AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-06-12, 21:27   Link #621
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Fight is based off the Yamato: 2199 Battle of Pluto. As oppose to the original fight from the 1974 version. Using information from the currect series as much as possible.

If we had the proper ships it would look closer to the show, but those don't exist (retail) yet. Also affording around 65 (1/1000th scale) models from Japan would be rather pricey with the shipping costs.
Old 2012-06-13, 04:24   Link #622
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Fight is based off the Yamato: 2199 Battle of Pluto. As oppose to the original fight from the 1974 version. Using information from the currect series as much as possible..
I understand that; but what does this have to do with the discussion of the actual series? Sorry, if that sounds rude — it's just extremely peripheral — I'm just asking.

Last edited by August138; 2012-06-13 at 05:57.
August138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-13, 11:46   Link #623
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Seeing as there is no subforum for this series, everything gets into this one thread.

And since the talk from the episodes is slowed a bit due to the wait between releases, it is something to do that is related to the series.

Also it it good to get ideas.
Old 2012-06-17, 23:48   Link #624
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Tanaka Rie and Yamadera Koichi marry

and the fanart has started already....

(source: http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.p...st_id=28043321)

"Dessler's girlfriend is a Cosmo pilot....."

Plus I saw this as well...

(source:http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.p...st_id=28012959 )

I'm not entirely certain what is happening, but I have a feeling this is a holdover joke about Yuki's...poor coffee making skills.
Old 2012-06-18, 01:26   Link #625
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

This makes Rei's loyalty to the Starforce VERY questionable XD

Now if these two characters have a scene together, and they both record the dialogue, there's gonna be all this subtext!
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 01:56   Link #626
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Considering how Dessler is usually done, I doubt he'll have any lines with the crew other than possibly Kodai. At least in this series.
Old 2012-06-18, 02:12   Link #627
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Considering how Dessler is usually done, I doubt he'll have any lines with the crew other than possibly Kodai. At least in this series.
If it's like normal Japanese ADR sessions though, they'll all be in the same room anyway, even if the scenes are separated.

Might make for some hilarious ad-libbed outtakes though .
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 02:25   Link #628
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarkboy View Post
might make for some hilarious ad-libbed outtakes though .
hand over the white haired woman or you all die!
Old 2012-06-18, 02:38   Link #629
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I still haven't gotten a good listen to what Yamamoto's personality (voice style) will be like compared to other Tanaka roles. What little we heard in Episode 2 and the preview sounded like one of her more serious and perhaps darker in tone voice roles. And that could get really funny verses Dessler ad-libbed.

It is unfortunate that Yamamoto will likely not have an evil laugh. Tanaka has a wonderful evil laugh. Might be good for say, サーベラ Sabera (Invidia), if they get to a Yamato 2201. At that point she would play against Dessler.

In other news:
The episode descriptions updated today on the main site with some pictures:
http://yamato2199.net/story/story_03.html
http://yamato2199.net/story/story_04.html
http://yamato2199.net/story/story_05.html
http://yamato2199.net/story/story_06.html

I see familiar things, and unfamiliar things. I also see things that look very interesting.

Also some mechanical things we've seen before...but never in action.

Also the folded Cosmo Zero reminds me of the Cosmo Pulsars in the Resurrection movie.

I also now see why they pointed out that Yamato has searchlights.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-06-18 at 03:22. Reason: Yamato2199.net update.
Ithekro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 05:24   Link #630
macdawson

I love that picture of Makoto stalking Analizer. Makes me wonder if the good old perv is in for some payback. XDDD
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 06:29   Link #631
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

ep 3: It looks like someone did the research on what a laser pistol would actually look like!

ep4: Why is nurse girl hiding behind the robot? Also, TANK YOU!

ep5: Seems like pigtails and glasses girl get some attention. Also, Rei gets her flight bomber jacket

ep6:AIR RAID it looks like
Old 2012-06-18, 09:07   Link #632
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
ep 3: It looks like someone did the research on what a laser pistol would actually look like!
Sorry but what you are looking at in the synopsis is the legendary launch trigger of the Wave Motion Gun(波動砲) not a pee wee pistol.
By the way the laser pistols that most Yamato crew are issued are called type 14 cosmos gun and the assault rifles are called AK-01 Laser automatic assault rifles(AK-01 レーザー自動突撃銃).
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 09:48   Link #633
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
Sorry but what you are looking at in the synopsis is the legendary launch trigger of the Wave Motion Gun(波動砲) not a pee wee pistol.
By the way the laser pistols that most Yamato crew are issued are called type 14 cosmos gun and the assault rifles are called AK-01 Laser automatic assault rifles(AK-01 レーザー自動突撃銃).
Oh, I see.

...wait, why does the trigger for the Wave Motion gun have a little optical sight on it?
Old 2012-06-18, 13:01   Link #634
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Prehaps a laser indicator to show were of the larger target scope the gun will hit.

