AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2011-09-30, 08:16   Link #2101
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratas123 View Post
I think he means when she suddenly spiked to S rank aptitude. The only thing keeping her balanced with the other characters despite having a superior suit was her low aptitude level, without this limit she can pretty much beat all the other heroines plus Ichika in a straight up fight now. The fact that she was naturally gifted but was held back by her feelings of resenment/angst is also a bit of an asspull for some.
The whole aptitude thing is really
nothing, this was mentioned way
back in volume 1, it's not like Houki
was ever shown to really suck in a
fight, except that one time with a
training suit, but then again, it's a
training suit.
Old 2011-09-30, 08:19   Link #2102
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Can't we just say that Ichika is actually very skilled, but just that the fact that his Second Shift Byaku Shiki just sucks too much? I can't see Ichika losing to Houki if he goes all out in a good IS.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-30, 08:30   Link #2103
Eratas123

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post
- Blitz? This is ME we're talking about here...
Are you betraying Charlotte!? I guess I misjudged you
Eratas123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-30, 08:33   Link #2104
justpassingby

Quote:
without this limit she can pretty much beat all the other heroines plus Ichika in a straight up fight now.
Anything wrong with that? Laura beats Cecilia and Rin, while Charlotte beats Houki, and they're still friends.

Quote:
The fact that she was naturally gifted but was held back by her feelings of resenment/angst is also a bit of an asspull for some.
From where you got that? Though if it's true, it's better than to say "She was held back because she's lazy"

I'm inclined to say she was hold back due to her inexperience with the IS. Why the government put her in the Academy forcefully without providing her with initial training or a personal IS or at least an easy access to training IS is beyond me. Tatenashi said that she's good at teaching, so I don't see any reason Houki can't be better at piloting, because she trained differently by different teacher

Regarding the 'S' rank, just pretend you're watching Gundam

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
Can't we just say that Ichika is actually very skilled, but just that the fact that his Second Shift Byaku Shiki just sucks too much? I can't see Ichika losing to Houki if he goes all out in a good IS.
I can also say I can't see Houki losing to Ichika, seeing both Akatsubaki and Byaku Shiki consume too much energy in their 1st Shift and 2nd Shift respectively. They were last in the race in vol 6. Besides, Ichika couldn't beat her in kendo training
Old 2011-09-30, 08:34   Link #2105
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Tsk tsk, I should've known better,
a true babaero to the last.
Old 2011-09-30, 08:42   Link #2106
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
I thought it was jiji. xD

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-30, 08:45   Link #2107
Eratas123

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassingby View Post
Anything wrong with that? Laura beats Cecilia and Rin, while Charlotte beats Houki, and they're still friends.

From where you got that? Though if it's true, it's better than to say "She was held back because she's lazy"

I'm inclined to say she was hold back due to her inexperience with the IS. Why the government put her in the Academy forcefully without providing her with initial training or a personal IS or at least an easy access to training IS is beyond me. Tatenashi said that she's good at teaching, so I don't see any reason Houki can't be better at piloting, because she trained differently by different teacher

Regarding the 'S' rank, just pretend you're watching Gundam

I can also say I can't see Houki losing to Ichika, seeing both Akatsubaki and Byaku Shiki consume too much energy in their 1st Shift and 2nd Shift respectively. They were last in the race in vol 6. Besides, Ichika couldn't beat her in kendo training
No need to be so hostile about it, I was just answering a question.

What makes people remark that she turns into a canon sue is the fact that she literally jumps from lowest rank to highest rank during the fight with the golems, it would've been more realistic if her rank slowly went up or she didn't immediately jump to S rank during the fight but somewhere lower like A or B. Most personal IS pilots are trained for years and they tend to go up only to the high A ranking whereas Houki reached S rank in the middle of a fight which makes it hard for some to swallow.

I personally have no problems with any character no matter how high their power level gets. Phantom task members have shown themselves capable of handling multiple IS units even when they're outnumbered so I'm not really worried about the characters going god mode sue
Old 2011-09-30, 08:46   Link #2108
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Of course, you are prepped, just get some sedatives, drugs and what else do you need for your shopping cart?
- No, it means me---I wouldn't trust being within three feet of Tatenashi unless I'm inside an Abrams tank at the very least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratas123
- Let me say this to start. Tatenashi is NOT my type of girl. In that respect, <Ren> and I are the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san
- Baaaaka! (Clotheslines you)
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-30, 08:53   Link #2109
Eratas123

Quote:
- No, it means me---I wouldn't trust being within three feet of Tatenashi unless I'm inside an Abrams tank at the very least.

- Let me say this to start. Tatenashi is NOT my type of girl. In that respect, <Ren> and I are the same.
At least your loyal to your crush, kinda surprising to find someone who says Tatenashi is NOT they're type since next to Charlotte she seems to be the most popular girl Besides, Blitz would've killed you if you tried anything
Old 2011-09-30, 08:57   Link #2110
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
No need to be so hostile about it, I was just answering a question.

What makes people remark that she turns into a canon sue is the fact that she literally jumps from lowest rank to highest rank during the fight with the golems, it would've been more realistic if her rank slowly went up or she didn't immediately jump to S rank during the fight but somewhere lower like A or B. Most personal IS pilots are trained for years and they tend to go up only to the high A ranking whereas Houki reached S rank in the middle of a fight which makes it hard for some to swallow.

