AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

View Poll Results: Nanoha - StrikerS - Episode 01 Rating
Perfect 10 49 28.82%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 40 23.53%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 45 26.47%
7 out of 10 : Good 21 12.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 4.12%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 1.76%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.18%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 1.18%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.59%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-07, 18:00   Link #441
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

R-right....how about GMT?

Can't wait to see it. XD

Finally some Fate action!
Old 2007-04-07, 18:12   Link #442
aers
*Fansubber

01:10:00 Monday April 9, 2007 == 16:10:00 Sunday April 8, 2007 in GMT
Old 2007-04-09, 06:20   Link #443
Bloodseeker

I decided to say "screw it" on waiting for Triad's release of Nanoha StrikerS. They can take weeks.

-Damn, it feels kinda weird getting ready to watch this... I've been discussing it and anticipating it and discussing it and helping to hype it and discussing it some more for the last year.

-Said this before, but the OP's alright. At least I could watch it again, unlike the first season's. I'd say that its about on par with the second season's.

-The ****'s up with those fire extinguishing guns? You'd think that a world that's that high tech would have better technology than us, but those things look about as effective as normal fire extinguishers and way less effective than a fire hose.

-Don't cry little g- er...

-Just falling to her hands and knees in the middle of a fire? Kid's got no survival instincts .(well, I guess that she survived for that long, but still)

-Nanoha should have started off at that age. Fate and Hayate too. No raving lolicons driving people away. They always seemed to act a too mature for their age, anyways.

-Older Subaru = cutest reverse trap ever?

-Tiana's guns in the promo art looked cooler than the wooden design that they have now. Probably upgrade to the metal version once she joins Nanoha's team.

-I wonder if Raging Heart is going to be able to be shot this season...

-I'm looking forward to seeing Nanoha in instructor mode. It fit her well in the manga.

-It looks like Subaru's fighting style might give Fate's some competition in badassery.

-Teana and Subaru are fighting a lot smarter than what you usually saw in the last two seasons.

-Well, they were fighting smoothly...

-No, Raging Heart, you're not set up. If you were, you'd be a boomstick.

-You know, why you're chatting, the clocks ticking...

-Said this before too, but Subaru's divine busters >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Nanoha's divine buster

-Embarrassing way to end it.

-ED's better than the first two seasons. Definitely better visuals, and I can listen to the song without getting annoyed.

If this episode was any indicator, then StrikerS is going to live up to the last two seasons, and maybe even surpass them. I like the way they're using a wide variety of magic in this season instead of just energy balls and barriers, and fighting using their heads instead of just brute force was a nice change too. Also, it looks like Tiana and Subaru are going to be at least on par with the first two season's characters in likability. Only thing that I'm really going to miss at this rate is Arf... (I get the feeling that we're going to be seeing Chrono plenty later)
Old 2007-04-10, 00:02   Link #444
BatAttack
Gaou!!

Quote:
Just falling to her hands and knees in the middle of a fire? Kid's got no survival instincts .(well, I guess that she survived for that long, but still)
Strictly speaking, she would already be long dead from smoke inhalation.

She would also have at least second degree burns... blisters all over he body.
Still, full-body scarring gives you a lot of character.

Quote:
The ****'s up with those fire extinguishing guns?
Someone already mentioned they look like mist guns.
Mist is actually quite effective at fire suppresion, more so than a stream of water.
There is research being done now to make effective mist guns for fire-fighting.

Quote:
-You know, why you're chatting, the clocks ticking...
Yeah, because of that, I found that whole scene painful to watch..
Whatever girls, just GET ON WITH IT, FAST!
A short 'to the point' speech would have been better than her long, rambling one..

Quote:
Said this before too, but Subaru's divine busters >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Nanoha's divine buster
I seem to be the only one (or one of few) who still prefers Nanoha's Divine Buster.

That, and Axel Shooter, are my favourite looking attacks.

Some of the over-powered excellion stuff is too over the top, and doesn't look as good, IMO.

