Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-08, 07:53   Link #741
Narzia
┐(-。ー')┌

I guess mine would be:

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Haruhi is so cute. She's wasted in that anime.
Lucky Star - Don't really know what to say.. i just don't like it.
Neon Genesis Evangelion - I hate the art style. I hate the colors, i hate the characters and i hate the "left to ones interpretation" mindfucking.
Naruto - I like the manga though.
Dragonball - While i somewhat enjoyed the first few arcs, by the time it reached Z i was already bored to tears.
Old 2008-09-11, 17:56   Link #742
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermes Marana View Post
Code Geass is another story. It is shameful how people give it good ratings, thus poisoning the minds of impressionable kids who read those reviews.

Watching Code Geass is the equivalent of eating Pizza Hut at every meal until your body and mind are both pimple-covered mush. It is the most unhealthy show ever made.
Congrats for making no sense and sounding completely ridiculous. You could at least back up your statements.
Old 2008-09-11, 18:10   Link #743
Ermes Marana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Congrats for making no sense and sounding completely ridiculous. You could at least back up your statements.

That post was a response to the previous post which called it "shameful" to say CG is bad. I should have quoted to make it clear.

Of course, neither is really shameful. If you think it is good, or you think it is bad, nothing wrong with that.

...except that it is a very unhealthy show, and should not be served to minors.

The show itself is shameful. But the people who like it are not.

Last edited by Ermes Marana; 2008-09-11 at 19:41.
Old 2008-09-11, 19:47   Link #744
Traece
:cool:

... Ok if Code Geass is the equivalent of eating Pizza Hut to near-death, then I'm NEVER going to stop watching it.

I'm amazed so many people said Last Exile. I never knew of any Last Exile hype.

5: Ghost in the Shell. So many people seem to like it... But I dunno I don't get what's so great about it.

4: Naruto. Now I wont say I don't understand the Naruto. The annoyance about Naruto is that it's yet another endless series that gets VERY old before the first part of the series is even half over. By the time you end the Exam arc, you've experienced all Naruto really has to offer. Then I'd say arc of Shippuden and it's just as worthless all over again. I actually do like Naruto, and I think it has a wonderful story. It's just stale.

3: Bleach. Pretty much the same issue with Naruto. However, Bleach is a thousand times more entertaining for me than Naruto ever was. The problem is that it runs in to that staleness when you realize that the biggest achievement Ichigo has and ever will make is beating Byakuya, and I'm not even sure where he found that power because from then 'til now he's possibly the weakest looking Soul Reaper I have EVER laid eyes on. You couldn't make him look more pathetic if you replaced his Zangetsu with a foam model of the Zangetsu. Just as well, they actually interrupt the series mid-arc for the sake of allowing the manga to expand. Personally... I would've preferred they just halted and did what the other animes do. WAIT HALF A YEAR FOR A NEW SEASON.

2: Death Note. Now don't get me wrong, this series is actually good. Now, everyone knows what I'm going to say next. I'll summarize this and make it easier to read: 'L' dies and this series ENDS in the realm of entertainment value. Watch it until the episode that he dies, and then skip to the last episode. PERFECT series. This half-series is too popular as far as I'm concerned, considering it's only half-decent.

And finally #1...

FLCL, I tip my hat off to you. I'm not going to go in to my reasons for this one, since that would be a LOT of text. Put it this way... Of all the anime I have EVER laid eyes upon, FLCL is the only one I actually HATED. Every other anime was bearable and decent. This one was just terrible. You can all watch it if you want... But meh.

I considered DBZ for this list but here's the problem with that:

It's actually hilarious to watch half-naked grown men with oversized muscles scream at the top of the lungs and glow gold for the sake of saving Krillin. AGAIN...
Old 2008-09-11, 20:19   Link #745
MikoKikyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
4: Naruto. Now I wont say I don't understand the Naruto. The annoyance about Naruto is that it's yet another endless series that gets VERY old before the first part of the series is even half over. By the time you end the Exam arc, you've experienced all Naruto really has to offer. Then I'd say arc of Shippuden and it's just as worthless all over again. I actually do like Naruto, and I think it has a wonderful story. It's just stale.
That's surprising to me, that people think that Naruto is stale. Maybe it's because I used to watch Inuyasha. Now there's a show that becomes stale after the first initial arc. Compared to Inuyasha, later Naruto arcs are a pure roller-coaster ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
2: Death Note. Now don't get me wrong, this series is actually good. Now, everyone knows what I'm going to say next. I'll summarize this and make it easier to read: 'L' dies and this series ENDS in the realm of entertainment value. Watch it until the episode that he dies, and then skip to the last episode. PERFECT series. This half-series is too popular as far as I'm concerned, considering it's only half-decent.
True, but, by the same reasoning, if you stipulate that the series ends de facto with L's death, then the series is simply PERFECT.

Quote:
I considered DBZ for this list but here's the problem with that:

It's actually hilarious to watch half-naked grown men with oversized muscles scream at the top of the lungs and glow gold for the sake of saving Krillin. AGAIN...
Hahaha... ... Just... great sentence.
Old 2008-09-15, 19:16   Link #746
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

1. Haruhi. I see no redeeming points for this anime. i didnt find it funny and only one character likeable. i would like to give haruhi the 2-5 place as well, but for fairness i wont. (Btw the one character i like is the one with the glasses. Haruhi annoys me to no end that i wish i could enter the anime just to strangle her)

2. Bleach. Im not saying its bad. i watched a few eps and it was entertaining, but it was a ordinary shonen with nothing special to warrant that kind of fandom.

3. Neon Genesis Evangelion. Hailed by some as the god of anime, its nothing special.

4. Princess mononoke ^see above. Entertaining and very well written, but not as high and mighty as people put it.

5. Naruto. neverending and slow. You wait for something to happen but it takes 10 eps to move one step.

I would like to add DBZ, but it pretty much got me into anime (along with gundam wing) so its special for me
Old 2008-09-15, 20:11   Link #747
Supah Em
WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
*Scanlator

DBZ is like the lone exception to the shounen-is-too-long-that-I-hate-it genre because the current generation of anime fans today have at least watched DBZ and state it as the reason that got them into anime in the first place. Ever wonder why there are jabs here and there about DBZ(Think Freeza/Cooler ) but it doesnt escalate to the hate that Bleach and Naruto get?

DBZ, while technically a shounen(at times a boring one), will never be put in the same sentence with 'overrated' because it is one of the culprits in making most of the pre-teen/teen/young adults year watch anime in the first place.
Old 2008-09-15, 22:05   Link #748
MikoKikyo

DBZ makes me feel old I remember the time when DBZ was fresh off the oven like it was yesterday. And now it's like a classic from a past round of anime shows
Old 2008-09-15, 22:54   Link #749
X10A_Freedom

1. Eureka 7. It apprently gets very good...pretty far in. After watching the first 4-5 episodes, I dropped it because the main character was such a pain in the backside, and a complete airhead.

2. = Naruto/Bleach, but I am actually way above the main target audience of 6-12 year olds. So it beats me how late teens (and even some university students) love these. Naruto has severe pacing issues, while Bleach is like Dragonball Z except it remains to be seen whether it would be responsible of bringing in a whole new generation of anime watchers.

4. Geass R2. The first Geass was great, unique, cheesy, cliched, and recycled all at the same time. I find that some of the sequence of events in R2 are hard to follow and even make sense of, and this is also something Sunrise traditionally didn't care about anyway. At least, the latest Schnizel vs Lelouche battle seem to have the sparkle of classic Geass battles.

5. Haruhi, a total "^£$^ of a character. Production perfect, character not. Although I'm contemplating a re-watch soon (got nothing to watch in fall season) because Kyon is hilarious and now that I know Haruhi is a £"%^$, I can probably refrain from getting p%$"£ off and actually enjoy the sarcasm. Character development in season 2 might turn out interesting though.
http://veniceorigination.blogspot.com
Old 2008-09-17, 17:18   Link #750
BigGimp77

Quote:
Originally Posted by X10A_Freedom View Post
4. Geass R2. The first Geass was great, unique, cheesy, cliched, and recycled all at the same time. I find that some of the sequence of events in R2 are hard to follow and even make sense of, and this is also something Sunrise traditionally didn't care about anyway.
I agree completely.

I liked GeassR1 quite a bit, it was silly but atleast enjoyable. R2 comes of as silly in a "this is a mess" silly and isn't the least bit enjoyable.

This season is just so horrible idk how people think of it so highly. The plot is a jumbled mess. It feels rushed. The plot twist happen WAY too often, are redundent, and pack no punch. Also the twist are pretty far fetched in some cases. Character personalities that were built up in R1 are now changing constantly. It's so rediculous and frustrating. It's a shame that with good animation, voice work, and music that they can't make a decent plot.

I don't really have 4 other overrated animes that come to mind. I just finished watching episodes 23 of R2 I needed to vent. It's like after every episode I'm left with a dissapointed, "wow are you serious " mood. Episode 23 just sent me over the edge.

Last edited by BigGimp77; 2008-09-18 at 19:28.
Old 2008-09-17, 18:51   Link #751
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

I agree with X10A as I have a time or two in the thread before. Fun with no substance is still fun. Though good music... I laugh.
Sunrise seems to use all of its musical resources on its other series, Gundam, Mai-___, etc. Even series ten years older had better soundtracks: GaoGaiGar, Escaflowne... Code Geass' music makes me laugh when it tries to create drama and is uninteresting for other moments at best.

