AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-05-14, 21:32   Link #161
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

If anything, Pendulum Summoning is a support tool more than a primary method given how it makes Synchro Summoning and Xyz Summoning even easier even if you have to be careful with how you utilize it (given it eat up your hand if you spam out too many monsters at once), but yes, you could use it to bring out a bunch of straight out powerful monsters (at least in terms of ATK) from your hand without Tribute Summoning or other methods.

I really see it as, again, a support method or a finishing method.
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-15, 20:02   Link #162
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

I didn't stick around for ZEXAL after like, episode 2, but is it just me or this series screams "tutorial" everywhere? I am under the impression, and this might be just nostalgia googles, that 5D's started out with at least a semblance of a plot and the duels weren't trying so hard to sell me on the new concepts introduced as this does. It was alright for episode 1, but we're up to 5 now and it just feels like they're going baby steps here with each new episode making a huge fuss over some mechanic, some of which are actually old as hell by now.

I realize you'll attract new players/viewers and as such it'd be important to ease the introduction process out for them, but certainly everyone's understood by now how Action Duels generally work, and there's no need to have every character onscreen shouting how awesome it is and how Action Cards work every other second. Show me that things are fun/awesome, don't be content with just repeating the same mantra over and over again, I guess?

I really feel like this show desperately needs to find a hook. It introduced a bit of Yuya's past and it seemed like it'd be his motivation and take it somewhere, but right now all they're really doing is adding a random character every week who shouts "pensummoning is awesome!" and then having a poor duel take place. I'm sticking around because, well, it's Yu-Gi-Oh! and he doesn't get on my nerves like Yuma did right away, but I sure hope it improves fast.
Old 2014-05-15, 21:15   Link #163
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-kun View Post
I didn't stick around for ZEXAL after like, episode 2, but is it just me or this series screams "tutorial" everywhere? I am under the impression, and this might be just nostalgia googles, that 5D's started out with at least a semblance of a plot and the duels weren't trying so hard to sell me on the new concepts introduced as this does. It was alright for episode 1, but we're up to 5 now and it just feels like they're going baby steps here with each new episode making a huge fuss over some mechanic, some of which are actually old as hell by now.

I realize you'll attract new players/viewers and as such it'd be important to ease the introduction process out for them, but certainly everyone's understood by now how Action Duels generally work, and there's no need to have every character onscreen shouting how awesome it is and how Action Cards work every other second. Show me that things are fun/awesome, don't be content with just repeating the same mantra over and over again, I guess?

I really feel like this show desperately needs to find a hook. It introduced a bit of Yuya's past and it seemed like it'd be his motivation and take it somewhere, but right now all they're really doing is adding a random character every week who shouts "pensummoning is awesome!" and then having a poor duel take place. I'm sticking around because, well, it's Yu-Gi-Oh! and he doesn't get on my nerves like Yuma did right away, but I sure hope it improves fast.
Yeah. I find it hard to believe they'd be so excited to see a fusion monster. It's like using special types of summoning requires talent or something. What so hard about moving a few cards? the champion didn't use any special types of summoning either.
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-17, 03:44   Link #164
DMurphy

All Yu-Gi-Oh series kind of have an element of the tutorial/card game ad in them, but no, I see what you mean, it is more pronounced here than it has been since - well, probably since GX, to be honest, which kind of had an excuse.

I have faith that after a few episode they'll settle down and get into the actual meat of the plot, though.

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-18, 21:30   Link #165
anime fan99

who the guy With the yugi moto looking hair
anime fan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-19, 07:01   Link #166
Marina2

Whoa,........

Spoiler for Ep.7 preview:
Old 2014-05-20, 00:13   Link #167
elior

so his is going to be the first series where they bring different summons to one show intresting
elior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-20, 00:21   Link #168
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by elior View Post
so his is going to be the first series where they bring different summons to one show intresting
They've done that since Duel Monsters, which had both Fusion and Ritual Summoning (albeit not common), GX also having Fusions and Rituals, 5D's had a couple instances of Fusion (Multi-Piece Golem a couple times and Surging Dragon Knight - Dragoequites once), and ZeXal with one instance of Fusion (Super-Electromagnetic Dragon - Magnedragon).
Old 2014-05-20, 00:49   Link #169
Frontier

Arcana Knight Joker was another fusion in Zexal .

Though that one appearance was pretty much a waste .
Old 2014-05-20, 01:02   Link #170
Awrya
U mad?

Either Fusion/Synchro/XYZ monster cards are extremely rare in the world or they never hand out those rue books that are with every structure deck.

