AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2006-09-20, 00:08   Link #381
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkers
eek, forgot it was licenced.
That's a relief. I was afraid you were encoding your R1 DVD. I'm a little bit molified to hear that you were actually encoding the Japanese R2 DVD.

I guess since you only watch the R2s, you can be forgiven for forgetting about licenses.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-20, 01:25   Link #382
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starks
Why are encoders wasting bitrate on larger filesizes? I've said it before and I'll say it again: WHY ARE WE SO GODDAMN AFRAID TO GO SMALLER?!?!?!
Because there are people like me who actually prefer watching animes _without_ blocking in the dark parts, _without_ ringing around sharp contrasts and still _with_ details in the background animation. In the cases of fansubs you very rarely can go below 170 without losing that (then you need near-perfect video sources, and you usually don't have those).

Yes, they may still look as good or even better than XviD encodes from 1-2 years ago, but why the hell should I limit my personal enjoyment watching a cleaner video by sacrificing the achievable better quality for some irrelevant megabytes? Frankly, most people couldn't care less if they have to wait 20 minutes for a download or 30. I certainly don't.

Quote:
I'm sick of Xvid and H.264 encodes being released together and sharing a common filesize (like 175MB) and I'm also sick of the stubbornness of certain encoders who stupidly choose to make the Xvid release the smaller and the H.264 the larger of the two releases.
Starks, if you ever want help from me again, this is a good time to STFU and get a clue. There are different groups of people with different priorities.

1) "I want want always worked, and I want it fast. As long as I can watch it, it's enough" - those are the avi viewers. They want this format because they know they'll have no problem with it, they only have a small comp, or they watch their anime on standalones on a TV screen. These are the folks getting the 170 meg avi. Right now, out of 10 fansub watchers, around 6-7 fall into this category.

2) "I want the show right now, in the best quality I can get". They aren't afraid of new tech, and they want to have the best picture and the best audio available for it. In general, these people don't care too much about filesizes and are the target audience for 170-233 meg mkv/mp4 releases. Out of 10 fansub watchers, 2-3 fall into this category.

3) "I want the best version possible, even if it means to wait a little". These are the folks which go for the h264 HD or DVD versions, and they don't care about filesize at all. 340 megs for a h264 mkv encode? No problem. After all, they will generally have downloaded version 2) aswell. Those extremists are around 1 out of 10.

The group which you seem to demand to cater to are "I want the newest tech resulting in the smallest encode at a reasonable quality". Frankly, the only group I've encountered which had this mix of preferences are technophile encoders. 1 out of 100 at best. Simply not worth dealing with, because the fewest fans really care about filesize. I never see "which version is the smallest" in the channels, but alot of questions "which version is better".

In any case, feel free to do your encodes in whichever format you prefer. But for now, chill and collect some experience before you diss around. It's the anime which matters, not the technology.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-20, 05:36   Link #383
checkers
Part 8
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to checkers
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
That's a relief. I was afraid you were encoding your R1 DVD. I'm a little bit molified to hear that you were actually encoding the Japanese R2 DVD.

I guess since you only watch the R2s, you can be forgiven for forgetting about licenses.
Although I'd love to be thought of as one of those hard-to-the-core anime watchers who knows japanese, gets the cultural references in FLCL and most of all buys japanese R2s - I'm afraid you couldn't get further from the truth
Since I live in Australia and we're R4, all the local releases are re-encoded trash, hence the field-blending. I don't buy DVDs anymore as imports are too expensive, so I just watch fansubs only. Anyway, I didn't forget the licenced status, I forgot the rules >_>
checkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-21, 00:00   Link #384
mog08

More questions,
If MKV is so superior to AVI at current, no playing back issues thanks to CCCP, why are fansub groups releasing XviDs parallel to x264s? Count the number of people downloading AVIs/MKVs, already answered in the 2nd previous post. The result is speed 175 AVIs remain undefeated, quality +50 MKVs fail to catch on. Speed (175 avi, fast produced, fast download, fast seeking) wins over quality (+50mb, slow transfer, slow seeking).
How are we moving forward with our legs being tied to a dying horse (AVI)?
Can we really move forward without dumping AVI?

What lies in the future of fansubbing? There is no future. AnimeSuki might become just a forum one day.
Shouldn't we be seriously thinking about to stop fansubbing? Animes have become over popular everywhere which ended fansubs' initial objective.
Can we find a new objective?
Is there really a future for fansubs?

