. The artwork is pretty good too, and I love it (especially in the latest chapters). **copy/pasted from one of my posts**

a few comments:

I like Shirayuki a lot, and her short-red-hair is very charming, too. she never ceases to surprise me when a new chapter comes out.

There's something very unique about her character: she gives the impression of being a fragile girl, but she is all except fragile. her bold decisions, her courageous actions and the gentle and calm manner to face any kind of situation says a lot about her inner strength. she is very independent too, and rarely relies on someone else if she can solve the situation by herself. In all 11 chapters so far, I don't quite remember seeing her cry, either.
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-10, 19:56   Link #2
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

It's one of those rare, precious shoujo fantasy manga whereby the manga did everything right.

I treasure it. If it ever comes stateside, I'll be buying the whole set whatever the cost.

I've seen far too many shoujo series that purports the heroine to be an extraordinary individual only to quickly see her character degrades into a generic woobie of a shoujo lead; Shirayuki on the other hand is not presented in some overblown way but is attractive in a way that only truly intelligent and strong women can be.

Everything else is also good. Zen is convincingly likable, like so many other characters. The plot doesn't go for overblown political dramas yet does not seem mundane. And the romance, though slow and subtle, is sweet.

By the way,
Spoiler for Shirayuki's "tears":
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-10, 21:00   Link #3
Foreshadow
Nyaa~

One of my Absolute Favorites. I love this story. Zen and Shirayuki's relationship is a slow moving nicely paced one. I love the pace especially it's perfect. While the Protagonists are neither overbearing or lack a backbone.
To sum it up in 3 words: It's Just Cute

A great read. I would recommend it to anybody that loves reading Shoujo. Very Refreshing.
Foreshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-30, 00:32   Link #4
Falkor

chapters 12-13

there's something that makes me feel very annoyed whenever I see a character who only cares about his status-quo. and said character did everything just "right" for me to hate him so much.

this chapter introduced a new character, a female. I like her character design... oh her black hair... makes me wonder if she is going to appear later on--- there's something just so interesting about her.

I wonder why it no longer surprises me to see Shirayuki stealing the chapter again. I sort of got the feeling of what was about to happen, but she still surprised me.

liked this arc and how it eventually unfolded, the settings and the bird---it's a very simple idea, but also a very interesting one. oh, and the way it ended... so sweeeet...

chapter 14

for a moment I really thought the manga was ending. so much happened in this chapter; the romance was finally moving forward. we got some important development between zen and shirayuki. and besides the sweetness and innocence of it, the final part was such a strong and moving scene. I really loved it, my favorite so far.

it's strange to see shirayuki cry, to see her running away from zen. I think it's the first time we have come across a fragile, shy and confused shirayuki, unable to deal with the feelings that have recently surfaced; and yet, she tries to be the shirayuki we love, the sincere one, the one who is not afraid of facing her problems---and this time her feelings. it was really sweet how she decided to face zen and express her worries---and what she felt at the moment---in the most sincere and honest of ways. yep, that's shirayuki.

and zen can act so cool and determined sometimes, which is truly surprising. :P
Spoiler for space:

it says so much and yet so little...

chapters 15-16

if felt so strange to have a chapter that didn't have shirayuki in it... though it was still interesting, nonetheless.

a bit slow at the beginning, I should say, not much really happened in this flashback about Mitsuhide and Zen... but this childhood friendship, which at first I found strange and didn't think much of it, ended up being very touching and moving, especially towards the end when it involved another kid. not sure of how to describe it, exactly; but we've had similar moments in earlier chapters, most of them about Shirayuki by the way, and while this was definitely not about shirayuki, this had a similar feeling to it, or something like that. We got to know a bit more about Zen, about his character and his burden; we also got to know a bit more about Misuhide and the loyal relationship he shares with Zen. however, the most interesting aspect of it, I think, was how Izana did indeed care for his brother, strict and calm as always and without giving any hint of his involvement, but somehow kinder. my image of him will probably not change that much, but I started to see him in another light.

