AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Aquarion Series > Past Aquarion Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Aquarion EVOL - Episode 22 Rating
Perfect 10 6 16.22%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 7 18.92%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 8 21.62%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 10.81%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 10.81%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 2.70%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 5.41%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 13.51%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-05-27, 15:24   Link #41
Zuul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
With this episode in hand, I have lost any semblance of an idea as to what the hell is going on with many "goals" that our characters are following. They generally just don't make any sense to me anymore and, as before, there's a major discontinuity between one episode and the next.

So let's start from the top:

Mikono's journey to not be useless and to help, accomplished, as far as I can see, utterly no advancement for her character and maybe an actual backtracking. She was used as tool for exposition by Fudo last episode contributing little of anything aside from more "I'm sorry!" which is still entirely unresolved (though I have a good idea as to where its going). Her return to the scene is overshadowed by the return of the Golden Aquarion, and, in said scene, she does nothing but watch and then get kidnapped without putting up a fight. I don't get it. Wasn't she trying to be useful? Doesn't that usually mean that one attempts to accomplish something? Did I miss her accomplishing something somewhere? I'm serious when I ask these questions.
Let's also add that the whole scene was a rince and repeat (except that Kagura 'wins' for once) which considerably diminished all the emotional impact of the fight.
Quote:
I didn't expect Zessica to be dead but at this point, what does tearing her down even further accomplish? Wasn't she already heart broken (she was giving up last episode, had the heart broken gattai before that), why did we heart break her again? What's the point? Why did we retread old ground for the nth time? I'm so confused... why not just let her die on a high note? (This line is more to do with the next paragraph) For all the *I'm going to fight fate* nonsense getting thrown around by Amata for Mikono, in spite of him being at least partly fated to be with Mikono, isn't Zessica being billed as the one actually fighting fate... and losing horribly? What sort of story has two identical aesops for two separate character ending in two vastly different ways? Amata can fight fate and get a happy ending, but Zessica can fight fate and get wrecked week to week.
That's why I tipped last week, that they should have let her die for real if she doesn't have a chance at all. Zessica is a puzzling character because her only purpose seems to highlight the bad points of the main pair. The replay of episode 01/02 last week was particularly telling in that regard. Zessica's role seems to make Mikono looks like a bad love interest in comparison. It's weird knowing she is a loser here.

Quote:
Amata and Kagura really take the cake though:
Amata will *fight destiny* for Mikono, Kagura wants to follow destiny.
Didn't the episode just confirm that they were the same person? Just the "Dark" and "Light" half? And didn't both of them *fall* for Mikono because of destiny: smell, movie and line? I understand that they are going for: Kagura fixates on her because of destiny, Amata fixates on her because of who she is, but Amata's claim is hard to take seriously when you consider that they are all initiated by some aspect of their destiny playing a part in their initial encounters. Is it really fighting destiny when you're retreading old ground irregardless of the justifications for your attraction? Genesis did something similar to this but it didn't skirt around the issue, Apollo and Sylvia were themselves who fell in love but no one called that fighting fate, I mean why would you? The basis of their interactions was their past life and they had an affinity towards one another, that they then fell in love of their own volition (which didn't need to be hidden behind indecisive bullshit like the drama in this show) was a bonus.

I suppose Sirius also fought fate because he didn't go hard-gay for Apollo.

If Amata and Kagura fuse... how has fate been thwarted? If Mikono is constantly supported by Fudo and everything she does plays right into Mykages hands, how is the legend repeated... not repeating? The conflict of fate is really turning into:
I never bought the Amata fighting destiny thing.
Cherry on the cake, I find rather ridiculous his speech about liking the real Mikono while he fell for her in a 1/2 second over a sentence meant as a joke, and that he has been putting her on a pedestal up until now...

It's difficult to admit confirmed writters could be this clumsy. XD
It actually sparks my interest. I wonder if they are going to make up for it, or if it's going to become even more inconsistent.
Old 2012-05-27, 15:29   Link #42
mixordia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Wow, this was a pretty glorious episode! Almost makes up for the sorta-meh ones.

