AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

View Poll Results: Hanasaku Iroha - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 10 14.29%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 14 20.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 28 40.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 24.29%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.43%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-09, 15:29   Link #101
.x.crii.x.
To the beat//

Anyway, we still have 20 more episodes to go so we´ll just have to wait and see.

If TooruxOhana does happen:

Maybe those who don't support will eventually come to be fine with or maybe even ship it. It depends on the development.

If TooruxOhana doesn't happen:
....I'll cut my wrists....Well no, I'll just move on. xD;;
Old 2011-05-09, 15:32   Link #102
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
Guh, Tohru should just die, maybe he'll get into a bike accident and will be absent for most of the show, stuck in a hospital and no one comes to visit. Scumbag.

/end Tohru hate

Pretty uneventful episode otherwise, still plenty to go so I'm not complaining. And goddamn do I hate the singers voice in the Op and ED, completely ruins both.
Old 2011-05-09, 15:36   Link #103
VentAileron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Keep in mind wikipedia is not exactly always a reliable source. The definition of slice of life has gained broader usage in recent years, and so may people have tussled with its definition lately. There is no real agreement on it.
I'm fully aware of that. Note the question mark before the quote. Arabesque mentioned a standard definition, so I just based my argument while assuming there is actually a standard definition.

Also, if there is no hard definition of a word, one could not use it to properly communicate, let alone build an argument from it, which is the reason I started tackling this subject in the first place.

Apart from that, I'm glad I'm not the only one not wanting a Ohana x Tohru ending.
Old 2011-05-09, 15:47   Link #104
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by .x.crii.x. View Post
If TooruxOhana does happen:

Maybe those who don't support will eventually come to be fine with or maybe even ship it. It depends on the development.

If TooruxOhana doesn't happen:
....I'll cut my wrists....Well no, I'll just move on. xD;;
I personally doubt TooruXOhana will happen at the end of the series. But it seems almost unfathomable at this point that Tooru's attraction to Ohana isn't going to get examined/played up in some manner*.

*And no. The absence of scenes of with Tohru interacting with Nako (romantic or otherwise) do NOT represent evidence for Tohru having feelings for Nako. That's just silly.

People should refer to this video to fully understand this logical fallacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soconfused View Post
Guh, Tohru should just die, maybe he'll get into a bike accident and will be absent for most of the show, stuck in a hospital and no one comes to visit. Scumbag.
You seem pretty mad. I would suggest a Taxidermist.
Old 2011-05-09, 16:10   Link #105
VentAileron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
*And no. The absence of scenes of with Tohru interacting with Nako (romantic or otherwise) do NOT represent evidence for Tohru having feelings for Nako. That's just silly.
Ehh, the person who mentioned that did that in the other topic.

As for why people don't like Tohru x Ohana. The reason I am personally a bit afraid of a Tohru x Ohana ending is that since the beginning I've a certain ending in mind that could work out plenty well (i.e. satisfying). This ending naturally involves Ohana x Ko. Also I've no idea where they want to go if they did a Tohru x Ohana ending. But like you said, it's probably not going to happen. So no reason to panick (just yet) guys!
Old 2011-05-09, 16:24   Link #106
zero7090

oh shiiiiiit, what i scared from ep 5 have come. flag is raised ...... let petition so the director will change the plot in the end of the series so we wont have NTR ending with we - the audiences are the main char.
Old 2011-05-09, 16:56   Link #107
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

Quote:
People should refer to this video to fully understand this logical fallacy.
Your video completely enlightened me. I will now drink beer and talk like Samuel Jackson where I go when I need to explain the absence of evidence. Thank you.

I have little idea how the discussion turned into a debate of slice-of-life. Um... whenever I envision "slice-of-life" I think of the typical and ordinary. Stuff that would really happen to me, just as it could happen to you or any other normal person. Within the term is an assumed lack of excitement, extraordinaire, and exposition. Really, slice-of-life is about what happens all the time to normal people; I would even call slice-of-life intentionally boring and procedural. That's certainly how I felt with episodes 2, 4, and 5.

Hanasaku Iroha is at times a little too dramatic and eventful to qualify for slice-of-life, but most of the time it's rather average. Just Ohana, going to school and doing work at the inn. Of course, I can't leave out how emotional Ohana gets sometimes, and she often leads our story to very atypical situations. In episode 1, Ohana's resolve to accept punishment for her mistakes is something I wouldn't expect from most people. And in episode 6, Ohana's passion to try new things also goes above the usual inn worker standard. Let us not forget episode 3... truly, it was anything but normal.