chapter 17

more shirayuki ... =)

obi is such a pervert. we all know he was staring at shirayuki's cute and fragile sleeping face before he finally decided to wake her up. can't think of any other reason to use the window instead of the door... :P

still as cute and sweet as always (talking about shirayuki and zen). but why do I get the feeling obi wants to steal her away? he is very bold, I should say... shirayuki should do something about it, but we all know she won't.

we have seen shirayuki blush a lot lately. at first, it was very surprising and cute---but now, cute enough to put a big smile on my face. there's a nice mood going on, romantic and innocent at the same time. I especially loved the last part, and I agree, it really suits her. oh... she is so cute...

the romance has started to move forward; we see a bit of it in this chapter. and yet, she still is the calm and optimistic shirayuki we have always known. there's something about this that I really like. it's not exactly a story about love and romance, but one that certainly involves romance in a subtle way, in order to develop the characters and make the story a medium to explore them. romance added a little something to shirayuki and zen and the relationship they both share.

hmmmm... why do I get the feeling something big and bad is about to happen?
Old 2010-01-31, 02:10   Link #5
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Guess its time I started getting back into this then. I remember at least over a year ago(maybe a 1.5 yrs) there where only 4 chaps and then sometime later, the special, and I thought that Shirayuki getting to be the pharmacist or whatever was the end of the story. This manga is one of those "commoner gets with prince" stories I tend to like a lot(Private Prince and Zettai Heiwa Daisuken comes to immediate mind). Good to hear its still a solid piece of work.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-31, 02:53   Link #6
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

I was gasping for breath by the time that *big moment* happened at the end of the bird contest arc. It was so incredibly sweet that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
This manga is one of those "commoner gets with prince" stories I tend to like a lot(Private Prince and Zettai Heiwa Daisuken comes to immediate mind). Good to hear its still a solid piece of work.
I actually got a bit sick of those. The princesses there act a whole lot like your usual generic shoujo lead girl, weak-minded and rather idiotic despite assertions to the contrary (Zettai[...], for example; "Holy Maiden" my behind).

This manga stands head and shoulders above the rest of them, IMO.
Old 2010-01-31, 03:36   Link #7
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iren View Post
I actually got a bit sick of those. The princesses there act a whole lot like your usual generic shoujo lead girl, weak-minded and rather idiotic despite assertions to the contrary (Zettai[...], for example; "Holy Maiden" my behind).

This manga stands head and shoulders above the rest of them, IMO.
Well that's good to hear that I wont waste my time. I can see how they get a bit annoying, as they don't really do anything particularly special with the chars nor the story. Still, I tend to like these kinds of stories once I get into them[at least for now ].
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 20:49   Link #8
Falkor

chapter 18

wow, I'm not sure of what to say but wow. that was probably the most interesting chapter so far, and only because we are starting to see something resembling a story. not like there wasn't any story until now, but it wasn't as important (or interesting) as the characters themselves or the development they have received, which reminds me of something I haven't quite noticed (or realized) before reading this chapter---and it is the little we know of our favorite heroine. I should look back just in case, but she hasn't really mentioned anything about family, friends, or her life in general. was she living alone? probably... but what kind of life did she have? it would be so interesting to see more of her past, of her childhood.

The chapter itself felt more like the setup of an arc, a very important one concerning Shirayuki. really loved the last five pages; it ends in such a nice cliffhanger that leaves you wanting for more. who is the mysterious character? what is the letter about? how is Shirayuki involved in all this? I get the feeling the mangaka wanted to tease us, especially now that she is taking a break. no more Shirayuki until June (?).

"a prince, his servant... and a princess!?"