Having said that, Subaru's DB is very cool... and its biggest weakness, the range dispersal, looks cool as well...
Old 2007-04-10, 03:32   Link #445
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatAttack View Post
Strictly speaking, she would already be long dead from smoke inhalation.

She would also have at least second degree burns... blisters all over he body.
Still, full-body scarring gives you a lot of character.
Y-yeah, realistic point of view

Fortunately (or should I say usually?) things don't work that way in anime.

The fire could've been magical (because of the Lost Logia)
Old 2007-04-10, 10:48   Link #446
Thisguy
Negikamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
If it was for training, then Yuuno's comments on the following page wouldn't make sense at all.
I had a chance to see raw for 2nd page, and I have to say again; scanlations are always suspicious against mistranslation.
I wouldn't translate "いわば「魔導士養成ギプス」的な効果を発揮します" to something like that, and even it's not Yuuno's comment to begin with.
It's more like "As result, it has the effect similer to what you'd call "Mage Training Gypsum""; clearly indicating that it's for training use.

Hmm... gonna search for the book someday, not only for this, but I'm simply interested in what they didn't include in anime.
Old 2007-04-11, 12:30   Link #447
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Also finally got to see ep 1.

hmmm, first the bad -- I was fairly disappointed in both the OP and ED ... both music and visuals. However, those are the least of my criteria for evaluating a series. The opener was a pretty standard "two young recruits proving themselves to the Old Guard" kind of sequel opener.... okay but nowhere near the gutbusting opener of season two.

The good -- they've done a pretty fair job of characterizing Nanoha as someone who's grown/ascended into a high level mage with lots of gentle wai in her being. Not quite the "shoot first ask later" earnestness but more care in her actions. Reinforce is still a bit cutesy happy to be military grade but I'm sure with all the dysfunctional personalities around (the Wolkenritter, Fate, etc) she doesn't stand out all that much
We really didn't see much of Fate or Hayate emote (mostly their scenes were just "yeah we're still around").
The new recruits make a pretty good (if a bit cliched) pair. I'm guessing episode two will focus on them being inducted and introductions to the rest of the Wacky Squad of Heroes.

To me its playing kind of like that string of John Wayne movies where half the cast is the same from movie to movie, the characters all know each other from prior wars/battles/escapades and it just kind of feels good to watch them play it out. Not a bad thing.

I would have rated it an "8" but dropped it to a "7" because of the OP/ED. I won't do that for the rest of the episodes. I suspect the season will give me a good solid "8" (possible "9" if there's some excellent drama in addition to the action).

edit: as far as the fire opener... it was a very large mall. It wasn't like she was immersed in flames or the visibility was completely shot, but she was trapped, it was hot and hard to breath -- eventually smoke inhalation would get her. They did put her in an ambulance.... I guess my main critique of the sequence was there was not nearly enough coughing and eye/nose irritation.
Old 2007-04-11, 13:21   Link #448
Lost

I agree with you about the OP. In this case I actually thought the ED was better; something that was surprising (or maybe, sad) since that wasnt the case in S1/2.
Old 2007-04-11, 16:22   Link #449
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Strange I liked both better than the previous OP/ED sequences.
Old 2007-04-11, 16:26   Link #450
Meophist

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
Strange I liked both better than the previous OP/ED sequences.
You're right, you are strange. j/k

To be truthful, I don't really have an opinion. I liked all of the op/eds so far, though I tend to like the eds more than the ops.
Old 2007-04-11, 16:58   Link #451
Bloodseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The good -- they've done a pretty fair job of characterizing Nanoha as someone who's grown/ascended into a high level mage with lots of gentle wai in her being. Not quite the "shoot first ask later" earnestness but more care in her actions. Reinforce is still a bit cutesy happy to be military grade but I'm sure with all the dysfunctional personalities around (the Wolkenritter, Fate, etc) she doesn't stand out all that much
Lets wait until we actually see her fight with an enemy before we jump to conclusions.

