AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-01-02, 16:39   Link #121
Breimoon

didn't really like this first episode. The characters though seemed good so i will give it a few episodes. I wonder if that Dio is an italian or something ( Dio = God, so i expect a lot from him :P)
Breimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-02, 16:51   Link #122
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

And the Gundam cliche begins anew. Those mechs really do look like Gundams though...lol

Looks like we have four protags in this one. We also have two armies in a war & Hina plays for the opposite side. Just great, looks like her & Aoba's soon to be love will somehow get both sides to see that they can coexist with each other. (As cliche as it gets, Gundam SEED anyone? *cough* Kira & Lacus)

Inb4Aoba'sAndHina'sLoveSolvesEverything.

That dude in the blue mech is pissed, probably because Hina betrayed them to save the person who'll cause them to lose the war. I also have a hunch that she is that guy's buddy. Gonna be one hell of a complicated love triangle. Still, Hina looks about set on Aoba, that guy can't compete, then again, this is only episode 1, we'll see eventually.

The buddy thing seems to be a dual system. Two people sync with the robots & each other to bring out the machine's full potential. Dio's ideal match Aoba. It begs the question though, where is future Aoba?

Also, lol Who else got fooled by the title & synopsis? I thought this would've been a homo anime when I read the synopsis. I read the comments on the site I use & realized that it isn't. When I watched it. I was like, "fuck yea! More mecha." Just the way I'd like to start 2014.

I also noticed something that I couldn't ignore.

Spoiler for Guaranteed lol:

Only in Sunrise. They look too damn similar...lol The eyes, the hair & the names...XD
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
MK-95- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-02, 16:55   Link #123
VTHokiePride

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwhite67 View Post
There were character and organization introductions before this aired. Check it out here.

The white guys are Confederate Treaty of Liberty and the other guys are Republic of Great Zogilia.
Is it just me or does the Cygnus look like the ship from Eureka Seven?
Old 2014-01-02, 22:38   Link #124
Irenesharda

Well, after taking a bit of a break between seasons, I've started up again with the new Winter Season and Buddy Complex.

Sigh...what to say...

First, I guess the good's in order. The characters aren't "bad" persay, and the music is okay. The time travel idea is interesting and one I haven't seen lately, and I like the wormholes...

Yeah, that's about it.

Now for the bad. Wow, were these characters bland! Not one bit of interesting characteristics, boring as a plank of wood, and that could be no more obvious than in our lead for this venture, Aoba Watase. This is the most bland mecha MC I've seen in a long time, and I can already tell I'm going to have to hopefully find more interest in other characters. The mecha themselves are horribly simplistic and bland as well, showing no originality at all and are blocky and kid-like the look like they came out of the wrong anime.

And talk about no originality, that OP and ED was so generic. I literally laughed out loud at the astounding lack of effort put into it. I even showed it to my little brother, who also laughed at it. We couldn't believe how much they wanted to simply take SEED/Destiny's OPs and just paint over it. We even compared the two finding this show's version of Kira, Athrun, Cagalli, Yzak, Murue, Mu, Badgirul and other characters that looked like carbon copies. Wow, Sunrise, you really decided to be lazy these day, hmm.

This whole thing is generic and I don't know if it's from coming off the twists and turns and adrenaline rush that was Valvrave and then coming to this, but I was not impressed in the least. I spent a lot of the time waiting for something to happen, for Aoba to stop being a boring, generic, bland MC, but alas, it wasn't to be.

I'll keep watching for a while, simply since this is a mecha series and I usually give them a chance. Plus the time travel angle is interesting, so there is at least a hope that other characters and plot will be worth it to keep watching. However, as of right now, "Buddy Complex" with it's ridiculous name, is one of the most utterly bland mecha shows I've seen in a while.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-02, 23:28   Link #125
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Well I finally got to see the first episode. Not bad, good production values, the action was pretty good. The stage is set by the end, which i liked.

Love the mecha designs, so that was never an issue. Im still skeptical about time travel, not sure if that is an element I like. But I'll tune in for the next episode.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-03, 03:22   Link #126
ApathyEcstasy

Spoiler for Just guessing:
ApathyEcstasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-03, 03:39   Link #127
Gundamx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApathyEcstasy View Post
Spoiler for Just guessing:
doubt it
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-03, 05:55   Link #128
Allium
Keep on keeping on

An OK premiere episode. Not bad but not anything special. Time travel, if executed well, can bring an anime to great heights, so I hope that Buddy Complex will make good use of that trope.

