AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-02-07, 01:57   Link #181
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

It seems Kyon has caved in to peer pressure. I thought he was brave enough to stand up for his favorite books regardless of other people's harsh words, but peer pressure is a terrible force.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-02-07, 02:03   Link #182
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
It seems Kyon has caved in to peer pressure. I thought he was brave enough to stand up for his favorite books regardless of other people's harsh words, but peer pressure is a terrible force.
Peer? I didn't know the words of one person counts as peer...

I believe Kyon made the changes because he doesn't believe it is worth destroying the very thing Haruhiism stood for by turning the Myspace site into a meaningless warzone. It's unfortunate that someone who supported Haruhi would in the same time be so narrow-minded, but it is the job of the rest of us to tolerate them. We are suppose to have fun, and thanks to Kyon's kindness, we can still have fun.
Old 2007-02-07, 03:16   Link #183
aegismode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Peer? I didn't know the words of one person counts as peer...

I believe Kyon made the changes because he doesn't believe it is worth destroying the very thing Haruhiism stood for by turning the Myspace site into a meaningless warzone. It's unfortunate that someone who supported Haruhi would in the same time be so narrow-minded, but it is the job of the rest of us to tolerate them. We are suppose to have fun, and thanks to Kyon's kindness, we can still have fun.
Narrow minded? I finished the book. I'm betting you can't.

For all those want to slam me or want to defend the book please just read it first. Don't take my little words for it. Read it yourself.

I love Haruhi and Kyon as much as you guys do. It's precisely that love which prompted me to do this. Otherwise I just toss the book out and be done with. If you have read the book as I have, I'm betting most of not all of you will have the same reaction - sheild this book from Haruhi-ism.

And there was never a war zone of any kind on the myspace page. I never flamed Kyon or anyone else; just read the posts I wrote. In fact I kept defending Kyon/Tanigawa for his love of the book. I am so afraid that someone will read this book and be disgusted Haruhi/Sos-Dan as a result. Dont' believe me? Please READ THE BOOK YOURSELF!!!

I'm glad they have removed the reference to the book; maybe some of their marketing people have indeed read the book. Thank goodness.

You guys can hate me all you want; at least we are free of this controversy. If I am to take all this BS to spare one person from associating Haruhi with this racist crap, then it's all worth it. Attack away.

Last edited by aegismode; 2007-02-07 at 03:30.
Old 2007-02-07, 03:29   Link #184
aegismode

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
I'm failing to see the difference in the way this book uses 'Chink' and the way books like Uncle Tom's Cabin use 'the n-werd.'
But maybe I'm just showing my ignorance.

If I may inject a bit of logic into this fiasco, think about this: if this book's message is truley 'all people but white people r teh suck,' then why would an asian fellow enjoy it?
The problem here is that you are just not going to accept anyone's views but your own (ironic?) on this book. You're not even willing to agree to disagree - if people do not see this book as condoning the extermination of all things non-white, then they're simply wrong, and you must rant and rave until they see the light.

I don't usually get involved in things like this, but I'm getting sick of it popping up in here and people trying to start flamewars over it. You wanna complain about how the Japanese draw black people? Take a look at how they charicature white people, as well. Before you say it isn't the same, remember that, to them, it is.
Sigh, I do not want a flame war with anyone. I want to send a message to the marketing department and this is the only way I know how. Maybe I should ask Patricia Lee to read it and have her release her anger on the marketing folks.

Before you offer me anymore of your logic, please, please just read the book first. I didn't even scratch the surface on the amount of offensive racism presented in the book. Do me a flavor, read to the very end and tell me what's the positive message the author trying to say about racism. Remember to keep an open mind because the urge to stop reading is going to be very, very strong.

As to why does Tanigawa loves it? My guess is that 1. He's reading a translated version and the language has probably changed, and 2. He's not an Asian living in the West; he has never experienced racism directed at him, thus he has no gauge on what white racism really is. For example, many Japanese in Japan has little or no issue with the word "Jap", but a Japanese-American will take great offense to it. That's why I keep asking people to stop using it, since chances are there are many manga/anime loving Japanese Americans reading these forums. To them the J word is the same as the N word.