I'm also seriously asking what "troll" means.
In the paperback dictionary i use,
troll /pronounciation/ noun, verb
# noun (in Scandinavian stories) a creature that looks like an ugly person. Some trolls are very large and evil, others are small and friendly but like to trick people.
# verb ~ (for sth) (especially AmE) to catch fish by pulling a line with BAIT on it through the water behind a boat: (figurative) to troll for votes
What TheFluffy said doesn't quite fit in either which left me troubled. Is this a word like "cool" that has a new meaning in the modern world?
mog08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-21, 00:08   Link #385
Alizar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mog08
More questions,
What lies in the future of fansubbing? There is no future. AnimeSuki might become just a forum one day.
Shouldn't we be seriously thinking about to stop fansubbing? Animes have become over popular everywhere which ended fansubs' initial objective.

In the context of an internet forum, a "troll" is someone who posts something outrageous/extremely cotentious for no reason other than to provoke angry responses. (It's a noun derived from the verb definition you posted. A "troll" is someone who "baits" people into starting flame wars)

But as to the future of fansubbing, there'll always be subs right up until series air simultaneously in North America/Europe and Japan. And even then some purists will want the original Japanese format. And speaking for myself, my "objective" with fansubs is to have fun. That's it.
Alizar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-21, 00:53   Link #386
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Let me respond to this point with a somewhat radical idea. In truth, much of what you said is undeniably the case. The original purpose for fansubbing is long past. It is quite true to say that in the fansub community there is no longer any unifying goal of any sort. Everyone has their own motives.

So let me propose a new purpose for fansubbing: We fansub to demonstrate to the licensing companies as well as the japanese companies the power we, as the most dedicated fans wield. WE satiate the most carnal urges of the fanbase, WE cater nearly exclusively to the hard-core audience, and WE CONTROL THE HOT PROPERTIES. Would suzumiya haruhi be stuck in a bidding war if it hadn't been fansubbed at all? NO.
Sure, there's plenty of good anime that fansubbing doesn't affect the sales of much. But the biggest hits, the true "money-makers", they are built on a fan-base of fansub watchers, and the companies realize this.
Fansubs will, as a matter of basic economic law, force distribution to be cheaper and more convinient. As companies realize they are competing with fansubs for some portion of their audience, they'll increase release schedules, and look more and more towards online distribution. I think that fansub distro has had a real impact on the development of internet streaming services in the US for cartoon network (adult swim's the fix and toonami's jetstream). Fansubs provide an example for "what THEY want", and by making them and distributing them, we set the standards for the anime distribution industry.

Fansubs are the power of the people, fansubs do more to influence the LEGAL anime we get than any letter writing campaign or boycott or legal action.

And Al Kahn is the devil.

(Maybe Hugo Chavez's speach rubbed off on me too much...)
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-21, 03:09   Link #387
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
If MKV is so superior to AVI at current, no playing back issues thanks to CCCP, why are fansub groups releasing XviDs parallel to x264s?
Because they want to, I imagine. That and because they (and the leechers, to an even higher degree) don't like change. Like you, they think the good old AVI is "good enough".

Quote:
Count the number of people downloading AVIs/MKVs, already answered in the 2nd previous post. The result is speed 175 AVIs remain undefeated, quality +50 MKVs fail to catch on. Speed (175 avi, fast produced, fast download, fast seeking) wins over quality (+50mb, slow transfer, slow seeking).
1. As I said, people don't like change
2. Bigger h264 than XviD is rare

Quote:
How are we moving forward with our legs being tied to a dying horse (AVI)?
Can we really move forward without dumping AVI?
Funny rethorics. Define "move forward". Also, eventualy we WILL move to another format, the wars right now are just the very beginning.

Quote:
Why halo thar Mr. Ethics. Now, I'd like to introduce you to the alien concept of "warez", which fansubs are and always were...

