AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-11-30, 11:09   Link #701
Nixl

I also meant to ask, does the heavy class mirroring bother anyone else? In essence there are 4 classes types, just each having a Republic and a Sith flavor. I realize it make balance incredibly easy, but the variation is much lower than I expected.
Nixl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-30, 11:14   Link #702
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

At least they have different storyline. And does the mirror class' skill resemble each other that much? As in for a skill in the republic side , there's another class in the empire side that has a skill with the same exact status. If it's not, then I guess we can't really call the class mirror each other completely right? They just have the same role.
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-30, 11:20   Link #703
Nixl

From what I understand they share both role and abilities with the exact same status just with different visual effects.
Sith Juggernaut http://www.torhead.com/calculator/skill#101.1
Jedi Guardian http://www.torhead.com/calculator/skill#500.1

Sith Juggernaut- Crushing Blow: A strong blow that applies 3 stacks of sunder armor.
Jedu Guardian- Guardian Slash: A strong blow that applies 3 stacks of sunder armor.

Sith Juggernaut: Force Crush- Slows target from 60% to 10% speed.
Jedi Guardian: Force Exhaustion-Slows target from 60% to 10% speed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sith Powertech http://www.torhead.com/calculator/skill#301.1
Trooper Vanguard http://www.torhead.com/calculator/skill#801.1

Powertech-Immolate:Sprays the target with fuel.
Vanguard: Fire Pulse: Emites a fiery wave.
-----------------------------------------------------
Sith Sorcerer http://www.torhead.com/calculator/skill#201.1
Jedi Sage http://www.torhead.com/calculator/skill#600.1

Now that I look at it, from class abilities to even minor talents the classes mirror each other almost exactly just with different names and visual effects. I am not going to say no class has anything unique, but for the most part there are 4 classes specs just with a Sith or a Republic flavor.

Edit:
Not to sound pessimistic, but from what I remember being quoted the class stories make up anywhere from 10-20% of quests with the rest being shared or public quests.

Edit 2: This alongside the blue human, metal human, regular human, and blind human "race selection" is kind of annoying.

Last edited by Nixl; 2011-11-30 at 11:40.
Old 2011-11-30, 11:41   Link #704
lightbringer
M9000

JK and SW are like carbon copy of each other from what I've seen, skill for skill. Haven't studied the other classes in detail but it is indeed a bit bothersome This doesn't mean that you only have four classes - the advanced classes change the class completely, so you have eight classes really.

From my playthrough it was more like 5% of quests were class quests. It's more early on but later planets have many more non-class quests.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-30, 11:45   Link #705
Nixl

I am not going to say that I have read every line of text, but it seems like all the classes have a carbon copy. They just applied different names and graphics.

I am going to check the class abilities to see if it suffers the same fates.
Old 2011-11-30, 11:53   Link #706
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Hmyeah, they're pretty much mirrors. Doesn't elect more than a "mreh" from me though, since I can just pick the other advanced class if I want to play their counterpart. I'm going to play a sniper, so if I'm playing a smuggler I'll pick a scoundrel. That sort of thing. Still 8 different classes to play with.

As for grouping, my grouping will mostly be a few flashpoints and my crafting. I've found raiding to be a type of gameplay I can't fit myself in (the raiding itself is fine, but the feeling that I 'have' to log in isn't) so I won't bother with that much. Oh, and some PvP.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-30, 12:01   Link #707
Nixl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
JK and SW are like carbon copy of each other from what I've seen, skill for skill. Haven't studied the other classes in detail but it is indeed a bit bothersome This doesn't mean that you only have four classes - the advanced classes change the class completely, so you have eight classes really.

From my playthrough it was more like 5% of quests were class quests. It's more early on but later planets have many more non-class quests.
5%? That is far smaller than I expected.

