AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2006-05-05, 13:37   Link #61
arcticphoenix16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
"All of the members achievements are Haruhi's achievements, and all of Haruhi's achievements are Haruhi's achievements.
Dam, I can't argue with this. As much as i like Yuki, Haruhi is like... the ULTIMATE authority. All hail Haruhi!
arcticphoenix16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-07, 23:29   Link #62
velocity7

Just wondering, what novel volumes are considered "mainstream" in that they affect the plot seriously? For example, volume 1 is considered "mainstream" in that it forms the SOS Brigade and invites all the members.
Old 2006-05-07, 23:31   Link #63
PhantomX
Tsuruya's Lover

Send a message via AIM to PhantomX Send a message via MSN to PhantomX
2 and 3 are random story type, while 4 is more linear ... but I believe they all influence the plot and character development. I don't know past 4
PhantomX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-07, 23:59   Link #64
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

1,2,4,7 are 'single story' volumes while 3,5,6 are 'short story' volumes.
"Heavy" plotlines happen in 1,4,7 though very important plotlines happen in the short story volumes as well and they build a lot of the character development. 2 is a lighter plot.

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
melange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-08, 00:00   Link #65
PhantomX
Tsuruya's Lover

Send a message via AIM to PhantomX Send a message via MSN to PhantomX
Novel 2 is essentially the making of episode 00
PhantomX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-08, 00:43   Link #66
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

To add to that, the recently released volume 8 is also a short-story volume (well, 2 medium length short stories. Both are compiliations from The Sneaker's serializations. So there are no original stories written for this volume).

But I don't care, the SOS-dan member's novels were super fun to read. Especially that "Fantasy Horror" piece Yuki wrote. ^^

Maybe I'll add a review sometime. ^^;
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-08, 06:04   Link #67
velocity7

Sushi-Y: Given your pretty big interest here, would you want to help with the novel translation project? You'd be more than qualified, and there's a lot of discussion allowing more translators to work on a volume at a time under certain circumstances (e.g., short story novels vs. single story novels).
Old 2006-05-12, 07:05   Link #68
yamikage

Chapter 1 of the Suzumiya Haruhi manga is now available! Go get it at #Kawaru-Enishi@irc.irchighway.net
yamikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-12, 09:46   Link #69
NeoSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamikage
Chapter 1 of the Suzumiya Haruhi manga is now available! Go get it at #Kawaru-Enishi@irc.irchighway.net
Thanks

Thats really great a group fansubbing the anime, a group translating the novel, and now a group scanlating the manga
Old 2006-05-12, 10:50   Link #70
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity7
Sushi-Y: Given your pretty big interest here, would you want to help with the novel translation project? You'd be more than qualified, and there's a lot of discussion allowing more translators to work on a volume at a time under certain circumstances (e.g., short story novels vs. single story novels).

if you pull that off, i'll give you a red armband, mr deputy chief editor....
Old 2006-05-12, 11:19   Link #71
Psieye
Lore Hunter

Send a message via AIM to Psieye Send a message via MSN to Psieye
Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity7
I know that weeks back when people were speculating about translating the novels, Sushi-Y did say she wasn't so enthusiastic about translating novels compared to manga. She places emphasis on the difficulty of keeping the original author's Tone and Atmosphere consistent during the translation into English - which is no easy feat as we're finding on the Wiki project. Though with the "Editors and other Translators take care of synchronising tone/atmosphere" system we've got, who knows?

Incidentally Sushi-Y, how goes the translation of Reshuffle, the Shakugan no Shana short story you said (last month) you were translating?

Moe Culture Essays (my archive of my long posts); J Saimoe 2008 Wiki pages (minimialistic ASuki link library for now)
Psieye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-12, 12:11   Link #72
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamikage
bleh... no bit torrents? .... my connection is too unstable at the moment to waste bandwidth with irc (most of them hwarf people out if the connection gets "too slow" anyway ... with some very interesting definitions of "too slow")
ah well ...maybe next week (if my damn situation improves)
Old 2006-05-12, 13:12   Link #73
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
bleh... no bit torrents? .... my connection is too unstable at the moment to waste bandwidth with irc (most of them hwarf people out if the connection gets "too slow" anyway ... with some very interesting definitions of "too slow")
ah well ...maybe next week (if my damn situation improves)
I get seasick when i go on to irc. strange but true. its all those rapid scrolling text that i just dunno how to stop.

BT is a god sent. death to Seasicking ancient inefficient IRC!!!