I personally have no problems with any character no matter how high their power level gets. Phantom task members have shown themselves capable of handling multiple IS units even when they're outnumbered so I'm not really worried about the characters going god mode sue
You know, I'll just quote myself at this point:

Quote:
The whole aptitude thing is really
nothing, this was mentioned way
back in volume 1, it's not like Houki
was ever shown to really suck in a
fight, except that one time with a
training suit, but then again, it's a
training suit.
Well, there.

Houki was never really at the bottom,
if I recall correctly, Cecilia's been at the
bottom since Volume 1 when Ichika, well,
you know...

Here, remember the Gospel incident? Well,
based on their individual performances there
you can clearly see that even when she just
got Akatsubaki she was already displaying
skills that can't be said to belong to someone
who is supposedly at the bottom.

I hope it's 100% cleared at this point,
I swear I'll eat the chair I'm sitting on
if it's not.
Old 2011-09-30, 08:58   Link #2111
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Personality conflict. If Tatenashi were real---and I say this because I've met girls like her before--she would drive me up the wall.
Old 2011-09-30, 08:59   Link #2112
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Personality conflict. If Tatenashi were real---and I say this because I've met girls like her before--she would drive me up the wall.
You've met girls like her? Really now,
I'd like to as well, so far I've only met
people like Chifuyu, Cecilia, and Ichika.
Old 2011-09-30, 09:00   Link #2113
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

Quote:
You tap her without her permission, she would probably kill you. xD.

PS: I think with these translations, Ping enjoys watching me tick.
Well, just came back from a Chess tournament. I'm a little tired, so Chapter 2 will be finished in 3 hours. (kinda slow here...)
Hell_ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-30, 09:06   Link #2114
Eratas123

@ Detective- They do matter somewhat, It's mentioned that all IS pilot representatives need a high aptitude to be picked and stay in their position, Cecilia even worries in volume 5 since her ranking is A- she could possibly be replaced with someone else, so it's either the author forgot that the aptitude doesn't matter at all or its a retcon

*Sits back and waits for box to start eating his chair*

@Wavehawk- I met girls somewhat like her but I still had traces of gynophobia back then so I didn't really try to pay to much attention to them.
Old 2011-09-30, 09:11   Link #2115
justpassingby

Quote:
literally jumps from lowest rank to highest rank during the fight with the golems:
The so-called "jump" didn't occur during the battle with the Golems. It was when Tatenashi scanned her, before the start of the tournament. Even with all the training she received, she still got hit by another Golem after she performed an Iai on a Golem that has been weakened by Tatenashi (vol 7 pg 248). There are other instances that she got hit by the Golems, just wait for the translation

If you want to call someone Over Powered, make sure he/she is not hittable, and can beat everything/everyone without any effort, which is no one in the IS verse, yet.

And being hostile? If the author had choose another girls to be the main, say Rin, or Cecilia, and got the same treatment as Houki, I would still defend her.

Last edited by justpassingby; 2011-09-30 at 09:23.
justpassingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-30, 09:15   Link #2116
HasuMasu
*Artist

*eats chair*

Anyway, the fact that aptitude
is important in choosing representative
candidates is no different from your
grades in school, meaning, they really
don't matter when you get to the real thing,
which in IS means, an IS battle, which is
definitely true considering aptitude is based
on your sync with a simple training IS.
Old 2011-09-30, 09:18   Link #2117
Eratas123

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassingby View Post
The so-called "jump" didn't occur during the battle with the Golems. It was when Tatenashi scanned her, before the start of the tournament. Even with all the training she received, she still got hit by another Golem after she performed an Iai on a Golem that has been weakened by Tatenashi (vol 7 pg 247). There are other instances that she got hit by the Golems, just wait for the translation

If you want to call someone Over Powered, make sure he/she is not hittable, and can beat everything/everyone without any effort, which is no one in the IS verse, yet.

And being hostile? If the author had choose another girls to be the main, say Rin, or Cecilia, and got the same treatment as Houki, I would still defend her.
Not what I meant when I said hostile You seemed mad when you were answering the questions that's all, didn't mean to offend

I guess I was misinformed other sites I've gone to remark that she jumped during the fight itself and without a volume translation then I couldn't exactly confirm, I concede to your superior knowledge

Like I said before, I have no problems with the characters no matter how strong they get. With wht we've seen of Phantom Task they're gonna need it
Old 2011-09-30, 09:19   Link #2118
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
You've met girls like her? Really now,
- Personality-wise.

I never said they were attractive. -_-
Old 2011-09-30, 09:22   Link #2119
justpassingby

Quote:
Not what I meant when I said hostile You seemed mad when you were answering the questions that's all, didn't mean to offend

I guess I was misinformed other sites I've gone to remark that she jumped during the fight itself and without a volume translation then I couldn't exactly confirm, I concede to your superior knowledge
Nothing superior about me. Infact, I mistyped it. It was on pg 248 :P. <------------Yeah, may be I was a little bit mad after all
Old 2011-09-30, 09:23   Link #2120
Eratas123

Quote:
- Personality-wise.

I never said they were attractive. -_-
That sucks! The ones I met were pretty attractive (at least to me) but I ignored them due to my previous condition

Tags
blockhead protagonist, comparison, fanservice, harem, manga rebooted, mecha, not dense mc, seinen, shounen