I agree, though, that the characters do look like as if they've been copied straight from Seed. Personally I prefer Valvrave's fresher, more vibrant-looking designs.
Allium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-03, 06:02   Link #129
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
First, I guess the good's in order. The characters aren't "bad" persay, and the music is okay. The time travel idea is interesting and one I haven't seen lately, and I like the wormholes...

Yeah, that's about it.

Now for the bad. Wow, were these characters bland!
Well, it IS only the 1st episode. Things could become more interesting later on.
They might even bring in a sinister council of time-traveling, time-eating vampires futher down!!

Quote:
And talk about no originality, that OP and ED was so generic.
I was OK with it. I definitely think Preserved Roses and Kakumei Dualism spoilt us when it came to OP music standards though. Plus they were big mainstream hits too!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-keuURdCB-0

Quote:
This whole thing is generic and I don't know if it's from coming off the twists and turns and adrenaline rush that was Valvrave and then coming to this.
It's most likely the Valvrave rush.
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-03, 06:21   Link #130
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allium View Post
I agree, though, that the characters do look like as if they've been copied straight from Seed. Personally I prefer Valvrave's fresher, more vibrant-looking designs.
To be fair, Valvrave's character designs were done by Hoshino Katsura(creator of D-Gray Man), praised for her 'highly stylistic, visual artstyle'. Buddy Complex's appear to have been done by in-house animators.

It's just too bad Hoshino's style hasn't been widely exposed other than through D-Gray Man, misc one shot manga, and Valvrave's designs.
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-03, 09:35   Link #131
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Well, I wasn't interested in any of the characters introduced so far. Aoba is a generic wish- fulfillment blob and I doubt anything of interest will come from him- nothing ever does from this character type (this whole thing reminded me oddly of Muv Luv Alternative's protagonist stuffed in a Gundam Seed setting which made me throw up a little).

Hina didn't seem interesting either, generic hot love interest who inexplicably (at some yet to be seen fated meeting bla bla generic) fell in love with the obscure awesomeness of the generic lame blob protagonist. Her gushing just made me roll my eyes with how lame it was.
Then she was hacking her bank account with her future tech though which was funny enough for me to not write her off completely yet XD

The rage-y Yzark expy or that Dio individual didn't particularly make me care for this show either. Visually, albeit generic, it's pleasing enough, same goes for the opening, and it didn't grate me quite as badly as Valvrave's first episode, so I'll keep watching for now. It's not bad, just nothing to get me hooked has happened so far.
Have a feeling this might turn into one of these guilty pleasure kind of shows that you're kind of embarassed about but keep watching anyways... err, just like Valvrave was actually, but probably with less insanity.
Old 2014-01-03, 09:52   Link #132
Arya

mmm, I don't see many resemblance with GSeed.
Anyways, surely the MC looks really generic, Haruto was much more cool, but at least he seems to have a working brain. Still, nothing to write home about.
In any case if this show would be something even remotely close to GS I would not have any worries, instead I don't think it will be, and in any case I'm kinda worried.

Time travel. Until we won't get any news about, I'll take it as in Gargantia, just a one-time happening as set-up for the story.

Mecha designs, generics more than the MC.

Dio. Ok, I'll have to get accustomed to it because in my country it like screaming the name of God. And the uppercase is not by chance. So it's a bit odd. Surely I'll have some problems if BL will be added to his development

So, to me the most interesting part of the episode has been Hina. And if by chance she is really a pilot on the opposite side and always by chance she will hate her enemies, namely Aoba, I won't have any reserves anymore. Two enemies that will fall in love it's something I'd like to see.
But I guess it's easier that Hina will be revealed to be a trap than having something consistent until the end.
Or the BL route.

At least apparently we won't have any civilians (schoolmates), bar the MC, involved.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-03, 15:54   Link #133
DevilHighDxD
Zero Two Best waifu 2018

So to the people who had watched the anime, how does Hina compare to Saki? Are they in anyway similar?

