AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Muv-Luv Franchise > Total Eclipse

Notices

Old 2012-07-22, 23:48   Link #1201
Jarmel

This definitely feels like a "Japan Fuck Yea" type show.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 00:02   Link #1202
Enternal

Anyways, it's not hard to see that Yuuya have his attitude problems so I don't see any problems with Yui taking him down a few notches. His attitude problem is most if not all related only with the fact that she's Japanese which clearly is shown in this episode where he does not have a good view of the Japanese due to all the crap he went through as a child.

Just to be clear, this whole thing between Yui and Yuuya isn't about who is a better pilot.

What I'm interested is what if the role of Yuuya and Yui completely switched. Would everyone continue to get on Yui's case?

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2012-07-23 at 02:47. Reason: Removed deleted post quote (and reply).
Enternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 00:07   Link #1203
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Wow, humanity is close to being extinct and they still think about their nation? Yuuya and Yui both deserve a slap to their faces.

National pride is bullshit if you don't have any nation in the first place.
Better reallocate those thoughts to fighting for a common cause: survival.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 00:12   Link #1204
Enternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Wow, humanity is close to being extinct and they still think about their nation? Yuuya and Yui both deserve a slap to their faces.

National pride is bullshit if you don't have any nation in the first place.
Better reallocate those thoughts to fighting for a common cause: survival.
Yep pretty much. Unfortunately someone started the fight so until it's finish, this stupid tug of war won't stop.

"But Yui IS a Japanese doll (or would be if she learn to keep her mouth shut). What experience does she have exactly? Watching her friends die and being luckily enough to be saved."

Still more experiences than Yuuya. What does he have? Experiences in how to piss off your superior officer, show off to your superior officer, have bad attitude towards your superior officer. Why? Because she's a freaking Japanese doll.

Remember, the thing Yui had problems with Yuuya was clearly stated by her in this episode.
"I find that haughty attitude unpleasant and upsetting"

I also need to be clear that I definitely like both Yui and Yuuya. But I also need to be clear that both have their own issues which results in their fights. This is how I see things. Yuuya have issues regarding the Japanese due to his past and therefore that affects how he behaves with Yui, a Japanese. He does not act badly around the others because that's how he truly is. However when it concerns the Japanese, it's a "sore" spot for him which resulted in him having a bad attitude with Yui. As a child, he and his mother was abandoned by his father. The bullying kids pound into his head the idea that the Japanese suck. Now he actually meets a Japanese. Since the Japanese suck but he is half-Japanese, how does his deal with this fact? By having a cocky, haughty, and bad attitude towards the Japanese to show that he's better. A way to "run" away that he's part the supposed sucky Japanese himself.
Old 2012-07-23, 00:18   Link #1205
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Sooo did Bridge's dad ditched him and his mom? What's the story there?
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 00:19   Link #1206
Jarmel

I'm really hoping this show doesn't revolve around trying to shit on America.
Old 2012-07-23, 00:23   Link #1207
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
I think it's more of "Everyone trying to shit on everyone else while they get shit on by the BETA."
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 00:24   Link #1208
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
I think it's more of "Everyone trying to shit on everyone else while they get shit on by the BETA."
Remember, this is all happening between the America and Soviet Zones in Alaska. So Cold War shenanigans happen.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 00:24   Link #1209
Enternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
Obviously not. It's about identity issues regarding Yuuya who is half Japanese and half American. Growing up by people who tells him that he's inferior because he's Japanese caused him problems in identifying with the Japanese part of him. He's trying to throw away his Japanese side of him buy attempting to look down on the Japanese.

Last edited by Enternal; 2012-07-23 at 00:48.
Old 2012-07-23, 00:27   Link #1210
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by -khriz- View Post
Can't wait for Yuuya to put Yui in her place, bitch need to stay in the kitchen.
Hey, though Yui would be a cute as a housewife *giggling, well, that could wait until peace occurs. She's a wonderful wife I'm sure... till then... let the two fight together and with each other....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 00:41   Link #1211
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enternal View Post
Obviously not. It's about identity issues regarding Yuuya who is half Japanese and half American. Growing up by people who tells him that he's inferior because he's Japanese caused him problems in identifying with the Japanese part of him.
Yui is definitely giving me the "Japanese are a superior race" vibe.
Old 2012-07-23, 00:53   Link #1212
Enternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
Yui is definitely giving me the "Japanese are a superior race" vibe.
Really? I'm getting the "Japanese are infeior. Yui, you are a Japanese and therefore you are inferior". Remember, due to what Yuuya experienced as a child, he's trying to throw away his Japanese side.
Old 2012-07-23, 00:55   Link #1213
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

You cannot underestimate the true power of YAMATO DAMASHII!!!
http://muvluv.wikia.com/wiki/YAMATO_DAMASHII

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt. Run in little circles, wave your arms and shout.
grevierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 00:57   Link #1214
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Yep pretty much. Unfortunately someone started the fight so until it's finish, this stupid tug of war won't stop.

