AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-10-27, 14:59   Link #41
musouka

The Hetalia MAD community is pretty closeted, but this was too cool not to share.

For those of you with NicoNico Douga accounts, enjoy this Hetalia version of the Ghost in the Shell 2nd gig OP.
ずっと変りはしない
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-29, 23:32   Link #42
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist

^ saw that video, and wow it was awesome *_* Those fans who did it are so talented
sapphire-pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-30, 01:54   Link #43
Kenn
Stomp

Hungary is so cute >3 Fujioshi-ness (i think i spelt that wrong)

*crosses fingers for a good anime adaption*

http://k625.blogspot.com/ - Kenn's blog of random everythings
Kenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-30, 12:31   Link #44
musouka

The offical page has been updated with seiyuu info and character pictures.

Italy: Namikawa Daisuke
Germany: Yasumoto Hiroki
Japan: Takahashi Hiroki
America: Konishi Katsuyuki
United Kingdom: Sugiyama Noriaki
France: Onosaka Masaya
Russia: Takato Yasuhiro
Austria: Sasanuma Akira
Lithuania: Takeuchi Ken
Hungary: Neya Michiko
Switzerland: Paku Romi
Liechtenstein: Kugimiya Rie
Poland: ???

Interesting choice for Liechtenstein...
ずっと変りはしない
Old 2008-10-30, 13:54   Link #45
domino
デレデレ

So Switzerland and Liechtenstein (who are siblings) happen to be played by Paku Romi and Kugimiya Rie, who are famous as the siblings Edward and Alphonse Elric .... this should be good.
And with Hawkeye's voice actor as Hungary, I feel overwhelmed by FMA-related joy. :P

I love Hungary and Hawkeye so I'm really happy with this announcement!
domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-30, 19:57   Link #46
TigerII
Pilot in Training

So what exactly goes on in this manga? Do the various 'nations' get inf ights representative of WWII or do they just do random things? Does the author lash out at nations(Such as fat stupid America, drunk vicious Russians, murderous Germans, etc) or does the author just keep it funny and friendly?
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-30, 20:12   Link #47
domino
デレデレ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerII View Post
So what exactly goes on in this manga? Do the various 'nations' get inf ights representative of WWII or do they just do random things? Does the author lash out at nations(Such as fat stupid America, drunk vicious Russians, murderous Germans, etc) or does the author just keep it funny and friendly?
It doesn't stay in WWII time all the time and just kind of goes all over the world and its history. The author takes interesting pieces of real history or news and makes comics about them, and it always stays funny and friendly. Examples of odd things I learned from hetalia: that the small nation of Sealand tried to sell itself on eBay, that Americans once distributed free oversized condoms to Russians to lower their morale, and that there was a rumor that some Russian soldiers once jumped out of planes with no parachutes because the snow below "looked so soft". It's all hilarious.
domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-30, 20:15   Link #48
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

I think the FMA references don't stop with the voice acting. Since ol' Switzerland isn't very big, three guesses as to whether he'll go berserk whenever the other countries call him "small" or "short".

Again, Liechtenstein seemed to be doing better than Switzerland in the banking/finance sector. Another analogy to Alphonse's skills over Ed?
Old 2008-10-30, 20:15   Link #49
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
So it is basically a gag on international stereotypes using pretty boys.
Old 2008-10-30, 20:21   Link #50
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
So it is basically a gag on international stereotypes using pretty boys.
Handsome lads, shota boys, and a tomboy girl, in Hungary.

I think the gags are concentrated in the conversations compared to the appearances. I looked at some yonkomas of the series, and can't really stand the art.
Old 2008-10-30, 22:19   Link #51
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerII View Post
Does the author lash out at nations(Such as fat stupid America, drunk vicious Russians, murderous Germans, etc) or does the author just keep it funny and friendly?
The author pokes fun, but it's always pretty gentle. No single country is "evil"--though Russia is, uh, yandere--and they all have their good and bad points. I think it's hard to really dislike any country in the series. I have my favorites, but I love everyone to some degree.
ずっと変りはしない
Old 2008-10-30, 22:40   Link #52
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

My favorite is this strip: "Americans suck at geography"

http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/a_i6.htm

Last koma
America: So where's Japan again?
England: Arg, Americans!

And http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/a_i14.htm

Heaven is when...
The cook is French
The police officer is British
The engineer is German
The banker is Swiss
And the lover is Italian

Hell is when...
The cook is British
The police officer is German
The engineer is French
The lover is Swiss
And the banker is Italian
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-31, 01:41   Link #53
Kenn
Stomp

Hmm. Looking at the characters...and it seems there are a few female characters?

Hungary is the only one I know that is a girl...

but it seems Liechtenstein, Belarus, and Belgium are also girls? Does anyone know about these 3? xD Belgium looks like a genki character though. >D

Old 2008-10-31, 02:25   Link #54
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist

I so love the FMA and Hetalia connections xD I can imagine Hetalia become as epic and as popular as FMA once its anime airs xD Kyaaaa!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980 View Post
My favorite is this strip: "Americans suck at geography"

http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/a_i6.htm

Last koma
America: So where's Japan again?
England: Arg, Americans!

