AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-11-22, 18:57   Link #1
???
Unknown

What can we learn from the MOVIES directed by Hayao Miyazaki?(Studio Ghibli)

As I wait for the North American release of Howl's Moving castle,
I tought it would be cool to talk about its director Master Hayao Miyazaki.

To be honest, I have never been much of a fan of ANIME, but man,
that can can sure animate. And his mind is like a universe of incredible ideas.

His movies have a lot of heart, and to be honest they go way beyond on the animation
done for children (the audience he admits he aims for).

What do you guys think we could learn from this master.
Old 2004-11-22, 23:16   Link #2
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Number 1 lesson: Take care of the environment!

And flying is good.

The real lesson of course, is never to loose the imagination and sense of wonder that we had when we were children. As long as we keep our hearts and minds open everything becomes possible.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-11-22, 23:52   Link #3
wao
OK.

I also get the same message that one must keep their hearts and minds open... That you can find wonderous and lovely things around you even in simple things if you don't close your mind to everything and simply think about only your own problems. Also that nature itself has a lot of beauty to offer to you and you don't necessarily need the latest gadgets to wow or amaze you...

He also really gets the wonder of flying across. I like all the flying scenes that he directs...

I also learn a lot about animating people just by looking at his films :P The way emotions and everything are brought across are great models to learn from if you ever want to be an animator.
Old 2004-11-22, 23:55   Link #4
Inuzuka
now with 20% more ego!

Send a message via MSN to Inuzuka
First of all, I learnt, or rather discovered, that Hayao Miyazaki is a genius

The messages from Nausicaa and Fireflys are, in my opinion, the most observable among his movies, protect your environment, stand up for what you believe is right and that wars are bad.

Ultimately I learnt that keeping an open mind and looking at things from various perspectives can help you see things (In general) in new ways and create fantastic innovation, such as Miyazaki did in the style of storytelling using animation as a medium.

Last edited by Inuzuka; 2004-11-23 at 00:07.
Old 2004-11-23, 00:01   Link #5
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Number 1 lesson: Flying is good.
LOL. Now that would be something I'd agree whole heartedly with. Although I don't go for the lazy, gentle flying you see in a lot of his works. My idea of flying is "if the wings ain't pealing off and if the body isn't about to break, you ain't going fast enough, or flying hard enough."

The child like emotional aspects of his films I think are what makes them the absolute best because even if you are old and feeble, he still finds a way into the child inside all of us and invites them out to play. ^_^
Old 2004-11-23, 00:53   Link #6
Aaron_b
The Missing Link

Well, Spirited Away was wonderful for me because it is as Miyazaki had once stated, "This film is for all of those who were once 10 years old, and for all of those who are going to be 10 years old" (or something like that, I believe). This movie brings so much into perspective, as a child and as an adult. Chihiro loses her name, her individuality, and must battle against everything she knows to get it back... paralleling that to the real world, one might say that it is a struggle that everyone faces in everyday life, the struggle to discover, maintain and develop that [integrity] which is exclusive to the Self. This is why I find that Hayao Miyazaki is a unique writer/director, it's because he can take something that at face value may at first appear rather unintentional and rather simple; but underneath, or rather as the film progresses, we come to find that the themes of the film are applicable to everyone and that the character motives are real and that the decisions the character personalities make are very real as well. Spirited Away is heartwarming in every way... Granted that when I saw it in theaters I was one of the oldest people there, it didn't matter, I got just as much out of that film as did the 10-year-old girl sitting directly behind me.

However, in the back of my mind I've always had this nagging disdain for Miyazaki because of the tyrannical way he goes about film production... Because if Ghibli didn't exist, there would be no studio on the face of the planet that would put up with what he does.
Old 2004-11-23, 01:52   Link #7
Sokar

I always wondered, do you actually learn from anime or do they simply just reinforce your views? I would seriously kill myself if I learned something profound from anime. IMO you can only learn life lessons by experiencing them, but that's just me.

Last edited by Sokar; 2004-11-23 at 01:52. Reason: Spelling
Old 2004-11-23, 02:21   Link #8
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuzuka
First of all, I learnt, or rather discovered, that Hayao Miyazaki is a genius

The messages from Nausicaa and Fireflys are, in my opinion, the most observable among his movies, protect your environment, stand up for what you believe is right and that wars are bad.

Ultimately I learnt that keeping an open mind and looking at things from various perspectives can help you see things (In general) in new ways and create fantastic innovation, such as Miyazaki did in the style of storytelling using animation as a medium.
Grave of the Fireflies was directed by Isao Takahata, not Hayao Miyazaki.
Old 2004-11-23, 03:27   Link #9
USCPharmacist

I learn that Power is everything and that if power is not enuf then you must relie on luck.

Also the true essence of Naausica is that is good to kill the enemies babies before they become trouble....

Also flying is good, but fan service is better...that's why all the animals in his films are naked!!!

(mysterious voice:"USCPharacist did you forget to take your Haldol today?)
Old 2004-11-23, 19:20   Link #10
Lady Yanami
There's always a catch...

Send a message via AIM to Lady Yanami Send a message via MSN to Lady Yanami

You can learn a lot from his movies. About nature and not to abuse it.
He creates stories and visions that fuel the imaginations of all. You never want to lose your imagination. When you lose that, you're a very boring individual. He keeps those imaginations from dying. He is definately one of the better artists and storytellers. And one of my favorite.
Old 2004-11-26, 21:01   Link #11
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Another lesson that many studio execs should learn is that if you give a talented person enough funding and enough freedom, they will make something absolutely amazing, that a committee of old men in suits who only think about the bottom dollar would never be able to come close to.