Quote:
In the paperback dictionary i use,
troll /pronounciation/ noun, verb
# noun (in Scandinavian stories) a creature that looks like an ugly person. Some trolls are very large and evil, others are small and friendly but like to trick people.
# verb ~ (for sth) (especially AmE) to catch fish by pulling a line with BAIT on it through the water behind a boat: (figurative) to troll for votes
What TheFluffy said doesn't quite fit in either which left me troubled. Is this a word like "cool" that has a new meaning in the modern world?
What Alizar said, more or less. You're a very successful troll since you've managed to get quite a few people to swallow the "bait" and flame you back. Congratulations.
See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-21, 04:34   Link #388
ffdshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar
Starks, if you ever want help from me again, this is a good time to STFU and get a clue. There are different groups of people with different priorities.
I think he was just getting excited about the new encoding tests.
ffdshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-21, 11:51   Link #389
Nicholi
King of Hosers

@Quarkboy, though your goal and new glory to the fansubbers is an awesome view of the future. I myself am much more pessimistic and I don't see that happening, particularly from this you said...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy
Fansubs will, as a matter of basic economic law, force distribution to be cheaper and more convinient. As companies realize they are competing with fansubs for some portion of their audience, they'll increase release schedules, and look more and more towards online distribution. I think that fansub distro has had a real impact on the development of internet streaming services in the US for cartoon network (adult swim's the fix and toonami's jetstream). Fansubs provide an example for "what THEY want", and by making them and distributing them, we set the standards for the anime distribution industry.
I am pretty sure that when companies begin truly "competing" with fansubbers, you are not going to be able to sit comfortably while you violate copyright without ever speaking to the owner. Your message seems to pose some anarchic view of the future where government bodies, money, and the copyright holder's interests do not exist. I think that when the above happens fansubbers are likely going to see many changes in how they are viewed by the law, which is going to be just like DVDrippers/warez distributors. Japanese copyright holders will eventually come out of their shells and they will prosecute. You will not be able to continue with the current NON-communication method of fansubbing. If you do not get express permission from the original copyright owners, you will not be able to fansub a series without worrying about a lawsuit.

I've always mildly wondered why all of the ethical fansubbers don't ask their shows beloved creators for the privilege to translate and subtitle the show. Well no I know that reason, they are just full of shit. "The creator wants us to fansub it, we just know. Psychic power and ethics ftw!" I am not under the delusion that that all (or even most) japanese companies want their shows to be translated and distributed by fans for free. It has always been treated as though they do not own the material, they do you do not. Some companies are much more possessive about their assets then others, and will not want unprofessional fans bumbling about with their content. Maybe I am just jaded by stupid american companies which view anything not controlled by them as a profit loss (MPAA/RIAA/etc). Even so as the situation stands, everyone treats it as perfectly normal to just take a show, ignore the fact that someone owns it somewhere, and do whatever they please with it (fansub/dub/parody). So long as it isn't licensed in their region it somehow doesn't matter. There likely are some companies that do want their show to be spread through the fanbase in order to gain more popularity in other regions for licensing. Hell the fansubbers could even get "zomg leet" insider info on how to correctly translate names/places/things. Think of that, fansubbers asking the creators if they can translate a show and also getting protips?! Lawls.

Back to getting on track though. The copyright holders (in both the U.S. as well as Japan) may not have enough money, power, or influence to pull everyone out of the internet and into a courtroom yet. One day they will though. And ignoring that, in my opinion, unquestionable part of the future you are just landing yourself in lots of trouble.

My suggestion, start forming a line of communication now. Though it is about 5 years late, better late then never. By showing everyone the mature and polite side of the fansub community you only bring good things. Because when the time of reckoning does come currently you have no one officially speaking on your side but yourself. Fan pleas won't stand that long. There have been about 5-6 years (I only include the digital fansubbing years because as has been stated multiple times, the original aim of fansubbing is long gone) of complete disregard for the copyright owner's interest and not once as far as I know was it considered that permission should be asked.

This of course is just my dark bleak view of the future. I don't see it as continuing to be "happy funland we can fansub forever and the world will ignore our blatant copyright violations." Or maybe everyone just believes in this dream world where all companies make a silent nod to fansubbing, but we dare not ask them to find out.
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-21, 13:58   Link #390
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Sylf Send a message via Yahoo to Sylf
Quote:
If MKV is so superior to AVI at current, no playing back issues thanks to CCCP, why are fansub groups releasing XviDs parallel to x264s?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff
1. As I said, people don't like change
I know that my group (Froth-Bite) falls in the minority in this sense - we made a hard and cold switch from xvid/avi to h.264/mp4. I chose mp4 over mkv because of just anti-mkv sentiment that ... well, I'll skip that part. That's really irrelevant here. I'm still considering mkv use for this upcoming project, which has 5.1 audio source. Anyway.

Because I know there will be people who are resistive of the change, I decided to be somewhat crude way on this. It was my intention to force people to accept the change. I was fully aware that I could be leaving some people out in the cold. But after I figured the absolute minimum system requirement of our encodes after some experimentations, I also knew that vast majority of people will be capable to view our encodes.

