AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2014-04-06, 02:39   Link #4521
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

Things like that were why I first got interested in SAO.

Then, after a huge round of worldbuilding with side stories, backstories, and elaboration, Kawahara threw it away for a harem plot, OPMC and 16.5.

I'm just saying, I feel that he could have made it a lot more deeper and still sell.
Tusjecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 02:46   Link #4522
Trung-t-rung

Well, the first thing I thought after reading SAO sypnosis is basically Gantz with sword and video game.
Trung-t-rung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 02:49   Link #4523
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

I won't comment on Gantz because I've never seen anything from it (I did hear of it because of the second live-action movie) but SAO to me, excuse the cliche, captured me with its tagline: "This is a game, but it isn't played." After I sat down, finished the first volume, I thought the author had a serious issue with the way gamers were treated, actually.

Then I went on to the Fairy Dance arc, and quickly lost all respect I had accumulated in the Aincrad volume.
Tusjecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 12:11   Link #4524
c933103
FTNR

..you know 16.5 is on doujin corner and side story are written later alongside main storyline's development. (OPMC?
c933103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 00:16   Link #4525
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by c933103 View Post
..you know 16.5 is on doujin corner and side story are written later alongside main storyline's development.
Pretty sure that was the least of his concerns about the series anyway.

Quote:
OPMC?
Over Powered MC?

All in all, I agree with Tusjecht. The first volume is at least somewhat interesting. The rest is just pandering. Well, maybe except Mother's Rosario, since it focus and Asuna and it's a more character driven story than Kirito's shenanigans, so at least it's kinda worth reading. But that's about it.
Old 2014-04-07, 01:47   Link #4526
HasuMasu
*Artist

The first volume was the most disappointing. That's what <<Progressive>> is for...
Old 2014-04-07, 01:52   Link #4527
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masuzu View Post
The first volume was the most disappointing.
And even then it's almost the only decent one.
Old 2014-04-07, 02:31   Link #4528
HasuMasu
*Artist

No really I even like the third volume more.
Old 2014-04-07, 03:18   Link #4529
l.kostas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
The first volume is at least somewhat interesting. The rest is just pandering. Well, maybe except Mother's Rosario, since it focus and Asuna and it's a more character driven story than Kirito's shenanigans, so at least it's kinda worth reading. But that's about it.
http://www.sutoraikuanime.com/2013/0...hara-reki.html

Question: Asuna is a bit of a tricky character. She starts off as an incredibly strong fighter, important to the political system of Sword Art Online. But in Alfheim Online, she is caged and sexually assaulted. What would you say to the critics who find her role problematic, especially given the often misogynistic climate of anime and gaming?

Kawahara: As I said previously, the character of Asuna I might have created a little too perfectly for Sword Art Online. When teamed up with Kirito, there were hardly any problems the two as a pair could not overcome. In order to increase the sense of urgency during the Fairy Dance story arc, I needed to have her be unable to help Kirito and in caging her, I do have some regrets about putting her in the situation in order to build up the sense of danger for Kirito's adventure in the Fairy Dance arc. As recompense internally, I made a story as a followup called Mother's Rosario where Asuna was the main character. Should there be more animation, I would really like to see that story depicted.
l.kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 03:35   Link #4530
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

From what I understand, SAO was originally a one-off story. It wasn't written with a sequel in mind, and Fairy Dance essentially was the result of Kawahara having wrote himself into a corner. I can't really fault him for that, however subpar Fairy Dance was. God knows I've wrote myself into a corner often enough when I wrote stories.
Old 2014-04-07, 19:49   Link #4531
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
And even then it's almost the only decent one.
Really? I thought the 7th volume, Mother's Rosario was the best of all of the volumes so far - I usually take that volume as a sign that the writer has gotten better. Partly, it might be because the writer breaks with quite a few conventions with that story, but Asuna's character and PoV was very convincingly written.

I really wonder - when people claim that the first volume is the only decent one, do they have the disastrous trainwreck that was Fairy Dance in mind? Or are they condemning all the other subsequent arcs (GGO, Mother's Rosario, Alicization ) for being just as bad? Every-time I see the assertion that everything after the first two volumes suck, I keep seeing the discussion framed on Fairy Dance/ALO . I've seen very few people actually explaining why every arc after Fairy Dance suck, even if they manage to convincingly explain why Fairy Dance sucks. In-fact, if someone could direct me to an actual , comprehensive critique, on say, Mother's Rosario or Alicization, it would be interesting. The main sin I can see with the other arcs, is Kawahara's habit of continually adding girls to the story.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 19:52   Link #4532
BW95
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
WOW. That is weird. That's like seeing the classical vampire walking around in broad daylight.
BW95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-08, 03:17   Link #4533
c933103
FTNR

