AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-07-13, 02:02   Link #21
The One Above God
Kamijou

^Well, those people couldn't really help it though. A narrow minded era, a blindingly strong faith and obedience to the church, the church people taking advantage of that faith, plus the threat of Dracula's demons bearing down on their spirits and making them do reckless decisions, add all those and this is what happens.

"I'll destroy that illusion!"
The One Above God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-13, 02:09   Link #22
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The One Above God View Post
^Well, those people couldn't really help it though. A narrow minded era, a blindingly strong faith and obedience to the church, the church people taking advantage of that faith, plus the threat of Dracula's demons bearing down on their spirits and making them do reckless decisions, add all those and this is what happens.
Historical context for shitty human behavior isn't really important, the relevance to narrative context of the story is.

We're not watching a History Channel program, we're watching an ultra violent video game adaptation of Misadventures of Count Dracula and The Asshole Church.
You wouldn't bring PC-ness to episodes discussion of Ultimate Hellsing would you?
Old 2017-07-13, 03:11   Link #23
The One Above God
Kamijou

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Historical context for shitty human behavior isn't really important, the relevance to narrative context of the story is.

We're not watching a History Channel program, we're watching an ultra violent video game adaptation of Misadventures of Count Dracula and The Asshole Church.
I'm sorry, I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. All I did was point out that the Wallachians are shitty people, not necessarily because they're shitty in nature, but mostly because of the circumstances that have been presented in the story itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
You wouldn't bring PC-ness to episodes discussion of Ultimate Hellsing would you?
Well, I don't really know anything about Hellsing aside from there being a vampire named Alucard so, no?

"I'll destroy that illusion!"
The One Above God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-13, 03:16   Link #24
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The One Above God View Post
I'm sorry, I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. All I did was point out that the Wallachians are shitty people, not necessarily because they're shitty in nature, but mostly because of the circumstances that have been presented in the story itself.
I'm saying that they're not real people, they're a narrative existence.
They're shitty people because they're meant to be for the context of the story.

Edit: Still may not be explanatory enough, so let me add: Basically they're portrayed in a cartoonishly garbage caricature, there's no need to apologetically feel bad about them. Unlike, say, a more fleshed out "character" such as the Count himself.
We don't have to make excuses about not liking them.

Last edited by aohige; 2017-07-13 at 04:21.
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-27, 12:35   Link #25
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Just finished watching season 2. The first episodes were a bit boring because Trevor's group barely fought and the most important antagonists, Dracula and Isaac, had their past explored. The characterization and flashbacks were good but there was not too much action for a season that needed an entire one entire year. Then came episode 6 onwards which completely won me over.

All battles were incredibly detailed even though I never played a Castlevania game. The final fight between Alucard and Dracula might be cheese but when Dracula saw his son's original room and family picture, it got epic as Dracula seemed to regain all of his hummanity left. Still, I was confused with Dracula's final move. I can't tell if it was meant to be a hug or not because they had to decapitate him or Dracula was just playing his role of being the monster.

Then the final episode seem pretty much like an indication to season 3. Wonder what are they planning considering we still have more characters to explore.
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-27, 22:01   Link #26
Wheeljack83

The pacing for the first half of season 2 was definitely iffy and clunky.

Also Episode 8 was sorta pointless. They should've extended the climax more.
Wheeljack83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-27, 22:37   Link #27
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeljack83 View Post

Also Episode 8 was sorta pointless. They should've extended the climax more.
Guess they just were trying to the biggest cliffhanger so that people would want for a season 3.
Old 2018-10-28, 01:30   Link #28
Wheeljack83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
Guess they just were trying to the biggest cliffhanger so that people would want for a season 3.
Wasn't that big of a cliffhanger though.

Spoiler:
Old 2018-10-28, 08:30   Link #29
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/int...hankar/.138622

-So is Season 3 right around the corner?

-No timeline yet for season 3. We know what the story is, but beyond that, no announcements yet.

I wonder why. Still, the budget for this episodes must be huge considering the animation.
Old 2018-10-28, 12:19   Link #30
sayde

Spoiler for season 2:
sayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-29, 03:20   Link #31
Wheeljack83

A lot of whining from AniTubers about Goblin Slayer, not a single peep about Castlevania.

This is pretty horrific.

Spoiler:

And listen, all the power to Castlevania if it wants to use such imagery. There's clearly a point to it, but where's all THIS IS NOTHING BUT GRIMDARK EDGE SHOCK FACTOR!
Old 2018-10-29, 03:22   Link #32
Wheeljack83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/int...hankar/.138622

-So is Season 3 right around the corner?