Old 2006-05-12, 14:34   Link #74
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psieye
I know that weeks back when people were speculating about translating the novels, Sushi-Y did say she wasn't so enthusiastic about translating novels compared to manga. She places emphasis on the difficulty of keeping the original author's Tone and Atmosphere consistent during the translation into English - which is no easy feat as we're finding on the Wiki project. Though with the "Editors and other Translators take care of synchronising tone/atmosphere" system we've got, who knows?
Yeah, I wrote it on the first page of the translation thread when it first began.

I already replied to velocity7 about the offer, and as I mentioned in the reply, novel translation simply isn't my cup of tea. Because I'm an incredibly anal translator, I'd rather spend 30 minutes trying to think of a way to write a paragraph that remains the most faithful to the original text's tone and meaning, rather than spend 5 minutes and take liberties by using my own interpretations.

To put it bluntly, my translations sound like Japanese people speaking English, rather than English people speaking English. Whether that's a good thing or not is up to the reader.

Either way, I'm slow as a cow when translating novels, nor do I have the energy to burn on them (kudos to the people working on this, it looks like you guys are actually advancing quite nicely, I'm impressed), so for the moment, I'm sitting this one out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psieye
Incidentally Sushi-Y, how goes the translation of Reshuffle, the Shakugan no Shana short story you said (last month) you were translating?
Haha... People still remember that? ^^; I'm halfway through, but then the new anime season + school started and I got distracted again.

Maybe I'll finish it off when I get the time.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-12, 16:22   Link #75
Psieye
Lore Hunter

Send a message via AIM to Psieye Send a message via MSN to Psieye
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
To put it bluntly, my translations sound like Japanese people speaking English, rather than English people speaking English. Whether that's a good thing or not is up to the reader.

Either way, I'm slow as a cow when translating novels, nor do I have the energy to burn on them (kudos to the people working on this, it looks like you guys are actually advancing quite nicely, I'm impressed), so for the moment, I'm sitting this one out.
Mmm yes, I know what you mean - I always wondered sometimes at your word choices in the Negima scripts. But that is the best way to retain the original atmosphere - break all native speakers' mannerisms to fit with Japanese natives' idea of English. And we're only making fast progress because behind the scenes we're sitting around for days trying to figure out how to make one sentence sound right, after a rough draft is up ^^;;

Quote:
Haha... People still remember that? ^^; I'm halfway through, but then the new anime season + school started and I got distracted again.

Maybe I'll finish it off when I get the time.
My memory doesn't let go of certain things at times (I wish it would retain more of my academia-related knowledge...) ^^;; Best example would be "Oh, so THIS is what my friend was talking about when he said 'Violin that shaves 3 years off life expectancy each time it buffs you' 11 years ago" when I read a bit of Violinist of Hameln.

But yes, and this season has a lot of hard-hitters, not to mention this is Exam Term/Semester for students worldwide - certainly a novel translation project should be put behind for now ^_^

Incidentally, around where in the timeline (relative to major chara development events) does that sidestory occur?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
I get seasick when i go on to irc. strange but true. its all those rapid scrolling text that i just dunno how to stop.
Ahaha, it's not that bad when you know exactly what you want and torrents are dead/slow. With college bandwidth, I've achieved ludicrous speeds with IRC just as much as with torrents (definitely faster for old things).

Linux-style "recall previous command input" and other features makes it easy to streamline the download of a long stream of items.

Moe Culture Essays (my archive of my long posts); J Saimoe 2008 Wiki pages (minimialistic ASuki link library for now)
Psieye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-18, 01:41   Link #76
yamikage

Chapter 2 is out, available at the same place as chapter 1.

I'd tell you where to get ddl but some mod might make my post legendary.
yamikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-18, 11:19   Link #77
Adigard

Since the first chapter showed up on BT a few days after it was released, I'll anxiously await chapter 2 showing up there as well ^_^
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-18, 12:06   Link #78
passin'gass
Cropduster

Is there a problem with the baka-tsuki site? I can't access it...this is what i see:

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@baka-tsuki.net and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
passin'gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-18, 12:15   Link #79
Adigard

Someone beat me to the punch ^_^

Yeah, running into the same problem. I'm assuming there's some server maintenance ongoing atm.

//EDIT: that just ended, because I'm able to access the site atm. ^^
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-18, 12:22   Link #80
passin'gass
Cropduster

Thank Haruhi! Then again the site may have temporarily entered a Closed Space of her creation...
passin'gass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shounen, sneaker bunko, seinen, light novels, manga