Haruhi was always a satirical character, the antithesis of the coy, perfect girl, mixing major genki with tsundere. Some loved her, some enjoyed her character without really feeling strongly for her, and some just hated her.
Old 2008-09-17, 19:18   Link #752
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++

quote Originally Posted by Ermes Marana View Post
Code Geass is another story. It is shameful how people give it good ratings, thus poisoning the minds of impressionable kids who read those reviews.

Watching Code Geass is the equivalent of eating Pizza Hut at every meal until your body and mind are both pimple-covered mush. It is the most unhealthy show ever made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
are you kidding? that code geas and pizza pimple explanation makes so much sense to me
Old 2008-09-18, 01:04   Link #753
solomon

I'm going to follow up on the Geass problem.

I don't think Geass is a bad show. The director and head scriptwriter are talented individuals and they handle the basic direction and plot/characters well.

My problem is that people equate Geass as an anime equivalent of a BBC2 drama or PBS miniseries cause of it's ""realistic characters" or social commentary" on war, nationality or whatever else.

Code Geass touches on these things sure, but to equate them with something on the level of like Syriana or Munich is totally blowing things out of proportion.

It's writing doesn't deserve the praise it did cause it has too many silly anime cliches;

Character Archtypes; I think we need to dispel any real discussion of the very "realistic" qualities of these characters. They have many qualities and idosyncracies to be deemed empathetic but FAAARR too many characters have these silly qualities to appeal to the hardcore anime audience. (Euphemia, Suzaku are particular offenders. But the worst is Mao, I don't think I need to say anything else).

Plot Devices;
-Mecha, the mecha in Geass is nifty but you have to understand the sheer ridicolousness of the mecha ruin any hope of taking the story "seriously", mecha in anime often time is to sell model kits, remember.
-The Geass is a fun device but whored to extreme levels to facilitate plot progression just as a copout, IMHO. Especially in R2, where I hear SOO MANY characters had a Geass.

Plot Twists; Plot twists are juicy but can be a real double edged sword. A huge smattering of them can really wear out the suspension of disbelief even in a "cartoon".
Code Geass piled them on to such a degree that by the time you reach the end, you're like "Oh Orange kun is revived from the dead, meh whatever." The plot twists become masturbatory, just there for the fuck of it. The exact timing of each said plot twists in geass helps (like the Euphemia-eleven genocide bit) but after a while it ruins a stories texture and balance.

In conclusion; Code Geass is a fun show, rather well excecuted and enjoyable for me even all my beefs with it.

IT AINT NO MASTERPIECE. It's too goddamn hung up with these otaku oriented plot and visual design pratfalls that in the wide world of anime, it can't compare to the ambitiousness of Evangelion, the Nuance and depth of Ghost in the Shell or the ACTUALLY GENUINE HUMANITY of Ghibli films. Most anime doesn't have that because it's too busy dumbing down characters/plot for kids or whoring superficial elements (tsundere/moe char. archtypes or mech powerups) for a super hardcore anime audience.

To it's credit anime does A MUCH BETTER JOB at these 3 said things then most American Animation, but relying on such a low standard is bad cause personally I think if we really took most popular anime out of it's little box, and rate it with a MUCH wider array of dramatic/comedic productions either japanese or western many shows wouldn't wouldn't hold up. After anime IS NOT A GENRE. It's a medium, a subset of television or movies (which are vessels of storytelling either comedic or dramatic).
Old 2008-09-18, 02:03   Link #754
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

@solomon: Yes, those are all very good points, but one thing I want to add about the mecha and its role as a plot device, is that too often mecha battles are decided less by strategy and more by a technological edge or advancement that's deployed with perfect timing. We had the Guren Mk-II, the flying mecha, etc, etc. Too many times mecha battles are decided by whoever has the latest upgrade. It might be realistic (military success and technology are inextricably linked), but it happened too frequently and was too blatant a plot device to be lauded as good writing.

I don't think Code Geass R2 is a bad show either (it does what it intends to do, ie, entertain), but to praise it as a masterpiece is absolutely laughable. It doesn't have the restraint of a masterpiece for starters.
Old 2008-09-18, 02:35   Link #755
solomon

Hmm, good point Sorrow-K. My pal in college pointed out that problem in the Gundam Seed series. Admittedly, I'm not on the mental wavelength to appreciate mecha technology or war strategy as it applies to many of these SF shows, so I can't comment on that at any length.
Old 2008-09-18, 02:46   Link #756
solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by X10A_Freedom View Post
1. Eureka 7. It apprently gets very good...pretty far in. After watching the first 4-5 episodes, I dropped it because the main character was such a pain in the backside, and a complete airhead.

2. = Naruto/Bleach, but I am actually way above the main target audience of 6-12 year olds. So it beats me how late teens (and even some university students) love these. Naruto has severe pacing issues, while Bleach is like Dragonball Z except it remains to be seen whether it would be responsible of bringing in a whole new generation of anime watchers.

