AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-08-27, 08:42   Link #4161
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

Send a message via AIM to thevil1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
Why do anime characters have bangs (fringe for the non-Americans) by default, and the few who don't are oft known for their "large foreheads"? When in reality most people just wear hair back?
It has to do with the art style. Do you think it would look better the way it is now? or the way your talking about?
Old 2010-08-27, 08:46   Link #4162
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Why do anime characters have bangs (fringe for the non-Americans) by default, and the few who don't are oft known for their "large foreheads"? When in reality most people just wear hair back?
Just a random collection of photos, but not many Japanese people seem to wear their hair back.

http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

For an odder collection of hairwear (and street fashion):
http://www.google.com/images?q=japan...w=1372&bih=808

But you're right in that it is a bit odd that it seems to be made so much of in anime. It isn't as if the exposure of the forehead is unknown.
Old 2010-08-27, 22:05   Link #4163
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevil1 View Post
It has to do with the art style. Do you think it would look better the way it is now? or the way your talking about?
I think that it'd be nice if some more anime folk had more common hairdos; it's a bit weird to have a character who supposedly doesn't care much about his/her appearance having bangs, for example (making sure bangs look good in the morning takes time ).

New question: who is the Administrator of Animesuki? As in, the Big Boss, the CEO, the Don, the (possible) Father or Mother?

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2010-08-27 at 23:30.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-28, 01:08   Link #4164
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
New question: who is the Administrator of Animesuki? As in, the Big Boss, the CEO, the Don, the (possible) Father or Mother?
The founder of the site is GHDpro.

http://www.animesuki.com/doc.php/history.html
Old 2010-08-28, 01:17   Link #4165
Kudryavka

I see, thanks.
Old 2010-08-28, 19:26   Link #4166
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Is is weird for people at my age to discuss worldwide sociopolitical issues at length? I find that even on and off this forum, the only people whom I talk to about G20, economy and political issues are often in their late 20s and over that, mostly 10-20 years older than me.

Anyone else around my age group (18-23) give me blank stares when I mention things like Tea Party, subprime meltdown, foreclosure, general elections, financial statement, gold standard, etc. So what would be a normal conversation topic for people around my age?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-28, 20:13   Link #4167
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

Send a message via AIM to thevil1
Quote:
I think that it'd be nice if some more anime folk had more common hairdos; it's a bit weird to have a character who supposedly doesn't care much about his/her appearance having bangs, for example (making sure bangs look good in the morning takes time ).
I have bangs, and I don't care how they look in the morning. I just don't like then too short/long.
Old 2010-08-28, 21:38   Link #4168
mindovermatter
For me the bell tolls

Send a message via AIM to mindovermatter Send a message via MSN to mindovermatter Send a message via Yahoo to mindovermatter
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Is is weird for people at my age to discuss worldwide sociopolitical issues at length? I find that even on and off this forum, the only people whom I talk to about G20, economy and political issues are often in their late 20s and over that, mostly 10-20 years older than me.

Anyone else around my age group (18-23) give me blank stares when I mention things like Tea Party, subprime meltdown, foreclosure, general elections, financial statement, gold standard, etc. So what would be a normal conversation topic for people around my age?
hmm...girls/guys, music, drinking stories...
I feel you. I'm not good at conversations either.
But there must be people out there who share your interests

School Rumble 4Ever!
I'm on FB search "jym cl"
mindovermatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-28, 23:13   Link #4169
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:

Age do not really matter; you might find another 18-23 than have a interest about those thing and a 40+ thjan don't give a damn... For example, the chef and sous-chef where I work are about the same age, and yet I could probably have a good conversation about those kind of subject only with my chef.

If you want a 'real'' normal conversation topic, use weather, sport result or any others meaningless subject. But if you want a real conversation, first addapt your subject to the group, trying to talk of geopolitic with a group than was talking of the latest talkshow will probably end up as a fail.
Old 2010-08-28, 23:28   Link #4170
Kudryavka

Quote:

You don't hang around nerds like I often do, lol. If I'd mention these things, they'd explain it to me in full, then wonder why I brought it up.

But in your case, I can imagine that your friends aren't up to date on American history (Tea Party), since I don't think you're in America. If you have all those other issues in your country, then I'm not really sure why they don't know, unless they're blissfully ignorant.
Old 2010-08-29, 04:08   Link #4171
oompa loompa

Quote:

Nah I think its normal. At some point in time, even I've gotten into deep political conversations with even the least inclined people. Its interesting; I discuss it rarely with some people, and quite often with others. I enjoy philosophical and theoretical economic discussions too, it really happens quite often, and not a bad way to spend an hour or two over a beer or a joint.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 06:31   Link #4172
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:

At the risk of sounding elitist, it simply means that you are not among the niche group of young adults here who are actively interested in sociopolitical issues.

Back in my university days, international students at London School of Economics used to complain that the moment Singaporean students get together, they invariably talk about only two things: politics and national service.

Growing up, being a member of my secondary school and junior college's debating societies, I was constantly involved in verbal sparring over the rights and wrongs of government policy. As a literature, history and economics student, the topics up for debate ran the gamut, from the freedom of expression, the difficulties of judging right and wrong over subjective issues, the need to balance economic objectives with the need to achieve social justice, and so on.

Among the few friends I still keep in touch with regularly, I was once accused of being opinionated and argumentative. More recently, they now accuse me of being political correct for refusing, by default, to side with their decidedly anti-establishment points of view.

So, no, it's not weird to be engaged by such topics — there are people who love discussing such issues. But, most certainly, they make up only a very small minority. It's usually the case that people here prefer to avoid argument, as it usually generates a lot of hurt feelings over matters that most of us don't have direct control over anyway. So, why bother?
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 21:17   Link #4173
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
Nah I think its normal. At some point in time, even I've gotten into deep political conversations with even the least inclined people. Its interesting; I discuss it rarely with some people, and quite often with others. I enjoy philosophical and theoretical economic discussions too, it really happens quite often, and not a bad way to spend an hour or two over a beer or a joint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
If you want a 'real'' normal conversation topic, use weather, sport result or any others meaningless subject. But if you want a real conversation, first addapt your subject to the group, trying to talk of geopolitic with a group than was talking of the latest talkshow will probably end up as a fail.
The thing is that, I tend to spot a very common topic : criticising others behind their backs. Granted that I do that from time to time, but practically every group conversation I have been in after I left the army has always been verbally attacking someone who's not present for most of the part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Back in my university days, international students at London School of Economics used to complain that the moment Singaporean students get together, they invariably talk about only two things: politics and national service.
I thought talking about national service is the norm for Singaporean guys wherever they are.

Quote:
So, no, it's not weird to be engaged by such topics — there are people who love discussing such issues. But, most certainly, they make up only a very small minority. It's usually the case that people here prefer to avoid argument, as it usually generates a lot of hurt feelings over matters that most of us don't have direct control over anyway. So, why bother?
Actually, now that you have said that, I was wondering why people around me actively talk about others' actions and behaviours behind their backs when it is something they also have no direct control over. Maybe it is a "immediate concern" thing - anything that they can't see affecting them is regarded as harmless.

Maybe I should start hanging out with different people. Thanks for the answers guys.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-08-30, 10:43   Link #4174
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:

You just choose poorly whom you stand around

I can head for the pubs around many of the better colleges and find plenty of 18-23 aged types who can discuss such things competently. And they aren't especially "nerd" (unless we're going to define *anyone* who intends to be successful as a "nerd" -- see the Intellectual/anti-intellectual thread).

On the other hand.... yeah, I see plenty of "blank stares" regardless of the age group.... sometimes I call it that "bread and circuses" stare.

The Human race has a kind of 80/20 split in cluelessness/clues -- your objective is to find others in the 20% bracket.
Old 2010-08-30, 13:02   Link #4175
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post

The Human race has a kind of 80/20 split in cluelessness/clues -- your objective is to find others in the 20% bracket.
Speaking of 80/20, maybe the Pareto principle can be applied to human society. 80% of progress and innovation come from 20% of the population.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-30, 14:02   Link #4176
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Speaking of 80/20, maybe the Pareto principle can be applied to human society. 80% of progress and innovation come from 20% of the population.
Forums agree with your assessment:

Old 2010-08-30, 14:21   Link #4177
ChainLegacy
廉頗

It amazes me how accurate that principle is in so many different, seemingly unrelated areas.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-31, 19:56   Link #4178
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
You just choose poorly whom you stand around

I can head for the pubs around many of the better colleges and find plenty of 18-23 aged types who can discuss such things competently. And they aren't especially "nerd" (unless we're going to define *anyone* who intends to be successful as a "nerd" -- see the Intellectual/anti-intellectual thread).

On the other hand.... yeah, I see plenty of "blank stares" regardless of the age group.... sometimes I call it that "bread and circuses" stare.

I'm a Political Science major and sometimes enjoy conversations about politics, but in general I find I avoid them. I guess what it comes down to is while I enjoy thoughtful discussion, I don't like to argue... and many people who like to discuss politics do.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-01, 07:16   Link #4179
mindovermatter
For me the bell tolls

Send a message via AIM to mindovermatter Send a message via MSN to mindovermatter Send a message via Yahoo to mindovermatter
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Forums agree with your assessment:

yup, this is from people like me! I'm 90% of users who are practically incacitve

School Rumble 4Ever!
I'm on FB search "jym cl"
mindovermatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-01, 11:56   Link #4180
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
You'd be surprised at the significantly smaller bracket in the East Asia region (I estimate to be 5-10%) - everybody is interested in making money but nobody bothers to understand how the financial system works, and how politics and policies drive the market. And.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I'm a Political Science major and sometimes enjoy conversations about politics, but in general I find I avoid them. I guess what it comes down to is while I enjoy thoughtful discussion, I don't like to argue... and many people who like to discuss politics do.
I am currently doing a prepatory diploma to major in Finance or Economics, but that isn't my real interest. I am more interested in mechanical or aerospace engineering (yeah I know, I suck at math, don't rub it in).

I have come to see how actually many young adults have no interest or bother to discover how things work, be it a "science" (Engineering, theoretical science, etc) or "art" (Economics, political, etc) system. They are just interested in the shortest direct method to the end result - the worst method to use for achieving personal success IMO.

Sometimes I wonder why there is a lack of interest in "discovery" of the world and the surroundings we live in, I never bothered to ask this question since I doubt I could get any real answers. Maybe I could give it a try here, writing something in text could probably yield some good philosophy or insight I myself never thought of.

Tags
problem, q&a, serious