As for the black thing, you got me all wrong here. I wasn't the one complaining, read here for all the detail. In fact, I was on various places defending the Japanese manga-kas. I am totally on their side and seeing thing from their POV while some black manga fans are getting pissed. I have no issue with how the manga-ka draws white or other non-Japanese since I know they didn't draw them due to racism.

Last edited by aegismode; 2007-02-07 at 04:05.
Old 2007-02-07, 04:08   Link #185
xris
Just call me Ojisan

OK, can we bring this discussion back on topic please
Old 2007-02-07, 04:41   Link #186
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegismode View Post
Narrow minded? I finished the book. I'm betting you can't.

For all those want to slam me or want to defend the book please just read it first. Don't take my little words for it. Read it yourself.

I love Haruhi and Kyon as much as you guys do. It's precisely that love which prompted me to do this. Otherwise I just toss the book out and be done with. If you have read the book as I have, I'm betting most of not all of you will have the same reaction - sheild this book from Haruhi-ism.

And there was never a war zone of any kind on the myspace page. I never flamed Kyon or anyone else; just read the posts I wrote. In fact I kept defending Kyon/Tanigawa for his love of the book. I am so afraid that someone will read this book and be disgusted Haruhi/Sos-Dan as a result. Dont' believe me? Please READ THE BOOK YOURSELF!!!

I'm glad they have removed the reference to the book; maybe some of their marketing people have indeed read the book. Thank goodness.

You guys can hate me all you want; at least we are free of this controversy. If I am to take all this BS to spare one person from associating Haruhi with this racist crap, then it's all worth it. Attack away.
Someone who would be disgusted with SOS-dan by reading any book, even Hitler's Autobiography, is not someone I would bother to have as a member of SOS-dan.
People should be free to read books created by anyone, even if the author is the Devil himself. There are things one can learn, even from those who's beliefs don't reconcile with your own. No, I haven't read the book, but I fail to see how it matters. The book could recommend cannibalism and mass raping of babies for all I care; SOS-dan's philosophy isn't related to Yuki's read list, and those who can't see above that are shallow and undesirable.

You claim to not be one of those who disagree with the books content, and I will take your word for it. However, I believe the existence of controversial books serve to weed out those who can't make up their own minds. Free thinking is a vital part of the Haruhiism, and those who can't pass the test were never going to be Haruhiists regardless.
Old 2007-02-07, 06:34   Link #187
Noppapana
> Haruhiist <

Send a message via MSN to Noppapana
Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
OK, can we bring this discussion back on topic please
solution : a new thread ?
Old 2007-02-07, 06:38   Link #188
xris
Just call me Ojisan

OK, let's make this clear. This is The Licensing of Haruhi Suzumiya thread, not about what books people are allowed to read

Can be get back on-topic please, the post by Vallen Chaos Valiant can be the last words on the topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noppapana View Post
solution : a new thread ?
No.
Old 2007-02-07, 15:29   Link #189
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

i guess there's no new news on the Haruhi yet...did asosbrigade make any new announcements??
except for the first DVD release in May...i wanna know if they might bring the novels down here also....not to mention maybe the soundtracks and character CDs also...
Old 2007-02-07, 17:03   Link #190
GyroidFanatic

Exepct an announcement in a few days. Haruhi demanded another video to be made this week.
Old 2007-02-08, 08:12   Link #191
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
OK, let's make this clear. This is The Licensing of Haruhi Suzumiya thread, not about what books people are allowed to read

Can be get back on-topic please, the post by Vallen Chaos Valiant can be the last words on the topic.
Is it okay to post Kyon's retraction? He also wants to drop the subject...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyon on myspace
I don't want to make a big fuss about that one particular book. I would like to make this one post and then drop the subject. It won an award here in Japan in 1990, and most of the English language reviews that I have found don't focus on that aspect of the book. In defense of the person who made the comments, I will point out that the book is not available in the US, probably because the publisher thought it best to just avoid the problem alltogether. Because this website is trying to focus on The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, I don't think it is worth trying to debate those kinds of issues here. I certainly hope that the parties involved will not leave the neat community we have built here because of this one issue. OK, I said it. I don't intend to bring it up again. I am borrowing other books on the list from Yuki and I will probably mention them when I have the time to finish all that reading. I am currently reading the Ghost in the Shell lite novels, but that is another story.
Now back on topic...