Some people did have problems at first. But it's been 9 months since we made that switch. By now, we hardly ever hear many people having problems anymore. And there are shows that only we sub too.

All I have to say... people are capable of accepting the changes. There may be people who whine about the change, but we can't keep serving those minorities forever. Even Microsoft takes bold steps such as dropping the official support of older Windows products, even when they're aware that there are some people who still use those old versions of Windows.
Sylf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-21, 14:55   Link #391
Ishimaru-kun
My one and only

Send a message via AIM to Ishimaru-kun Send a message via MSN to Ishimaru-kun Send a message via Yahoo to Ishimaru-kun
I for one love h.264 We need quality over speed! If there's an HD version of an anime out, I'd MUCH rather wait the extra day or two, then watching the quick lower res xvid version. Just because people have slower computers, doesn't mean we (the people with faster computers) have to suffer because they lag behind. I'm so glad that groups have been releasing higher res version of the anime, and it's even better because my video card helps accelerate h.264 BTW, gj Froth-Bite on wanting quality over speed
Ishimaru-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-21, 16:01   Link #392
emptyeighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylf
By now, we hardly ever hear many people having problems anymore.
Just to add to this from my personal experience: When i started helping people with playback problems in #CCCP about six months ago there were about 2-3 people a day with problems. Now there's hardly one in two days in my "shift" (European timezone) - and that is considering CCCP is downloaded an estimated 400.000 times each month. So in conclusion it's safe to say that h.264/mkv/mp4 is ready for the primetime in every way.
emptyeighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-21, 17:33   Link #393
Ishimaru-kun
My one and only

Send a message via AIM to Ishimaru-kun Send a message via MSN to Ishimaru-kun Send a message via Yahoo to Ishimaru-kun
I don't think too many people are looking at their CPU usage when watching an anime. As long as it plays smooth, thats good enough for them.
Ishimaru-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-21, 19:10   Link #394
Nei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylf
Even Microsoft takes bold steps such as dropping the official support of older Windows products, even when they're aware that there are some people who still use those old versions of Windows.
Windows has vastly different hardware requirements than h264 though.
Vista still works fine where your h264 releases are already unwatchable.

Of course it's still your right to ignore minorities
Nei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-21, 21:40   Link #395
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nei
Excuse me, dear sir, but I call that bullshit(tm). According to the preliminary requirements, Vista requires an 800 MHz CPU and 512 MB RAM to even BOOT (not to mention 15 GB of free HD space) - to run the fancy features you'd need 1 GB of RAM and a 1.5 GHz CPU. Even with (a recent build of) libavcodec for decoder, 800 MHz is very likely enough to play simple 640x480 hardsubbed H264 releases with AAC audio, especially in MPlayer. With CoreAVC, there'd be no challenge whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nei
It's also generally accepted that it's a good idea to ignore idiots that have no technical grasp of the subject whatsoever. Unfortunately, said idiots frequently think that having an "opinion" entitles them to speak on the subject with authority.

Seriously, people. What the fuck is with all the whining, trolling and moronic rethorical tricks? It's not like h264 is coming to invade your comfortable computer chairs in force - at least not yet (unfortunately, I might add). I suggest that if you want encodes done your way, start encoding them. Oh, wait, you can't, since you're not encoders. Too bad for you that if you have to accept the work of someone else, you also have to accept their way of doing it.

(BTW: if you didn't understand it yet... yes, this post is a very deliberate insult. I spent quite a bit of work on it, so I hope you like it.)
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-21, 22:06   Link #396
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nei
Excuse me, dear sir, but I call that bullshit(tm). According to the preliminary requirements, Vista requires an 800 MHz CPU and 512 MB RAM to even BOOT (not to mention 15 GB of free HD space) - to run the fancy features you'd need 1 GB of RAM and a 1.5 GHz CPU. Even with (a recent build of) libavcodec for decoder, 800 MHz is very likely enough to play simple 640x480 hardsubbed H264 releases with AAC audio, especially in MPlayer. With CoreAVC, there'd be no challenge whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nei
It's also generally accepted that it's a good idea to ignore idiots that have no technical grasp of the subject whatsoever. Unfortunately, said idiots frequently think that having an "opinion" entitles them to speak on the subject with authority.