I don't claim to fully understand the real meaning of slice-of-life. I am merely trying to make sense of whether Hanasaku Iroha falls in the same category as other slice-of-life anime I've watched. Personally, I think the genre applies, but only half of the time. The other half seems to fit with a different genre: "Coming-of-age"
Old 2011-05-09, 17:23   Link #108
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deconstructor View Post
Your video completely enlightened me. I will now drink beer and talk like Samuel Jackson where I go when I need to explain the absence of evidence. Thank you.
My work here is done then
Old 2011-05-09, 18:35   Link #109
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

I think between the china dress and episode 3, Nako is trying to kill me. Or get me arrested. And I think I might let her.

Ohana and her uncle's scene stole the show here. The service and comedy are all well and good, but HanaIro doesn't mess around when it's time to pull back and develop the players. The characters have real life to them just in the way they move, and make contact with one another and the environment. It's a very tactile show, and that's a quality that is sorely missing in anime. The sounds of footsteps, the swoosh of the clothes. It all comes together to make everything very warm, and alive.

We've settled into a groove now, and all of the major players with the possible exception of the Yuina have established their schtick. Uncle and his girlfriend will likely continue to make zany and unhelpful suggestions at the expense of the staff.

also LOL Minchi, u jelly?
Old 2011-05-09, 20:10   Link #110
Foreshadow
Nyaa~

Finally watched this episode 2 days late. I don't buy that the uncle wants to really improve in the inn. He came off as if he liked the business manager really, only being disappointed when she left (why couldn't he have gone a route like Ohana? something like that). It's nice that the grandmother is actually a really caring person (at least she's starting to come off as a real softy).

Though it really comes off to me as Tohru has an interest in Nako, not Ohana. I mean yes, Minchi saw Ohana in there but that was Minchi's view not Tohru's, she focused in on Ohana. So really it's a 50/50 chance. But it's a feeling, a strong feeling that he's got his eyes on Nako. For all I know it could be Ohana though.

I'm not going to lie, having a love triangle would be fun too, and I would fully advocate one.
Old 2011-05-09, 20:58   Link #111
Sugarless Ocean
Ms. Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
You remind me of an animesuki forum user called Lego...
For what reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreshadow
I'm not going to lie, having a love triangle would be fun too, and I would fully advocate one.
Mmm, as much as I love drama, a love triangle with Minchi and Ohana would tear them apart. It already took so long for Ohana to get Minko to like (tolerate?) her, I would be so irritated if it was all for nothing.

*sigh* But I want TooruxOhana to happen too... orz
Old 2011-05-09, 21:23   Link #112
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I absolutely think the Uncle want to improve things at the inn, whether he's hot for the management consultant or not. First of all, the episode went to a lot of trouble to set up an analogous situation with the time that Grandma wanted to improve the inn and Grandpa resisted. Second of all, the inn is his inheritance and presumably the only means he sees of sustaining himself since he's likely never learned how to do anything else. Grandma probably has enough money to last her till she dies - he has no such luxury.
Old 2011-05-09, 21:52   Link #113
Jonothon

"good moring low class inn, good morning low class inn workers"

No wonder the consultant brought the clothes she did, but I dont think her addition was superfluous or filler. The consultant's take on the same idea that madam manager had, was just on the wrong end of the spectrum and demonstrated, at least for me, how much better impact the classier, tradtional constumes had overall. It fit in with the overall feel of the place to me.
Old 2011-05-09, 21:58   Link #114
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I absolutely think the Uncle want to improve things at the inn, whether he's hot for the management consultant or not.
Agreed.

However, I did get a strong sense that he was interested in the management consultant too.

Last edited by Pellissier; 2011-05-10 at 02:37. Reason: removed slice of life debate portion (that has been moved into general discussion thread)
Old 2011-05-10, 02:39   Link #115
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

The discussion about whether a series is slice of life or just has elements of slice of life is old and stale. There are different views, which are not easily subject to changes. Furthermore, this is Hanasuka Iroha episode 6 discussion thread, so really the wrong place to talk about it.

