AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2004-04-25, 00:13   Link #1
Orchunter226
Is rather bored...

FLCL Discussion

Well i was watching T.V. and discovered an anime named FLCL, i watched the first episode. It is by far the starngest anime i have ever seen, its so weird and hard to follow, other than that its is decent artistry (other than intentional bad parts) and has a very cool soundtrack. Has anyone else seen it? and what did they think of it?
Orchunter226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-25, 00:48   Link #2
Lina Inverse
SL Aki fanclub president

It's an anime made by Gainax, some time ago already. It's pretty damn freaky indeed... besides its incredible freakyness, it also looks horrible, so I decided to pass on that one after checking it out.
Lina Inverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-25, 00:54   Link #3
Mistacloudstrife
"I'll cut them off..."

I believe they made it specifically for the music..... thats why the music is good.... i think. o.O??
Old 2004-04-25, 00:56   Link #4
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

it is one of the best anime series of all time
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-25, 01:07   Link #5
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

It's not as weird as Revolutionary Girl Utena. Geez!
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-25, 01:27   Link #6
Raxial
CG / Color

Send a message via AIM to Raxial
yeah, it's one of my favorites. It's probably the first anime that I'd ever thought about as much as something like The Catcher in the Rye (and please god, i hope you know that's a book, and that you've read it ). I might have to watch it once again to try to undestand it all. There's just something about it that makes it cool. Some people that say "I don't get it"... well, think about it more.
Raxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-25, 02:51   Link #7
skreech
Aspiring Mangaka/Animator

Send a message via MSN to skreech
FLCL was really funny and awesome. they animation was great and as for a plot....i was laughing to much most of the time to even try to understand it. i'd like to see them continue with it plot or not just because it was hillarious.
skreech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-25, 04:21   Link #8
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skreech
FLCL was really funny and awesome. they animation was great and as for a plot....i was laughing to much most of the time to even try to understand it. i'd like to see them continue with it plot or not just because it was hillarious.
They can't continue it. It's over, no more, done, finished, vite, <insert synonym for 'finished'>, etc... There is actually a viable plot and message to the series, I managed to notice it despite the rampant humor the first time I watched it. Oh well...

If you liked the anime try reading the manga. The story's is a little bit more difficult to follow, it jumps around... alot, but the message is the same.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-25, 13:28   Link #9
Wilcon

Send a message via ICQ to Wilcon Send a message via MSN to Wilcon
It was quite good, nice music. But i was dissapointed(thought it would have been much better).
Wilcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-25, 14:32   Link #10
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
the same though came to me when I saw evangelion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcon
It was quite good, nice music. But i was dissapointed(thought it would have been much better).
Yamano667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-25, 18:18   Link #11
skreech
Aspiring Mangaka/Animator

Send a message via MSN to skreech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
They can't continue it. It's over, no more, done, finished, vite, <insert synonym for 'finished'>, etc... There is actually a viable plot and message to the series, I managed to notice it despite the rampant humor the first time I watched it. Oh well...

If you liked the anime try reading the manga. The story's is a little bit more difficult to follow, it jumps around... alot, but the message is the same.
yeah yeah, i know i'm just saying it wouldnt be hard to continue it, tho i know it wont happen.
skreech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-25, 18:46   Link #12
Mcdonalds

although i watched it, i had heard it was wicked and expected high hopes of it. I didn't like it that much and the story is hard to follow and you won't fully know until last 2 eps, or so that was for me anyway. I really enjoyed the music though as that was the best part of the show but otherwise it was just an average/mediocre anime for me
Mcdonalds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-25, 20:59   Link #13
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

flcl is a great anime... I saw it for the first time a couple of months ago... and I thought the story, art and music were all nice...
Old 2004-04-25, 22:47   Link #14
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
FLCL is like, the best anime of all time.

You have to watch it three or for times to be elivated to the level of not understanding it. X'D

I watched it as the fansubs, and I watch it in the dub.

FLCL, IMHO, is one of the few anime's that have a good dub.

I wouldn't buy the DVDs tho, 25-30 dollars a DVD is outrage for only 2 episodes a disk. [ 3DVD total, 75+ bucks for 6 episodes? HA! ]
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-26, 10:08   Link #15
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komataguri
I wouldn't buy the DVDs tho, 25-30 dollars a DVD is outrage for only 2 episodes a disk. [ 3DVD total, 75+ bucks for 6 episodes? HA! ]
Only $75? You're one cheap bum. =P

I paid $50 for the first volume alone. Go buy it and quit complaining.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-26, 10:33   Link #16
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komataguri
FLCL, IMHO, is one of the few anime's that have a good dub.
I agree with you, I'm very intolerant with dubs, but FLCL dub is good.

Haruka dub voice match with the japanese voice, it's amazing.

But the show itself is too short. I want to see more Haruhara crazyness. ^^
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-26, 10:49   Link #17
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca
I agree with you, I'm very intolerant with dubs, but FLCL dub is good.

Haruka dub voice match with the japanese voice, it's amazing.

But the show itself is too short. I want to see more Haruhara crazyness. ^^

Not only did they match the voice types, but they even kept the prefixes, like -kun.

Honestly, When I first heard they were going to dub the series.. I thought they were going to maul it, Like in the first episode where she calls him Taro? I thought for sure they were going to change that to John.

FLCL, Excel Saga, Inu Yasha, and a few others are a rare breed. A breed of GOOD dubs.
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-27, 08:45   Link #18
machinistchild

Send a message via MSN to machinistchild
FLCL was very weird but cool. i love the music for it but i since i had to read subtitles i still can't figure out what FLCL (Fooly Cooly) means. does anyone know?. There where talking so fast that i could'ent understand.if anyone knows please reply.
machinistchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-27, 12:40   Link #19
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

IMHO, FLCL is the best work by GAINAX along with Gunbuster. and I even favor FLCL over Gunbuster.

And FLCL's ending totally ROCKS! it doesn't need any more continuation, it's simply one of the best, most beautifully ended anime.
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-09, 22:14   Link #20
ClancyDamon
クラシー デマン

Send a message via AIM to ClancyDamon
Symbolic Spelling in FLCL?

I'm sure everyone can attest to noticing dozens of new things every time they watch FLCL through. Well, just yesterday, a friend and I were watching the 2nd episode, and in the beginning, when Haruko is looking at an X-ray of Naota while wearing that Nurses outfit, I saw she had a nametag. Having taken a couple of classes in Japanese, I was able to read her name, but the spelling has me confused. The first 2 syllables of her name, HA and RU were spelled in Katakana: ハ and ル. The last syllable, KO, was the Kanji for Child: 子. I'm just wondering if this has some kind of signifigance. I thought I recalled from my teacher that you never mixed up words between the two character sets, meaning writing one word in both Katakana and Hirigana. Kanji obviously denotes a Hirigana spelling, so I'm wondering why this combination is. Why is her name spelled half foreign, with Katakana, and half native, with Kanji?
ClancyDamon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, gainax