I wonder if the princess is referring to Shirayuki...? probably not in a literal way...

edit: by the way the mangaka is currently working on another series (probably the reason why she took a little break).
Old 2010-04-11, 22:23   Link #9
KrimzonStriker

Someone made a thread for this awesome, awesome manga? Well alright then, know that you have my complete support and full endorsement while I go and catch up on the series
Old 2010-06-25, 23:22   Link #10
Falkor

chapter 19

not much to say. Shirayuki will remain enthusiastic/optimistic even if she's learning how to dance... really cute by the way. :P

the chapter went fast and not a whole lot of stuff happened, but the last three pages got my heart skipping a beat... ~oh so sweeeeet.

I do want to see what's going to happen next... the wait is going to be long.

before I forget, I'm currently reading Akizuki Sorata's other work: Seishun Kouryakuhon. Really loving the more romantic aspect of it... she sure knows how to make them really sweet to read. :P ~might be creating a new thread for it.
Old 2010-06-26, 04:36   Link #11
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Yay, more releases.

It's a bit of a quiet chapter but that's fine with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkor View Post
before I forget, I'm currently reading Akizuki Sorata's other work: Seishun Kouryakuhon. Really loving the more romantic aspect of it... she sure knows how to make them really sweet to read. :P ~might be creating a new thread for it.
Hmm, I remembered checking out the first chapter of that one and thought that the archery display on the school rooftop was the coolest thing ever.
Old 2010-08-21, 19:58   Link #12
Azuma234
Red-Haired Snow White Fan

Chapter 20 is out! great chapter as always
Old 2010-08-25, 00:36   Link #13
Falkor

chapter 20

Shirayuki funny expressions. :3
Shirayuki asking Zen for something to take with her. :3
Shirayuki even shorter hair style. :3
Shirayuki looking more formal, almost like a princess. :3

my favorite part has to be Shirayuki's conversation with Prince Raji, near the end of the chapter. I really loved the way she was so calm and confident while talking to him in the most sincere and honest of ways. She didn't shy away from the situation, instead, she was looking at the prince straight in the eye, doing so almost unconsciously, like inviting him to reply to her in the same nice and pleasant manner. Shirayuki was again trying to be the Shirayuki we have known after so many chapters, the girl who talks to you with words that come straight from her heart and go directly to yours.

Ever since the arc started, I have been getting this bad feeling/omen with each chapter that passes by. wonder if it's just me. it seems the next one is going to involve the mysterious boy in something more significant.
Old 2011-01-10, 15:14   Link #14
Falkor

chapter 21

chapter is a bit slow but the story continues to intrigue me. What are the mysterious boy's goals? who is his associate? why is Shirayuki so important to them?

Prince Raiji remains somewhat useless, but seeing Shirayuki try so hard really made my day.

it was nice to see the black hair girl again.

oh and the twins are very cute, too.

chapter 22

Shirayuki looks lovely in her dress.

it was nice to see Zen stand up to his brother and make his decision clear to him. it was about time, I guess.

but why do I get the feeling the manga might be ending soon? I can't wait for the next chapter, though.
Old 2011-01-11, 01:13   Link #15
lightbringer
M9000

One of my favorite shoujo manga. Or maybe one of the very few shoujo manga that is not completely derivative trash. The main girl is strong and there is no excessive drama.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 21:41   Link #16
Exether

This is one of the very few shoujo mangas I like. The interaction between Shirayuki and the rest of the court is interesting. I'd just like for it to be updated more often.
Old 2011-05-04, 19:34   Link #17
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

So after what I now consider far too long, I finally got round to checking this series out. Always wanted to after seeing this thread pop up now and again but never did.

I frankly can't believe I let this slip me by, it's such a good story.
Like I see posted already does remind me of other series but thing with this series is it takes some of them old cliches(some that I've come to consider a bit tedious over the years)and puts a nice spin and twist to them.
For instance the 1st prince(older brother), generally he would be a jerk and moody guy with generally bad motives but not quite so with the older brother here. He seems to genuinely a "good" person with good motives despite his outward attitude and round about ways I guess...so far at least(I'm only at chapter 14 so far)
I find this very very refreshing.

