AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 131 64.53%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 41 20.20%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 10.34%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 2.46%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 1.48%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.49%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.49%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-29, 01:31   Link #61
pseudonhym
わかんないよ

Great episode. Remember to sign your insurance cards/organ donor cards.
Old 2010-05-29, 01:35   Link #62
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

It was a pretty beautiful episode, though there are still a good number of places that left me unsatisfied or didn't work. For now, I would like to congratulate Otonashi for somehow staying alive for 7 days with those inside wounds. I would like to shake my head over the abnormally long amount of time it took for the people to be rescued. I'd like to express my amusement over how I laughed over the part where everyone simultaneously grabbed their donation card things (Wow, they all have one...).
But despite that, it was definitely a great episode, especially when compared to past episodes. And, a rare thing, the animation/art was very pretty.

Still, there is only 4 episodes left... Just what are they going to do? Purge 3-4 characters an episode? It's bad enough listening to the characters talk about their cheap tragedies of the past once an episode, but I hope they don't do so back-to-back.
Then again, it would also be sad if they just don't get a story and is cut.

PS: Wow, Christ, why didn't you work on the computer last time...
PSS: Yuri "It's all my fault" Me: "Yep"

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2010-05-29, 01:42   Link #63
Knightrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post

PS: Wow, Christ, why didn't you work on the computer last time...
PSS: Yuri "It's all my fault" Me: "Yep"
Me: It's all Yuri's fault for saving the entire SSS and deciding to help Kanade.

When will people start coming up with logical reasons to not like Yurippe.
Old 2010-05-29, 01:59   Link #64
Koji Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirusRiddler View Post
So a whole week for a rescue still sounds a little suspect to me unless it's the worst train accident since the Sarin Gas Incident.
I'm thinking that there were multiple pile ups. There were two that trapped everyone in the tunnel, so I don't think it's that hard to assume there were other barriers that might have been in the way.

Then again, I haven't gone back and watched the scene where the train wreck occurs, therefore not knowing how deep in the tunnel they were, so take my theory with a grain of salt.
Old 2010-05-29, 02:00   Link #65
kyosak
poo

Great episode, probably my favorite one. I really like how they did Otonashi's past.

Is it true that doctors don't try as hard to save you if you're an organ donor?! lol
Old 2010-05-29, 02:02   Link #66
Knightrunner

I wouldn't really worry about the tunnel thing too much since they are just trying to make a dramatic scene where Yuzuru endured seven days of internal bleeding without loosing composure. It is almost illogical for a rescue team to take seven days to dig out the survivors unless the were a bunch of lazy a** that do not want to save lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyosak View Post
Is it true that doctors don't try as hard to save you if you're an organ donor?! lol
I'm not sure if that is true myself but that is what stops my parents from donating there organs. I guess depending which doctor you have will determine if they will save you or not for the organs. I wonder how much people are willing to donate blood?
Old 2010-05-29, 02:10   Link #67
Mashimaro
q8D

I would love to see a small scene of the survivors visiting his grave =(
Old 2010-05-29, 02:15   Link #68
Ezilled

One of the finest episode of Angel Beats, and I thought it should be worth a million praise in my book. Words couldn't express the feeling of admiration towards Otonashi after he did his best to overcome any obstacles from his own predicament and everyone from reality and even the afterlife. He is truly a remarkable person and I daresay, he's an excellent role model to anyone who has fallen to utmost oblivion and despair. He also changed my way of thinking as of now, and I want to fix this mess -- this unfair life given to me somehow. A never-ending gun salute to the person who died as a man with one of the greatest character portrayal and background tale of this year, all years.

On the other hand, I somehow predicted that Otonashi will join forces with Kanade, and it actually came true. Four episodes left, and I wonder how can their plan succeed, and I know Yuri will find it out as soon as possible. Also, Yui might disappear in this episode considering she's an idiot but lovable regardless.
Old 2010-05-29, 02:15   Link #69
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrunner View Post
Me: It's all Yuri's fault for saving the entire SSS and deciding to help Kanade.