As for the OPs and EDs... the first ED makes me homicidal. Annoying lyrics and that stupid little deformed Nanoha dancing down there in the corner... bleh. The first OP and second ED sucked too. The second OP, third OP, and third ED are watchable, and I like the visuals for the third ED.
Old 2007-04-11, 21:44   Link #452
Skane
Anime Snark

I'm fairly ambivalent about StrikerS' OP, but I must definitely say that out of the 3 EDs, I vastly prefer StrikerS' one. The song and visuals give that epic feeling, and that sense of lonely majestic feel on Nanoha.

Cheers.
Old 2007-04-12, 00:52   Link #453
BatAttack
Gaou!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
edit: as far as the fire opener... it was a very large mall. It wasn't like she was immersed in flames or the visibility was completely shot, but she was trapped, it was hot and hard to breath -- eventually smoke inhalation would get her. They did put her in an ambulance.... I guess my main critique of the sequence was there was not nearly enough coughing and eye/nose irritation.
The fire was portrayed in a very unrealistic way.. its like everything was normal, but there were little pockets of fire all over the place, and visibility was ok.

Given that it was an enclosed space (Nanoha felt she had to blast her way out), perhaps even underground, the area would have been full of smoke, and it would have been unbreathable within minutes. If she were there long enough that she had become seperated from everyone and was wondering around lost, then she would have lost consciousness and died long ago.

Also, you don't have top be in contact with fire to get burned - inside an enclosed burning building, the air would become blistering hot, even at the centre, far from any fire puddles.

I know I'm being pedantic, but I generally get quite cross about how fires are portrayed in all sorts of fiction. Hollywood movies are just as bad.
Old 2007-04-12, 01:16   Link #454
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Not disagreeing with you that film fires are often misrepresented...
but you're assuming quite a lot as well when you don't know the size of the building, how long the fire had been burning, how successful the suppression was going, whether they had any ventilation tactics engaged, or any number of other factors. We simply were given the "girl trapped and rescued scenario" which happened to involve Nanoha having to shoot RH .....

Now something I find disconcerting is that it was just the one girl and that the firemen seemed to know there was just one girl. I also find it odd we just get shown FOUR firemen rather than a six alarm full scale wonder (like its any harder to draw a few seconds of that).

I sympathize with the gist of your irritation though because my areas of expertise are just as often tortured for "dramatic purposes"
Old 2007-04-12, 15:38   Link #455
Loner
Lurking In the Darknes...

Triad's released their sub of Ep. 1.
Old 2007-04-12, 22:11   Link #456
Darco_emp
Bored and Lurking ~

Send a message via MSN to Darco_emp
How is the video quailty compares with the other two, espeaically nanoha-dgz's h264 one....
Old 2007-04-12, 22:15   Link #457
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Lets just say it's well worth the wait

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2007-04-12 at 22:26.
Old 2007-04-12, 23:00   Link #458
Darco_emp
Bored and Lurking ~

Send a message via MSN to Darco_emp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Lets just say it's well worth the wait
That I gotta see then. *rushes to get the release....*

Btw Chaos, do you go on any chinese forums, since I assume you can read chinese as your Ep2 screenshots have chinese subs unless i'm very much mistaken.
Old 2007-04-12, 23:08   Link #459
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darco_emp View Post
That I gotta see then. *rushes to get the release....*

Btw Chaos, do you go on any chinese forums, since I assume you can read chinese as your Ep2 screenshots have chinese subs unless i'm very much mistaken.

Yeah it is in chinese sub... But I don't go on Chinese forums because...

...Sigh...

My computer can't read chinese/japanese yet
Old 2007-04-12, 23:26   Link #460
herbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Yeah it is in chinese sub... But I don't go on Chinese forums because...

...Sigh...

My computer can't read chinese/japanese yet
Which OS are you using on your computer? If it is Windows, just go Control Panel->Regional and Language Options->Language, tick the option "install files for East Asian languages", left-click "OK" or "Apply" buttom, then all done.

But why bother to visit Chinese boards? I have been several Chinese forums, found none of them interesting enough to keep me staying.