AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-09-12, 20:52   Link #201
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
I buy the SuSE CD's every so often to say thank you
Yeah, well, Canonical ships you the CDs to anywhere in the world free of charge...

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-12, 21:12   Link #202
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Yeah, well, Canonical ships you the CDs to anywhere in the world free of charge...
Oh wow, thats pretty cool , so its 100% free (as in beer) or just free postage?
Old 2007-09-12, 21:26   Link #203
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

100% free as in beer and as in speech.

Old 2007-09-13, 20:25   Link #204
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Can't mount USB mp3 device after formatting it

I just used mkfs.vfat to format my USB mp3 device. The device itself is okay, the firmware works, but I can't mount it anymore. The terminal outputs:

Code:
bilkis@bilkis:~$ sudo mount /dev/sdc1 ~/USB
mount: /dev/sdc1: can't read superblock
Any ideas?

Old 2007-09-13, 20:43   Link #205
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

How about "mount -t vfat /dev/sdc1 ~/USB"? Does that help?

You might not need the "-t vfat" option if you have this device specified in /etc/fstab. For instance,

/dev/sdc3 /media/anime vfat defaults 0 0

but It never hurts to include the type of filesystem. Otherwise I think it defaults to ext3.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-13, 20:45   Link #206
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Ah, sorry, I just couldn't wait and gave in to the temptation of formatting it with my family's Windows box. Now it works fine.

Now I feel dirty for what I've just done... I should have waited for a way to fix it under Linux.

Old 2007-09-14, 00:32   Link #207
grey_moon

Quote:
Ah, sorry, I just couldn't wait and gave in to the temptation of formatting it with my family's Windows box. Now it works fine.

Now I feel dirty for what I've just done... I should have waited for a way to fix it under Linux.
Shower many times and remember to chew lots of gum
Old 2007-09-14, 03:03   Link #208
Ledgem
Love Yourself

There's an interesting bit of software that was featured on Slashdot that allows you to install Debian from Windows. There were conflicting opinions about whether it put the OS somewhere within Windows, or whether it actually touched the partition table. Personally, I was more interested to hear that it uses GRUB 2, which I thought was still at the alpha stages...
Old 2007-09-21, 21:41   Link #209
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Okay, time for the stupid question of the day.

I was doing some disk cleanup today (I finally got a new DVD-RW drive ) and found the folder "System Volume Information" in my NTFS-formated partition (I still have that damn thing... I still haven't been able to empty it to do a proper ext3 formatting -_-') which is 1 GB or so in size. I haven't been able to find enough information about it on the web, and I'm sure it has something to do with mounting NTFS partitions (due to the types of threads Google redirected me to)... but what the heck is it anyways? It's of an awfully enormous size, whatever its purpose is...

Old 2007-09-21, 22:04   Link #210
grey_moon

Quote:
Okay, time for the stupid question of the day.

I was doing some disk cleanup today (I finally got a new DVD-RW drive ) and found the folder "System Volume Information" in my NTFS-formated partition (I still have that damn thing... I still haven't been able to empty it to do a proper ext3 formatting -_-') which is 1 GB or so in size. I haven't been able to find enough information about it on the web, and I'm sure it has something to do with mounting NTFS partitions (due to the types of threads Google redirected me to)... but what the heck is it anyways? It's of an awfully enormous size, whatever its purpose is...
It is used by system restore. You should find that even if you disable SR it will still grow which can lead to lost space and you will need to enable then disable it to recover space (or just set the rights and delete stuff in it, but not too sure how dangerous this is as I do the previous method).
Old 2007-09-21, 22:16   Link #211
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

"System Restore"? Isn't that, like, a Windows XP app or something?

Old 2007-09-22, 11:18   Link #212
grey_moon

Quote:
"System Restore"? Isn't that, like, a Windows XP app or something?
Yup its the built in process from XP that automatically backs up the system (it is on by default chomping on resources without most users realising it kinda like the indexing service). Users can restore their systems to a point in time, but I personally find it flaky and rather use ghost or acronis.

I'm guessing that the NTFS partition had XP accessing it at some point and that is what created it....

PS Does anyone know when the next version of Ubuntu is due out?
Old 2007-09-22, 20:47   Link #213
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
I'm guessing that the NTFS partition had XP accessing it at some point and that is what created it....
Yeah, it had XP access at some point, but since I've deleted the partition a long time ago, I guess I don't need it anymore. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
PS Does anyone know when the next version of Ubuntu is due out?
Ubuntu 7.10 is due to release on October 18th

Old 2007-09-22, 21:34   Link #214
grey_moon

Quote:
Ubuntu 7.10 is due to release on October 18th
drool drool drool...

note to self - must remember to play in vmware before trashing my live box

Ooo thinking about it Opensuse should be out soon too, I'll be having fun taking out all my boxes muhahahhahahah
Old 2007-09-23, 01:04   Link #215
Ledgem
Love Yourself

For those of you who don't read Slashdot (probably nobody here), apparently Intel has created a site devoted to energy-saving in Linux, which may be useful to those running Linux on laptops who want to get more out of their battery. The downloads site includes some utilities to find out what applications are causing the most power consumption, a kernel modification to help with CPU energy savings, and some other goodies. People from Slashdot claimed that this is no different than Intel's PowerTop utility for Linux, only redesigned and with a snappier marketing sell.

It doesn't sound like it's incredibly useful, but it can probably help in a few ways.
Old 2007-09-23, 16:29   Link #216
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Another article, for those interested: how to get 32-bit builds of Linux to use more than 1 GB of RAM.
Old 2007-09-23, 20:59   Link #217
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
Another article, for those interested: how to get 32-bit builds of Linux to use more than 1 GB of RAM.
It's mostly useless if you have a distro like Ubuntu or Fedora 7, which enable 4 GB by default. The only distro mentioned there that doesn't enable it by default is Debian for the 486 architecture. It's good to know anyways.

Old 2007-09-24, 04:43   Link #218
grey_moon

I liked the Intel one, I can't wait until the eeepc comes out then I can use it to optimise my battery life on it.

Here is a question, how many of you use native linux wireless drivers or do you use ndiswrapper?

I had to use the the windows drivers to get the rt2500 to work as wpa in the gnome network manager, but it was surprisingly easy to set-up once I realised the version on their repositories was bugged.
Old 2007-09-24, 06:41   Link #219
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

For laptops, I only use Intel cards like the 3945. Intel has open-sourced drivers, and all recent distros include them now and usually detect the card automatically. I read somewhere about Broadcom releasing open drivers for its cards, but I haven't used a Broadcom NIC and don't intend to unless I have no other (read Intel) choice.

I've also used Linksys PCI adapters in desktop machines. The one I tried was an older 802.11b card. It presented the normal Linksys ethernet interface to the OS and came up immediately as eth0.

I don't use encryption; my wireless routers have MAC address filtering to keep out unauthorized users. I don't really care if someone's sniffing my traffic since there'd be little to see. Most times I do credit purchases from a wired machine, and even if I'm using the laptop, the transaction is encrypted with SSL so the credit information is invisible anyway.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-24, 21:04   Link #220
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I don't use encryption; my wireless routers have MAC address filtering to keep out unauthorized users. I don't really care if someone's sniffing my traffic since there'd be little to see. Most times I do credit purchases from a wired machine, and even if I'm using the laptop, the transaction is encrypted with SSL so the credit information is invisible anyway.
I agree with the point about SSL, but MAC address filtering isn't that strong because as soon as someone sniffs out your MAC address they can spoof it (of course you should notice as your connection will go gaga, but a experienced attacker would wait for the address to no longer be in use).

It does seem that a lot of companies are releasing their drivers as open source (thank goodness), and I can't wait for the day when a linux distro really works out of the box with no fiddling. I know that that is a pointless wish as it is nearly impossible for a distro to cover every hardware, but I was shocked how ubuntu nearly covers every bit of kit I slap it on, then only thing it misses normally is WPA support, the wireless normally works with WEP (spit). I'm not too sure that I can even get Vista to run on my lappie, and I'm not too sure what the out of the box driver support is like for it.

Tags
linux, ubuntu