4. Geass R2. The first Geass was great, unique, cheesy, cliched, and recycled all at the same time. I find that some of the sequence of events in R2 are hard to follow and even make sense of, and this is also something Sunrise traditionally didn't care about anyway. At least, the latest Schnizel vs Lelouche battle seem to have the sparkle of classic Geass battles.

5. Haruhi, a total "^£$^ of a character. Production perfect, character not. Although I'm contemplating a re-watch soon (got nothing to watch in fall season) because Kyon is hilarious and now that I know Haruhi is a £"%^$, I can probably refrain from getting p%$"£ off and actually enjoy the sarcasm. Character development in season 2 might turn out interesting though.

INteresting choices pal.

I totally agree with stances on Naruto/Bleach or even most shonen brawlers/adverntures in particular. Too many boys adventure shows have DBZ syndrome; in addition to one dimensional "GOOD and EVIL" characters, too many gimmicks just equated to power up/level up figthing. This isn't necessarily bad (Soul Eater is a fun one) but when you watch the same thing for 5 years straight, you have to have the patience of a saint to still appreciate it (or have really low standards).

Haruhi;
I think Haruhi is worthy of it's praise as a comedy in comparison to many anime comedies. It's writing feels more natural scince it seems to flow better from the characters as opposed to shoehorning rigid gag structures in it. It doesn't rely on hackened slapstick and annoying SD takes, A RARITY. The writing and directing complement each other so the humor comes really from characters not gags, MUCH better in the long run. The satire of Moe was great too, even though A HUGE portion of Haruhi fandom is moe fandom. (ironic?)
Also, It's unorthodox broadcast order WAS GREAT FUN.

As a drama, meh. It's pathos got kinda sappy after a while (this is from me watching the out of order broadcast version that was originally fansubbed). One thing that helped was Kyon as a character, he made the Haruhi-Kyon relationship work, because while Haruhi was entertaining, her character was too "managed" in idosyncracy to be particularly well empathetic. She was "literally" a catyclist for things happening around her.
Old 2008-09-18, 08:53   Link #757
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
I don't think Geass is a bad show. The director and head scriptwriter are talented individuals and they handle the basic direction and plot/characters well.
Do they really? What about the 3248394839 plot twists too many in the second season? You mention them but I don't see how one can argue that there are many nonsensical plot twists and also that the writer handles the plot well.

Quote:
-Mecha, the mecha in Geass is nifty but you have to understand the sheer ridicolousness of the mecha ruin any hope of taking the story "seriously", mecha in anime often time is to sell model kits, remember.
Not that there is any love lost between me and the mecha genre but there are millions of people who take Star Wars seriously. Mechas are no more ridiculous than lightsabres and The Force.

Old 2008-09-19, 09:38   Link #758
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
going further ont he code geass problem omg a geass fan turning against the show(?!), no I love the show for obvious reasons but there are thinsg that annoy me about it and make it overrated and that are the die tard fans that are now being attracted to it that make it overrated witht heir constant geass is epic and awsome talk.. like a new breed of narutards -_-;

what made R2 kind of overrated is the fact that they not only changed the whole script but it is all writting now in a way that the fanbase grows with retards, they made a milking script of R2 some twists just dont make any sense at all without proper explanation

other shows to add would possibly be death note and a lot more, I can list them all fromt he suggestion thread, people automatically count up a list of the last 2 years as if those shows were the absolute best while forgetting about the epic older shows where it all started or where they stole some of the designs or plot from =P (some include: lucky star, haruhi, gurren lagann etc.) its like you ask for something and its like wham watch gurren lagann and youre lik eer I saw that already got any other suggestions.. and then more shows of not so long ago or that still run that you already know about because everyone is always suggesting it
Old 2008-09-19, 10:06   Link #759
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
It might be realistic (military success and technology are inextricably linked), but it happened too frequently and was too blatant a plot device to be lauded as good writing.
Inacurate. It's always been equally important to have: great numbers, good maintanence and good inteligence. Also, while flashy moves may make you look good, real combat requires real fighting tactics. Something just-made-up or random zig zags don't work and are just flash for 8-year-olds. I won't even start to mention amunition.

When it comes to military stuff, most anime fail, miserably.

(yeah I don't like CG R2 either)
Old 2008-09-19, 20:06   Link #760
solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Inacurate. It's always been equally important to have: great numbers, good maintanence and good inteligence. Also, while flashy moves may make you look good, real combat requires real fighting tactics. Something just-made-up or random zig zags don't work and are just flash for 8-year-olds. I won't even start to mention amunition.

When it comes to military stuff, most anime fail, miserably.

(yeah I don't like CG R2 either)

Have you tried FLAG?
Closed Thread