Dengeki updated that, the novel named as "Absolute solitude" (絶対ナル孤独) in web age, its publish date had been confirmed as the upcoming June, and named as 絶対ナル孤独者《アイソレータ》 (word to word translate would probably be: Absolute Null Isolator)
---------------
Illustration: http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/000/836/836206/
---------------
Description obtained via 2ch:
「はい! いっぱい、いっぱ――い、食べてね!」
「ちょっ、の、典江さん、僕もう子供じゃないんですから」
「照れなくてもいいのよ、みーくんは私のダンナさんみたいな……」
「みたいなもんでもありませんから!」

二〇一九年九月上旬。
地球上に、人類が初めて接触する地球外有機生命体が複数落下した。
真紅(ルビー)と漆黒(ジェット)。
後にそう呼ばれる来訪者たちはあまりに小さく、また知性と呼べるものも有していなかったため、直接接触した 人間たちでさえ、その意味を深く考えようとはしなかった。
しかし彼らは、やがて気付く。
自らが、特殊な能力に目覚めようとしていることに。

とある事情で義姉の由水典江と二人暮らしの少年、空木ミノル。
彼は、他人に自分の記憶が残ることを拒む、《孤独》を愛する人間だった。

《接触者》の一人でもある彼が、ただ一つ望み、得た能力。
それは、物理的な孤独を作り出す力。

本来の望みとはかけ離れたその力を得てしまったがゆえに、ミノルは非日常への闘争へと巻き込ま れていく。
平凡だが平穏な義姉との暮らしが壊されそうになったとき、ついにミノルは絶対的なる《孤独者(アイソレータ )》として覚醒する――!

『AW』『SAO』の川原礫によって描かれたウェブ小説、その最後の作品がついに登場!
絶対ナル孤独者《アイソレータ》 第一章 咀嚼者 -The Biter-
2014年6月10日発売――!

Last edited by c933103; 2014-04-09 at 20:07.
Old 2014-04-10, 04:02   Link #4534
AP24

Any spoilers on vol 14?
AP24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-10, 04:44   Link #4535
hamazura
whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusjecht View Post
Things like that were why I first got interested in SAO.

Then, after a huge round of worldbuilding with side stories, backstories, and elaboration, Kawahara threw it away for a harem plot, OPMC and 16.5.

I'm just saying, I feel that he could have made it a lot more deeper and still sell.
agree.

anyone who watched episode 1 sao will definitely "WOW!" and then after episode 3 onwards, its either disappointed or awaking your inner harem-lover self

for me, SAO arc just awesome until first boss, and then become lovey dovey shit harem, i dont even know why im continuing... and then fairy dance is just worse, again, i dont know why im not stop reading GGO is decent for me, mother rosario is about friendship and all, its good for SoL lover i think (not me). and alicization is master piece... just hope kawahara wont throw ALL IN for harem plot, OPMC, and 16.5 AGAIN like in web novel....

actually in :there is one but ultimate way: is already harem 16.5 ending just for kirito.... so, i wont expecting much....
Old 2014-04-10, 04:48   Link #4536
c933103
FTNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamazura View Post
agree.

anyone who watched episode 1 sao will definitely "WOW!" and then after episode 3 onwards, its either disappointed or awaking your inner harem-lover self

for me, SAO arc just awesome until first boss, and then become lovey dovey shit harem, i dont even know why im continuing... and then fairy dance is just worse, again, i dont know why im not stop reading GGO is decent for me, mother rosario is about friendship and all, its good for SoL lover i think (not me). and alicization is master piece... just hope kawahara wont throw ALL IN for harem plot, OPMC, and 16.5 AGAIN like in web novel....

actually in :there is one but ultimate way: is already harem 16.5 ending just for kirito.... so, i wont expecting much....
..this description is non-chronological...
Old 2014-04-10, 04:49   Link #4537
c933103
FTNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP24 View Post
Any spoilers on vol 14?
Spoiler for Spoiler:
Old 2014-04-10, 05:51   Link #4538
AP24

Quote:
Spoiler for Spoiler:
So has Vol 14 reached WEB Chapter 7's ending?
AP24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-10, 06:06   Link #4539
c933103
FTNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP24 View Post
So has Vol 14 reached WEB Chapter 7's ending?
Spoiler for well, i'm just judging from a few extracted illustration, but:
Old 2014-04-10, 09:18   Link #4540
gensouR-1

Quote:
Spoiler for Spoiler:
wait,65%+ web chapter 7?,is there another cliffhanger?

Waiting for Sita pickup

No matter what choice they make,humans will find a reason to regret,so in other words,there is no choice without regret,what's important is your heart's true feelings
gensouR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, harem, kirito, non-harem, possible harem, romance, shounen, tragedy, virtual reality