AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > AnoHana

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-04, 05:04   Link #1
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

AnoHana - Character Discussion - Jintan (Yadomi Jinta)

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Jintan (Yadomi Jinta) related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all AnoHana fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2011-05-04, 17:17   Link #2
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Gotta have at least some discussion for the main character, no?

I feel for Jinta quite a bit. He seems totally weighed down by regret, and unlike most kids his age the people he'd like to make amends with are already gone. I think that's why Menma came back.
Old 2011-05-05, 02:08   Link #3
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
is it just me? that Jinta's appearance reminds me of a slimed down Kouta Hirano from Highschool of the Dead, especially with his glasses on?
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Old 2011-05-05, 08:15   Link #4
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

The "ponytail" was rather funny, as well - but I agree, he resembles a slim Hirano.

Old 2011-05-05, 09:13   Link #5
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Jintan's resemblance with Hirano has to do with the animation crew of AnoHana being the same of Highschool of the Dead and Toradora among other shows.
Old 2011-05-05, 17:50   Link #6
User68604
Disabled By Request

^did not know...esp since im rewatching Hotd and i do see similarities in style...

maybe thats why i love anaru so much, since she kinda resembles takagi

neways,

jintan.. underachiever, emo, weak willed, changed the most from his childhood thru adolescence.

he will be very interesting to watch as his story "comes of age." albeit right now, its not that interesting, and hes the least liked of the chars in my opinion :P. would like to see him step up and really distinguish himself soon.
Old 2011-05-05, 22:12   Link #7
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

My problem with Jintan is that, as the protagonist, he most likely won't end up changing like the other characters will until the end of the series. Hopefully, the series does a good job of having his change be gradual instead of a more-or-less sudden realization.

For example, he was enjoying himself playing Nokemon and
Spoiler for Since Ep 4 just aired:
Those types of things are what I'm hoping to see peppered throughout the series.

What I find interesting is that he rejects everything. Everything that seems like it would hurt him, he says doesn't affect him and doesn't interest him. It's obvious why, but if he keeps that attitude up, it'll be really hard to bond with the other characters. I hope Menma and the other characters don't have to do everything for him.
Old 2011-05-05, 22:53   Link #8
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Yukiatsu is obviously disturbed, but his jab at Jinta was viciously accurate - "Whipped Dog". it captures him perfectly - from the eager, happy puppy he was, he's transformed into a skittish, defeated wreck. That's the central drama of the series as much as anything else.
Old 2011-05-05, 23:13   Link #9
.x.crii.x.
To the beat//

It was really harsh of Yukiatsu to call Jintan a whipped dog though. Oh and that "I never acknowleged you" was even harsher. DX

Jintan is a lovely guy, he needs a bit of understanding and friends to help him get out of the damn hole he´s in. I think he's slowly getting better though.
Old 2011-05-05, 23:27   Link #10
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by .x.crii.x. View Post
It was really harsh of Yukiatsu to call Jintan a whipped dog though. Oh and that "I never acknowleged you" was even harsher. DX

Jintan is a lovely guy, he needs a bit of understanding and friends to help him get out of the damn hole he´s in. I think he's slowly getting better though.
It was very harsh, and very mean - in the way that only the truth can be. But I think for all the Yukiatsu is still obsessed with Menma he's just as obsessed with Jinta. After all, not only was Jinta the de facto leader of the Super Peace Busters while Yukiatsu was a bit of an outsider, but he also had the inside track on Menma's love and didn't even seem to appreciate it. So what does the former Omega male do when the former Alpha is beaten down? Pick on him, dominate him - anything to keep him from becoming Alpha again.
Old 2011-05-05, 23:35   Link #11
.x.crii.x.
To the beat//

That makes sense. Pretty much defending his ego no?