-No timeline yet for season 3. We know what the story is, but beyond that, no announcements yet.

I wonder why. Still, the budget for this episodes must be huge considering the animation.
Probably because they just did Season 2 and want to see the reception before they move forward. Keep in mind Season 2 was eight episodes, so it had to be at least double the budget of the original.
Old 2018-10-29, 09:02   Link #33
sayde

Quote:
And listen, all the power to Castlevania if it wants to use such imagery. There's clearly a point to it, but where's all THIS IS NOTHING BUT GRIMDARK EDGE SHOCK FACTOR!
I imagine that if they provided more emphasis on that scene (ie. showing a baby (or babies) repeatedly getting munched on in all its full gory detail, then maybe it might attract more attention and ridicule.

For instance, I noticed in Goblin Slayer, the controversial scene in episode 1 was pretty fleshed out. Some could easily argue it dragged on and showed far more than necessary to drive home a point thats often made with fewer scenes and emphasis in other fictional and non fictional works.

Granted, there's still plenty of people who'll disagree with controversial scenes regardless of their duration and level of detail. But that's my guess on where at least some of the ridicule stems from.
Old 2018-10-29, 10:45   Link #34
Wheeljack83

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayde View Post
I imagine that if they provided more emphasis on that scene (ie. showing a baby (or babies) repeatedly getting munched on in all its full gory detail, then maybe it might attract more attention and ridicule.

For instance, I noticed in Goblin Slayer, the controversial scene in episode 1 was pretty fleshed out. Some could easily argue it dragged on and showed far more than necessary to drive home a point thats often made with fewer scenes and emphasis in other fictional and non fictional works.

Granted, there's still plenty of people who'll disagree with controversial scenes regardless of their duration and level of detail. But that's my guess on where at least some of the ridicule stems from.
Right after that poor infant in Castlevania, there's a sequence of horrific imagery of the destruction the Night Horde has wrought in Gresit. There's a clear image of a mother screaming and howling in pure terror over the sight of a BLOODY baby crib. That's all that is left of the baby that just got taken.
Old 2018-10-29, 16:32   Link #35
sayde

Quote:
Right after that poor infant in Castlevania, there's a sequence of horrific imagery of the destruction the Night Horde has wrought in Gresit. There's a clear image of a mother screaming and howling in pure terror over the sight of a BLOODY baby crib. That's all that is left of the baby that just got taken.
My point still stands though. They show the baby in the jaws of the monster, but they don't revisit that scene over and over and over again showing every gruesome detail of the monster devouring a baby.

As for all that other stuff, it's horrific, sure, but nothing that hasn't been seen before.

This is a trend that just seems to fall in line with the media culture of western society in general. For whatever reason, brutal violence and gore is more widely shown in media because it's far more accepted in what we're willing to tolerate and even let minors view. But when it comes to nudity (much less rape/sexual assault), that's a huge no-no. For whatever the reason may be, our society is just far more sensitive when it comes to the subject and when it comes to scenes like that.

So I've no doubt at least some of the controversy from ep1 of Goblin Slayer is at least partially due to this double standard.

Anyways, this is the last I'm gonna say on the issue. I don't want to derail this thread off topic any longer.
Old 2018-10-29, 16:52   Link #36
rpgman1

Season 3 is happening and hope it's from
Spoiler for this game:
Although not sure how they're going to adapt that though since the story somewhat changed.
rpgman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-29, 18:46   Link #37
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgman1 View Post
Season 3 is happening and hope it's from
Spoiler for this game:
Although not sure how they're going to adapt that though since the story somewhat changed.
According to the guys from ANN
Spoiler for season 3?:
Old 2018-10-30, 15:38   Link #38
Twi

My goodness. The fight choreography is amazing.

Spoiler:

A review said that it was like the show was going for one thing but it eventually ended up having to force the final battle with dracula when it would have been more fit for season three, like the staff was forced to rewrite the last few episodes to get to that point. Mind you, I never played Castlevania so I can't talk.
Old 2018-10-30, 15:46   Link #39
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
A lot of whining from AniTubers about Goblin Slayer, not a single peep about Castlevania.

This is pretty horrific.

Spoiler:

True, but rape as a shock value is a lot more appalling than gore as a shock value, for obvious reasons.
They could have made Godbrand into a rapist viking. It would "fit" this character. But they didn't. Why? because that's tacky and it would have been a shit storm.
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-30, 15:55   Link #40
Twi

That and considering he calls humans livestock while the other vampire women we see are his equals, it wouldn't make sense.