As far as the abilities go, from what I have seen the abilities/spells also look mirrored (Sith Inquisitor =Jedi Consular). Not only the abilities, but also the talents are mirrored. That seems a little excessive. I am not saying it does not work, but it seems wrong to label them different classes when they are fundamentally the same, just with faction flavors.
Old 2011-11-30, 13:10   Link #708
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Boy I hope theres a Japanese Voice over i can pick when it comes out
Old 2011-11-30, 13:21   Link #709
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

... why would you want a Japanese voiceover for a star wars game?
Old 2011-11-30, 13:26   Link #710
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixl View Post
5%? That is far smaller than I expected.
I'll admit that number is a bit arbitrary but the bottom line is simply that there are orders of magnitude more quests that are not class-specific. I don't think it's fatal because a) quests are fun even if they are simply more of the tired kill x of y or click z of k types, due to voices and LS/DS points, b) quests take place in the same areas so you can complete them along with your class quests and c) you can also get XP from PVP, heroic quests, flashpoints, or space combat, so you don't have to do all the quests again and can mix it up a bit.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-30, 13:33   Link #711
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

And d) It encourages people to do the quests together since they can actually get involved with them both in story and rewards, unlike the class quests.
Old 2011-11-30, 14:20   Link #712
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
... why would you want a Japanese voiceover for a star wars game?
Because obi won would sound cooler in japanese?

I was just pokin fun from the skyrim board.
Old 2011-11-30, 17:00   Link #713
Clarste
Human

The classes on opposite factions are exactly the same in every way except visuals. I don't really think this is a big deal since with the advanced versions there are 8 classes anyway, but I guess it'd be nice if they made this more obvious in their advertising.

Actually, not quite. They differ a bit in equipment, for the non-Force classes anyway. For example the Gunslinger uses dual pistols while the Sniper uses a sniper rifle and a knife. I don't think the total stats are different or anything, but I'm not sure how that works out with item drops.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-30, 18:04   Link #714
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

It's DAVID HAYTER! I will not stand for Japanese VO in this case (which is a rare thing for me), oh and also lightning VA voices Kira.

Back to the community, I do understand mainstream MMOs tend to have worse communities, but I didn't think it was this bad. Even when Aion first launched it wasn't this awful.

Oh, and about the hardcore thing, a lot of hardcore players (i was formerly one, no longer, RL and all) are relatively nice, just because we play games 10 hrs a day doesn't mean we have to be assholes. We are only assholes to asshats that QQ over everything.
Old 2011-11-30, 18:14   Link #715
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Well, like I said, hit or miss. The two servers I played on had the best communities I'd seen in years.
Old 2011-11-30, 18:16   Link #716
Nixl

Unfortunately that just seems like more of the same mainstream MMO I have played with before. It will be interesting if the community runs with TOR or cannibalizes the game for its endgame. MMO communities can be extraordinary fickle.

The faction imbalance complaints that will probably result shall be humorous.

@Keroko, I feel like every server has good and bad crowds. It comes down to a matter of luck or successfully building a wall between yourself and what you find toxic. I was not so lucky on Kita Tran.
Old 2011-11-30, 18:30   Link #717
Xacual

It's really damn annoying that on Origin to cancel an order you have to actually contact a representative by phone or email. Taking 15 minutes to look through their site for a way to cancel and then spending 20 minutes on the phone just to cancel is pretty bothersome.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-30, 18:39   Link #718
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixl View Post
Unfortunately that just seems like more of the same mainstream MMO I have played with before. It will be interesting if the community runs with TOR or cannibalizes the game for its endgame. MMO communities can be extraordinary fickle.

The faction imbalance complaints that will probably result shall be humorous.
If the community of TOR ends up plunging to a point where the game is deemed "profitable enough not to shut down" I shall not mourn the loss of the fickle flamers among the exodites one bit.
Old 2011-11-30, 18:44   Link #719
Nixl

While that is true, having a less chaotic fickle group is a comfortable environment, I fear that such complaints could either motivate Bioware to make changes for the wrong reasons if that makes sense. That and, if what I heard is correct, Warhammer Online's history once it became smaller the developers virtually ignored it at a certain point.
Old 2011-11-30, 19:43   Link #720
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHige View Post
oh and also lightning VA voices Kira.
Um, Kira is voiced by Laura Bailey if my ears aren't failing me. Not Ali Hillis.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bioware, lucasarts, mmorpg, star wars, windows