AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-02-14, 07:33   Link #181
Stealther

I'd bet you're in the minority who think that. Neutral, while a compromise, is a compromise that would make most people satisfied because it is the closest to what everyone thinks, and every opinion matters.

The reason I brought it up for the in the first place was that I saw the chance/risk of "less" getting more votes than "same" or "more" individually. When, from the discussions, it was more than likely that people who voted "more" would prefer "same" rather than less.
Here you won't get punished for voting for something that has no chance, because every opinion matters (you don't have to guess which ones actually have chance to win and choose between them), and median strikes the golden mean. Which is not possible in normal awards where the animes are nominal.

As opposed to every discussion we've had so far, where it was all a matter of opinion in the end; this is very close being objectively correct rather than merely opinions.
Stealther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-14, 15:57   Link #182
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealther View Post
I'd bet you're in the minority who think that. Neutral, while a compromise, is a compromise that would make most people satisfied because it is the closest to what everyone thinks, and every opinion matters.

The reason I brought it up for the in the first place was that I saw the chance/risk of "less" getting more votes than "same" or "more" individually. When, from the discussions, it was more than likely that people who voted "more" would prefer "same" rather than less.
Here you won't get punished for voting for something that has no chance, because every opinion matters (you don't have to guess which ones actually have chance to win and choose between them), and median strikes the golden mean. Which is not possible in normal awards where the animes are nominal.

As opposed to every discussion we've had so far, where it was all a matter of opinion in the end; this is very close being objectively correct rather than merely opinions.
You can't say that it is a compromise, because the happy category has democratically more votes than the other 2 categories in your example.
The only way how the highest amount of votes will win by using the median is if that category gets more than 50% of all votes. In short unless one category is clearly dominating the others, you will never get a fair result by using the median as it only looks at the middle result, not the total result.

edit:
Example of an extreme case: there are 5 categories (not relevant what they are for this example and by using a likert scale we can number them to 1-5) and the results are

Eventhough 1 has much more votes than the other categories, if you are using the median you will get 2 as an result.

Last edited by hyl; 2012-02-14 at 16:09.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
choice awards