When will people start coming up with logical reasons to not like Yurippe.
Coming from a person who has her as an avatar, it just looks like you don't like her being hated on, simply.
As for "logic"... Well, I won't bother to go into this, since it would be off-topic.

I don't like her... just because I don't like her! OH MY GOD, don't shoot me with that slingsho- GYAH!

-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2010-05-29, 02:28   Link #70
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Well, that was unexpected (I don't watch previews). Forget GAR, this is just plain heroic. I don't think I would bear to see the other survivors' faces when they realize that he's gone at the last moment.

This explains his entry into Purgatory much better. He had a terrible youth, but managed to complete it by his death, even though he didn't know it. Therefore, it'd be hard for him to disappear - he doesn't know what he's looking forward to, really.

I'm unsatisfied by how Kanade simply awakens without much incident. I expect to see her internal conflicts explained later on.

I now fear the ending. I really want Otonashi and Kanade to be together as dual Angels in Purgatory forever, but I guess the typical Key bittersweet ending would have either Kanade passing on and Otonashi taking her place, or them both disappearing. Either way, they will never meet each other again. I'd be really sad to see such kindred spirits separating.
Old 2010-05-29, 02:34   Link #71
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

I think TK is a pro break dancer and got himself killed by attempting a hyper complicated move
Old 2010-05-29, 02:35   Link #72
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
I think TK is a pro break dancer and got himself killed by attempting a hyper complicated move
Absolutely wonderful idea!
I will forever worship this anime if he gets such a story.

Old 2010-05-29, 02:39   Link #73
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Also, hearing the final definition of Purgatory from Kanade, I'm more and more convinced that Yurippe lied about her not committing suicide, and that her fortitude in this world is a front to hide that weakness in her ultimate decision. Seeing what happened to her family, I had a very hard time thinking she wouldn't kill herself.
Old 2010-05-29, 03:00   Link #74
Knightrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Coming from a person who has her as an avatar, it just looks like you don't like her being hated on, simply.
As for "logic"... Well, I won't bother to go into this, since it would be off-topic.

I don't like her... just because I don't like her! OH MY GOD, don't shoot me with that slingsho- GYAH!
*pointing halbard* (thought: lucky i'm in the good mood today)
I don't mind people hating her because it gives more reason to tell about her epicness and the reasons what makes her a decent character. If you don't like her just simply because you don't like her then thats reason enough. I'm glad you not trying to manipulate scenes that would try to make her seem guilty of something.

Yuzuru death was also epic too. Withstanding the internal bleeding for seven days without complaining and helping others out. I'm kind of wondering what Yuzuru was thinking in the end when he was thinking what will happen to the two of us. I hope he does not try to get Kanade to dissapear after he worked with her to try to make the others to disappear. I hope Yurippe will figure this out soon for the story can get more interesting, but right now it seems like she is depress do anything in the end.
Old 2010-05-29, 03:03   Link #75
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
Also, hearing the final definition of Purgatory from Kanade, I'm more and more convinced that Yurippe lied about her not committing suicide, and that her fortitude in this world is a front to hide that weakness in her ultimate decision. Seeing what happened to her family, I had a very hard time thinking she wouldn't kill herself.
The main problem though is the age gap, she looks at least 6~8 years olders than she did when her siblings were killed, so I mean what would have caused her to live until then commit suicide only to then gain such resolve, I think her death must have some cruel twist of fate rather than a suicide, to give her such resolve to fight now. Though only way I see it possible if something even worse had happened to her that drove her to do it while she was alive.
MAL
Old 2010-05-29, 03:04   Link #76
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
*pointing halbard* (thought: lucky i'm in the good mood today)
I don't mind people hating her because it gives more reason to tell about her epicness and the reasons what makes her a decent character. If you don't like her just simply because you don't like her then thats reason enough. I'm glad you not trying to manipulate scenes that would try to make her seem guilty of something.
I'd like to state that my statement above you does NOT mean I hate Yurippe. She so far appears to be a simple intelligent leader-type character only because we don't know how she dies until Yuzuru gets it out of her. Now put that halberd away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
The main problem though is the age gap, she looks at least 6~8 years olders than she did when her siblings were killed, so I mean what would have caused her to live until then commit suicide only to then gain such resolve, I think her death must have some cruel twist of fate rather than a suicide, to give her such resolve to fight now. Though only way I see it possible if something even worse had happened to her that drove her to do it while she was alive.
It could mean that she discovered an even uglier truth behind the murders, so she decided to personally kick the bucket, believing that there's no one at which she could direct her vengeance. Now that she's in Purgatory, there's "god" to find and whose face to punch into. I'm willing to believe that she's strong because she has a lot of anger in her.