The whole slice of life debate has been moved to Hanasaku Iroha (generic discussion thread) , so feel free to go ahead there.
Old 2011-05-10, 04:32   Link #116
Gohan78
Awakened One

Quote:
Desires of the viewer aside, that's not a good arguement for Tohru actually having this unstated or hinted crush at Nako instead of Ohana

I think people should observe these kind of relations in series less based on their personal shipping views, and more on what they see happening on screen. Things tend to get REALLY wacky when you don't.
Mari Okada already trolled us at the end of episode 5, when it seemed for all intents and purposes that Tooru was going out with Yuina. That's why I am skeptical towards his implied crush on Ohana. It's just too obvious.
Ko-chan has been built up as the main love interest for 5 episodes now. I would be surprised if the series doesn't end up with a KoXOhana pairing.
Finally, Ohana has been trying to be friends with Minchi since the beginning; a love triangle at this point would hinder all her progresses.
That said, I am no shipper for this series. I don't have enough emotional attachment to the characters to care about their romance. I am just speaking about what I think is the best outcome from a story perspective.
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Old 2011-05-10, 06:47   Link #117
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
Mari Okada already trolled us at the end of episode 5, when it seemed for all intents and purposes that Tooru was going out with Yuina. That's why I am skeptical towards his implied crush on Ohana. It's just too obvious.
The thing with Yuina was something that at the time got pulled out of completely out of nowhere. When I saw it, it SCREAMED *anime misunderstanding* (The Yuina thing popped suspiciously out of nowhere, as opposed to the Ohana thing that has been steadily buiding). So I didn't feel remotely trolled when it turned out the entire thing going on with Tooru and Yuina was completely innocent (or as innocent as anything with Yuina can get).

Tooru having misunderstood feelings towards Nako honestly would come off as bad writing to me. You simply DON'T spend this much time sprinkling for a certain plot thread being in development, only to reveal that it was an entirely unrelated plot thread you were working for. That's just sloppy writing, and if anything the writing in Hanasaku Iroha as been exceptionally tight.
Quote:
Finally, Ohana has been trying to be friends with Minchi since the beginning; a love triangle at this point would hinder all her progresses.
That said, I am no shipper for this series. I don't have enough emotional attachment to the characters to care about their romance. I am just speaking about what I think is the best outcome from a story perspective.
The likelihood of TooruXOhana turning out in the end has zero bearing on the probability of Tohru feeling attracted to Ohana. Anime has one sided crushes allot. And I'd say they're building up to a relationship triangle (quadrangle) being a source of tension within the story.
Old 2011-05-10, 07:51   Link #118
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Would like to comment about Ohana's grandmother. This was the episode I actually realized her name is Suis lol. Anyway...

Ohana’s grandmother has been shown to be a rather antagonistic character in the show, at least to Ohana, but the past few episodes have shown just how much of a soft character exists under that stern and tough exterior. It’s not as if she’s like a rock standing against the crashing waves of modernity, but rather that she really has her own sense of direction and intentions for the inn that she has managed to for longer than anyone of can imagine. It’s just that her status gives her a large amount of pride, pride she maintains to keep the inn functioning and keeping her in command of it’s destiny. At the same time it doesn’t mean she rejects change, but rather than she refuses to let radical change she cannot control and comprehend overwhelm the sense of tradition she herself still maintains for the institution. Watching Ohana don the clothes she has made over the years, and seeing the Tsun side of her from it, shows that deep down inside she does really care. It’s only that she is a cautious inn matron and matriarch, ever watchful of the things happening around her world, yet also trying to maintain the ways of the old while letting the new in as well.

Think about it, if she rejected all of modernity, she wouldn’t have let her son and grand daughter work there.
Old 2011-05-10, 09:21   Link #119
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Ko-chan has been built up as the main love interest for 5 episodes now. I would be surprised if the series doesn't end up with a KoXOhana pairing.
It shouldn't end as Ko x Ohana because he's in another city. If he transfers to where she's at, that would be another matter. It's not realistic to expect teens to have a long distance relationship.

Basically, Ko needs to move on. Ohana never saw him as a love interest but as a best friend. She didn't appreciate what he was doing until she moved away and had to do it on her own.

And Minchi has to move on. If Tohru picks Ohana, then Minchi can go out with one of the guys in her school instead. Crushes don't mean squat. It's dating that counts. From Tohru's standpoint, it's better to date someone outside of his dept. That way people won't say he not being as critical as he wants to regarding Minchi because he's dating Minchi. She only got her job there because he wanted to date her etc. If that happens, Minchi would prob get fired as she is the least useful of the 2 (Tohru vs Minchi).

Last edited by orion; 2011-05-10 at 09:39.
Old 2011-05-10, 11:11   Link #120
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post

Forgot to say I quite liked the ED,seems I'm in the minority when it comes to liking the singer's voice though.
The ED? There's 4 voices tho.. and only 2 available as characters in this title

So which one.?

And that youtube video made me want to say this .. WHAT?

Hobiron!

/goes back lurking
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Closed Thread