AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-01, 11:09   Link #261
aegisofrime
Yuki Nagato Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
By "catch the sword with his fingers" I assume you mean that tired, cliched method where one pinches ones thumb and forefinger together to "catch" the sword and arrest its motion, similar to the result of Ichigo and Aizen's first encounter in Bleach. It was old then. Tanigawa's "just grab the blade" was much more original, and poweful, as it shows that Yuki has
little regard for her physical body. Especially when it comes to Kyon, even at this point in the story. And a sword? What's wrong with a knife? Not "macho" enough (author hasn't seen any good knife fights then)? Or does male!Asakura have "compensation issues"?

Yare, yare... This is why I avoid fanfic...
Agreed. Especially since this is pretty much the first time Yuki is showing her powers. The fact that she doesn't even finch hits you hard that she's definitely not human!
Old 2009-11-01, 11:18   Link #262
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
By "catch the sword with his fingers" I assume you mean that tired, cliched method where one pinches ones thumb and forefinger together to "catch" the sword and arrest its motion, similar to the result of Ichigo and Aizen's first encounter in Bleach. It was old then. Tanigawa's "just grab the blade" was much more original, and poweful, as it shows that Yuki has
little regard for her physical body. Especially when it comes to Kyon, even at this point in the story. And a sword? What's wrong with a knife? Not "macho" enough (author hasn't seen any good knife fights then)? Or does male!Asakura have "compensation issues"?

Yare, yare... This is why I avoid fanfic...
You know it is not here you should be complaning right? By the way, the only reason for being a sword is because of fanart. The original one has a sword, and since then, most have a sword as well.

Anyway, I don't see why Melancholy is absolutelly horrible when it comes to Nagato. She, like all other SOS members, has some nice scenes there (Ryouko fight, the visit to the library and the original exposition). Books horrible to Nagato are Sighs and Boredom, in my opinion (some good scenes, but nothing really worthnote)
Old 2009-11-01, 11:50   Link #263
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Nagato is simply "there" in Melancholy. There's only two or three lines that actually hint that she's more than just a walking plot device.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-11-01, 11:58   Link #264
Heatth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Nagato is simply "there" in Melancholy. There's only two or three lines that actually hint that she's more than just a walking plot device.
I know. But said lines are very important anyway. I believe this was the best way to use her prior to Disappearance.
Old 2009-11-01, 22:56   Link #265
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Nagato: Kyon gets into danger, needs a rabbit pulled out of a hat, or needs some hard science exposition -- plot device.
Itsuki: Kyon gets too comfortable with his heterosexuality or needs some pop science exposition -- plot device.
Arakawa: Itsuki needs to be driven somewhere -- plot device.
Mikuru: Kyon needs tea, fanservice, a lack of exposition, or to time travel -- plot device.
Taniguchi, Kunikida: Haruhi or Kyon needs a couple of warm bodies -- plot device.
Tsuruya: Kyon needs real help outside the SOS-dan -- plot device.
Haruhi: The story needs plot -- plot device.
Kyon: The reader needs to know what's going on -- plot device.

When you get down to it, most of the characters in this series are little more than plot devices. But it still works. That's the beauty of the series.
Old 2009-11-01, 23:10   Link #266
DmitryEV

Send a message via ICQ to DmitryEV
Quote:
Nagato: Kyon gets into danger, needs a rabbit pulled out of a hat, or needs some hard science exposition -- plot device.
Itsuki: Kyon gets too comfortable with his heterosexuality or needs some pop science exposition -- plot device.
Arakawa: Itsuki needs to be driven somewhere -- plot device.
Mikuru: Kyon needs tea, fanservice, a lack of exposition, or to time travel -- plot device.
Taniguchi, Kunikida: Haruhi or Kyon needs a couple of warm bodies -- plot device.
Tsuruya: Kyon needs real help outside the SOS-dan -- plot device.
Haruhi: The story needs plot -- plot device.
Kyon: The reader needs to know what's going on -- plot device.

When you get down to it, most of the characters in this series are little more than plot devices. But it still works. That's the beauty of the series.
+

Ryoko: Kyon needs to be in danger of death -- plot device.
Old 2009-11-02, 00:28   Link #267
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Except the others, with the exception of Kunikida(who doesn't serve any purpose) are actually given something of a personality. Nagato really doesn't develop one until... somewhere between BLR and Sigh.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2009-11-02, 06:46   Link #268
Heatth

Quote:
Except the others, with the exception of Kunikida(who doesn't serve any purpose) are actually given something of a personality. Nagato really doesn't develop one until... somewhere between BLR and Sigh.
Well, Kunikida has some purpose. He is Kyon's friend since middle school, so his purpose is talk about Kyon's life at middle school (as Taniguchi does the same for Haruhi). Yeah, he don't do that very often, however, if was no for him, we wouldn't know Kyo "aways liked weird girls". I would say his sole purpose is say that line.

