AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-08-05, 12:20   Link #41
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

If you are concerned about OS cost, then maybe a Linux distro like Ubuntu. As you mentioned that u are interested in the old school games and starcraft and DII is well supported in wine.

Also it would be worth it to check if your educational institution is a member of the MSDNAA as some of them don't disclose that they are (lazy admins) and you can get free licences for XP and Vista that way.
Old 2007-08-05, 14:38   Link #42
arcadeplayer987

Lucky me, I can get licences for free
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-05, 15:19   Link #43
heavensgatekeeper7

arcadeplayer987 thats not fair that u get the licenses for free. if i could do that i would beable to spend my full budget on parts for the new computer. im looking to see if any of my friends can get one for cheaper of have a spare copy. grey_moon if i was in school i would try that but sad for me im a little to old for high school and havent been able to get finacial aid for some college classes but thinks for the idea i guess i could always ask one of my high school teachers that still work where i went to school.
heavensgatekeeper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-05, 23:10   Link #44
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavensgatekeeper7 View Post
grey_moon if i was in school i would try that but sad for me im a little to old for high school and havent been able to get finacial aid for some college classes but thinks for the idea i guess i could always ask one of my high school teachers that still work where i went to school.
If any of them are a MSDNAA then point out to them, that they actually get a licence for XP and XP SP2 , but I am not too sure how transferring the licence would work....
Old 2007-08-06, 19:39   Link #45
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
If you are concerned about OS cost, then maybe a Linux distro like Ubuntu. As you mentioned that u are interested in the old school games and starcraft and DII is well supported in wine.

Also it would be worth it to check if your educational institution is a member of the MSDNAA as some of them don't disclose that they are (lazy admins) and you can get free licences for XP and Vista that way.
I have a license for XP through my school. In the DND, many of the licenses for XP Pro go to waste. People, generally, write down the code before the computer gets deployed.
TakutoKun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-06, 20:34   Link #46
problemedchild
ô_ô

You can easly aquire a free copy of XP using the same technology that animesuki is based on.....

Last edited by problemedchild; 2007-08-06 at 23:39.
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-06, 22:46   Link #47
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by matradley View Post
I have a license for XP through my school. In the DND, many of the licenses for XP Pro go to waste. People, generally, write down the code before the computer gets deployed.
There is a UK software reseller who is trying to persuade large companies to trade in their old licences as it just goes to waste. Unfortunately for the OP when I looked into this as a source it was bulk buy only. But that was several years ago so maybe second hand software licences are an option?
Old 2007-08-07, 02:08   Link #48
heavensgatekeeper7

you guys have been so helpful. so now my dad is saying that i can spend close to 1000 dollars on a computer but he wants to just buy one from bestbuy or somewhere else close buy. hes worried about a warrenty now i need a way to persuade him that its better to build my own and that there is as much of a warrenty on it as one i buy from a store. another question if it comes down to it and i have to buy one from a store what is a good brand thats going to be damn good from the start exspecially if i want to play newer games mostly just starcraft 2 when it comes out.
Old 2007-08-07, 04:12   Link #49
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Quote:
you guys have been so helpful. so now my dad is saying that i can spend close to 1000 dollars on a computer but he wants to just buy one from bestbuy or somewhere else close buy. hes worried about a warrenty now i need a way to persuade him that its better to build my own and that there is as much of a warrenty on it as one i buy from a store. another question if it comes down to it and i have to buy one from a store what is a good brand thats going to be damn good from the start exspecially if i want to play newer games mostly just starcraft 2 when it comes out.
The brand will depend on what is in the box. Personally, I have seen great performance between prefab Dell and HP machines. Of course, you may or may not get what you want in the machine at all. However, since you seem tech savvy, you could upgrade components in the machine over time so that you can play Starcraft 2.
TakutoKun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-07, 08:04   Link #50
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Well if you build your own each part is covered by the maufacturers warranty (usually 1 year). The difference between storebought and homebuilt is if something fails you need to contact the manufacturer of the part that failed, you just don't send it all back to one place. So basically the only difference is you have to troubleshoot which part failed and send that back instead of sending the whole thing back. Even MS has to give you support (well until XP or Vista is dead and buried)

But once you build a PC and understand what does what it's easy enough.

I have a hard time recommending dell because I hear some of their gear is proprietary. So you have to order certain parts through them.
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...=DDCWEA3&s=dhs
this is pretty good value considering you get a monitor for $749, no vid card though and I have serious doubts whether you could fit a 8800gts or have enough power for it.

Are you in college? (Sounds like you are) if you are and haven't done your electives for your degree, do a Computer Science subject and sell him on that. Hey I did one in my time at uni and even though 99.99% of what I learnt is obsolete, I did learn how a PC works exactly and what is responsible to do what, which is useful. Are you doing any "tech support" for you mum and dad's pc? Basically you're just trying to prove that you're not going to fry yourself and you have some idea of what's going on. There's nothing like a RL demonstration of knowledge to persuade them.
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-07, 11:52   Link #51
heavensgatekeeper7

has anyone ever used the website cyberpowerpc.com i was talking to a friend and he ordered his computer off there and has had no problems with it and said that they are real friendly with support most of the time. also forgot to ask how good of a computer i could build with the 1000 dollar budget since that gives me an extra 200 dollars to spend so buying vista wont kill my budget now

Last edited by heavensgatekeeper7; 2007-08-07 at 13:28.
Old 2007-08-07, 15:07   Link #52
arcadeplayer987

Quote:
arcadeplayer987 thats not fair that u get the licenses for free. if i could do that i would beable to spend my full budget on parts for the new computer. im looking to see if any of my friends can get one for cheaper of have a spare copy. grey_moon if i was in school i would try that but sad for me im a little to old for high school and havent been able to get finacial aid for some college classes but thinks for the idea i guess i could always ask one of my high school teachers that still work where i went to school.
The University where I studdy has a collaboration with Microsoft, that's why I can get vista for free under download and than I just go and ask for a license
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-08, 02:03   Link #53
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadeplayer987 View Post
The University where I studdy has a collaboration with Microsoft, that's why I can get vista for free under download and than I just go and ask for a license
Microsoft employ what one of my friend's lovingly calls drug dealer tactics to get people hooked on to their products.