But first and foremost... Amata... Kagura... guys, you're in a super robot show. If you want to fight GET INTO A FREAKING ROBOT. Seriously, Shrade makes a better super robot hero than you two. When he fights it resounds in the galaxy! ...or something.

Kagura finally got Amata ticked off, and it was pretty glorious (watch me being the only one with this opinion). Finally his wings are back! (Where were they all this time? oh well, better not to think too deeply about it.) And the flying save again! Go Amata! ...too bad he got one-upped by Kagura again. Amata Sora, the boy who was hated by the universe. Anyway, go Amata, fight Amata, you're getting there! (I hope.) The scene when he screamed his feelings and regained his wings was pretty cool...... etc... etc... etc....
I loved your exciting review... and I agree, it was a great episode, I'm glad someone else agrees with this
Old 2012-05-27, 15:29   Link #43
pingva

I'm laughing at:
Amata and Kagura's "love". That's not love that's obsession. Amata has no reaction even to the death of his comrade, friend.
Mikono usefulness is that she is going to fuse Kagura and into one person again. I don't like fusions. Best part she even doesn't need to choose (it's everything on the plate.
Choose which planet deserves to live more. The real answer is that both, but who knows what we might get since even Izumo wants Mikono and he is going to fight to get her too since she is the Eve he needs. We need more obssessed people with Mikono. The only choice she has to live happy is to choose to go to sleep in Aquarion forever.
Mykage seems wants to use Zessica as a pilot for the old Aquarion and she is till the biggest wild card since the one who really is fighting the fate now.
Old 2012-05-27, 15:30   Link #44
ShinyBunny

Quote:
Wow, this was a pretty glorious episode! Almost makes up for the sorta-meh ones.

But first and foremost... Amata... Kagura... guys, you're in a super robot show. If you want to fight GET INTO A FREAKING ROBOT. Seriously, Shrade makes a better super robot hero than you two. When he fights it resounds in the galaxy! ...or something.

Kagura finally got Amata ticked off, and it was pretty glorious (watch me being the only one with this opinion). Finally his wings are back! (Where were they all this time? oh well, better not to think too deeply about it.) And the flying save again! Go Amata! ...too bad he got one-upped by Kagura again. Amata Sora, the boy who was hated by the universe. Anyway, go Amata, fight Amata, you're getting there! (I hope.) The scene when he screamed his feelings and regained his wings was pretty cool.
Not the only one. That scene was great. I was happy to see his wings back. A shame Kagura still got the upper hand in the fight. I'd like Amata and Kagura to get along. Don't really care about shipping with Mikono or Zessica business.
Old 2012-05-27, 15:37   Link #45
finalfury
Incognito

Spoiler for Mikage:

I also agree that it was a good episode and was better than I expected. Zessica will by the end of the series become a tragic heroine. Shrade, Zessica(despite the Mykage mindraping) and The legendary Aquarion were the only reasons i liked this episode just to be clear.

Last edited by finalfury; 2012-05-27 at 15:47.
Old 2012-05-27, 15:40   Link #46
Zuul

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalfury View Post
Spoiler for Mikage:

I also agree that it was a good episode and was better than I expected.
Probably fake.

But he seems to have suffered from a love deception in the past. Maybe he guenuinely empathizes with her somehow.

I didn't like this episode. Kagura disapointed me along with Amata and Mikono. Just the old Kuso Onna/Sylvie vs Mikono-saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan once again. Overall boring and repetitive.
Old 2012-05-27, 15:41   Link #47
mayumi

This show has the most shittiest idea of fighting fate. the most shittiest. If the writers are going to convince the viewers that "past lovers don't need to end up together" by mikono choosing the other half of original soul as a way to decide that, they must think the viewers have pretty small brains for it.
like come on who are they deluding with the nonsense amata was sprouting? he though it was fate that mikono and him met. like wtf?
Old 2012-05-27, 15:44   Link #48
Zuul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayumi View Post
This show has the most shittiest idea of fighting fate. the most shittiest. If the writers are going to convince the viewers that "past lovers don't need to end up together" by mikono choosing the other half of original soul as a way to decide that, they must think the viewers have pretty small brains for it.
like come on who are they deluding with the nonsense amata was sprouting? he though it was fate that mikono and him met. like wtf?
Fighting fate or not is all about what is convenient to Amata at the moment. I remember back in episode 5 when destiny was all fine and dandy to him.