Seriously, people. What the fuck is with all the whining, trolling and moronic rethorical tricks? It's not like h264 is coming to invade your comfortable computer chairs in force - at least not yet (unfortunately, I might add). I suggest that if you want encodes done your way, start encoding them. Oh, wait, you can't, since you're not encoders. Too bad for you that if you have to accept the work of someone else, you also have to accept their way of doing it.

(BTW: if you didn't understand it yet... yes, this post is a very deliberate insult. I spent quite a bit of work on it, so I hope you like it.)
Well I think I'll continue in TheFluff's vein because he forgot something quite important in his discussion of your stupidity (I couldn't bear to use the word foolishness, stupidity is more proper in this sense). Did you ever use the noodle-like object in your head to wonder why H.264 explicitly did not work on Windows Vista? Maybe this is new information to you, but Vista is still not finished. The letters RC, which stand for Release Candidate, come after the title you downloaded for a reason. Gaspu! Perhaps that was too much of a shock and I should have told you to sit down first. Did you hurt yourself? Are you ok? Ohnoes his head is bleeding ;-;. Well nothing in there working anyways.

I am sorry you are one of the most pathetically stupid minorities which have to use the latest not ready for primetime technology. Anything you can get your grubby little hands on eh? Here is suggestion in the form of a list to help you playing H.264 content.

1. reformat
2. do not install vista
3. ???
4. profit

It really is that simple folks. If you somehow think H.264 is explicitly allergic to Windows Vista, perhaps you should recall the RC words you see in front of you. Not that I believe a lick of what you said about it not working on Vista, but finding another reason to call someone a newb is always fun. If you are in fact interested at all in Vista development, and somehow actually believe anything you have said, perhaps you should alert them to your startling discovery. I am sure they would be pleased to fix it if such a problem existed, which to my knowledge it does not.

Here is a lovely pic to complement TheFluff's post.

Last edited by Nicholi; 2006-09-21 at 22:16.
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-21, 23:19   Link #397
Ronbo

VISTA (virus infection and spyware transmission architecture)
Ronbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-21, 23:31   Link #398
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
BTW, you don't need DX9 graphics card to run Vista Basic... My card is DX8.1 and runs it fine.
Old 2006-09-22, 00:32   Link #399
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Sylf Send a message via Yahoo to Sylf
Whoa Nicholi... Did you mix up the point of comparison of running Vista vs h.264 on other windows into h.264 on Vista? Anyway. 800Mhz minimum for Vista, huh? That's cool. That means if you can run Vista, you can watch h.264 stuff that we've been releasing up to this point. (No guarantee, since I don't know when we'll feel like releasing 720p encodes in the future...) Earlier this year, my staff member has made couple posts stating that he had no problem watching our released materials on his 733Mhz PIII machine. Only with that information in our hand, we've decided to make a hard switch.

Sure, we may have left those people who use 450Mhz machine in the cold. But like many people has echoed each other: we're not going to keep supporting 8 year old cutting edge technologies forever.

It so happens that we chose to shrink our file size when we made the switch. It helps out those who have slower broadband connections. I know that there are many regions where they can't get any faster than 256kbps sdsl or even adsl. Or people who are STILL stuck on dial ups. We may have ditched those people who's refusing to upgrade their PCs. But we've invited those people who's stuck in those situations.

Sure, we can't make everyone happy. But I don't think we've lost that many deal of fans from the switch over either, if at all. If we lost 'em, that'd be because of our speed of our release, which is totally unrelated to speed of x264.

Yes, we excersize our right to ignore the minority. But the size of minority is much smaller than you may believe.
Sylf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-22, 02:06   Link #400
Eliath
Rararu~

For those who still think a 1GHz or even a 2GHz CPU being "incredibly high end technology" and a dual core CPU being "OMG, future technology!!!111ONE!!", look at the following:

AMD:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/V...04_609,00.html

AMD 64 processors below 3200+ and Sempron processors below 2800+ are no longer being sold commercially by AMD

Intel:

http://www.intel.com/intel/finance/p...price_list.pdf

Pentium 4 processors below 2.8GHz and Celeron below 2.23GHZ are no longer being sold commercially by Intel. Take note that Intel’s pricelist is 2 months old, more products might have already been taken out.

Do take note that some processors in both list have already went End of Life (EOL); Intel and AMD are no longer producing the CPUs and once stocks are emptied, they will be removed from the pricelist.

1GHz CPUs have been avaliable for more then 6 years, we should NOT be limited by "lack of CPU power".
Eliath is offline   Reply With Quote