XYZ gets introduced next episode, it actually has a decent effect.
Would have liked it more if it was a quick effect, required 1 detachment and effect lasts until the EP of the turn.
Old 2014-05-20, 01:10   Link #171
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awrya View Post
Either Fusion/Synchro/XYZ monster cards are extremely rare in the world or they never hand out those rue books that are with every structure deck.

XYZ gets introduced next episode, it actually has a decent effect.
Would have liked it more if it was a quick effect, required 1 detachment and effect lasts until the EP of the turn.
1.) Only Duel Monsters, GX, and 5D's are canonically connected. ZeXal and now Arc-V are their own universes with their own timelines and such, so the availability of various cards will differ.

2.) Honestly, Dark Rebellion Xyz Dragon isn't really that special. It's actually a pretty basic Xyz Monster (albeit still better than most of the earliest basic ZeXal Xyz Monsters) compared to some of the mid to later ZeXal ones.

Dark Rebellion Xyz Dragon (Xyz)
Dark/Dragon/4/2500/2000
2 Level 4 monsters
You can remove 2 Xyz Materials from this card, then target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls. Halve its ATK, and if you do, this card gains ATK equal to the amount of ATK that target lost.

...which isn't surprising since we're still early in the series and, as each series has done, they tend to start out with pretty basic cards and effects until they start getting into a plot point in which case they start to get into more advanced and complex cards and effect.
Old 2014-05-20, 04:28   Link #172
Marina2

so, if Pendulum Monster is destroyed and sent to the extra deck, player can just keep summoning it back to the field again as long as there is a pendulum scale on the field.

Is this correct?
Old 2014-05-20, 05:22   Link #173
elior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera View Post
1.) Only Duel Monsters, GX, and 5D's are canonically connected. ZeXal and now Arc-V are their own universes with their own timelines and such, so the availability of various cards will differ.

2.) Honestly, Dark Rebellion Xyz Dragon isn't really that special. It's actually a pretty basic Xyz Monster (albeit still better than most of the earliest basic ZeXal Xyz Monsters) compared to some of the mid to later ZeXal ones.

Dark Rebellion Xyz Dragon (Xyz)
Dark/Dragon/4/2500/2000
2 Level 4 monsters
You can remove 2 Xyz Materials from this card, then target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls. Halve its ATK, and if you do, this card gains ATK equal to the amount of ATK that target lost.

...which isn't surprising since we're still early in the series and, as each series has done, they tend to start out with pretty basic cards and effects until they start getting into a plot point in which case they start to get into more advanced and complex cards and effect.
by the next episodes titles and summerys it seems the first plot arc will begin after the episode with yuzu and sawatari
elior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-20, 14:45   Link #174
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
so, if Pendulum Monster is destroyed and sent to the extra deck, player can just keep summoning it back to the field again as long as there is a pendulum scale on the field.

Is this correct?
If the player chooses to, yes, but they'd only be able to come back as monsters and their Levels would have to be between the Scales of the 2 Pendulum Zone ones.
Old 2014-05-22, 15:00   Link #175
stardrago

You know, since the past series we've seen the main character's ace monster getting upgrades. For Yuuya his ace monster became an pendulum monster in the first episode, however with the return of the other summoning rituals I wonder if later on his Odd Eyes will gain like a fusion form, a synchro form, and a Xyz form as well.
stardrago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-22, 15:37   Link #176
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardrago View Post
You know, since the past series we've seen the main character's ace monster getting upgrades. For Yuuya his ace monster became an pendulum monster in the first episode, however with the return of the other summoning rituals I wonder if later on his Odd Eyes will gain like a fusion form, a synchro form, and a Xyz form as well.
Let's see. Dark Magician was a stand alone monster with some fusion and ritual variations. Don't even get me started on Neos. Stardust got new synchro upgrades. Utopia was pretty much the same plus ZW equip cards. So yeah. I think we can look forward to Odd-Eyes getting some sort of pendulum upgrade, but I don't think it'll be used for fusion, synchro, or xyz.
Old 2014-05-22, 16:56   Link #177
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Dark Rebellion Xyz Dragon all but screams "evil Odd-Eyes Pendulum Dragon".
Old 2014-05-25, 04:50   Link #178
balongbitz
Ordinary Bystander

plot twist everyone.
Spoiler:
Old 2014-05-25, 09:10   Link #179
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera View Post
Dark Rebellion Xyz Dragon all but screams "evil Odd-Eyes Pendulum Dragon".
So his rival is an XYZ user?
Old 2014-05-25, 14:40   Link #180
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
So his rival is an XYZ user?
Or possibly just one of them. After all, Judai/Jaden had several would-be "rivals" in GX in Manjoume/Chazz, Ryo/Zane, Ed/Aster, and Johan/Jessie.