"But Yui IS a Japanese doll (or would be if she learn to keep her mouth shut). What experience does she have exactly? Watching her friends die and being luckily enough to be saved."

Still more experiences than Yuuya. What does he have? Experiences in how to piss off your superior officer, show off to your superior officer, have bad attitude towards your superior officer. Why? Because she's a freaking Japanese doll.
Also, remember the three-year timeskip. More likely than not, Yui's got herself plenty of field combat experience since the end of her first battle. I suspect that she sees plenty of her younger self (itself ironic since she's, what, 17?) in Yuuya: too much confidence in his training-field-only background, ready to get NOMmed out of him when he first meets up with BETA.

Quote:
Remember, the thing Yui had problems with Yuuya was clearly stated by her in this episode.
"I find that haughty attitude unpleasant and upsetting"

I also need to be clear that I definitely like both Yui and Yuuya. But I also need to be clear that both have their own issues which results in their fights. This is how I see things. Yuuya have issues regarding the Japanese due to his past and therefore that affects how he behaves with Yui, a Japanese. He does not act badly around the others because that's how he truly is. However when it concerns the Japanese, it's a "sore" spot for him which resulted in him having a bad attitude with Yui. As a child, he and his mother was abandoned by his father. The bullying kids pound into his head the idea that the Japanese suck. Now he actually meets a Japanese. Since the Japanese suck but he is half-Japanese, how does his deal with this fact? By having a cocky, haughty, and bad attitude towards the Japanese to show that he's better. A way to "run" away that he's part the supposed sucky Japanese himself.
All true. The problem there is that Yui's counterreaction hits every wrong button about him. She can't help being Japanese or, for that matter, having the attitude of a Japanese soldier. But it's absurd for her to expect an native-born American, regardless of ethnic origin, to behave like one of his original ethnic group first and his actual culture second. Everything she's said thus far is basically her expecting him to somehow be Japanese just because he's got a parent who was one, despite not being raised in the culture. Mecha fighting style is not genetic, Yui!

Mind you, it probably makes for better storytelling if they're both being jackasses, so that they can end up both meeting in the middle, instead of Yuuya covering his self-worth issues up with braggadocio and insults while Yui recognizes his problems and addresses them properly. Unfortunately, it just makes them unpalatable. (And come to think of it, Cryska's not exactly coming off nicely here, either, for the third point of the promoted love triangle, what with her bloodthirsty wailing in Ep. 3's teaser and this episode's "don't bother coming to the assistance of your fellow pilots; just let 'em die" routine. Honestly, when you toss in Chobi (unlikable in the extreme) and Inia (adults (or at least teenagers) acting like little kids are creeeeeeepy ), this cast features a whole bunch of unpleasant-at-first-glance people. Fortunately, the TSFs are pretty likeable so I can just wait and enjoy some character development. Which I do expect to see--I mean, the fact that Yuuya's actually got some pretty good reasons (psychologically speaking) for his poor attitudes is a step ahead of the curve there.
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 01:02   Link #1215
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quite a harsh statement from Yui calling Yuuya a disgrace to the Japanese race. I can see the good intention of Yui behind those words.

"In the battlefield, it doesn't matter what race you came from. It's you're skill that will keep you alive. Avoid blaming others... blame yourself for accepting yourself as weak. Show me what you Americans can do and I'll make you see what us Japanese can do too."
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 01:06   Link #1216
Enternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
Also, remember the three-year timeskip. More likely than not, Yui's got herself plenty of field combat experience since the end of her first battle. I suspect that she sees plenty of her younger self (itself ironic since she's, what, 17?) in Yuuya: too much confidence in his training-field-only background, ready to get NOMmed out of him when he first meets up with BETA.

All true. The problem there is that Yui's counterreaction hits every wrong button about him. She can't help being Japanese or, for that matter, having the attitude of a Japanese soldier. But it's absurd for her to expect an native-born American, regardless of ethnic origin, to behave like one of his original ethnic group first and his actual culture second. Everything she's said thus far is basically her expecting him to somehow be Japanese just because he's got a parent who was one, despite not being raised in the culture. Mecha fighting style is not genetic, Yui!