It's been quite a while since the main ASOS site was updated (I guess they're waiting for the next short video to get finished). When we see new text in the source, something new is probably on the way (but I haven't seen any yet). I'm also sure that we'll definitely hear something by the end of the month.

Old 2007-02-08, 15:41   Link #192
Kensuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
I guess they're waiting for the next short video to get finished
New video should be up soon. Or then somebody will be in bunny suit.

Quote:
He's busy "watching GSD7 and giving it TLC"? What's that mean? Does it have espers? Is it good to eat?? NO MATTER! If I don't see a new video within the next 12 hours I'm buying a bunny suit and stuffing someone inside it~
Perhaps the current voting was for that.
Old 2007-02-08, 23:17   Link #193
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

<!-- I feel ill today -->
<!-- You will make thousands of other people ill if you don't upload that video tonight -->
<!-- HEY! -->
<!-- You WANT to wear the bunny suit? -->
<!-- I think he would look fabulous in it ^^ -->
<!-- ...geh. Shigoto, shigoto! Out of my way! -->
<!-- Oh well ^^ -->
<!-- There may be a disturbance next week -->
<!-- There will be many strong actions for the next several weeks -->
<!-- Much confidential information must be released soon -->
<!-- Do you see something in the sky? -->
<!-- Wow! -->

The plot thickens.
Old 2007-02-08, 23:42   Link #194
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

^^
<!-- I think he would look fabulous in it ^^ --> <--Itsuki, anyone?
Old 2007-02-09, 02:34   Link #195
Ezekiel Rage

Send a message via AIM to Ezekiel Rage
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus IX View Post
<!-- I feel ill today -->
<!-- You will make thousands of other people ill if you don't upload that video tonight -->
<!-- HEY! -->
<!-- You WANT to wear the bunny suit? -->
<!-- I think he would look fabulous in it ^^ -->
<!-- ...geh. Shigoto, shigoto! Out of my way! -->
<!-- Oh well ^^ -->
<!-- There may be a disturbance next week -->
<!-- There will be many strong actions for the next several weeks -->
<!-- Much confidential information must be released soon -->
<!-- Do you see something in the sky? -->
<!-- Wow! -->

The plot thickens.
Could that "something in the sky" be the recent re-appearance of the mysterious 'Phoenix Lights'? Here's a link to the Wiki article, they were spotted again a few days ago (February 6th). As we all knopw, Haruhi love's aliens and that sort of thing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Lights
Old 2007-02-09, 04:29   Link #196
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Well, the video for asosbrigade is up . . . important stuff in it!

Guess they were serious when they said they'd take those fan votes for voice actors into consideration...
Old 2007-02-09, 05:15   Link #197
Asrialys

They'll need someone to blame if there is negative reaction...

Just kidding...
Old 2007-02-09, 06:04   Link #198
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
Well, the video for asosbrigade is up . . . important stuff in it!

Guess they were serious when they said they'd take those fan votes for voice actors into consideration...
Bang Zoom? ...fired half of staff... NOOOOO! They got rid of the ninja! You bastards!

http://www.adultswim.com/shows/eurek...log/index.html

Although, I think I like where this is going.
Old 2007-02-09, 06:11   Link #199
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

well we got what we were all waiting for
the dubbing cast
and theres no way around it in complaining about it since we all voted for who sounded the right part!!

the only useful thing in this episode was the announcement of the dubbing cast
the tour of the studio just wasted time
man i wanted to see the recording session
errr i guess we"ll have to wait until the next episode!!
Old 2007-02-09, 07:11   Link #200
Noppapana
&gt; Haruhiist &lt;

Send a message via MSN to Noppapana
LOL they only used the Yukis Hare hare yukai in the beginning ..
Closed Thread