It reeks of hypocrisy or shit writting. Your choice.
Old 2012-05-27, 15:49   Link #49
kuromitsu

Quote:
Actually, that's not what Amata was saying in this ep. He asked Kagura if he wants Mikono because of destiny, and when Kagura said "yes, duh?" he answered that he, Amata, doesn't care whether Mikono is a reincarnation or not. To put it simply, fate or no fate, he loves Mikono because she's Mikono and not because she's a reincarnation of Sylphie.

(Also, fyi in ep 5 no-one, except for Mykage and Kagura, and of course Fudou & Crea, knew anything about the reincarnation business, Amata and Mikono included. When Amata said he'd felt it was fate that they'd met he had no idea what he was talking about. For all we know he didn't really think anything, it was just his subconscious.)

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2012-05-27 at 15:59.
Old 2012-05-27, 16:07   Link #50
mayumi

You can't possibly say half soul of apollo/apollonius does not have feelings for silvia's soul regardless of if he remembers or not. I think what Amata is claiming is Bullshit. If he fell in love with a completely different girl than a Silvia reincarnation, I would agree with him. I am not even talking about Zessica here. Mix, Sasanqa, Yunoha, paper bag girl, anyone else i would completely agree with him.
Old 2012-05-27, 16:12   Link #51
kuromitsu

I don't dabble in the who-is-who reincarnation stuff until we know everything, so I won't go into that. However, Amata's thought process goes like this:

Obviously Kagura loves Mikono, but it's because of their past life. He doesn't know the present Mikono at all, hell, he still calls her Sylphie even though he probably already knows that her name is Mikono. But Amata, who knows nothing about the past "Mikono" (Sylphie), loves Mikono for being Mikono and not because she's Sylphie. That's what he meant by saying fate and reincarnations don't matter for him.

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2012-05-27 at 16:22.
Old 2012-05-27, 16:17   Link #52
Yusei Fudo
Banned

Glad Zessica is alright, but if she doesn't get the love she deserves, I am seriously going to be pissed. =_=
Old 2012-05-27, 16:18   Link #53
bastek66

This anime won't end well. Mark my words, we all will be raging.
Old 2012-05-27, 16:25   Link #54
finalfury
Incognito

Since Mykage is most likely gonna choose Zessica as an element for Aquarion, the question of why would he choose her is made since Kagura is a likely candidate, Amata(Mykage can use him, all he needs to do is say four words: I Will Kill Mikono), Mikono(if she can't stop Kagura, stopping Mykage is impossible, and Mykage himself can be a candidate.
Old 2012-05-27, 16:36   Link #55
Zuul

I can see a MikonoxAmataxKagura suicide gattai at the end to save both Altea and Vega, but I won't even feel sad about it.
Old 2012-05-27, 16:42   Link #56
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
I don't dabble in the who-is-who reincarnation stuff until we know everything, so I won't go into that. However, Amata's thought process goes like this:

Obviously Kagura loves Mikono, but it's because of their past life. He doesn't know the present Mikono at all, hell, he still calls her Sylphie even though he probably already knows that her name is Mikono. But Amata, who knows nothing about the past "Mikono" (Sylphie), loves Mikono for being Mikono and not because she's Sylphie. That's what he meant by saying fate and reincarnations don't matter for him.
I'm going to take a gander at this but I think the reason it doesn't make sense to some is because the basis of their interactions was in many ways *fated meeting* and, by virtue of some either poorly chosen or poorly choreographed scenes, his initial interaction with Mikono reeks of *at first sight* and the their dates have always been accompanied by rich imagery or word choice: fate on their date in 5, the movie playing as a backdrop to their date in 12, and Mikono regularly overlapping Kagura with Amata and Amata with Kagura.