Edit: Never mind, I guess I have my hope up when her character's design is similar to Saki.

Last edited by DevilHighDxD; 2014-01-03 at 16:31.
DevilHighDxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-03, 16:55   Link #134
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilHighDxD View Post
So to the people who had watched the anime, how does Hina compare to Saki? Are they in anyway similar?

Edit: Never mind, I guess I have my hope up when her character's design is similar to Saki.
She's shy and awkward around the MC. Other than being her crush she is probably worried she'd set off some temporal paradox.

Note this is future Hina in the past. It seems she can't exist at the same time with her past self.

Meaning we do not know Hina's personality when she first meets Aoba.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-03, 17:02   Link #135
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post
Well, I wasn't interested in any of the characters introduced so far. Aoba is a generic wish- fulfillment blob and I doubt anything of interest will come from him- nothing ever does from this character type (this whole thing reminded me oddly of Muv Luv Alternative's protagonist stuffed in a Gundam Seed setting which made me throw up a little).

Hina didn't seem interesting either, generic hot love interest who inexplicably (at some yet to be seen fated meeting bla bla generic) fell in love with the obscure awesomeness of the generic lame blob protagonist. Her gushing just made me roll my eyes with how lame it was.
Then she was hacking her bank account with her future tech though which was funny enough for me to not write her off completely yet XD

The rage-y Yzark expy or that Dio individual didn't particularly make me care for this show either. Visually, albeit generic, it's pleasing enough, same goes for the opening, and it didn't grate me quite as badly as Valvrave's first episode, so I'll keep watching for now. It's not bad, just nothing to get me hooked has happened so far.
Have a feeling this might turn into one of these guilty pleasure kind of shows that you're kind of embarassed about but keep watching anyways... err, just like Valvrave was actually, but probably with less insanity.
Honestly he is generic and boring protagonist, but I have to admit he has skills and good reflexes so at least in that metter he is better than all these guys who just become godly by sitting in Gundams. Not mention we don't know how that girl (whatever was her name) fall for him so it can be as well completely justified.

Not sure if I will keep watching, but I will give it one or two episode at least.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-03, 17:42   Link #136
RobotCat
In a Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Honestly he is generic and boring protagonist, but I have to admit he has skills and good reflexes so at least in that metter he is better than all these guys who just become godly by sitting in Gundams. Not mention we don't know how that girl (whatever was her name) fall for him so it can be as well completely justified.

Not sure if I will keep watching, but I will give it one or two episode at least.
Isn't he just a 'normal' person? Well, I guess with superior natural reflexes and a pretty calm demeanor when under pressure. I think that already sets him a part from most protagonists we get for these kind of shows. I mean, usually the mecha pilots are hot blooded or indecisive.
RobotCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-03, 18:11   Link #137
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post

Unless I missed something, I've not seen any special skills on his part apart from being alright at basketball and having reflexes that aren't terrible.

Not saying the romance won't be justified within the narrative, but it's quite clear where this is going.

That said, it's too early to judge. Maybe it won't be as bad as it looks.*

*this reasoning has never worked out for me so far. It usually is.
Old 2014-01-03, 18:27   Link #138
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Yeah, I'm just here for the NICE COUPLING.

No, actually it wasn't bad. Hina kind of annoyed me when how awkward she acted around the MC. All that fumbling and blushing was just, bleh. But, I'll be sticking around to see how this progresses.
Cloudedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-03, 18:34   Link #139
Vena
Carpe Diem

Well I enjoyed the first episode, so I'll leave it there until I can see more to form a more robust opinion.
Old 2014-01-03, 19:06   Link #140
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post
Unless I missed something, I've not seen any special skills on his part apart from being alright at basketball and having reflexes that aren't terrible.

Not saying the romance won't be justified within the narrative, but it's quite clear where this is going.

That said, it's too early to judge. Maybe it won't be as bad as it looks.*

*this reasoning has never worked out for me so far. It usually is.
Actualy his reflexes not just aren't terrible, but they are clearly extraordinary and same goes for basketball, though we didn't see full extend of that. There is no need deny him credit for it as Buddy Complex probably will be as bad as it looks anyway...
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, giant robots, sci-fi, sunrise, time travel