About Nagato, I can't belive ou are talking it! Sure, not very important development, but still, her personality is present since Melancholy. You just need to pay attention on her lines in the last chapter and epilogue.
Old 2009-11-08, 00:08   Link #269
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Send a message via MSN to Jonbob0008
To be fair, Tanigawa needed more time to figure out where he wanted to go with Nagato. Once he did, he fell in love with the character. It's not easy characterizing someone who initially doesn't have much to work with in personality.
Old 2009-11-08, 00:19   Link #270
Heatth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonbob0008 View Post
To be fair, Tanigawa needed more time to figure out where he wanted to go with Nagato. Once he did, he fell in love with the character. It's not easy characterizing someone who initially doesn't have much to work with in personality.
As I said, I don't believe she was suppose to have a personality in the first place. It is not like it was hard to him do characterizing her, he didn't want to. At last, not initially. Her development wouldn't be so interesting if it wasn't that way. She comes from a blank canvas to a beaultiful painting.
Old 2009-11-08, 00:23   Link #271
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Send a message via MSN to Jonbob0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
As I said, I don't believe she was suppose to have a personality in the first place. It is not like it was hard to him do characterizing her, he didn't want to. At last, not initially. Her development wouldn't be so interesting if it wasn't that way. She comes from a blank canvas to a beaultiful painting.
Perhaps, considering that there wasn't originally meant to be anymore than one book. Or maybe he wanted a character who was similar to Rei Ayanami and others of her ilk. It's hard to know. Still, I think her role was still well done, regardless of the fact that she wasn't terribly dynamic at the time.
Old 2009-11-08, 00:31   Link #272
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
This is what I think...

Spoiler for Some mild spoiler-esque speculation:
Old 2009-11-13, 21:37   Link #273
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Y'know... you'd think there'd be more discussion here, given the movie and all.

Hm... With glasses or without? Which look looks better for Nagato?
Old 2009-11-13, 21:40   Link #274
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Y'know... you'd think there'd be more discussion here, given the movie and all.

Hm... With glasses or without? Which look looks better for Nagato?
I prefer the glasses myself.

But, to perhaps spark some more discussion here...

I finally got back to my Top 10 Favorite Anime Characters of All-Time Countdown list, over on my anime blog.

And guess who made No. 7?

Hope Nagato fans like the write-up...

http://assessingtheanime.blogspot.co...ki-nagato.html
Old 2009-11-13, 21:45   Link #275
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

... While I'll let you slide, due to 7 being lucky... you're a dead man if I don't agree with any of your remaining choices.
Old 2009-11-13, 21:50   Link #276
Heatth

Quote:
... While I'll let you slide, due to 7 being lucky... you're a dead man if I don't agree with any of your remaining choices.
Wait, can you agree with Nagato not being in the top? Hmmm, knowing Triple, I believe Haruhi is somewhere above it. If there is a Haruhi characeter in that list, Suzumiya Haruhi is in the top of them, I believe.
Old 2009-11-13, 22:03   Link #277
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
Wait, can you agree with Nagato not being in the top? Hmmm, knowing Triple, I believe Haruhi is somewhere above it. If there is a Haruhi characeter in that list, Suzumiya Haruhi is in the top of them, I believe.
You'll have to wait and see if your guess is correct, Heatth.
Old 2009-11-13, 22:14   Link #278
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

For some reason, Kamina being beneath Yuki on that last makes me envision that he is encouraging her to surpass him.

"Yuki! Do not believe in yourself! Believe in Kyon who doesn't believe in anything!"

At any rate, we've discussed Nagato at length directly, so you know my feelings about the character, I thought that you did a pretty thorough job of describing the character without breaking into spoiler territory: that is to say, to take the character assessment any further, you'd be obliged to reference novel materials. Bravo.
Old 2009-11-13, 22:21   Link #279
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Controversy View Post
For some reason, Kamina being beneath Yuki on that last makes me envision that he is encouraging her to surpass him.

"Yuki! Do not believe in yourself! Believe in Kyon who doesn't believe in anything!"
LOL! Nice way of putting it, Ricky.

Quote:

At any rate, we've discussed Nagato at length directly, so you know my feelings about the character, I thought that you did a pretty thorough job of describing the character without breaking into spoiler territory: that is to say, to take the character assessment any further, you'd be obliged to reference novel materials. Bravo.
Thanks!

Glad you enjoyed the write-up. I wanted to do a good job of looking at all the qualities that Nagato adds to this anime, and I hope that came through well.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya really wouldn't be the same with out her.
Old 2009-11-13, 22:30   Link #280
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya really wouldn't be the same with out her.
Well, you know, it occurs to me--or perhaps I've thought this but am just now articulating it--that Yuki, like the rest of the S.O.S. Brigade members, is a foil to Haruhi not just in the sense of acting to contain her, but each one of them has a personality that balances out one particular element of Haruhi's very forceful persona.

In Yuki's case, her stoic elegance provides the foil of patience, thoughtfulness and above all conciseness to Haruhi, who is not just brash, but also tends to be excessive and inefficient. For all of her manifold talents, one thing constantly eludes Haruhi, and that is the ability to apply just the right amount of force in a situation. Her attitude is 'all or nothing', all the time. (Not that this is a mark against her.)

Yuki, meanwhile, carefully considers her options, makes an informed judgment about what is exactly sufficient, and acts accordingly. This is part of her refined, elegant charm. Nothing she does is without purpose or thought. To pull in very simplified characters for ease of comparison, Yuki would be the Byakuya to Haruhi's Kenpachi.

Tags
characters