Old 2007-08-23, 02:42   Link #121
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by innominate View Post
*offtopic*

A happy birthday to Vexx too, from me. =D

There's something that intrigues me, though: Is there such a religion that believes in the existence of (a) god, but at the same time accepts the existence of other gods from other religions, in the sense that their gods and those 'other gods' co-exist in accordance to this religion despite the possible conflict of belief (with the other religions)?

gah; T_T what kind of words am I using...
Shinto follows that line to some extent. It is how Buddhism was easily accepted/integrated into japanese culture -- especially since Buddhism has no "gods" as one might normally think of them. Shinto also permits one to be "christian" (though I suspect that is more of a fad than a true conversion for many) and there's some bemusement (or outright ignoring) of the exclusivity demand of mainstream christianity.

Everything is just a subset or colorful twist within Shinto one could say.

Thanks to people are off-topically wishing me well on my recent birthday... can't say I'm "in my 40s" anymore. Apologies for the spaghetti remark - creating one's own religion just kind of spawned the reference. The geneticist Richard Dawkins discusses the subject quite seriously in part of his book: The God Delusion. I found the book an interesting read, whatever one thinks of the subject.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-08-23 at 02:59.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-23, 06:02   Link #122
anti-random
We want chicken tonight

Yeah I've read that book to. Its alright but it seems to generalize a lot on religions. We aren't all extremists. (Its the vibe I got from reading the book.)

Thanks Sephi
anti-random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-23, 13:08   Link #123
arcadeplayer987

Religion!!! All the church want only money, the faith is on the second plan.
I'm ortodox but I don't believe in any religion, I belive in God and that is the most important
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-24, 00:12   Link #124
Gemstar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadeplayer987 View Post
Religion!!! All the church want only money, the faith is on the second plan.
I'm ortodox but I don't believe in any religion, I belive in God and that is the most important
Religion, a label, a name to be put on others. A creed a sect , truth to be imposed onto others. How can you have organized truth ? Truth is free, limitless, free an energy. You have to act this way or be a certain how....Freedom, just be happy. All this non sense and fighting ? What is all the point of it ? Words of transaction and behaviour. Can't you people just sigh ? Free your mind from thoughts. When you just feel it is so much easier than what I see or hear about religion. Right now..in your dreams how does it feel. Your are free from your conscious self. Upon waking up do you awake with thoughts ? Without thoughts how does it feel ? Do we sense religion and the things it has ?
Gemstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-24, 00:17   Link #125
Diaboso
we girls arnt safe!
*Artist

baptist.

I dont go to church though... its just not my thing
Diaboso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-24, 11:28   Link #126
LastPerson

I have no religion. But I believe in God. There is a set undeniable beliefs I have.. but there is no real name for it.
LastPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-24, 14:21   Link #127
Van - Halo - Tupac

Send a message via AIM to Van - Halo - Tupac
I'm muslim. Though there are some things in my religion which I personnaly think are awkward. I pray time to time, but I am not a perfect muslim. Though it is part of my identity.
Van - Halo - Tupac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-25, 01:08   Link #128
aolas
King Of The Night Sky
*Graphic Designer

i`m muslim too
aolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-25, 02:11   Link #129
Diaboso
we girls arnt safe!
*Artist

I just noticed how thier is such a high majority of atheists here...no disrespect intended but has people these days just became so lazy they cant be bothered with religion?

I also (seam) to be the only baptist here not that my religion is much different from Christianity, just a few fine print differences really.
Old 2007-08-25, 03:19   Link #130
shiro83

Officially, I am a Buddhist. Unofficially, I am a free-thinker (or atheist).
I don't usually go to temples unless my parents/relatives tell me to go with them.
shiro83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-25, 03:39   Link #131
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaboso View Post
I just noticed how thier is such a high majority of atheists here...no disrespect intended but has people these days just became so lazy they cant be bothered with religion?
Lazy ? With all do respect, i would like you to refrain from comments implying that people who happen to distance themselves from religion are worse in some way for some bizarre reason. I fail to see what laziness has to do with ones set of beliefs in the first place.
Old 2007-08-25, 05:02   Link #132
Thingle
Banned

It turns out, it is the baptist theist who needs to have his words watched
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-25, 06:19   Link #133
anti-random
We want chicken tonight

LOL Diaboso LOL.

Thanks Sephi
anti-random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-25, 08:52   Link #134
Diaboso
we girls arnt safe!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Lazy ? With all do respect, i would like you to refrain from comments implying that people who happen to distance themselves from religion are worse in some way for some bizarre reason. I fail to see what laziness has to do with ones set of beliefs in the first place.

Man I knew it would be taken that way. I am in no way saying my religion is better. what I am asking is what you guys think is the reason more peoples religions dont include going to curch. If you read my earlyer post I dont go to church eaither so I was including myself in the lazy people. if I was trying to be all high and mighty I wouldent have said "no disrespect" because I knew most of you would think I was preaching....thats why religion isent a good conversation peace.
Old 2007-08-25, 09:38   Link #135
Gemstar
Banned

Quote:

I also (seam) to be the only baptist here not that my religion is much different from Christianity, just a few fine print differences really.
Bother, to me a negative word. Why bother with it, if you don't feel it ? In majority of humans I know for each sentence they say there are more words than mets the eye. Let sentences be sentences. For example The apple is green. In regular human cases this will what they might think. > Oh so you are feeling hungry for an apple ? Oh, you have a thing for the color green ?

NO. The apple is green FULLSTOP !
Gemstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-25, 12:13   Link #136
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaboso
what I am asking is what you guys think is the reason more peoples religions dont include going to curch.
I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Are you making the observation that more people are leading secular lifestyles today? That would certainly seem to be the case, and depending on your worldview, it can seem to be either a good thing or bad thing. As for why our modern lifestyles have become so much more secular, well, the reasons are highly complex. Suffice to say that it's due to a mix of many factors.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-25, 12:28   Link #137
Ending

Atheist, since I don't believe in the humbug religions try to push on other people. I have also seen how bad it gets when a lot of people turn a blind eye on reason and go on only with what the holy book of their religion says.

Just think about all those anti-abortion, euthanasia, science, and liberty issues countries like Italy have. On the other hand, those people that keep it solely inside the churches are okay.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-25, 13:43   Link #138
Shiemi
Counting days

Protestant Christian: Non religious, but mystical Pentecostal, as contradictory as it may sound.
Shiemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-25, 16:54   Link #139
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Baptism is a Christian denomination both in bold and fine print. This is disputed nether by the Baptists nor by any other major denomination.
Old 2007-08-25, 18:11   Link #140
Diaboso
we girls arnt safe!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
Baptism is a Christian denomination both in bold and fine print. This is disputed nether by the Baptists nor by any other major denomination.
humf so your right..my bad I worded it wrong...

now im going to stop posting on this thread befor I word somthing else wrong.

Tags
not a debate, philosophy, religion