AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2011-08-16, 11:59   Link #781
Tetra Vaal
Banned

'The Town'-- outside of the performances from Jeremy Renner and Jon Hamm, the movie kinda drags and underwhelms. However, it's premise certainly owes thanks to 'The Friends of Eddie Coyle.'
Tetra Vaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 12:41   Link #782
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Over the weekend I watched Conan the Barbarian (the 1982 release), A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More. Yesterday I watched Secret Window, that was intriquing.
Old 2011-08-16, 13:40   Link #783
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
Over the weekend I watched Conan the Barbarian (the 1982 release), A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More. Yesterday I watched Secret Window, that was intriquing.
Sounds like a nice marathon batch of classics. I actually liked the second Conan movie as well though it was substantially milder in tone (more goofball less Nietzsche).

We saw "Cowboys and Aliens" over the weekend.... at the first matinee ($6/ticket). For that price I was reasonably entertained. Harrison, Daniel, and Olivia were good, giving their characters unexpected credibility, lots of good secondary acting work (e.g. the preacher, the Native chief).

As far as the movie... it reminded me intensely of the mid-20th Century Saturday serial adventures at the movies like Flash Gordon, Rocketman, and such. That's the sense it should be taken in I think.
Old 2011-08-17, 14:15   Link #784
Tetra Vaal
Banned

I'm watching 'Broken Arrow' at the moment... it's one of those really terrible movies that has a pretty good soundtrack. What a waste.
Old 2011-08-17, 14:20   Link #785
Yuno
Balanced Diet

Priest it was okay. I tend to enjoy action movies so I was able to get some entertainment out of it. Not great, but not utterly terrible. It's based off a Korean manga as well.
Yuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-17, 17:34   Link #786
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Meh not for me , Priest was like the others hollywood's shit remake and cie.

Anyway , watched "Zombies of Mass destruction" comedy zombies , that was quite funny
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-17, 19:55   Link #787
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

I was able to catch Hall Pass and Thor on a plane yesterday. I actually liked the former more.
Old 2011-08-22, 15:57   Link #788
YuriEcchiGirl

27 Dresses on TV (Film 4) Saturday night - Such a cute, sweet, fluffy & funny chick flick
Old 2011-08-22, 22:32   Link #789
Haladflire65
*Artist

Army of Darkness (1992), lol. Bruce Campbell is so awesome!
Old 2011-08-23, 01:36   Link #790
Revelation
lorem ipsum dolor sit ame
*Artist

I saw The Devil's Double yesterday, pretty good movie, but it was mainly the acting that sold me. Dominic Cooper was amazing at playing both lead roles.

If an anime movie counts in this thread, I watched the original Ghost in the Shell (1995) today, and that was great! (Now on to watch the rest of the series...)
Old 2011-08-23, 01:44   Link #791
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE
Y'know... with me working in an Electronics department... guess I should spend more time in here....

Rango: Probably one of the best animated movies I've seen. I've never been a big western man, but this movie just fit it soooo well together~

Rio: It was alright I guess.... I ended up hating the main character about halfway through the movie.... it's no Ice Age I guess~

Mars Needs Moms: This...... this was far better than I had thought it would be. Once you get past the stereotypical ending and all that, I found it to be pretty good for a kids movie.... better than that Rio stuff. Also helped to find out Seth Green was in the movie~
Old 2011-08-23, 09:26   Link #792
james0246

^Isn't Rango great . I just bought it on Blu-Ray and watched it again recently. Easily one of the best animated films in years.

That being said, I saw the Fright Night and Conan remakes (or reboot in Conan's case) over the weekend. Neither were particularly bad (though the 3D in Fright Night was easily the worst I have ever seen). In fact, Colin Farrell was very good in Fright Night (David Tenant was also fun to see), and Jason Momoa was okay as Conan. Still, neither movie was particularly good either. Lots of errors and annoyances throughout both films (F.N.'s entire second act felt too long, and the 3rd act meandered around a little too much; Conan simply plodded along). Still, it was okay entertainment.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-23, 10:01   Link #793
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^Isn't Rango great . I just bought it on Blu-Ray and watched it again recently. Easily one of the best animated films in years.

That being said, I saw the Fright Night and Conan remakes (or reboot in Conan's case) over the weekend. Neither were particularly bad (though the 3D in Fright Night was easily the worst I have ever seen). In fact, Colin Farrell was very good in Fright Night (David Tenant was also fun to see), and Jason Momoa was okay as Conan. Still, neither movie was particularly good either. Lots of errors and annoyances throughout both films (F.N.'s entire second act felt too long, and the 3rd act meandered around a little too much; Conan simply plodded along). Still, it was okay entertainment.
Haven't seen Conan yet but i've been told its biggest "flaw" is that it felt the need to get all the "Frazetta" poster art moments into the film. This is both good or bad depending on how it affected the storyline. People seem to think Jason plays a more book-authentic Conan. I figure its another "catch at the low-dollar matinee and I'll be pleased" item. I'm probably more interested in seeing how the adaptation of "John Carter of Mars" plays out --- the trailers are both intriguing and "uh oh" in some ways.
Old 2011-08-23, 11:38   Link #794
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

I just watched North by Northwest with my buddy this past weekend. It's one that I don't think I'll ever get tired of.
Old 2011-08-27, 19:38   Link #795
Haladflire65
*Artist

^ I've yet to see that! I loved all the Hitchcock movies I saw so far and I know North by Northwest is one of his best

Just saw Rise of the Planet of the Apes yesterday, it was pretty good save for a few unnecessary/unintentional funny moments. Overall nicely plotted, thrilling and surprisingly emotional, though! I liked it.
Old 2011-08-28, 02:39   Link #796
YuriEcchiGirl

Never Let Me Go - Oh my god, I've never cried so much at a movie as much as what I did to this
Old 2011-08-29, 10:06   Link #797
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

This weekend going through my videos it was A Bridge Too Far, which is an excellent case study of what-can-go-wrong-will-go-wrong, Enemy at the Gates, and Troy.

Last edited by Endless Soul; 2011-08-29 at 14:11. Reason: Spelling
Endless Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-29, 13:51   Link #798
Xagzan

Just saw District 9 on Starz last night. Powerful stuff.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-29, 14:21   Link #799
Tetra Vaal
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
Just saw District 9 on Starz last night. Powerful stuff.
Best sci-fi movie to come out in the last two years.
Old 2011-08-29, 20:20   Link #800
Mnemosyne
Ruler of the Universe

I just bought The Secret of Kells at the Borders-is-going-out-of-business sale the other day. I quite liked it. The animation and the music, especially.

And I followed that up with The Unknown, The Duellists and The Tempest. The first two weren't great, but the third was... interesting. I never expected to see Russell Brand doing Shakespeare.

Tags
live-action, movie, movies