I put up this theory simply because I find it odd that she would know that suicides won't end up in Purgatory, just like that. Even with the large sample size among the SSS organization, she wouldn't have called it a fact or a rule out loud just because she hasn't met anyone who committed suicide around her.

Last edited by Claies; 2010-05-29 at 03:15.
Old 2010-05-29, 03:12   Link #77
Knightrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
I'd like to state that my statement above you does NOT mean I hate Yurippe. She so far appears to be a simple intelligent leader-type character only because we don't know how she dies until Yuzuru gets it out of her. Now put that halberd away.
*tosses halberd in the closet* I can't wait for Yuzuru to figure out what killed her, but I'm kind of curious if she told anybody else in how she died. Well lets see how the Yuzuru and Kanade alliance will play out. I'm kind of wondering if they will show some of the less important character disappear without showing there past.
Old 2010-05-29, 03:20   Link #78
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
I'm kind of wondering if they will show some of the less important character disappear without showing there past.
I swear if Irie, Sekine, Hisako, or Yusa disappear without getting more lines of dialog I am gonna be annoyed , I mean Irie and Sekine haven't even actually had a line yet at all, so I don't think asking for them to get something line wise before they disappear is too much, if they want do that to Fujimaki, Noda, Ooyama, or Matsushita I probably wouldn't mind as much .
MAL
Old 2010-05-29, 03:25   Link #79
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Last week I was thinking that if there was ever a time that Maeda Jun should start doing what he does best, the ending to episode 8 says it should be this one. Episode 9 tells me he still knows what he's doing.

At the end of Otonashi's previous flashback I had an inkling he was going into premed and with this is confirms we do have something in common. I guess it's every medical student's and even a doctor's worst nightmare to be in a similar situation, much more when you yourself are injured and you can't very well treat yourself. It was a gutsy and selfless move he did moments before he faced his mortality, much more for a part of the world where organ donation isn't very big and having a complete body for burial is very much a cultural. Personally as a future doctor I would gladly say that dying in a similar situation, in the middle of the call of duty in the most dire of situations, is an honorable death.

The irony, of course, is that he had to pass into the next realm mere seconds before rescue.

It's a very sad situation for Kanade who was likely the first person to understand the way the world works. Going by her words, this purgatory isn't as much a malevolent world as Yuri tends to suggest. Even more so when she takes it upon herself to try and give them a reason to live and a reason to change, even if it meant being isolated and having to fight them. I might go so far as to say that the reason she's friendless is because she helped them moved on; the situation she's in suggests she only goes against the SSS as a reaction to Yuri's rebellious nature, as per her method of helping them. Yes, she could very well use a hug.

At least now she has help and, much more importantly, a friend in Otonashi. Now that she also understands how the world works he can help them pass on in a less vindictive and less violent manner (hopefully).

This of course leads to the question for Otonashi and Kanade's futures since they are likely to be the ones left behind: will they remain and help future souls or themselves also find a way to move on? It's almost a classic setup for a Key story and makes for a possibly gripping finale. Given the way they managed to handle this episode, looks like they still have a few tricks up their sleeve to wrap it all up nicely.

Good job Mr. Maeda. May faith in this is nary lost.
Old 2010-05-29, 04:07   Link #80
Jimmy C

One question remains is, Otonashi's cause of death doesn't appear to be sufficient to induce that degree of memory loss upon arrival in the afterlife.
Closed Thread