And http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/a_i14.htm

Heaven is when...
The cook is French
The police officer is British
The engineer is German
The banker is Swiss
And the lover is Italian

Hell is when...
The cook is British
The police officer is German
The engineer is French
The lover is Swiss
And the banker is Italian
I've read the first comic, but I didn't know about the second one xD Thanks for the translation So funny!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenn View Post
Hmm. Looking at the characters...and it seems there are a few female characters?.....but it seems Liechtenstein, Belarus, and Belgium are also girls? Does anyone know about these 3? xD Belgium looks like a genki character though. >D
yeah, few females indeed ^^; but they also rock xD Yeah tomboy Hungary!!! xD Out of the three you mentioned, I've only read a scanlation with Liechtenstein. She's Switzerland's very adorable sister xD
sapphire-pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-31, 02:59   Link #55
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenn View Post
Hmm. Looking at the characters...and it seems there are a few female characters?
Hungary, Liechtenstein, Seychelles, Ukraine, Belarus, Taiwan, and Belgium are all girls.

Hungary is the most major female character. She's completely in love with Austria--I absolutely love them as a couple, btw--very tomboyish with fujoshi-tendencies. As her profile says, she's definitely the most manly character in the series.

Liechtenstein has been showing up more frequently. She's Switzerland's soft-spoken younger sister. Unfortunately for her, she wears a ribbon after she was mistaken for Switzerland's younger brother when she cut her hair short and began dressing like him.

Seychelles was the main character of the Hetalia school-version game. I haven't played it so I can't tell you much about her personality.

As for the rest, I'm not sure they've shown up within the comics themselves. Actually, to be fair, I'm pretty sure Belarus has, but I don't remember where. Her profile is probably more helpful in that respect, since it says she has a sharp mien, but she sends her overbearing love to Russia even without getting much of a response in return. Also, she's Russia's "younger sister", while Ukraine is Russia's "older sister". Taiwan is described as strong-willed and fashionable. Belgium, I don't remember ever seeing and she has no profile description, so...
ずっと変りはしない
Old 2008-10-31, 03:57   Link #56
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Austria and Hungary used to be a singular political entity known as Hapsburg Empire which was destroyed after the Great War. So the mangaka was correct making Hungary girl liked Austrian guy very much. They used to be one.
Old 2008-10-31, 08:33   Link #57
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Do they take old rivalries in this? I suppose Romania and Hungary don't get along(In the real war, the Germans had to keep these troops separated from each other on the Eastern front), etc?

Also, do the Axis and Allies powers ever intermix?

And lol at the American in that excerpt. That is a very true statement. Many Americans are horrible at geography. I went to school with people who couldn't label all fifty states.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-31, 08:44   Link #58
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Well, if you want more details, the Hapsburg Empire became known as Austria-Hungary from 1867 to 1918. After the defeat of the Austrian Empire in 1866 at Sadowa (one of many names for this battle), Hungary demanded equal status in the Empire. Hence, Franz Joseph, the Emperor of Austria, became the King of Hungary, and Hungarians earned the right to rule themselves.

Liechtenstein is a girl? Hmmm... with the FMA references, I thought that she'll be a boy. I hope she doesn't go "urusai x 3!"

Belarus and the Ukarine are also ladies? Hmmm... Russia....
Old 2008-10-31, 09:15   Link #59
Kenn
Stomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
Hungary, Liechtenstein, Seychelles, Ukraine, Belarus, Taiwan, and Belgium are all girls.

Hungary is the most major female character. She's completely in love with Austria--I absolutely love them as a couple, btw--very tomboyish with fujoshi-tendencies. As her profile says, she's definitely the most manly character in the series.

Liechtenstein has been showing up more frequently. She's Switzerland's soft-spoken younger sister. Unfortunately for her, she wears a ribbon after she was mistaken for Switzerland's younger brother when she cut her hair short and began dressing like him.

Seychelles was the main character of the Hetalia school-version game. I haven't played it so I can't tell you much about her personality.

As for the rest, I'm not sure they've shown up within the comics themselves. Actually, to be fair, I'm pretty sure Belarus has, but I don't remember where. Her profile is probably more helpful in that respect, since it says she has a sharp mien, but she sends her overbearing love to Russia even without getting much of a response in return. Also, she's Russia's "younger sister", while Ukraine is Russia's "older sister". Taiwan is described as strong-willed and fashionable. Belgium, I don't remember ever seeing and she has no profile description, so...
xD Thanks for clearing this up. The most manly character in the series isn't a man xD Btw my favourite line so far in the series is "Please leave, you second rate perverts". xD

Old 2008-10-31, 09:17   Link #60
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

To me, almost every word out of America's mouth is brilliant. Konishi Katsuyuki doing his air-headed voice = win.

Tags
comedy