Mind you, it probably makes for better storytelling if they're both being jackasses, so that they can end up both meeting in the middle, instead of Yuuya covering his self-worth issues up with braggadocio and insults while Yui recognizes his problems and addresses them properly. Unfortunately, it just makes them unpalatable. (And come to think of it, Cryska's not exactly coming off nicely here, either, for the third point of the promoted love triangle, what with her bloodthirsty wailing in Ep. 3's teaser and this episode's "don't bother coming to the assistance of your fellow pilots; just let 'em die" routine. Honestly, when you toss in Chobi (unlikable in the extreme) and Inia (adults (or at least teenagers) acting like little kids are creeeeeeepy ), this cast features a whole bunch of unpleasant-at-first-glance people. Fortunately, the TSFs are pretty likeable so I can just wait and enjoy some character development. Which I do expect to see--I mean, the fact that Yuuya's actually got some pretty good reasons (psychologically speaking) for his poor attitudes is a step ahead of the curve there.
True. However Yuuya must still remember that he's also part Japanese. I don't think Yui is completely expecting him to act Japanese. However she does expect him to embrace that side of him instead of throwing it away like he did. He's an American. True. But he's also part Japanese. He can't simply discard that side of him. To Yui, he's some American-Japanese guy who is acting arrogant towards her just because he's "American" only and she's Japanese when it's also clear he's part Japanese.

I am Asian. My friend is half Asian and half White. I would be pretty upset if he starts acting better than me because I'm Asian when he in fact is also part Asian. See the problem?

However, Yuuya does have good psychological reasons as to why he acts the way he did. At the same time Yui also have her own problems which pretty much adds fuel to the fire between both of them.
Old 2012-07-23, 01:10   Link #1217
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevierr View Post
You cannot underestimate the true power of YAMATO DAMASHII!!!
http://muvluv.wikia.com/wiki/YAMATO_DAMASHII
Oh goodness gracious, looking back, this gag article is just way too accurate. xD

Yui, might not be at certain levels but she's started the path towards that.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 01:17   Link #1218
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Uhhh... this whole Yuuya/Yui thing over American or Japanese is better is starting to get annoying. Those two should get a room to solve that belligerent tension they both have. Also, have the Scarlet Twins join you as well.
Old 2012-07-23, 01:22   Link #1219
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Personally I wouldn't look too much into anti- whatever sentiments as this point. As pointed out by the Macaroni, the mind set of the other must be understood. Yuuya needs to understand Yui's mindset, and Yui needs to understand Yuuya's background.

Of course, Yuuya's gonna follow the mindset of the Mecha, and talk with his (mechs) fists next ep, if what i'm hearing of the preview is right... Someone's going to get asswhupped.

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt. Run in little circles, wave your arms and shout.
grevierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 01:23   Link #1220
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
True. However Yuuya must still remember that he's also part Japanese. I don't think Yui is completely expecting him to act Japanese. However she does expect him to embrace that side of him instead of throwing it away like he did. He's an American. True. But he's also part Japanese. He can't simply discard that side of him. To Yui, he's some American-Japanese guy who is acting arrogant towards her just because he's "American" only and she's Japanese when it's also clear he's part Japanese.

I am Asian. My friend is half Asian and half White. I would be pretty upset if he starts acting better than me because I'm Asian when he in fact is also part Asian. See the problem?
Oh, I agree with the problem--Yuuya's being all kinds of stupid (beginning with pulling attitude on his superior officer when he's the one having problems with the equipment). It's the solution that's at issue: ultimately, the issue isn't whether Yuuya embraces, rejects, or sort of muddles along with regard to his own Japanese heritage--it's whether or not he lets whatever his attitude is interfere with his job. Everything Yui says to him in this episode is centered around the idea that Yuuya isn't sufficiently Japanese for her standards (pulling the "every Japanese trainee is perfectly fine using this kind of TSF" line, for example, when she knows damn well from experience that that isn't true--they have to learn to fly like anybody else). Using your example, it would be as if your response to your friend was to demand that he entirely throw away the white half of his heritage and act like he was a member of whatever culture his Asian half comes from.

(Or in other words, Yuuya and Yui are both acting like racist assholes, and they'd better grow up in a hurry if they want Project PROMINENCE to actually succeed.)
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, aliens, mecha, romance, science fiction, seinen