Personally I think it is all good especially for poor students, or people with a limited budget.

The thing is you do at times have to hunt down these deals, which is a shame as I have friends who splashed out and brought XP and they went on the same course as me so could have got them free.
Old 2007-08-08, 12:05   Link #54
heavensgatekeeper7

whats a good mother board to go with the intel e4400 cpu since i know have a 1000 dollar budget i figured i would use that cpu since it was recommend if i had enough money. also im going for the 8800gts 320. also going for a 500gig hdd. so now heres the new dilema should i use better parts for everything elso or just stick with the ones that were suggested by hobbes_fan also need to figure out which ram goes with the new motherboard. cant go over 875 for parts have to buy windows vista still for the build.
Old 2007-08-08, 20:11   Link #55
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

change the motherboard, cpu and HDD. maybe a case that isn't too bling I'll leave this to you as its a matter of tastes.

E4400?

Well go with anything with a p35 chipset however with a $40.00 rebate this is hard to go past

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813127031

500gig
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822144450
(I'd prefer the samsung spinpoints as they're very quiet but they're like $30 mor)e

ddr2 ram is what you need preferably 800 speed but 667 is ok.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231098

Everything else can pretty much stay

EDIT: this looks like good value
I'm a bit sleepy and can't do any maths to total it all up ATM but if possible and it fits within your budget have a shot at this instead of the e4400
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115005

Last edited by hobbes_fan; 2007-08-09 at 08:08.
Old 2007-08-10, 00:53   Link #56
heavensgatekeeper7

ok so my budget is 1000 dollars not including windows vista so technically its 1100 including vista. My dad is actually going to let me buy all the parts but i have to take it somewhere and let them assemble the whole thing. so heres what i came up with tell what u think. also not included in this is a media reader becuase i need some suggestions on it. im still going to use windows vista.

Mb: ABIT IP35-E LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Cpu: Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 Conroe 2.33GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6550 - Retail

Hdd: SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD403LJ 400GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Mem: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ - Retail

Case: Linkworld 3210-04-C2628 Black/ Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Burner: ASUS 18X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe and 14X DVD-RAM Write Black SATA Model DRW-1814BLT - OEM

Psu: HIPER HPU-4M480-PS ATX12V v2.2 480W Power Supply - Retail

Vc: EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

Last edited by heavensgatekeeper7; 2007-08-10 at 16:19.
Old 2007-08-10, 20:09   Link #57
heavensgatekeeper7

something i was just wondering about is there any extra parts or cables i may need that dont come with the parts i list or parts that u guys may suggest i dont know alot about what comes with these items so i was just curious figured i would ask now before i start ordering stuff and then not having all of it when i take it to be assembled.
Old 2007-08-11, 00:27   Link #58
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Cables are cheap mate, but the motherboard should come with at 2 sata data cables from what newegg shows (1 each for HDD and DVD) and the power for those comes from the PSU cables which has 2 SATA power cables. Your video card also needs power but the specs on the PSU says it has power cable for PCIe cards.

Which only leaves the fans, you may need adaptor cables for the fans but that'll be max $10 for the whole lot. As a generous estimate, budget maybe $30 for a bigger fans (big fans spin slower and move more air = less noise) if you're fussy about noise. but that's something you can definitely do at a later stage as it doesn't need any sort of technical knowledge at all. But get it up and running first, there's no need to do this at all if you're happy withe the system noise.

But generally from looking at the specs of the gear you should be covered for cables. But yeah you may need a couple of cables here and there but these are extremely cheap.

Also why the 640mb version of the 8800gts? I mean yeah its great, but considering what games you've said you like to play, it seems overkill and lastly is your monitor(s) capable of resolution higher than 1600x1200? It's seems a waste of $100 if you're not getting the most out of it. Also factor in assembly costs (might be an idea to watch them and learn)

Last edited by hobbes_fan; 2007-08-11 at 00:40.
Old 2007-08-11, 12:20   Link #59
heavensgatekeeper7

so thats a pretty good set up other then to just go with the 320mb 8800gts since im not doing that much big gaming. ok so those are the most likely parts i will buy when i get the ok to order them. still looking for some kind of media reader does anyone have any suggestions on this. i was adding everything up and comes up a little under budget any other suggestions i mean even with not adding the media reader there is still about 100 dollars left. everybody on here has been a big help im startin to learn about all the different parts and what goes with them.
Old 2007-08-11, 12:39   Link #60
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Not a fan of internal card readers, feel it's better and cheaper to get an external one that's connected by external usb. But then again that's just me as I don't use cf, SD media daily, sp I don't want it sitting there and sucking up wattage when I use I once in a blue moon. Fo keep an external one handy for when I'm on the road and only have the laptop

What about a nice soundcard like an HT Omega Striker or Claro?

Tags
building computers