Shirayuki is great, she isn't entriely weak-minded and best of all she doesn't sudden lose that strength all of sudden when soemthing happens. She keeps with it but has her weak moments at times where it makes sense.
And I love how the author has played with the "heroine doing stuff by herself crap". She seems and very well is the type of person to go do things by herself but we really don't get that here(from what I read so far). She's willing to voice help to others which I gotta admit is hugely satisfying to see.

Like Irenicus said "This manga stands head and shoulders above the rest of them, IMO."

I really like the 3 aides and their interactions, they amuse quite alot.
Somehow I've come to throw down my Mistuhide X Kiki card on the table, I feel something there and I hope something happens!

Can't wait to read the rest!

Oh and the art is great, big, big, big plus points there.

EDIT: So I finally read the rest and caught up and wow!

First off, I almost died when I got to chapter 17(?), I believe thats when another group took up scanning, I saw a image of Mistuhide and Kiki dancing!
I thought "no way!" but it dawned on me soon enough that it was a a fan art...well I think so anyway. It so got my hopes up like you wouldn't believe>_<

For the current arc, I'm rather flabbergasted at a real kidnapping that (so far) doesn't seem to have any inside conspirators involved!
You would usually have someone on the inside and generally know who but wow, another plus point for this amazing series!

Now I'm sure some won't agree with me here but even I am on the fence about it all.
On the deal with Obi(-wan, love this guy, he is awesome!) having feelings for Shirayuki, I actually gotta admit I hope we don't see too much from it, altho I suspect we will and actually part of me wishes for it.
But then I don't think "love rivals" are always needed to spice things up or move a relationship along.
One way I would like to see it go would be he may develop rela feelings for Shirayuki but never actually voices, despite him being very honest. He knows Shirayuki and Zen love each other and him being a a friend and aide of Zen knows not to get in between, call it duty bound if you will.
I know people are all for if they love each other then he should say so, I'm like that as well but there are times I think it shouldn't be said. Like here with the master/servant relationship.
It would be a very realistic spin on it all.
Not to say I don't want good things for Obi cause lets face it he deserves them.
I also loved how he just normally hands Shirayuki a gift like it's nothing and then with the prince feeling mortified but concedes that it does suit her very well.
You just don't see that!

This soooooo needs a anime!!!(reason why I updated my list in the "Which manga should be made into an anime?"

You know I've always held Koukou Debut as my favorite shoujo but that might not be the case anymore.

Last edited by Bonta Kun; 2011-05-05 at 09:58.
Bonta Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-09, 08:04   Link #18
blewin

not only does it have a good slice-of-life feel but it's also mixed in a bit of action (but not too intense). The romance is also paced out very well. It's not exaggerated and we're actually seeing both main leads growing as they experience more and more together.

plus the art is just great. Love it!

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-24, 07:28   Link #19
Sol Falling

Apparently I still haven't posted in this thread. I've just caught up through chapters 24-25 now, and apparently the next (which will be coming soon) will mark the end of the Tauburn/kidnapping arc. Up until 23 I'd been feeling a lot of anxiety about the future of Zen x Shirayuki ('cause of all the hints with Obi and stuff) but I must admit all of the action and movement of 24-25 took most of that away and was quite satisfying. On the other hand, the conflict with the pirate group and it's lady leader feels like it may have been wrapped up a bit too cleanly, so I am hoping to see some good conflict in the next chapter.

Akagami no Shirayukihime has been a top series for me ever since I ran across it and is among my three favourite shoujos. This time I did happen to only have checked the scanlator due to being reminded of another prince/princess series they completed, previously mentioned in this thread, Zettai Heiwa Daisakusen. Although in the end a somewhat shorter/more compressed series than AnS, I greatly enjoyed the art and story of that manga as well. Although I still check out random shoujo series from time to time, this recent marathon through those series was really quite satisfying as being a step above the usual stuff I stumble across.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 11:04   Link #20
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Spoiler for c26:

Tags
comedy, fantasy, romance, shoujo