On the other hand, it might be a leftover from their older Bow Guns that had narrow beams. If I recall, the first time they used the Wave Motion Gun they were quite surprised by how effective it was. So surprised they got a little worried about using it later on.

As for Makoto hiding behind Analyzer? Well with the large increase in the number of women you have to wonder where his um, perversions will focus. She is the only one with something on that isn't the standard one piece uniform. Assuming his personality remains intact from before.

With the larger number of women, Yuki doesn't have to be the one on the various missions all the time anymore. Makoto is the nurse role so Yuki doesn't have to do that one anymore. With Yuria, she doesn't have to be on the bridge 24/7 (or more accurately, they will have the radar station manned all the time rather than having it empty when Yuki is off doing one of her many other duties). Kaoru fills in the analysis section and possibly crew mental health. And Yamamoto fills the fight role (that Yuki had in the Live Action film only).

The question will remain...will Yuki still be the heart of the unit. Judging by how she's presented as a main character, the answer is likely yes.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-06-18 at 14:37.
Old 2012-06-18, 22:13   Link #635
August138

Izubuchi has stated that Analyzer will not be copping feels or flipping skirts in this version.
Old 2012-06-18, 22:24   Link #636
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

That may be, but recall those scenes were cut out of Star Blazers, yet IQ-9's intention were only slightly more noble than Analyzer's in the translation. Though they also cut his "drinking" habit, and had to come up with a reason for his odd behavior.

Analyzer, even without skirt flipping or copping feels, was very protective of Yuki. Somewhat more protective of her than even Kodai was. We'll just have to see if he does the same with the other women.

It will depend on how human they intend for him to be.
Old 2012-06-18, 23:15   Link #637
August138

It's not "that may be", it is a matter of fact ("Star Blazers" is a watered-down version of the original and is not canon in regard to 2199): Izubuchi said that the lecherous Analyzer is gone. That was my point. I didn't come to debate semantics concering his affection towards Yuki in the original. We'll have to see what they have in mind for 2199, which has yet to be seen.
Old 2012-06-18, 23:39   Link #638
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Hmmm. I can already tell some people will be disappointed that their horny robot won't be his old self.

I don't particularly care since growing up with the "watered-down" version means the robot wasn't particularly lecherous. That and I usually cared more about the ships than anything else. Other than the story that is.

My main concern now seems the be techological and the Gamilas. Despite nearly destroying the Earth, as the series went on I came to like the Gamilas to a point and I'm curious as to how they will be handled this time around. That and Dessler had one of the better Attack Themes in the show.
Old 2012-06-19, 01:26   Link #639
August138

What I'm talking about are people (chiefly Americans) who get caught up in STAR BLAZERS-isms, and can't seem to wrap their heads around the fact that the Japanese producers of 2199 are not going to play to their expectations. This seems to be some of the on-going conversations out there; trying to fit the proverbial square pegs into the round holes, as it were. Meanwhile, I was a fan before BLAZERS, so I'm not especially invested in any of those trappings.
Old 2012-06-19, 02:14   Link #640
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I'm not sure if it is that they can't wrap their heads around those facts, as it is more they don't care to even try.

A large number of said fans are older than I am and did not get into anime as a Japanese thing. It was a cartoon on television for many of them. Those that did get into other dubbed Japanese productions stopped watching "Japanimation" around 1990 or so because the art styles looked bad to them. They never particularly cared if something had been dubbed or not, just if it was good. Star Blazers, for all its changes, was good. That was all that mattered.

That Space Battleship Yamato 2199 is not Star Blazers but yet is in the sense that it is the same show updated from the original 1974 Space Battleship Yamato doesn't really phase them all that much. They are just the crowd that would rather it be dubbed again like it was in 1979, probably with all the same names because that was what they know and loved. Even if that was an option (it most likely is not), getting the voices would be next to impossible. Some are still unknown and some are quite dead.

I cross-name all the time, because I know (and can usually quickly type out) the English names easier than the Japanese. I have all three seasons of both Space Battleship Yamato and Star Blazers, as well as all the Yamato films to date (save of course the 1976 dub of Space Cruiser). I like both versions, though I tend to watch the Yamato version more often than the Star Blazers versions these days. I'm much more apt to type "Gamilon" than "Gamilus" because I still can't remember if it is "lus" or "las". I've mamaged to use Yuki, Shima, and Kodai most of the time, but when it gets to some of the other characters I revert to Star Blazers naming because I can recall them easier (Dash, Homer, and Eager, for example, roll off the memory quicker).

But then I tended to always be an inclusionist in science fiction. Internet fight over if Star Wars or Star Trek better? I didn't care as I'd use both given the chance. Fandom fights generally go over my head as I can't isolate one from the other as superior and inferior. When a series starts heavily contradicting itself, well, I either include what seems logical or what seems more interesting. If the tech talk starts spiraling into giant numbers that don't seem visibly reasoable or inclusive...I ignore it. It makes things more interesting that way. Star Blazers and Yamato...eh, I can live with both.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-06-19 at 02:26.

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato