AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-08-26, 22:45   Link #1
Shinobu12

The best drama titles

Recently, I've been picking up alot of series that end up dissapointing me. I am looking for a series with a drama based plot, with decent comedy when it needs to be funny and possibly a touch of romance. I'm looking for a series with decent character development and also one rich in characters. An engaging story with meaningful drama.

To name a few that I have enjoyed alot:

Honey and Clover
- One of the best animes I've seen in recent years, I can particularly relate to this series with a great touch of drama and well blended romance/comedy.

Planetes - A very meaningful series, with exceptional drama and realistic romance.

FMWS - The later half of the series were a particular rollacoaster, a great series in the end.

KGNE - The drama and romance is intense throughout the series.

Haibane Renmei - This title was good, but I'm not looking for a physcological anime as much.

Monster - Slow at times, but overall, this series is a definite masterpiece.

Hantsuki /Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu - Two great watches that meet my requirements

Juuni Kokuki, Fruits Basket, Kare Kano, Maison Ikkoku etc
Old 2006-08-26, 23:04   Link #2
jedinat

Nana - sorta reminds me of Honey and Clover... more shoujo, though
Old 2006-08-26, 23:22   Link #3
mog08

Utawarerumono if you havn't seen it. Drama based, decent amount of romance and a touch of comedy. lots characters, developments, wide range of emotions.
Old 2006-08-26, 23:45   Link #4
fto
Anime Forever

fate /stay night - action drama fantasy

RAy the animation - drama scifi

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - drama horor mystery
Old 2006-08-26, 23:49   Link #5
Shinobu12

Thanks for the replies.

I've currently following NANA, I think it's pretty good yeah.
Utawreumono, isnt that action based? In any event, I will check it out.

I have seen Fate/stay night, Ray and some of Higurashi. FS/N was decent but had a few flaws, Ray was not something I enjoyed, at all. Highurashi is also not what I'm looking for.
Old 2006-08-26, 23:51   Link #6
fto
Anime Forever

Utawarerumono is action drama and fantasy.. good war scene in it too
Old 2006-08-27, 01:30   Link #7
noisytime
Insignificant Member

If you like Honey & Clover and NANA, you will probably like Welcome to the NHK a whole lot.
Old 2006-08-27, 10:04   Link #8
mit7059

You should try Beck Mongolian Chop Squad, it my person favorite anime of all time, outclassing even Honey & Clover, it also has a very realistic feel and the characters are likable and easy to relate to.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2006-08-27, 10:30   Link #9
RuFi
Hikikomori

You must see Saikano, Gankutsuou, Kimi ga Nozoumu Eien and FullMetal Alchemist (if you haven't seen it yet)
Old 2006-08-27, 10:48   Link #10
mit7059

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuFi
You must see Saikano, Gankutsuou, Kimi ga Nozoumu Eien and FullMetal Alchemist (if you haven't seen it yet)
If you read the original post you would see that they've already seen KGNE, and I hardly think that Fullmetal Alchemist fits with the rest of what they've watched.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2006-08-27, 11:10   Link #11
Theowne
耳をすませば

I might reccomend Saikano too, but it seems to be hit-and-miss, you either like it or you think it's too over-the-top in terms of wanting to be dramatic. But I thought it was nice.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2006-08-27, 11:11   Link #12
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I recommend NHK as well. It's not as lighthearted as Honey and Clover though, and focuses on the darker side of human nature.
Old 2006-08-27, 12:14   Link #13
MamoruUsagi

Here are some manga with drama

Kare First Love
Mars
The Devil Does Exist
High School Debut
Wild Act
Fushigi Yugi
Peach Girl
Sand Chronicles
B.O.D.Y.
Akuma De Sourou
Ceres Celestial Legend
Happy Hustle High
Kare Kano
Ultra Cute
Bokura ga Ita
Paradise Kiss
Marmalade Boy
Fushigi Yuugi
Ayashi no Ceres
Black Bird
Land of the Blindfolded
Doubt!!
Missile Happy!

Mars, a manga with romance drama, covering issues such as sex, romance, rape, suicide, engagement, dating and marriage.

The Devil Does Exist, amazing romance manga.

Kare First Love is great.

Wild Act is excellent.

Peach Girl, a realistic manga everyone can relate to. Their are 18 volumes. The way it was released is that volumes 1-8 are released as Peach Girl 1-8, but volumes 9-18 were released as Peach Girl Change of Heart 1-10. Make sure you get the right volumes, since you might accidentally buy the wrong volumes. Their are 18 volumes total. The manga is great and realistic, the anime cuts out everything and tones things down.

Fushigi Yuugi, Fushigi Yugi is a wonderful romance series. It is 18 manga volumes and has lots of romance, love, drama and excitement. Read the manga, it's 18 manga volumes and wonderful. The anime only goes up to volume 13. All manga 18 volumes are wonderful. If the entire series was made, their would be over 100 episodes. The manga series is great. It is very long and very romantic with lots of kissing, marriage, love, romance and the couple has a child.

Miaka and Tamahome are a wonderful couple. Tamahome and Taka are great characters. Tamahome and Taka are wonderful characters.

Ayashi no Ceres, the manga has lots of drama. The anime cuts out everything. Read the 14 volume manga, don't watch the anime. The manga is filled with drama, sex, romance and excitement.

Akuma de Sourou is an amazing romance manga.

Last edited by MamoruUsagi; 2010-09-20 at 12:22.
Old 2006-08-27, 18:15   Link #14
Onibaba
"Nice, Takemoto!"

NANA , Beck , and Saikano are splendid suggestions...each has enthralling character development which is one of the main reasons there is so much drama, it's hard not feel the characters emotions.
Old 2006-08-27, 19:54   Link #15
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Drama drama drama.....

+ AIR (all versions - movie, series, and the summer arc) is a good and i mean very good dramatic anime. it has rich storyline to be remembered that will make you cry (or almost cry).
+ Strawberry Panic is a yuri anime but also has drama on it and a little comedy every now and then. It's good to watch it.
+ Kannazuki no Miko (licensed). Another yuri anime but it has serious tone around it. Good story too.
+ Other animes I could recommend to you are: Maria sama Ga Miteru (both seasons [season 3 will be coming out soon]), and Kanon
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2006-08-27, 20:07   Link #16
Rengemaru
Mad Scientist

I don't know if your refering into manga or anime, but on the anime side I'd recommend:

1.AIR: My personal favourite drama. Very touching story wrapped in fantasy.
2.Kanon: From the same people who brought us AIR, if you liked AIR you'll like this one. Romance/drama with a mystery flavour. But you should wait until the remake is aired in oct.
3.Boys Be: School-life drama, great plot and great ending. What other reasons to watch?

Edit: And Cyz beats me to mention AIR x.x
Closed Thread