I know what they are trying to do but I don't think they did it in a very convincing manner. Fighting fate is much more commonly formed, filmed, and presented as:
-Guy fated to be with girl falls for another girl and turns over fate to be with her.
Not:
-Guy fated to be with girl, falls for said girl for reason X, and fights himself who believes in reason Y, about who and why he should claim the girl he is fated for.

Its a really weird sequence they are following and it gets worse with Zessica literally being made to suffer on the sidelines for trying to actually fight fate as in case one but sort of backwards.
Old 2012-05-27, 16:54   Link #57
finalfury
Incognito

Zessica is reminding me of the "tragic heroes" in Greek Mythology so
expect her to be the tragic heroine of Aquarion Evol.
Old 2012-05-27, 17:00   Link #58
mayumi

Another problem is Kagura or the dark half of Amata if Apollo initally rejected the fact that he is apollonius's reincarnation suddenly is all hey the only reason i love smelly wench cause she is reincarnation just rubs me off wrong. Apollo was not a retard regardless of his behaviour. He choose to love his barbarian amazon princess as silvia. so suddenly half of his soul claiming that he likes mikono cause of destiny is also BS.
Old 2012-05-27, 17:07   Link #59
pingva

Quote:
Another problem is Kagura or the dark half of Amata if Apollo initally rejected the fact that he is apollonius's reincarnation suddenly is all hey the only reason i love smelly wench cause she is reincarnation just rubs me off wrong. Apollo was not a retard regardless of his behaviour. He choose to love his barbarian amazon princess as silvia. so suddenly half of his soul claiming that he likes mikono cause of destiny is also BS.
It's just shows that the writing is bad in some places.
Old 2012-05-27, 17:11   Link #60
kuromitsu

Quote:
Mikono regularly overlapping Kagura with Amata and Amata with Kagura.
That was because they're technically the same person (even though practically they're different individuals) and Mikono sensed this as the Sylphie in her reacted to Kagura. IIRC it was you who discussed this last time, no?

Quote:
I know what they are trying to do but I don't think they did it in a very convincing manner. Fighting fate is much more commonly formed, filmed, and presented as: ...
Never let it be said that Evol falls back on clichés when it comes to destiny... Anyway, I won't comment on this because we still don't know all the details, and I'm sure there are still twists and turns waiting for us.

But I seriously don't understand why what Amata said doesn't make sense for people. Kagura loves Sylphie. Amata loves Mikono. It's not a question of whether they're in fact destined or not. For all we (and Amata) know, Kagura is the reincarnation of Apollon and Mikono is the reincarnation of Sylphie. Since Apollon and Sylphie belong together by destiny, Kagura and Mikono belong together by destiny. But Mikono is not "Sylphie" she's also Mikono, and Mikono is whom Amata loves, and he doesn't want to let Kagura take her just because they're destined to be together as their past lives. Amata is treating Kagura as the separate person that he is (despite his origins - really, at this point they're more like brothers, especially given their physical differences: Kagura is taller, has a similar but still different face, hair&eye color, etc). Maybe it was really fate that he met Mikono, maybe it was just a chance meeting (fwiw I always thought Amata's words in ep 5 were to be an ironic echo for the actual fated meeting of Kagura and Mikono). It doesn't really matter, that's not the point.

I'm not saying everything is made crystal clear here, as usual with Evol - no-one even stopped to think about the implications of Kagura and Amata being one in a way, though I suppose it makes sense given that Kagura didn't really give anyone time to stop and think about it. But currently it seems that Kagura is the actual "reincarnation" part of Amata's soul. If I were to speculate, I'd say "Apollon" was detached from Amata and made into Kagura, leaving Amata with only the physical attributes (the wings) but none of the memories. Essentially a "normal" person except for the wings.

(And tbh I'll believe that Zessica is fighting fate when she doesn't turn out to be the reincarnation of someone... and when she'll actually fight fate.)

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2012-05-27 at 17:33.
Closed Thread