He felt Jintan was superior to him before so now that Jintan is in his current state, he lashes and tries to bash him.
Old 2011-05-13, 01:21   Link #12
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Poor Jintan. He's at the very center of everything - the center of all the love and jealousy and resentment the Super Peace Busters can muster, and still the only one that can see Menma. As a child he loved being at the center of attention but now, as a "whipped dog" he recoils from it. Yet he can't escape - he's tried in his own way to honor Menma, but feels it isn't enough. He can't let his feelings of guilt go, and doesn't even have the small pleasure Yukiatsu gets from projecting his anger outward - all of his resentments are focused inward, on himself. He's in no condition to have everyone depend on him, but it seems to be his inescapable fate - where the Busters are concerned, that role will always fall to him.

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2011-05-13 at 16:19.
Old 2011-05-13, 02:45   Link #13
darkmanure

I think he's showing signs that he doesn't want to fulfill the wish in fear of her disappearing. He is also aware of his shut in ways, he's getting better bit by bit.

I want to see more of his problems with his mother. He must have a huge regret when it comes to his mother.

Last edited by darkmanure; 2011-05-16 at 02:32.
Old 2011-05-20, 16:01   Link #14
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

That was incredibly hard for Jintan to do, calling attention onto himself like that when he was on the verge of a panic attack already. It was an incredibly awkward yet still somewhat heroic act to come to Anaru's aid the way he did.
Old 2011-05-20, 17:28   Link #15
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
That was incredibly hard for Jintan to do, calling attention onto himself like that when he was on the verge of a panic attack already. It was an incredibly awkward yet still somewhat heroic act to come to Anaru's aid the way he did.
Yeah, I can definitely understand how hard that would be on Jintan to do. He really would have been happy to silently slip back into class that day. Yet he couldn't just sit there while Anaru was suffering like that. Put it all together and you have a heroic though awkward effort to divert attention and make them understand what kind of person Anaru is.

Good job Jintan. It was awkward but still a good job .
Old 2011-05-21, 01:37   Link #16
blewin

turns out Anaru's story has gone wild in the school. People hardly noticed that the forever absent student is back (even the teacher seemed to have missed that fact)
Kind of melodramatic to find out that Jinta worked himself up for nothing though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Yeah, I can definitely understand how hard that would be on Jintan to do. He really would have been happy to silently slip back into class that day. Yet he couldn't just sit there while Anaru was suffering like that. Put it all together and you have a heroic though awkward effort to divert attention and make them understand what kind of person Anaru is.

Good job Jintan. It was awkward but still a good job .
in totally agreement here. It was extremely hard for someone like him to come out of his shell. But just wait till he changes back to the young Jinta! I can't imagine how insanely popular he will become. As Yukiatsu said, even he himself got caught up in Jinta's pace despite Jinta's current condition. I hope to see Jinta regain some of his "shine" soon.

Chrome Shelled Regios
Old 2011-05-21, 10:24   Link #17
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I sincerely hope the wilder theories about Jinta's nosebleeds turn out to be false. That would be a plotquake of (Tokyo) magnitude 8.0.
Old 2011-05-21, 11:56   Link #18
EroKing

Yea, the series certainly needs to end on a warmer note, can't have too much drama.
Old 2011-05-26, 23:16   Link #19
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Honestly, I just don't see how anyone can not feel for Jintan - he just breaks my heart. Hasn't got a mean bone in his body and just wants to do the right thing, but somehow it's all gone wrong for him. He's carrying so much pain and self-directed anger that it's turned him prematurely into an old soul. Yet, when the chips are down and someone is in trouble - Anaru, Menma - he forces himself to step up no matter how uncomfortable it makes him. Heroism isn't doing stuff when it's easy - it's doing stuff when it's hard.

I'm not saying Jintan is a hero, but everything has been hard for him for so long - I think he just got tired of it all and couldn't bring himself to leave the house. As long as he was only hurting himself, he couldn't break himself out of it. In that sense Menma's return has already accomplished something, whether it was her wish or not.
Old 2011-05-27, 07:47   Link #20
blewin

and because of Menma he's slowly coming out of his shell. He said school's fun. I wish we got to see some school scenes with Jinta in it!

Chrome Shelled Regios
Closed Thread

Tags
characters